Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

If You Could Own A Commuter Airline...

Wed Sep 08, 1999 4:04 am

Hi,
If you had the opportunity (and the money) to start a regional commuter airline, what would you call it, where would you be based out of and fly to, and what aircraft would you use? Furthermore, what kind of plane would be your "Company Jet"?
You can even have transatlantic or transpacific services, if you like.  

DL 604

mirage

RE: If You Could Own A Commuter Airline...

Wed Sep 08, 1999 4:12 am

transpacific services with a regional commuter airline?

A little bit of more coherence would be good.

RE: Mirage

Wed Sep 08, 1999 4:25 am

Well, I mean if you want to go a little larger.  

DL 604

Wed Sep 08, 1999 4:36 am

I would call my ideal regional carrier Northeast Air Express (or N.E.A.X. for short). I would base the carrier out of either JFK or LGA. I would code share with Delta in an effort to give them back the business they lost when American Eagle bought Business Express. I would also hope to replace the Delta / Trans States airlines code share routes with N.E.A.X. From the LGA or JFK hub I would operate to cities all over the northeast such as Providence, Philly, Pittsburgh, Colombus, Hartford/Springfield, Burlington, Baltimore, Buffalo, Rochester, Ottowa, Quebec City, Halifax, Harrisburg, Manchester, Rutland, Martha's Vinyard, Portland and Bangor, to name a few. Essentially, I would like to operate to most small to medium-sized cities in the northeast, while leaving the services to the biggest markets (i.e. BOS and DCA) to my big brothers at Delta and Delta Shuttle. I would also operate seasonal service to places like Nantucket and Bar Harbor, Maine.
Fleet wise, I would operate either Embraer or Fairchild/Dornier regional jets--no props. My preference would be Farchilds. I would operate the 328JET and 428JETs, supplemented at times by the forthcoming 528JET, to markets such as Rutland, Nantucket, Halifax, Harrisburg, Quebec City and Bar Harbor. I fould fly 528s and 728s to the larger markets such as BDL or PVD and would supplement 728 use in the heaviest markets, such as BWI, CMH and PHL with 928s.
I would use the corporate jet version of the 728JET (I believe it might be called the envoy) as my company craft.
How does this concept sound?

Wed Sep 08, 1999 6:10 am

Hi
If I owned a Commuter Airline, It would be called
"Southern Jet". BAE-146's,ATP's,and the CRJ would make up the fleet. Southern would fly to the following cities:

GPT
MOB
MSY
ATL
TPA
MIA
ORD
STL
JAN
MER*
PIB*

(PIB: Hattiesburg/Laurel Regional Miss)
(MER: Meridian Regional Miss)

The airline would operate much like Comair. Inflight Service would also be like Comairs.

Best Regards,
Colin Kumpunen (American MD-80)

CX747

Wed Sep 08, 1999 6:28 am

I would be based out of Newark or JFK and make my business connections to international flights. I would try to set up a connection with BA, VS, UAL among others. My aircraft of choice would be the 717. I would operate in the surrounding Northeast and west area going down as far as Washington or Richmond.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

flyCMH

Wed Sep 08, 1999 8:01 am

My commuter airline:

Name: America East Express

Hub: Columbus, OH

Planes: Canadair RJ & Fairchild 428Jets

Cities Served:
Richmond VA, Charleston WV, Erie PA, Allentown/ Bethelehem PA, Buffalo NY, Rochester NY, Albany NY, Grand Rapids MI, Toledo OH, Dayton OH, Akron/Canton OH, Ft. Wayne IN, Evansville IN, Lexington KY, Louisville KY, Bloomington/Normal IL, Springfield IL, Madison WI, and Appleton WI

Service & Partners
America East would start a partnership with America West Airlines to feed passengers into Columbus to America West flights. Emphasis on on-time flights and a higher standard of comfort would become trademarks of the airline. Leather seats with headrests would be standard on all aircraft, considering most flights would be longer commuter segments. Also extra flight attendents would be staffed for a more personal experience.

AirT85

RE: FlyCMH

Wed Sep 08, 1999 9:14 am

Hi FlyCMH...NOt to burst your bubble or anything...but Mesa already is starting America West Express service out of Columbus! Sorry-just thought you might like to know..... Any way...i would have Academy Airlines and we would fly from PHL to: Abe, Acy, Buf, Cle, Dtw, Ewr, Isp, Pit, Rdu, Roc, Swf, Yyz. I would fly the CRJ and/or the Beech Erj-135.
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

flyCMH

To AirT85

Wed Sep 08, 1999 10:03 am

I know that America West Express flies out of Columbus, I live in Columbus! Let me explain:
The sole reason for America West Express' service in CMH is because AWA could not fill their 737 and A320 aircraft on northeast routes such as LGA and PHL. They are not in CMH as a feeder airline. These are actual routes that SHOULD be flown with a larger aircraft. The purpose for the commuter airline that I posted would be for America West as Comair is for Delta, a commuter airline to feed passengers from small to mid-sized cities to connect with the major airline's routes. AW Express flies routes to major cities such as New York and Baltimore from Columbus. Hope this clears things up.

AC_A340

RE: To AirT85

Wed Sep 08, 1999 12:27 pm

I would call it Trans-Ex. It would be based in Winnipeg seeing how YWG is only operating at 60% capacity. It would fly mainly to American Cities within a 2.5 hour radius and Northern Manitoba. I would operate the Bae-146 because it has a good range, a good cargo capacity, and can hold a fair amount of people. Winnipeg to the US and northern Manitoba is an underdeveloped market. Our only flights to the states currently are to ORD, MSP, & DEN. It would be a feeder airline for United and Air Canada.

AC183

Into YWG

Wed Sep 08, 1999 1:48 pm

I would operate out of YWG as well, but not as a feeder. I think an hub in YWG would be ideal geographically for travel within Canada. Making all flights across the country connect at YWG (at least as a start-up) would probably work well. Also, cities like Quebec City, or like Windsor, or even small centres like Lethbridge could, to varying degrees, have good connections at YWG. It could possibly work like Westjet, only nationally, serving markets that have been under-served.

Thu Sep 09, 1999 4:34 am

Hi What a nice wish! I would call it Southern Cal Air
( SCA ) Serving out of BUR, Feeding UA, and WN, also AS and since AA got little Reno now for good they will building up there lift there also. Serving as far as PDX,
and south to SAN. all stops in the middle, beats all the cars on the 5, 405, and 101, lots of short ups and downs. Not sure about equipment.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos