Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chrisp390
Topic Author

Insane Backlog At DHL CVG Hub

Wed May 26, 2021 11:50 pm

I was recently talking with a friend who mentioned at his work their shipments going through DHL right now are getting stuck at CVG for up to 3 weeks due to a huge backlog there.

He told me their DHL account manager said they have implemented restrictions on what they will accept (only small packages) and are considering further restrictions to get the backlog under control.

How are Atlas and ABX handling this? Does anyone have more info on what is causing it? Is this only a DHL issue or FedEx and UPS are also seeing similar issues?

DaCubbyBearBar

Re: Insane Backlog At DHL CVG Hub

Thu May 27, 2021 12:34 pm

That is an unacceptable amount of time to get a shipment processed through their hub. Thanks for the news. I will make sure to advise all of my business associates to stay away from DHL. Sounds like they are being run by the Post Office. I have done 4 shipments with FedEx in the last 3 weeks, and everything arrived on time or earlier than planned.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

CLJFlyer

Thu May 27, 2021 12:37 pm

We are in the same predicament with my company except our freight is going through ORD. 3-4 week bottlenecks AFTER they arrive at ORD. Stay away from DHL forwarding at the moment.

CALMSP

Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 pm

DHL at CVG is in a meltdown scenario, pushing through way more tonnage and being short of ULD's/

jetmatt777

Thu May 27, 2021 2:38 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
That is an unacceptable amount of time to get a shipment processed through their hub. Thanks for the news. I will make sure to advise all of my business associates to stay away from DHL. Sounds like they are being run by the Post Office. I have done 4 shipments with FedEx in the last 3 weeks, and everything arrived on time or earlier than planned.

People always dog on USPS, but they have always been the most reliable carrier for my shipments. Always on time and occasionally early.

nws2002

Thu May 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Wonder if this is affecting Amazon at all since they use the DHL sort facilities in CVG during the day as well?

airbazar

Thu May 27, 2021 4:58 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

People always dog on USPS, but they have always been the most reliable carrier for my shipments. Always on time and occasionally early.

Agree 100%. The USPS may be financially problematic but their operations are top notch, far better than FedEx or UPS in my experience. Maybe that's why they can't be profitable. They don't charge enough for the high quality of service that they provide.

CALMSP

Thu May 27, 2021 5:59 pm

nws2002 wrote:
Wonder if this is affecting Amazon at all since they use the DHL sort facilities in CVG during the day as well?

Not so much since they operate opposite of each other and the floors are sweeped at turnover

umichman

Thu May 27, 2021 6:07 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Not my experience. Although this was from several months ago, but I had a couple of heavily delayed USPS packages while Fedex/UPS didn't have any significant delays.

BHRN

Thu May 27, 2021 6:08 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
We are in the same predicament with my company except our freight is going through ORD. 3-4 week bottlenecks AFTER they arrive at ORD. Stay away from DHL forwarding at the moment.

DHL (global) forwarding is a completely separate entity from DHL express (which operates the CVG Hub). They don't even share their linehaul and facilities.

ER757

Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Yes, you should always base your business decisions on rumors without any links posted on an internet discussion forum. I think they cover that in business school :sarcastic:

wr911

Thu May 27, 2021 8:45 pm

A big fan USPS, not been impressed with DHL and FedEx has lots of delays as well. My problem, many our shipments are 500 - 2000 kg, so might be getting bumped because of space limitations. The real problem, not enough regular flights (LH, BA, AC etc) in the air.

Independence76

Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 pm

4 weeks ago I shipped an insured large package from NRT to DFW via CVG using DHL Express. They are always on time, but my package ended up getting delayed 48 hours due to them "not having a scheduled flight on a Friday to DFW." This is very strange, and it's usually daily as far as I know, and FR24 showed no schedule for any flight.

Are they having fleet issues that are causing national transit of packages to be delayed or stuck at CVG?

And with that said...I have another insured package from DHL Express on the same route right now, and the app is telling me a June 1st arrival. I also recently shipped another item with FedEx Express from Japan, so we'll see which one gets here faster!

rampbro

Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Drop it Hide it Lose it

klakzky123

Thu May 27, 2021 10:17 pm

airbazar wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Agree 100%. The USPS may be financially problematic but their operations are top notch, far better than FedEx or UPS in my experience. Maybe that's why they can't be profitable. They don't charge enough for the high quality of service that they provide.

They're essentially required to lose money on mail delivery at this point. USPS lost control of the ability to fairly price stamps in 2006. Since then, they are only limited to basic inflation adjusted increases. Combined with declining mail volumes and its almost impossible to make that part of the business work. They also have the problem with pre-funding pensions (that no one else has to do).

LCDFlight

Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 pm

Huh I just checked a rather heavy DHL shipment of car parts I got shipped out of LHR today. Hopefully it does not go through CVG.

wjcandee

Thu May 27, 2021 10:43 pm

The question I have about the supposed CVG "meltdown" is:
(a) is it a Sort issue?
(b) is it a Lift issue?
(c) is it a Customs issue?

Presumably, DHL manages to sort what it has to sort every day, or they would be trying some sort of workaround in hours when the facility isn't active.
It's hard to imagine that it's a lift issue OUT of CVG, because the kinds of delays we're discussing here (days and days) means that it could just have been put on a truck if there is no lift for it Stateside. Could it be a customs/clearance issue? That's usually what they are very good at (and charge out the butt for).

Nobody has put a finger on where the problem lies, and I think knowing that would be helpful. It's not like they couldn't double up on certain flights for a day or two to clear a backlog if there was one. Most CVG flight are a couple of hours into the hub, a few hour sit, and a couple of hours back, followed by a very-extended sit. Most of the aircraft would have no issues doing double-duty daily if needed for a couple of days.

Now, ORD and some other major commercial hubs are a mess, due to ground staffing issues, etc., as documented in the Journal a few weeks ago. But CVG? The ground staff on DHL Express flights are DHL staff there, and I haven't heard anything about them having staffing issues.

armagnac2010

Thu May 27, 2021 10:55 pm

I just got in Montreal a DHL parcel shipped Monday from China, via CVG. They are obviously applying the dreaded FILO (first in last out) approach.

Appart from that, I have to second the statements above. Postes Canada, USPS, Deutsche Post, La Poste, etc. all provide very good service for the money.

UPS is a complete joke, FEDEX following closely.

SteelChair

Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 am

Are there metrics defining customer service in the cargo/package industries.

dstblj52

Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 am

wjcandee wrote:
(a) is it a Sort issue?
(b) is it a Lift issue?

Presumably, DHL manages to sort what it has to sort every day, or they would be trying some sort of workaround in hours when the facility isn't active.
It's hard to imagine that it's a lift issue OUT of CVG, because the kinds of delays we're discussing here (days and days) means that it could just have been put on a truck if there is no lift for it Stateside. Could it be a customs/clearance issue? That's usually what they are very good at (and charge out the butt for).

Nobody has put a finger on where the problem lies, and I think knowing that would be helpful. It's not like they couldn't double up on certain flights for a day or two to clear a backlog if there was one. Most CVG flight are a couple of hours into the hub, a few hour sit, and a couple of hours back, followed by a very-extended sit. Most of the aircraft would have no issues doing double-duty daily if needed for a couple of days.

Now, ORD and some other major commercial hubs are a mess, due to ground staffing issues, etc., as documented in the Journal a few weeks ago. But CVG? The ground staff on DHL Express flights are DHL staff there, and I haven't heard anything about them having staffing issues.

Cargo has been slammed for the last little bit so their might not be much if any excess capacity, and ACMI carriers have been pushing their old and usually fairly lightly used fleets really hard for the last year or so

N27UADIESEL8

Fri May 28, 2021 1:46 am

wjcandee wrote:
(a) is it a Sort issue?
(b) is it a Lift issue?

A) No
B) No
C) No

Serious shortage of ULD's at the CVG HUB.
Cargo overall has surge all over and it is showing now.
Fine Air flight 101 never again..............

wjcandee

Fri May 28, 2021 2:15 am

27uaDiesel8 wrote:
Serious shortage of ULD's at the CVG HUB.
Cargo overall has surge all over and it is showing now.

A shortage of ULDs is causing a three-week delay? That's insane, and not likely to be the case.

That cargo is surging all over doesn't mean that Express shipping should be that dramatically affected. We've been on a thread for over a year about covid cargo, and seen nothing like what is being reported about DHL CVG. Makes me think maybe it's a bit exaggerated.

william

Fri May 28, 2021 2:19 am

airbazar wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

You do know that FEDEX carries most of USPS packages.

wjcandee

Fri May 28, 2021 2:28 am

william wrote:
You do know that FEDEX carries most of USPS packages.

Well, yes and no domestically, and certainly not internationally. All FedEx does is move ULD's packed, sorted, etc., by the USPS and its contractors.

LH658

Fri May 28, 2021 6:08 am

Shipped a few packages last month on DHL, and usually after handing it over to DHL in few hours its off to CVG then either to New York or straight to Europe either Midlands, UK, Leipzig, LHR, or BRU. Though it was sitting here in Texas for sometime, and then sitting in Germany for some time. Though it arrived on time to Pakistan, though usually DHL is pretty quick, and gets it delivered before the expected ETA. I miss their old online tracking system, the new one is eh.

william

Fri May 28, 2021 6:33 pm

DHL updated their shipping webpage, and as always, "improved" does not mean better.

Art at ISP

Fri May 28, 2021 7:34 pm

My information is that Amazon opened a sorting center very close to DHL's facility and offered the drivers a significantly higher pay rate, so many of them jumped ship. I custom ordered a suit for my daughter's wedding which was last weekend, and it did not arrive until the Wednesday before the wedding--- DHL from Italy.....

airzona11

Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm

The distribution business is chaos right now. Inbound loads are unpredictable, outbound loads unpredictable, demand ratcheded up in certain segments overnight... all of that would be challenging in the best of times. Add in the stimulus checks and competition from Amazon and signing bonuses offered by other companies and the labor challenge has never been more difficult, wages are up substantially, and turnover is as well.

panam330

Fri May 28, 2021 9:29 pm

No predicted delays or backlogs at FX, but a note that volume is going to be *significantly* above average the next few weeks in MEM.

Harvestman

Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 am

It's been pretty bad for several months now. Forklift freight has gotten so bad that one of our tents, normally used for storing outbound freight that can't be out in the weather (pallets with plastic wrap/nets around the outside), has been completely repurposed for handling inbound non-conveyables. ULDs full of conveyable freight are forked off of the cargo dollies and stashed aside until they can be sorted.
Up until very recently, forklift freight was only sorted on 1st and 3rd shifts, but a 2nd shift non-conveyable sort was added a few weeks ago. However it appears to have been planned well before this backlog started as a bunch of 3rd-shift employees switched to 2nd shift in preparation.

wjcandee wrote:

Gotta have people to build the ULDs to fill those extra flights. The inability to add a 2nd-shift conveyable sort is far from ideal here, and probably won't be possible until Amazon moves out. Staffing is a massive problem right now - they are adding all sorts of employee bonuses for 2nd/3rd-shift volunteers on Saturday sorts.

There is more to the situation but I don't want to risk saying anything that I shouldn't. But yeah this is way worse than peak season and, in some ways, worse than the across-the-board cargo surge during COVID's spike last year.

Chaostheory

Sat May 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Harvestman wrote:
The inability to add a 2nd-shift conveyable sort is far from ideal here, and probably won't be possible until Amazon moves out. Staffing is a massive problem right now - they are adding all sorts of employee bonuses for 2nd/3rd-shift volunteers on Saturday sorts.

Certainly plenty of entry level jobs on offer.

https://careers.dhl.com/global/en/searc ... words=&s=1

If there are any young 'uns reading this who live locally with aspirations of flying, I'd say go for it. Good place to get your foot in the door and you will learn a lot.

wjcandee

Sat May 29, 2021 2:14 pm

Harvestman wrote:
Gotta have people to build the ULDs to fill those extra flights. The inability to add a 2nd-shift conveyable sort is far from ideal here, and probably won't be possible until Amazon moves out. Staffing is a massive problem right now - they are adding all sorts of employee bonuses for 2nd/3rd-shift volunteers on Saturday sorts.

If you, my friend, are saying there are issues, then I completely-accept that there are issues.

zuckie13

Sat May 29, 2021 2:45 pm

Are we sure it's not the sort? Seems like they are hiring 250 folks at CVG:
https://www.fox19.com/2021/05/21/dhl-hosting-open-house-fill-positions-cvg/

ER757

Sat May 29, 2021 4:28 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:

The situation in ORD (and in places like JFK and LAX as well) is huge backlogs at the airlines - has been improving in the last couple weeks. Was not at all uncommon for trucks to have to wait 6 to 8 hours to drop or recover cargo from the airlines. Some carriers even stopped accepting freight until they could clear backlogs at the gateways. EK in ORD was definitely one of them. It's still not pretty but it isn't quite the train wreck it was a month or so ago. I have a lot less angry customers now than I did back then. We're still avoiding routing imports from APAC through LAX if we can, that's helping.

wjcandee

Sun May 30, 2021 8:11 pm

Ordered some items from a UK-based web site (that must have a good deal with DHL, because I get free shipping of inexpensively-priced items even though they are coming over the Pond by DHL). Ordered Saturday NY time, stuff was packed and shipped that day, and into the DHL system at East Midlands. It jumped on ABX Air EMA-JFK this morning and got processed at DHL JFK by 3pm today (Sunday). We'll see how long it takes to clear Customs and arrive (presumably no earlier than Tuesday due to Memorial Day). So far, so good.

FlyHossD

Sun May 30, 2021 8:37 pm

umichman wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Not my experience. Although this was from several months ago, but I had a couple of heavily delayed USPS packages while Fedex/UPS didn't have any significant delays.

In both my personal experience and our corporate experience, USPS has been very slow to deliver simple letters - they're averaging nearly 3 weeks for domestic U.S. deliveries. So when it's an important document, we've been using FDX air and have even used a personal courier (just once, though).
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

casperCA

Sun May 30, 2021 9:18 pm

panam330 wrote:
No predicted delays or backlogs at FX, but a note that volume is going to be *significantly* above average the next few weeks in MEM.

Everyone is having problems somewhere at some point in time. Two weeks ago I had several packages with FedEx coming out of China to Victoria, Canada. Was stalled in Hong Kong. Went from a projected delivery date to nothing. FedEx Canada could not give me a answer. The shipped talked to FedEx people in Asia and was advised they was 3-4 day delay waiting for a spot on an aircraft to North America.

Do they still have a problem over there? No idea. I suspect with the economy restarting post COVID there are going to be short term backups in various parts of the network and eventually clear up.

ThePointblank

Sun May 30, 2021 9:45 pm

casperCA wrote:
panam330 wrote:

Everyone is having problems somewhere at some point in time. Two weeks ago I had several packages with FedEx coming out of China to Victoria, Canada. Was stalled in Hong Kong. Went from a projected delivery date to nothing. FedEx Canada could not give me a answer. The shipped talked to FedEx people in Asia and was advised they was 3-4 day delay waiting for a spot on an aircraft to North America.

Do they still have a problem over there? No idea. I suspect with the economy restarting post COVID there are going to be short term backups in various parts of the network and eventually clear up.

There's been issues with a lack of capacity for a while; my company has had a number of highly perishable shipments going from North America to Asia get held up for days on end, resulting in the cargo being lost because they sat for too long, resulting in the dry ice and ice packs melting.

mcg

Sun May 30, 2021 10:31 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
casperCA wrote:
panam330 wrote:

There's been issues with a lack of capacity for a while; my company has had a number of highly perishable shipments going from North America to Asia get held up for days on end, resulting in the cargo being lost because they sat for too long, resulting in the dry ice and ice packs melting.

Does the company handling the shipment (presumably FedEx or UPS) pay for the lost product?

ThePointblank

Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 pm

mcg wrote:
ThePointblank wrote:
casperCA wrote:

Does the company handling the shipment (presumably FedEx or UPS) pay for the lost product?

That's why shipping insurance exists. Sometimes, the recipient is willing to accept the risk that the cargo might be lost due to delays and will just eat the cost if the cost is low enough, but we try to avoid it by usually overpacking by adding more dry ice and ice packs to allow for extended transit times, and we also use the highest priority shipping options.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos