Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jmp704
Topic Author

Private plane goes down in Smyrna Tennessee

Sat May 29, 2021 7:29 pm

I live in nashville Tennessee and there are reports of a pane going down in Smyrna Tennessee
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/plane ... -in-smyrna

FlyingElvii

Re: Private plane goes down in Smyrna Tennessee

Sat May 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Citation went into Percy Priest Lake shortly after takeoff from Smyrna/MQY.
Weather at the time, just after 11amCST, was cool, gusty, and low 1,300 ft. ceilings. Went from 2800 feet to splashdown in less than a mile.

Aircraft is owned by Gwen Shambling and Joe Lara. She is a “Weight-Loss Guru to the Stars” he played Tarzan in the Movie, and the recent TV series.

Position track: https://twitter.com/Rat3B/status/139872 ... 74/photo/1

Live ATC, picks up Nashville Approach around 24:20. Next response you can hear an alarm in the background, after that, silence.
https://archive.liveatc.net/kbna/KBNA-A ... -1530Z.mp3

This is a weird one....

FlyingElvii

Sat May 29, 2021 8:53 pm

Note the Red splotch in the 2nd pic. Is that JetA? Or Oil?

jmp704
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2021 9:11 pm

On the news briefing they just on Facebook live people did confirm from the church the were 7 people on broad this aircraft but nothing on fatalities or if there are any survivors

hOMSaR

Sat May 29, 2021 9:13 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Note the Red splotch in the 2nd pic. Is that JetA? Or Oil?

If it’s the same one I’m looking at with the helicopter, I think it’s just the blur of the helicopter’s rotor.

SoCalPilot

Sat May 29, 2021 9:35 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Weather at the time, just after 11amCST, was cool, gusty, and low 1,300 ft. ceilings. Went from 2800 feet to splashdown in less than a mile.

Aircraft is owned by Gwen Shambling and Joe Lara. She is a “Weight-Loss Guru to the Stars” he played Tarzan in the Movie, and the recent TV series.

Live ATC, picks up Nashville Approach around 24:20. Next response you can hear an alarm in the background, after that, silence.

This is a weird one....

Looks like a textbook loss of control in IMC while on the departure turn.

FlyingElvii

Sat May 29, 2021 9:39 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

This is a weird one....

I considered the same, especially with the alarm on the recording? Pitot froze in the cloud? It was cool here, but the freezing level was still above 5k.

FlyingElvii

Sat May 29, 2021 9:41 pm

jmp704 wrote:
On the news briefing they just on Facebook live people did confirm from the church the were 7 people on broad this aircraft but nothing on fatalities or if there are any survivors

Destination was PBI, per the latest briefing, which was the only new info, other than “We can’t confirm that.”

SoCalPilot

Sat May 29, 2021 9:49 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

This is a weird one....

I considered the same, especially with the alarm on the recording? Pitot froze in the cloud? It was cool here, but the freezing level was still above 5k.

I couldn't get the audio to play on my phone so I didn't hear the alarm, I'm just basing it off the radar track and the fact that its easy for a pilot to get disoriented after entering IMC (or any situation with no horizon, such as a moonless night with no ground lights) right after takeoff, especially in a departure turn.

There doesnt have to be a failure of any kind for this to happen, but a failed attitude indicator will definitely exacerbate the situation.

F9Animal

Sun May 30, 2021 6:34 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

This is a weird one....

Yep, I too can hear the alarm going off in the background. The last radio transmission didn't seem to have a distressed voice, but he sure sounded busy. So sad! I couldn't imagine being the controller in a loss of an aircraft. That has to the the most gut wrenching feeling, especially when the plane vanishes from radar, and they won't get a response from the radio calls.

I think it's pretty clear this will be fatal unfortunately.

SoCalPilot

Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 am

F9Animal wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

This is a weird one....

Yep, I too can hear the alarm going off in the background. The last radio transmission didn't seem to have a distressed voice, but he sure sounded busy. So sad! I couldn't imagine being the controller in a loss of an aircraft. That has to the the most gut wrenching feeling, especially when the plane vanishes from radar, and they won't get a response from the radio calls.

I think it's pretty clear this will be fatal unfortunately.

I just listened to the audio. I don't think that sound you're hearing is an alarm...sounds like the ignition is on, which you can hear sometimes through the headset. I haven't flown a Citation, but in all the turbine aircraft I've flown the ignition would be on for takeoff, so the sound would be normal.

crownvic

Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am

Evidently actor Joe Lara was the pilot and heard on the atc live transmission..

canyonblue17

Sun May 30, 2021 11:30 am

Tail number??

crownvic

Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
Tail number??

N66BK

Spacepope

Sun May 30, 2021 1:47 pm

This is a textbook example of why most organizations don't allow all their senior staff on the same flight.

boeing767300

Sun May 30, 2021 5:02 pm

Aviation Safety Network confirms 6 passengers and ONE pilot. Always a recipe for disaster when the workload increases in the cockpit at a critical time. The situation really becomes untenable when a passenger occupies the vacant pilot seat. Most pilots I met during my FBO career had tales of woe while flying single pilot operations. The big one was being distracted by the owner occupying the vacant seat. One can talk about single pilot certification but at the end of the day it is all about saving money. Sooooo short sighted.

filejw

Sun May 30, 2021 5:34 pm

boeing767300 wrote:
Aviation Safety Network confirms 6 passengers and ONE pilot. Always a recipe for disaster when the workload increases in the cockpit at a critical time. The situation really becomes untenable when a passenger occupies the vacant pilot seat. Most pilots I met during my FBO career had tales of woe while flying single pilot operations. The big one was being distracted by the owner occupying the vacant seat. One can talk about single pilot certification but at the end of the day it is all about saving money. Sooooo short sighted.

What you say is true but doesn’t apply here I think as I’m pretty sure this was an owner flown aircraft. Single pilot I a jet can be handful when things go wrong.

johns624

Sun May 30, 2021 5:44 pm

More money than proficiency? Sorta like JFK Jr?
PS--What is "Faith-based weight loss"?

orlandocfi

Sun May 30, 2021 5:59 pm

johns624 wrote:
More money than proficiency? Sorta like JFK Jr?
PS--What is "Faith-based weight loss"?

Their faith is not relevant to this topic.
But it was apparently a 40 year old owner-flown citation, so there are numerous possible threats such as proficiency, maintenance, distractions from passengers. It’s a real tragedy and my condolences go to the families affected.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 30, 2021 6:30 pm

boeing767300 wrote:

In many cases, it’s about ego (“I can fly it myself”), not saving money, as SP insurance often has higher premiums than paying a contract SIC.

crownvic

Sun May 30, 2021 9:08 pm

based on videos posted on youtube this actor/pilot looked like he flew many types including the MU-2 and Westwind. In one video his son in law who sadly perished in this crash is sitting directly behind the cockpit onboard the MU 2 and looking over the shoulder and talking to Mr. Lara who occupies the left seat. He hasn't acted much since a slew of jobs in the 90s. Maybe that made him enough money to leave the industry and focus on flying Who knows ...how ironic from all accounts I hear the MU 2 is tricky to fly and that was not the one he met his fate in....

barney captain

Sun May 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Good grief -

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/l ... 272006001/

orlandocfi

Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 pm

barney captain wrote:
Good grief -

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

That is very disturbing and unfortunate news. Type ratings tend to be very helpful when flying an aircraft that requires a type rating!

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 30, 2021 11:48 pm

No, on another site, Joe Lara showed as having a Commercial ASMEL and a CE500 type rating. Medical is a question and brings up the question of recurrent training, as required by 61.58 plus any single pilot qualification. Types aren’t a good idea, they’re required.

kiowa

Mon May 31, 2021 12:17 am

very sad regardless

freakyrat

Mon May 31, 2021 12:23 am

Was the alarm thta was heard to be going off the GPWS?

Aaron747

Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 am

freakyrat wrote:

Nope, not how GPWS sounds. According to Citation drivers commenting everywhere, those are the igniters.

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 am

orlandocfi wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Good grief -

That is very disturbing and unfortunate news. Type ratings tend to be very helpful when flying an aircraft that requires a type rating!

Well he was type rated, just didn't have a current medical. Unless he has some medical condition that contributed to this crash it's a non issue. People his age are suppose to get one every 2 years, but someone under 40 only has to get one every 5 years. I'm sure his insurance required recurrent training.

freakyrat

Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 am

Aaron747 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Nope, not how GPWS sounds. According to Citation drivers commenting everywhere, those are the igniters.

Thank You

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Good grief -

Well he was type rated, just didn't have a current medical. Unless he has some medical condition that contributed to this crash it's a non issue. People his age are suppose to get one every 2 years, but someone under 40 only has to get one every 5 years. I'm sure his insurance required recurrent training.

Any reputable recurrent provider is going to require the certificate and current medical to sign off a 61.58 check.

9252fly

Mon May 31, 2021 2:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Any reputable recurrent provider is going to require the certificate and current medical to sign off a 61.58 check.

Can you be type certified without a current medical? Just trying to understand the technicalities.

joeblow10

Mon May 31, 2021 2:59 am

9252fly wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

Can you be type certified without a current medical? Just trying to understand the technicalities.

Medical certificates and type/category/class ratings are two entirely different things. You need both to legally fly. Medical grades expire between 6-24 months at his age.

Your ratings generally never “expire” in the sense you can go get current again. Getting current in your type by fulfilling recency requirements would still require a valid medical to fly.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 3:04 am

9252fly wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

The FAA practical exam will require a current medical, so no.

DiamondFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 3:39 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
9252fly wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

A type rating doesn’t expire. Currency does, but the rating does not.

32andBelow

Mon May 31, 2021 7:21 am

Aren’t there different lower restrictions to fly the plane part 91 only?

filejw

Mon May 31, 2021 9:14 am

32andBelow wrote:

Well you could be a private pilot and VFR only but you still need a current medical certificate to act as pilot in command legally.

Aaron747

Mon May 31, 2021 9:18 am

filejw wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Well you could be a private pilot and VFR only but you still need a current medical certificate to act as pilot in command legally.

And you would certainly have no business taking a Citation or any other aircraft into IMC, especially at a towered field.

FlyingElvii

Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 pm

filejw wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Has everyone forgotten Basic Med?

FlyingElvii

Mon May 31, 2021 12:17 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Basic Med would allow him to fly after medical expiration, but has altitude and speed restrictions.
Could he fly? Yes...
But a Citation is damned inefficient below 18k.

N6168E

Mon May 31, 2021 1:24 pm

The Citation has more that 6 seats and is over 6000lbs, so the plane does not qualify for Basic Med and ans according to the FAA database, he did not have a Basic Med. The FAA database shows a certificate issuance in March, 2020. An additional rating can do that, which I think would require a valid medical. I don't know if a re-issuance for a change of address or replacement of a certificate for some other reason will also change the issuance date.

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 1:28 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Basic Med would allow him to fly after medical expiration, but has altitude and speed restrictions.
Could he fly? Yes...
But a Citation is damned inefficient below 18k.

A Citation doesn't meet the aircraft requirements of Basic Med.

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 1:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
9252fly wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Not if you're taking the exam in a simulator. So yes, it is possible to get a type rating and do recurrent training without having a current medical. I've never had my medical checked for type rating initial or recurrent training.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 1:59 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
9252fly wrote:

Not if you're taking the exam in a simulator. So yes, it is possible to get a type rating and do recurrent training without having a current medical. I've never had my medical checked for type rating initial or recurrent training.

I’ve been to FSI, CAE, Bombardier training centers probably 20+ times over the last 15 years—medical checked every time. Not sure where you go for recurrent, but those TRTO require the student to show medicals and it must be valid for the recurrent to be issued.

The FAA ACS requires the examiner to check for medical currency, no exception for simulator checks.

The type rating would require an IR.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Mon May 31, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N766UA

Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 pm

I’m not sure where people are getting this “he didnt have a medical or a type” info from. A quick search shows him with a current first class medical certificate and numerous type ratings, including Citation 500’s and 560’s.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I’ve been to FSI, CAE, Bombardier training centers probably 20+ times over the last 15 years—medical checked every time. Not sure where you go for recurrent, but those TRTO require the student to show medicals and it hmust be valid for the recurrent to be issued.

I agree, when I went to FSI they absolutely required my medical certificate. My current company is a 121 operator and obviously we do all our rides in a sim, and the first thing any instructor says before a checking event is “certificate and medical, please.”

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 2:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I’ve been to FSI, CAE, Bombardier training centers probably 20+ times over the last 15 years—medical checked every time. Not sure where you go for recurrent, but those TRTO require the student to show medicals and it must be valid for the recurrent to be issued.

The FAA ACS requires the examiner to check for medical currency, no exception for simulator checks.

The type rating would require an IR.

I quickly looked at the ACS and couldn't find anything that states that but I could have missed it. If it does then it's in disagreement with FAR 61.23 which clearly states that you don't need one for exams in a simulator...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.23

(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate -
(8) When taking a practical test or a proficiency check for a certificate, rating, authorization or operating privilege conducted in a glider, balloon, flight simulator, or flight training device; or

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 2:24 pm

It’s in the ACS checklist.

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 2:27 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s in the ACS checklist.

Are you talking about the part that says:

Current Medical Certificate or BasicMed qualification (when applicable)

And according to the FAR's it's not applicable.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon May 31, 2021 2:30 pm

filejw wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Can’t hold a type rating without instrument rating, which Lara has on his certificate. What he doesn’t have is a medical, last one was third class on 11/2017.

SoCalPilot

Mon May 31, 2021 2:31 pm

N766UA wrote:
I’m not sure where people are getting this “he didnt have a medical or a type” info from. A quick search shows him with a current first class medical certificate and numerous type ratings, including Citation 500’s and 560’s.

Are you looking at the right William Joseph Lara? Because he only has 1 type rating (the Cessna 500) and his medical has certainly expired for his age.

tenHangar

Mon May 31, 2021 2:32 pm

I know there was low cloud cover, but am surprised there are no witness accounts on this busy recreational lake. Not just visual, but no mention of engine noise prior to impact. This raises the probability of engine failure versus medical issues or pilot error/disorientation. The only "witnesses" i can find online are witnesses to the emergency response.
Last edited by tenHangar on Mon May 31, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos