Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LH658
Topic Author

AI105 return to Delhi due to Bat incident.

Fri May 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Air India 105 Delhi to Newark returned back to Delhi after being in the air for 30 mins, after bat was spotted in the cabin.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/d ... 90937.html

zuckie13

Re: AI105 return to Delhi due to Bat incident.

Fri May 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Give the bat a break - it's a long flight from Delhi to Newark this would have been much easier than flying itself.....

Might want to avoid the AI catering though....

"The probable reason/cause may be loading vehicles like those for catering because all the time rats/bats come from their vehicle only," an Air India official told ANI.

n9801f

Fri May 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Yes, poor bat!

Sounds like a smart one, too, preferring Business Class for a long flight.

Insertnamehere

Fri May 28, 2021 6:47 pm

n9801f wrote:
Yes, poor bat!

He did choose Air India Business class though, so not the smartest bat when there are much better options from India.

peterinlisbon

Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 pm

LH658 wrote:
Air India 105 Delhi to Newark returned back to Delhi after being in the air for 30 mins, after bat was spotted in the cabin.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/d ... 90937.html

They should have just served it some nuts and some whisky and it would have soon fallen asleep.

n9801f

Fri May 28, 2021 7:08 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
n9801f wrote:
Yes, poor bat!

He did choose Air India Business class though, so not the smartest bat when there are much better options from India.

Point taken.

Next time, Fledermaus Klasse via Vienna.

n729pa

Fri May 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Well he choose Air India because he likes to be kept hanging about....

slcdeltarumd11

Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 pm

If anyone has been to india. This really is not that surprising of a story. Most people chose profits over paying for solving their issues until they are forced too. You see rotting things all the time in cities in india and people just don't care.

Maybe pass on the catering from AI for a bit. Side of rabies with your salad? They were so quick to blame a 3rd party they basically admitted they know of a 3rd party vendor who has a bat problem at their facility.

n9801f

Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Maybe you're too harsh, slcdeltarumd11.

My experience is people bring inspired, flexible, pragmatic creativity to bear in India and deliver excellent results despite challenges. I admire this greatly.

I suspect people from North America or Europe would struggle to do half as well under the same circumstances.

Along the way, a little clever humor cheers and oils the gears. Er, "hanging about" (lol!) etc.

Kiwiandrew

Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 pm

Perhaps he was a cricket bat visiting India to participate in the recent tournament, now trying to find his way home ? ;-)

Spiderguy252

Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Nothing about AI surprises anymore.

ltbewr

Fri May 28, 2021 9:21 pm

Was it alive or dead when seen ? Thankfully no one got bit, that would have been horrible. Here people were trying to escape the horrors of the Covid-19 pandemic in India and they face possibly getting bit by a bat. What's next, snakes ?

seansasLCY

Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Is it just me or is the explanation by Air India making it worse in saying the catering vehicles often bring rats and bats??

trex8

Fri May 28, 2021 9:41 pm

That must be the missing link bat for Covid!!!

9252fly

Fri May 28, 2021 11:47 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Is it just me or is the explanation by Air India making it worse in saying the catering vehicles often bring rats and bats??

Hilarious post! :hyper: Talk about digging your own grave deeper.

avier

Sat May 29, 2021 6:33 am

9252fly wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Hilarious post! :hyper: Talk about digging your own grave deeper.

It's always been that way at AI.
While at other airlines, their PR teams would try to save the image of the airline, at AI they'll try and make it worst. :D

readytotaxi

Sat May 29, 2021 10:42 am

I don't see what all the Flap is about :rotfl:

Vladex

Sat May 29, 2021 11:20 am

DFW17L

Sat May 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Catch and Release, brought to you by the Joker.

gwrudolph

Sat May 29, 2021 4:41 pm

While not something you want to have happen, it’s not really all that surprising. You have open dock doors at catering facilities, trucks and carts where they can hide, open doors on the aircraft while servicing, etc.

n729pa

Sat May 29, 2021 5:32 pm

I wonder if this was the first time this happened? I mean the Bat was a Frequent Flyer after all.

As for the statement from AI about the catering trucks well... now had this been CA of course, they would said they like to serve fresh canapés on board. ....

DIJKKIJK

Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

What he probably meant was that the bats must have entered the cabin when the aircraft's doors were kept open during catering operations.

Bats, snakes, scorpions, rats and other critters have been found in a number of planes all over the world. Why is this even news? And it is difficult to avoid some 'wildlife' in a country like India, given its weather conditions.

9252fly

Sat May 29, 2021 6:47 pm

DIJKKIJK wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Why is this even news?.

Maybe because it's the first time I recall a post about bats flying around an inflight aircraft. The bat is presumed to have gotten onboard while the aircraft was being catered according to the AI spokesperson. Your post would have been useful for that same spokesperson to use as damage control spin. The topic in itself is amusing, I don't personally believe it's a serious issue and wouldn't hesitate to fly AI if I was a vegetarian.

FiscAutTecGarte

Sat May 29, 2021 7:02 pm

Wow. I would have made a few attempts to catch it with a blanket first (Dehli to Newark had to be a few of those available). To jettison all of that fuel (Delhi to Newark) and return back to land is a huge expense.

The likelihood that bat was going to be any kind of problem whatsoever are absolutely slim to none. However, a 773ER has allot of passengers on board and you don't want anyone freaking out. I guess the pilot made the correct call... but man what a tough one.

Devilfish

Sat May 29, 2021 7:03 pm

"Holy crap Batbat, did you just drop something in my wine?" :yuck:

n729pa

Sun May 30, 2021 12:03 am

Imagine they'd had Dracula on the film play list and a bat whistles past your ear.... or he takes a nibble from 8K in the might of the night.....

We have the Count flying with us tonight.... ha-ha-ha ....let's count the rows to his seat..ha-ha-ha...

Bat droppings or raisins in your salad hard to tell....

He could have taken the Finnair flight earlier in the day but didn't fancy being a Bat Out Of HEL

Maybe he was someone's emotional support animal? Did we consider that?

n9801f

Sun May 30, 2021 12:39 am

I wonder if they serve Meatloaf on the Finnair flight with the Bat Out of HEL, too?

DocLightning

Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 am

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
The likelihood that bat was going to be any kind of problem whatsoever are absolutely slim to none.

In Africa, bats can be infected with ebolavirus and are not sick. A bat virus is responsible for the current pandemic. Bats play a major role in the transmission of rabies. In India in particular, bats can transmit nipah and hendra viruses (although those are usually flying foxes, which this was clearly not).

Under no circumstances do I want to be stuck in a confined place with a bat. Under no circumstances does US Customs and Border Patrol want to have a foreign bat --alive or dead-- arrive on our shores from halfway around the world.

n9801f

Sun May 30, 2021 6:15 am

Yes, bats can occasionally carry terrible things.

But they're also very common. For instance every day tourists flock to see them fly out from under the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, and out of Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico.

In the Midwestern US, I've seen suburbanites build "bat houses" in their backyards to attract bats because they consume massive quantities of mosquitoes.

The post suggesting calmly capturing the bat with a blanket and proceeding with the flight sounds sensible to me. Though I didn't experience the situation firsthand.

AntonioMartin

Sun May 30, 2021 6:52 am

Bat just wanted to move to New York...

airboss787

Sun May 30, 2021 7:35 am

Maybe the bat needs a vaccine ASAP…

FiscAutTecGarte

Sun May 30, 2021 4:24 pm

DocLightning wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
The likelihood that bat was going to be any kind of problem whatsoever are absolutely slim to none.

In Africa, bats can be infected with ebolavirus and are not sick. A bat virus is responsible for the current pandemic. Bats play a major role in the transmission of rabies. In India in particular, bats can transmit nipah and hendra viruses (although those are usually flying foxes, which this was clearly not).

Under no circumstances do I want to be stuck in a confined place with a bat. Under no circumstances does US Customs and Border Patrol want to have a foreign bat --alive or dead-- arrive on our shores from halfway around the world.

I guess you've never simply caught a bat with a blanket? It's surprisingly simple. I've done it a few times. My suggestion was to give that a shot first, which it doesn't appear they did. But again, I wasn't there. Perhaps it was felt it caused more risk than I am suggesting...

Sokes

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 am

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
I guess you've never simply caught a bat with a blanket? It's surprisingly simple. I've done it a few times.

Mind to share how you do it and why you did it?
I would assume they are hanging down.

Sokes

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:22 am

DocLightning wrote:
...Under no circumstances does US Customs and Border Patrol want to have a foreign bat --alive or dead-- arrive on our shores from halfway around the world.

Apparently authorities share your concern. They could have opened the door and chased it out. Instead the plane got I assume disinfected.
I assume the dead bat will be checked for any viruses?
Will the passengers be in quarantine in the meanwhile?

Would authorities make the same effort for a rat?

n9801f

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:03 am

@Sokes

My guess is they chose fumigation because it was certain death wherever the bat was hiding.

It's a subjective call on risk. For instance mice can carry the deadly hantavirus. But like many North Americans, when I've had mice in my house, I simply set traps. No special measures.

If it were a bat on a flight from a remote forest in Cote D'Ivoire (Ebola possibility) then I'd be for extreme disinfection measures.

But bats, like mice, are really common.

So I'm still in the blanket-and-continue camp. Though again I didn't see the situation first hand.

Kent350787

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:26 am

I opened this thread assuming it would be about a bat strike (our local fruit bats have around 1.5m wingspan) rather than a stowaway.

Annoying, but pleased it was discovered.

AAIL86

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:10 pm

These things happen... not sure blaming AI is completely fair. When I worked at AA I remember incidents in the cabin involving, among other things, scorpions and snakes. Once i saw a delay report where a numbers of scorpions had stowed away at SJD an in an MD-80 being loaded for a flight to DFW, their entry to the aircraft also being via the catering truck. After takeoff, a number of passengers reported them about in the cabin. Understandably, the captain turned the plane around immediately and all aboard were sent to hotels while a new plane was sent. The aircraft in question was fumigated.

AAIL86

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:10 pm

These things happen... not sure blaming AI is completely fair. When I worked at AA I remember incidents in the cabin involving, among other things, scorpions and snakes. Once i saw a delay report where a number of scorpions had stowed away at SJD an in an MD-80 being loaded for a flight to DFW, their entry to the aircraft also being via the catering truck. After takeoff, a number of passengers reported them about in the cabin. Understandably, the captain turned the plane around immediately and all aboard were sent to hotels while a new plane was sent. The aircraft in question was fumigated.

FiscAutTecGarte

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:27 pm

Sokes wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
I guess you've never simply caught a bat with a blanket? It's surprisingly simple. I've done it a few times.

Mind to share how you do it and why you did it?
I would assume they are hanging down.

From my 14+ years of living in Mexico (I returned to the US when COVID struck). In the early spring sometimes you open the windows and doors to air out the home during the day and overnight (this is of course before bugs are really active). Some bats will make it into the house. In the morning you might see them hanging from the wall. The best way to catch them is to use a blanket to wrap them and then take them out of the house. A blanket prevents you from injuring them .. and prevents them from flying away or biting... while you remove them from indoors. Sometimes they takeoff and fly before you've actually got them in the blanket... but of course if you are holding it really broad they will still fly into it and you can softly bundle it up and then spread it back out outside. I've probably captured 5 or 6 bats in my life, maybe 2 of them in flight (not on a plane... I'm referring to the bat flying).

Of course, I live in the Sonoran Desert (MEX and USA), so I've removed rattlesnakes from the carport, bodega, patios... Scorpions from the bathroom, bodegas, shoes, etc... Trapped Pack Rats and Kangaroo Mice. The mosquitos carry Dengue (which I contracted in the Sierra... nasty stuff.... )

I lived in Upsate NY for almost 15 years too... and during that time Mosquitos carried West Nile Virus and Deer Ticks carried Lyme Disease. Don't know if you'd divert a bus if a passenger found a tick on his clothes or you saw a mosquito floating around... You'd probably capture/kill them and move on. Come to think of it.. I removed a bat from a little cabin that we shared in the Adirondacks... :)

Yeah, I still think I would have offered to try with a blanket with the permission of the flight crew....

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Why bring few cases at a time, bring the reservoir.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos