Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mpgunner
Topic Author

ASA 164 SEA to PDX delay today - 5/27/2021

Fri May 28, 2021 3:42 am

My wife was on this flight today. They pushed off on time but then waited for 50 minutes before taking off. The captain came on and said the delay was due to construction at PDX and there was only 1 runway available. She said he sounded like he didn't believe this explanation but had to say it.

It was strange to watch FlightAware after the push back for about 10 minutes it was "on time" but then a 50 minute delay was showing up.

Does anyone know why or was the delay actually due to construction.

Thanks

ATCJesus

Re: ASA 164 SEA to PDX delay today - 5/27/2021

Fri May 28, 2021 3:53 am

PDX - RWY 10R/28L CLOSED UNTIL 05/28/21 2200Z

Depends on demand at the airport. But looks real.

atcsundevil

Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 am

mpgunner wrote:
My wife was on this flight today. They pushed off on time but then waited for 50 minutes before taking off. The captain came on and said the delay was due to construction at PDX and there was only 1 runway available. She said he sounded like he didn't believe this explanation but had to say it.

It was strange to watch FlightAware after the push back for about 10 minutes it was "on time" but then a 50 minute delay was showing up.

Does anyone know why or was the delay actually due to construction.

Thanks

FAA OIS says PDX - RWY 10R/28L CLOSED UNTIL 05/28/21 2200Z

I don't work on the west coast, so I don't have firsthand knowledge with PDX, but generally the closer you are to the destination that's being metered, the more likely you are to get the shaft. There's already an enroute flow to an airport with aircraft that are airborne, and for obvious reasons, they get priority over aircraft sitting on the ground. The Traffic Management Unit (TMU) will issue an Expect Departure Clearance Time (EDCT) based on that enroute flow. The computer essentially tells the TMU controller when a gap will exist and when the aircraft should be released. The closer you are to the destination, the smaller those gaps are likely to be. In cases like this, pilots love to blame ATC, but it's just common sense — you're not going to delay an aircraft in the air to make room for one on the ground.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp

DLASFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 3:57 am

It was also very windy today.

airlinepeanuts

Fri May 28, 2021 4:17 am

Why would she not believe this excuse?

JakeWelty

Fri May 28, 2021 5:54 am

Work in ATC & we get call for releases or ground delay programs for the PDX rwy construction...

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri May 28, 2021 6:52 am

Got to fly LASPDX about 15 years ago, the parallel runways were open, and we had a 2 hour 30 minute flow delay into PDX due to the winds. Granted in was a 6pm scheduled departure, so the delays had been building up. But it was just due to the winds up in PDX. It was a NASTY approach when we got there. So anything is always possible. Why would the pilot lie about the delay?? In today’s day and age it only takes a minute to find information on anything and everything
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos