Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 6/21: Sunshine after the rain

Mon May 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Good evening folks and hope you are all enjoying this beautiful May evening.

I guess, compared to the last few months, our hearts are probably a little lighter and we are a bit more optimistic about the road ahead. There will be probably be bumps and although the announcement of July 19th (there has to be a Fr. Ted fan in the cabinet, or maybe just someone with Dougal's organisational skills!) is fraught with conditions and restrictions, it is a very positive step forward - something we haven't had for a very long time.

It will probably be a long time before things get back to the lofty heights of the 30m+ that DUB handled in 2019, but there is pent up demand there. Hopefully the US will open up soon and the introduction of the new DGCs will not face the same delays and stop/go confusion as happened to the vaccination program in the early days (and indeed, still - in some cases).

I won't deny that I am very optimistic. This is a very important move forward and I know that there will still be many countries we can't yet travel to, but at least we can now (well, from July the 19th).

There were a few interesting (and some negative) developments during the month:

- Belarus's disgraceful and illegal state-backed hijacking of a Ryanair aircraft.
- United announces new DUB services, including 3 wkly to ORD
- Still no sign of FR 737 Maxes
- MHQ extended, but several EU countries and US removed from list
- Installation of lighting on new DUB runway
- New DUB tower received major architectural award

So, let's look forward to a much more positive summer and let's hope that the pace of re-opening continues.

Dougal was right all long; July 19th is the day the ice age ends ...

OA260

Re: Irish 6/21: Sunshine after the rain

Mon May 31, 2021 5:58 pm

Roll on the 19/7. I have a lot of friends in my social circle that are planning mini trips to EDI LHR MAN LPL . Should be some good news for the duty free at DUB and get retail there going again. When you consider 1LTR of Paddy Whiskey is €40 but UK flyers pay €13 and allowed 4 bottles Id say there will be an exodus ;) Especially if FR do the €9.99 fares .

OA260

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:56 am

Interesting new appointment at BHD . Will be interesting to see what he has planned to do during his time at BHD .

Former London City Airport CCO takes over the controls at Belfast

He joins an airport very much in growth mode, with seven carriers currently serving 26 destinations, and which was recently named as the UK and Ireland's most convenient airport.

www.irishnews.com/business/2021/06/01/n ... t-2340288/

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Today saw the resumption of scheduled passenger flights at SNN and NOC for the first time since early January. Today also marked FR's return to BHD after an 11-year hiatus.

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Did some online shopping on the Aer Lingus AerClub eStore on Friday. They were doing 12 Avios per €1 for Lifestyle Sports and I needed new running shoes. Made the purchase Friday, shoes delivered Saturday, 2,160 Avios arrived this morning. Very happy with that!

Also made a hotel booking with Booking.com as it's 8 Avios per €1 right now plus a 1,000 Avios bonus for all bookings made between 27 May and 10 June. I should get 3,178 Avios for a two night stay, so happy days.

I really need to remember that eStore is there, because there are more than 100 retailers on it, so I could conceivably earn quite a lot from it.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:14 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Did some online shopping on the Aer Lingus AerClub eStore on Friday. They were doing 12 Avios per €1 for Lifestyle Sports and I needed new running shoes. Made the purchase Friday, shoes delivered Saturday, 2,160 Avios arrived this morning. Very happy with that!

Also made a hotel booking with Booking.com as it's 8 Avios per €1 right now plus a 1,000 Avios bonus for all bookings made between 27 May and 10 June. I should get 3,178 Avios for a two night stay, so happy days.

I really need to remember that eStore is there, because there are more than 100 retailers on it, so I could conceivably earn quite a lot from it.

I earn loads from eStore too. Also SuperValu has one featuring many retailers not on the Avios one so you can bag some easy points there too and convert over to Avios.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Good to see United promoting service resumptions:

IrishTexan

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:47 am

Can anyone confirm whether US Preclearance is currently operational at DUB?
Tks in advance.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:29 am

IrishTexan wrote:
Tks in advance.

Its operating.

richcandy

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 am

Does anyone know when the BA lounge at BHD might re-open?

Thanks

Alex

Eagleboy

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:38 am

kaitak wrote:
.....Hi folks ... it's that time again.

6/21 is ready to board: masks, hazmat suits, PCR tests, antigen tests, ID - and boarding passes - at the ready:..

Except of course for the stubborn refusal of the Irish Govt/NPHET to recognise the usage of antigen tests under the EU digital green certificate.

Saw this tweet posted by a workmate yesterday. it seems that 7 EU member states have already started to rollout the DGC. Yet Ireland is waiting 6 weeks.
https://twitter.com/EU_Consumer/status/ ... 1159668736

Actual article here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... ip_21_2721

Since 10 May, 22 countries have already tested the gateway successfully. While the Regulation will be applied from 1 July, all Member States, which have passed the technical tests and are ready to issue and verify certificates, can now start using the system on a voluntary basis. Already today, seven Member States – Bulgaria, Czechia, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Croatia and Poland – have decided to connect to the gateway and started issuing first EU certificates, while certain countries have decided to launch the EU Digital COVID Certificate only when all functions are deployed nationwide. Therefore, more countries will join in the coming days and weeks.

IrishTexan wrote:

Tks in advance.
I dont think it ever stopped operating. As there have been daily flights DUB-USA throughout this entire situation.

opticalilyushin

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:31 pm

richcandy wrote:
Does anyone know when the BA lounge at BHD might re-open?

Thanks

Alex

I'm pretty certain it's not re-opening at all. The airline is closing a load of them, using 3rd party lounges- Aspire etc. instead. Pre-Covid it was also rumoured that frequent fliers would no longer get access either, unless booked on a premium/club ticket.

OA260

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Potential row threatens to derail Aer Lingus appearance before Oireachtas committee

There will be ‘no reversal’ of Shannon Airport decision , airline to tell TDs and senators

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 2?mode=amp

It will be interesting to see if this is leverage for Aer Lingus to get increased support for their SNN routes and recovery grants in general.

dstc47

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am

Cant see EI getting or even hoping to get anything if, after a year plus of lockdowns various, the Government and even the former Shannon lobby, did not extend any special support to the aviation sector or supported actively the plight of the aviation sector in any special way. IAG management now is probably the most hardnosed they have ever been and the least committed to SNN and EI have no special reason to cooperate. Now if EI wanted bike lanes, or canal rehabilitation, they might get more action and less talk about "obligations".

Fliplot

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:07 am

Different minds, different thoughts. I would suggest that EI do need to have the Government onside. While the SNN decision is regrettable it is a hard business decision. Expect other hard decisions that can be washed through because of covid.

Why do you keep saying EI received no Government support? EI received the same support as all other companies and a loan grant of €150m. Once covid has bottomed further aid will be provided or our economy will flat line.

OA260

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 am

It seems the meeting was postponed as they want Embleton to attend so this will likely happen later this month. Maybe Aer Lingus is showing them who is boss and will not be summoned on a whim. As the article states its a date to be agreed.

Aer Lingus meeting with Oireachtas committee stalled following row
Airline’s chief executive Lynne Embleton to face transport committee later this month

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4582278

--

"Save Shannon Airport" petition racks up thousands of signatures
The online 'Save Shannon Airport' petition calls upon the Irish government to establish a single semi-state authority for Shannon, Cork, and Dublin airports.

www.irishcentral.com/news/save-shannon-airport-petition

Not sure that would be a good idea but then again the pandemic has changed minds and in aviation its certainly a case of never say never.

Fliplot

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Thats what Aer Rianta used to be - DUB, CRK and SNN. I remember the pressure the then Givernment was under to let SNN float and determine its own future!

Miami

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:14 pm

Hearing Aer Lingus may return to Miami this December.

OA260

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Aer Lingus have proposed more cuts to various aspects of its business and cabin crew pay and sick leave are all being reduced .

“According to a document titled 'Proposed Structural Agenda', the starting pay for future cabin crew recruits would fall by over 10% or €2,700 to just over €23,200.”

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0603/1225 ... -pay-cuts/

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Thats what Aer Rianta used to be - DUB, CRK and SNN. I remember the pressure the then Givernment was under to let SNN float and determine its own future!

Yes, but that's only for good times, or didn't you get that memo? In the bad times, the Government should step in and take control again, then when good times come, let them determine their own future, until a bad time comes and they can throw it back at the Government. Seems legit, right?

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus have proposed more cuts to various aspects of its business and cabin crew pay and sick leave are all being reduced .

“According to a document titled 'Proposed Structural Agenda', the starting pay for future cabin crew recruits would fall by over 10% or €2,700 to just over €23,200.”

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/06 ... -pay-cuts/

I don't have any issue with reducing starting pay of new staff coming in, as long as existing staff salaries don't change.

It's basically what BA did when it started Mixed Fleet and I'm all for it.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:02 pm

There will come a time when Aer Lingus do what BA did last year - namely make all the expensive crew redundant and keep just the cheap crew

You might think "but that is not legal" ... to which my answer is "You have no idea how evil HR can be in large companies when it is a case of finding some way to do this or lose their own jobs". There WILL be a way to ditch the expensive crew when the need arises
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:04 pm

A little off topic but AF is currently getting its 77Ws repainted at SNN - I'm only noticing now that the AF titles along the fuselage are slightly larger; much nicer in my opinion (pic here):
https://flyinginireland.com/2021/06/sha ... -update-2/

EI320

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:24 pm

OA260 wrote:

These are all areas EI have had their eye on for many years - the last remnants of the old school. It’s not surprising they’re using the current crisis to turn the screw.

Fliplot

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Everything that EI does now further reduces quality of service. Just like BA! Did they imagine a new CEO wouldn't smooth out the wrinkles? It is fair to say FR now offer better options all round. For a life long EI supporter it's genuinely sad!

I'm not sure that I agree with ClassicLover above. I know no company where split salary levels work, especially where all are doing the same work. Just look at the mess the teachers crested!

Genuinely disappointed!

shamrock321

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 am

EI320 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

These are all areas EI have had their eye on for many years - the last remnants of the old school. It’s not surprising they’re using the current crisis to turn the screw.

I’m surprised it took so long for them to start turning them to be honest! At BA WOrldwide and Eurofleet were merged with Mixed Fleet as soon as there was the smallest opportunity to do so!

Fliplot

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:02 am

But the situation in BA was already different and complicated! For EI it is jyst getting rid of longterm legacy staff.

shamrock321

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 am

Fliplot wrote:
But the situation in BA was already different and complicated! For EI it is jyst getting rid of longterm legacy staff.

That’s exactly what getting rid of WW and EF did…

OA260

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am

Seems a delay in delivering the MAX's but it may suit FR considering the current climate.

Ryanair may delay deliveries of Boeing Max jets

Delay is related to the certification of the MAX200 model

www.independent.ie/business/world/ryana ... 01058.html

--

A new campaign by BHD to highlight the advantages of the city centre airport and now with more routes added to the portfolio it makes it even more attractive from both flyers within NI and those across the border.

Business Live showcases brand campaign at George Best Belfast City Airport

The campaign will target business commuters using the airport

www.belfastlive.co.uk/business/business ... n-20737201

tonystan

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
There will come a time when Aer Lingus do what BA did last year - namely make all the expensive crew redundant and keep just the cheap crew

You might think "but that is not legal" ... to which my answer is "You have no idea how evil HR can be in large companies when it is a case of finding some way to do this or lose their own jobs". There WILL be a way to ditch the expensive crew when the need arises

But thats not what happened David. As former WW crew myself, we have not been removed. We are still there albeit with a slight pay cut and change to how we operate. MF is no more either, they are now part of the combined fleet with a pay increase (the only department in BA to get a pay increase post Covid) and now they benefit from far superior terms and conditions with an agreement which they never had before thanks to the WW and EF unions. Yes a lot of the former WW/EF crew took VR but not quite half so there is still a sizeable lot of us remaining.

Although i agree with you regarding what large companies would do, how this was carried out by the company was nothing short of appalling and shameful. And there is no surprises that within 48 hours of You Know Who departing the company there was suddenly a calming and resolve between management and the workforce’s.

Despite the pay cut we took, there is actually a better outlook for most of us which includes promotion which was removed from us back in 2010.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:42 am

I believe the voluntary redundancy earlier in the pandemic for BA WW crew was done with a bit of coercion involved - ie take this offer or we may lay you off anyway with a lower redundancy payoff. The fact that many took the voluntary redundancy meant it wasn't necessary to turn nastier

If EI choose to have crew doing substantially the same role with the same responsibilities on separate payscales, unions will smell a rat and guess what EI's intentions are further down the line
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

tonystan

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:43 am

Fliplot wrote:

But they really aren’t. From what I have read the changes that may be coming their way are not too drastic. There could be a reduction in pay for some who have reached their 15 year top ups down to about 12 or 13 (not sure of the exact details), a plan to reduce paid sick days and also a change to commission payments etc. And all with a pay freeze for a period of time. Far better resolve than what occurred for many at BA.

From what I am hearing, its not going to be drastic. Their crew already work to minimums T&C wise so I doubt there is much they can do there except reduce the number of supervisory grades onboard wide body flights.

tonystan

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:47 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I believe the voluntary redundancy earlier in the pandemic for BA WW crew was done with a bit of coercion involved - ie take this offer or we may lay you off anyway with a lower redundancy payoff. The fact that many took the voluntary redundancy meant it wasn't necessary to turn nastier

If EI choose to have crew on separate payscales, unions will smell a rat and guess what EI's intentions are further down the line

There was a small element of that but considering there was only a .4% differential in the VR versus the SR which was already paltry (especially compared to what EI were offering) it really wasn’t an element in the push factor. However the production of the company “wish list” of how we might have been working was more of a concern but alas some people fell for it but many more saw through the ‘Fire and Rehire” tactics.

It’s not quite as you perceive it, they certainly did not nor intended to “make all the expensive crew redundant”. Changed the way they worked for sure but remember an equally relative number of MF crew also took the VR so it all balanced out.

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Seems odd to make an assumption when you are able to interact directly with a BA staffer

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If EI choose to have crew doing substantially the same role with the same responsibilities on separate payscales, unions will smell a rat and guess what EI's intentions are further down the line

EI unions dont need to guess what the mgmt intentions are, they are telegraphing them well in advance for years now,

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:50 pm

I was at work today (and granted I started later than usual), but I am finding the airport very much busier than in recent weeks, which is great; regional flights, which might easily have had single figure loads a few weeks back, now have good, solid loads. An EI gate agent told me that some sun flights are operating with loads of over 100. EIR started MAN and NQY this week and more flights will follow over the next few weeks.

Flight numbers are still pretty low, but when you consider that you could have walked through (for example) Pier 1 about a month ago and not seen anyone (or very few), the place now looks a lot busier. It does make me wonder why the gardai are still at the airport - do they ask all pax if their journey is now necessary? I'm not complaining, of course; it's just that we're a good six weeks weeks away from July the 19th and people seem to have taken it upon themselves to start moving!

The removal of Portugal from the UK green list (which has now been extended to NI), makes one question if people will actually start moving in the opposite direction! We thought there might have been a bleed of pax north, but that doesn't look likely. I can only imagine that there are a large number of severely cheesed-off UK holidaymakers at the moment.

JAmie2k9

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:48 pm

The next A321 NEO European routes for Aer Lingus are:

Rome - 06.20
Paris - 06.40
London LHR - 07.30 (already operating)
Lanzarote - 14.40

Extra A333 to Faro also.

OA260

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:27 pm

kaitak wrote:
. It does make me wonder why the gardai are still at the airport - do they ask all pax if their journey is now necessary? I'm not complaining, of course; it's just that we're a good six weeks weeks away from July the 19th and people seem to have taken it upon themselves to start moving!

There are certainly some who are indeed heading away anyway especially fully vaccinated over 65’s who can do quarantine on return. Those that own properties in Spain etc …

The Gards seem to be on limited hours from feedback I have heard. So if people are on a 0600 or after 1800 they are likely to be met with an empty podium prior to security .

The Canary Islands yesterday changed the entry rules so that fully vaccinated Irish can enter freely with no PCR or other limitations.

OA260

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Maybe there is a cross border fund they can tap into but whether it is the right thing to do it questionable.

Dublin should be asked to contribute to the funding of Derry airport, says Sinn Féin MLA Martina Anderson

40% of the passengers who use it come from Donegal

www.derryjournal.com/business/dublin-sh ... 256197?amp

Thompson Aero cuts 180 jobs in Banbridge and Portadown

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 91191.html

Sad to see more jobs go at Thompson but obviously very much impacted by current events .

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:09 pm

OA260 wrote:
Maybe there is a cross border fund they can tap into but whether it is the right thing to do it questionable.

Dublin should be asked to contribute to the funding of Derry airport, says Sinn Féin MLA Martina Anderson

http://www.derryjournal.com/business/du ... 256197?amp

How stupid is this!

That means 40% of the passengers pay the passenger services fees as well. If they can't afford the airport, close it and let the people in Derry go to Belfast instead.

Honestly... the politicians in this part of the world...

Aerlingus330neo

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:19 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

How stupid is this!

That means 40% of the passengers pay the passenger services fees as well. If they can't afford the airport, close it and let the people in Derry go to Belfast instead.

Agree, can not afford to run and operate the Airport close it, there is plenty of travel links between Derry/Londonderry to Belfast. The by-pass also being built will also make it easier to get between the city and the international airport or even the BHD.

OA260

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am

A few pics from the Aer Lingus lounge showing the new sockets/USB points at each block of two.

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 am

OA260 wrote:
A few pics from the Aer Lingus lounge showing the new sockets/USB points at each block of two.

Oooh! I'm looking forward to seeing the new lounge when it opens!

Can't be too long now... one would hope.

Eagleboy

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:24 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Oooh! I'm looking forward to seeing the new lounge when it opens!

Can't be too long now... one would hope.

Would have loved to half inch the A350 model before it closed last year.........

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
Would have loved to half inch the A350 model before it closed last year.........

Haha! I wonder if someone nabbed it or whether EI decided to keep it and store it. We'll have to find out!

Vicenza

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:03 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Redundancy payments in the United Kingdom are governed by law, so your assumption really wouldn't be correct.

Galwayman

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Vicenza wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Redundancy payments in the United Kingdom are governed by law, so your assumption really wouldn't be correct.

It's perfectly normal and perfectly legal in the UK to offer a slightly enhanced redundancy package if people choose to volunteer and sign away their rights to claim . Those who don't volunteer and are susequently selected can be offered statutory minimum. It's possibly coercive and it's entirely legal.

Irish redundancy provisions are usually much more generous.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

How stupid is this!

One would also question the 40% figure thrown about as well. Since FR scaled down and eventually pulled out LDY, the 40% disappeared and moved to Belfast.

EIBoston

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 pm

So EI are selling flights from SNN as of Sept 13th. How is this going to work? I may have missed this discussion already(apologies)

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:17 pm

EIBoston wrote:
So EI are selling flights from SNN as of Sept 13th. How is this going to work? I may have missed this discussion already(apologies)

Crewed from Dublin, possibly Cork. No one seems quite sure if it will be W patterns or crew transfers to/from the sign-on point.

OA260

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 pm

Hopefully these crew will be able to secure alternative options and ride out the storm until next Summer.

Aer Lingus lays-off 110 more crew until 2022 in new cuts

https://m.independent.ie/business/aer-l ... 03762.html

Aer Lingus cut-price promotion shows travel industry’s desperation
Airline offers US tourists package including flights and stay at Ashford Castle for €1,067

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 7?mode=amp

Some good offers Ex USA for those that can make the trip. These will probably last through the Autumn to try entice tourists back to Ireland.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos