Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 6/21: Sunshine after the rain

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm

State ready to issue 1m Covid certs for international travel

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 5?mode=amp

Anyone that registered on the HSE portal looks set to get their certs on time but what is not clear is the implications of those delayed who had their vaccinations at their GP.

Phen

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
Hopefully sense will prevail and come 19/7 fully vaccinated will not be required to have one coming from CTA / EU countries.

Yes I would imagine the Spanish authorities will be under a lot of pressure from the native tourism and hospitality industries, which are so heavily reliant on foreign visitors, to allow unrestricted access for vaccinated tourists.

Some positive news here regarding the EU Digital Covid Certificate, the Govt is saying they are "ready to issue certificates clearing one million Irish residents to travel in Europe, according to Minister of State, Ossian Smith."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4589645

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 pm

OA260 wrote:
State ready to issue 1m Covid certs for international travel

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... 5?mode=amp

Anyone that registered on the HSE portal looks set to get their certs on time but what is not clear is the implications of those delayed who had their vaccinations at their GP.

That's very good! Hopefully they all land on 19 July as they're supposed to.

Next all we need is for all countries to harmonise the rules so that vaccinated people are exempt from testing and quarantine and we're good to go!

OA260

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am

Aer Lingus have removed from sale DUB-SPU for the rest of the Summer.

---

Going abroad again may not be quite as expensive as we feared as State to apply to €100m EU fund for PCR tests

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 26061.html

A survey was done where it was suggested the consumer would be willing to pay around EUR20-25 for a test so it will be interesting to see what the actual cost will be for those that require them.

OA260

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Seems the media have just picked up on the cancelations that have been generating emails to customers over the last 72 hours .

Aer Lingus cancels some flights due to poor demand

Aer Lingus has announced it has cancelled a number of flights to European destinations due to poor demand from customers.
The routes have been cancelled for the remainder of 2021.

www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/1227645-aer-l ... ellations/

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Next all we need is for all countries to harmonise the rules so that vaccinated people are exempt from testing and quarantine and we're good to go!

The EU green cert is a step in the right direction. I’m sure the US and UK are watching closely. If both of them follow the same model I think we may that standard being rolled out across the globe.

Galwayman wrote:
That’s nuts - you might as well throw hundreds of thousands of Euro on a bonfire .

Can an NYC based cabin crew do NYC - SNN return back to back ? Anybody know if it would be within hours ?
[/quote]
There are no NYC based cabin crew.
And no is the answer. It would be technically legal under EASA FTL rules (16.5 hour max when working through the WOCL) but any delay would cause the flight to cancelled. And that assumes the return leg is less than 2 hours after arrival in SNN. (Which it isn’t)

So stop throwing out stupid ideas just because you have a chip on your shoulder towards cabin crew.

Eirules

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:49 pm

OA260 wrote:
Seems the media have just picked up on the cancelations that have been generating emails to customers over the last 72 hours .

Aer Lingus has announced it has cancelled a number of flights to European destinations due to poor demand from customers.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/122764 ... ellations/

Well that article is about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. No information on routes, frequencies etc

Eirules

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:50 pm

OA260 wrote:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/122764 ... ellations/

Well that article is about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. No information on routes, frequencies etc

Fliplot

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 pm

I am quite certain no one said anything negative about cabin crew. The chat is around EI and how it will crew its SNN flights. I guess we will have to wait and see once the flights are operating.

Fliplot

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:58 pm

I think EI are playing to a different tune these days. How can they gauge occupancy if we dont know when flights will operate. Sounds like further cuts being blamed on covid. Yet LH, LX, AF, KL and others are able to ooerate. Maybe the new CEO had sone specific instructions because she had formed no attachments!
Also too many stung by the EI refund policy to chance booking in advanxe.

Eagleboy

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:38 am

Fliplot wrote:
I am quite certain no one said anything negative about cabin crew. The chat is around EI and how it will crew its SNN flights. I guess we will have to wait and see once the flights are operating.

Galwayman repeatedly denigrates cabin crew(specifically EI crew) and has on at least 3 occasions suggested that EI should just use US crew for their TA ops.

rojam

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:06 am

Appears there is some privately-announced final news tonight regarding our Stobart Air, yes "final". More tomorrow, though you'll probably all see it on your own news-feeds long before me.

Allanc1987

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:41 am

rojam wrote:
Appears there is some privately-announced final news tonight regarding our Stobart Air, yes "final". More tomorrow, though you'll probably all see it on your own news-feeds long before me.

See that all Stobart Air flights have been cancelled for today, has the sale to ettyl fallen though?

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am

Very sad news. Thinking of their wonderful crew and staff. Hope this is sorted quickly. It leaves EI in a bit of a bind, because pax would have booked their flights through EI website. Emerald is not yet up and running (far from it), so what happens now? Will EI have to step in and rescue them? Will they have to find someone else as an interim measure (e.g. Loganair, Eastern?).

Allanc1987

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 am

Apparently on another form there is talk that the contract has been terminated with immediate effect and that has caused all flights to be cancelled.

Hopefully That Stobart Air possibly be bought over quickly by someone or will not take long for Emerald to startup so crew and staff not out of work long.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:05 am

So, Aer Lingus did this? And before Emerald was up and running? I hope they (EI) have a plan. What are they going to say to pax who have bookings over the period until Emerald up and running? "Sorry, there was an airline we had contracted to operate this route, but we stabbed them in the back."

Jambost

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 am

Very sad for Stobart air, hope their staff have a future with Emerald.

Did EI finish them off or did Stobart air follow Flybe and just collaspe with lack of interested buyers and funds?

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:09 am

RTE reporting it now

Aer Lingus cancels all Stobart Air regional flights

All Aer Lingus regional flights operated by Stobart Air have been cancelled with immediate effect after Stobart Air announced it has ceased operations.

Aer Lingus said the airline informed them last night it was terminating its franchise agreement with Aer Lingus and was in the process of appointing a liquidator.

www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0612/1227685-stobart-air/

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am

If EI does not have a plan then this is a total mess. It is time EI explained it's actions begining with why it chose an non existant paper airline?

FR is begining to look positively saintly!!!

ELBOB

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 am

A harsh lesson in the perils of being a supplier rather than a brand. As soon as the Emerald decision was announced, Stobart lost their long-term value to any investor because they had no identity or strategy beyond being an Aer Lingus seat-mile supplier.

Eirules

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 am

I wonder was this a deliberate EI decision to allow their own crew & aircraft to operate as many routes as possible given where things are at?

bx737

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 am

Bearing in mind that the RTÉ article above stated that Stobart Air advised Aer Lingus it was terminating the franchise agreement with immediate effect and ceasing operations, I don’t think this was expected as there does not appear to be a backup plan in place. It is worth bearing in mind Stobart posted huge losses recently, the take over by Ettyl seems to have fallen through due to problems requiring police investigations of one of the backers and they lost the Aer Lingus contract from December 2022. I don’t think Aer Lingus can be totally blamed for what happened. I feel very sorry for the staff of Stobart Air, it is horrible news to wake up to.

Dublinspotter

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 am

Tragic news about Stobart, really feel for the crews who must be in shock at EI’s alleged behaviour in recent months re the regional contract.

It seemed Stobart/EIR were really going to give it a shot with BHD. Every time I flew them, it was their staff and crew that made me rebook subsequent flights. That’s the sign of a good airline in my eyes.

I happened to see two of their ATRs arrive (EI-FNA from LBA) and depart (EI-FSK to MAN) BHD yesterday as my ferry came in - I didn’t realise that would be my last time seeing them.

Sad times indeed.

Stay Safe
Dublinspotter

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 am

Circumstances are to blame for the Stobart Air demise. But EI played a signuficant role. Why did they chose a paper airline? Why limit the liquidators already limited iptions? Stobart Air's financials were always flaky but they usually muddled through - maybe the mud became to thick!

Funny all the talk in the past about connectivity. No we do have a problem. In one night we loose a sizable chunk of our UK connections.

It's time to sit down and work out what we actually need, and how we will pay for it!

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am

Fliplot wrote:
Circumstances are to blame for the Stobart Air demise. But EI played a signuficant role. Why did they chose a paper airline? Why limit the liquidators already limited iptions? Stobart Air's financials were always flaky but they usually muddled through - maybe the mud became to thick!

Funny all the talk in the past about connectivity. No we do have a problem. In one night we loose a sizable chunk of our UK connections.

It's time to sit down and work out what we actually need, and how we will pay for it!

Sad news for the staff at Stobart Air. I always had good flights with them, to and from Donegal, over to Scotland and so on. Hopefully they'll be able to find alternative roles in aviation in due course, if they wish to stay in the industry.

Clearly the Emerald Airlines people tabled a better offer for Aer Lingus, which is why they won the contract. It's not like Aer Lingus did a bad thing - this is how capitalism works. Pointing the finger is not going to help.

I also wouldn't worry about the UK connectivity. It's not like EI is running anything close to a full schedule, so I am sure they have capacity in the existing fleet to run services to those places at this time. Could pose a problem if demand bounces back really quickly though, as they'll be caught short to a degree.

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am

Something is going to have to be done. Not a big issue at the moment but all the TATL DUBHUB feed is gone from these lost routes. I know the CEO of EI said Aer Lingus will be a lot smaller when it comes through COVID-19 but thats a big chunk added to the already axed routes. Hopefully things can be expedited with Emerald and get those routes back or as many as possible. A sizeable impact at BHD too.

opticalilyushin

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:28 am

The longer than anticipated wait for their UK AOC to come through was starting to put a strain on their BHD operations, resulting in a full schedule, a grounded aircraft and delays resulting on busier days..on the other hand flights were all or mostly full, so demand is there.

shamrock350

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am

Not sure why there’s so much talk of Stobart being betrayed by Aer Lingus here, this isn’t a teenage soap opera. The airline had every right to award the contract to someone else once it was up for renewal and had zero obligation to keep Stobart afloat. Of course it would have been in Aer Lingus’ best interests to see Stobart flourish but they can only go so far to make that happen.

I’m confident the rot had set in a long time ago at Stobart, the Flybe ops were a mess from the start, the failure with Virgin Atlantic to deliver the Connect Airways deal and the failed acquisition by Cityjet all indicate a troublesome business to deal with. Aer Lingus would have taken the overall health of Stobart into consideration when awarding the new contract, the pandemic and its previous financial struggles secured its fate.

Now Aer Lingus is left with a mess to deal with, bookings will luckily be low but it’s still damage to the brand and vital regional links gone overnight. Temporarily they could operate a daily A320 to certain destinations as a “rescue” measure but the medium term will be a struggle without Emerald ready. Knowing Aer Lingus, they could also considering cutting their losses, ending all regional flying until Emerald is ready. It wouldn’t be wise in my opinion but it would be typical.

EIBPI

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am

The Irish domestic routes are ridiculously well subsided. Surely someone would be interested in jumping in at very short notice, especially to Kerry where almost any aircraft type could be operated.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:09 am

While I expected it would happen just not so soon. Hopefully Emerald can get up and running earlier and possibly take many ST staff on.

Presumably EI mainline will return to Scotland over the summer with the importance of the market. Apart from Bristol the other routes are not as important.

The issue for EI is the downsized short haul fleet one of the main reasons for the above route cancellations which was not just demand based as the media imply.

shamrock350

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:53 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
The issue for EI is the downsized short haul fleet one of the main reasons for the above route cancellations which was not just demand based as the media imply.

Which is probably a wise decision in the long term but it doesn’t make things any easier. I’m guessing management don’t want to bring back the remaining short haul fleet at considerable cost just for a brief window of opportunity before having to put them back in storage for the quiet winter ahead?

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:56 am

I simply dont understand. Have EI downsized its shorthaul fleet so much that it cannot cover Stobart's collapse?
I am not blaming EI for the collapse but it did play a part!

Phen

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Fliplot wrote:
I simply dont understand. Have EI downsized its shorthaul fleet so much that it cannot cover Stobart's collapse?

It's not so much that they have intentionally downsized their short-haul fleet, it is a product of the current travel restrictions and surpassed demand - a lot of their 320s and all their 321ceos are parked up because they are simply not needed and subsequently a lot of crews are not current and can't just start flying again at a moment's notice. There is a long lead-in time for training crews to get back to operations at full tilt, probably around 2-3 months, so with a sudden announcement like this, mainline EI can't just jump in overnight.

EI320

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:10 pm

EI can muddle through without Regional ops for 2021 using mainline to fill in some of the larger gaps, but 2022 will prove more challenging. They risk ceding a large % of UK market share to FR while feed to the long-haul network will be reduced at a time when it is much-needed. I can imagine pressure will come on Emerald to get their stall set up ASAP in 2022. This isn’t the type of transition EI would have wished for, but alas, this is the uncertain world we must now navigate.

EI320

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Stobart Air was a business with some great, hard-working people, but often let down by mediocre senior management.

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:29 pm

Loganair have stepped in with rescue fares on all routes they serve from BHD for stranded Aer Lingus passengers operated by Stobart. £60 incl a bag oneway upon proof of a booking .

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:30 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Which is probably a wise decision in the long term but it doesn’t make things any easier. I’m guessing management don’t want to bring back the remaining short haul fleet at considerable cost just for a brief window of opportunity before having to put them back in storage for the quiet winter ahead?

Wise longer term yes, acting on the decision 48 hours after Gov announced Int travel restart in July is not a way to do business.

They should pick up at a minimum daily EDI/GLA rotation over the summer.

EI320 wrote:
EI can muddle through without Regional ops for 2021 using mainline to fill in some of the larger gaps, but 2022 will prove more challenging. They risk ceding a large % of UK market share to FR while feed to the long-haul network will be reduced at a time when it is much-needed. I can imagine pressure will come on Emerald to get their stall set up ASAP in 2022. This isn’t the type of transition EI would have wished for, but alas, this is the uncertain world we must now navigate.

I tend to agree. If they have nothing substantial in place by May 2022 then they will be in trouble.

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 pm

I think May 2022 will be too late. The demand will ramp up in the next 3 months.
I would not be impressed with EI management if they cannot or have not the ability to step up. There has been a problem with the latest Stovart deal from the start. Regional operations fed the atlantic operations. Has the MAN operation coloured EIs view on hub operations?

Allanc1987

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:06 pm

What if say Emerald could start in 6 months time, could Aer Lingus temp lease 6 ATRs's from Air Nostrum for DUB, CFN and KIR routes, and 6 E190 from BA City flyer for BHD routes?

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 pm

Apparently efforts to secure DUB - CFN / KIR are underway by the government.

EIEIDW

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Aer Lingus appear to be putting BHD-MAN/BHX/EDI on sale for tomorrow on an Airbus 320

EIFAK

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi all, long time lurker (circa 15 years) and Stobart crew. I want to say thank you for the many kind comments about the Stobart crew. I've made some friends for life working there.

I've probably come across many of the posters here during my time without knowing. I had the pleasure of meeting BrianDromey and having a chat, simply as the name on the boarding card was pretty much the same as his username, a very nice guy.

Have to say that EI320's comment on management has been the feeling of many of us for a long, long time.

Phen

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Fliplot wrote:
I think May 2022 will be too late. The demand will ramp up in the next 3 months.
I would not be impressed with EI management if they cannot or have not the ability to step up. There has been a problem with the latest Stovart deal from the start. Regional operations fed the atlantic operations. Has the MAN operation coloured EIs view on hub operations?

They have the ability of course to step up, but remember an A320, which is the smallest a/c that EI have, is far too big for some of these routes. The DUB-Scotland routes or DUB-BRS and maybe a couple of others could be served by a 320 temporarily and this put in place relatively quickly as a very short term stop-gap measure, but the likes of CFN obviously cannot be. Having a 320 on many of these routes would be economically totally unviable hence it could only be done for a few weeks or months I'd imagine, if at all. If it was a viable option then they'd have been doing it already.

I hope you are right in that demand will return 3 months but I would not blame EI for being very cautious right now - the last thing they need is to invest in retraining crew and taking a/c out of storage etc. only for things not to recover as hoped before the winter. Whats going on in the UK in terms of countries coming onto and off the green list (i.e. Portugal) is a very bad omen for the rest of this summer as well as the hysteria we see about the delta variant. I think they are wise to be slow at the moment because it could well turn out that things don't pick up at all until next summer. Of course I hope I am wrong and who knows another month things could be very different such is the pace of events with this pandemic.

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:31 pm

The Indo is certainly not holding back with this article published today .

Increasing shock at the Government’s casual approach to death of aviation industry
There is no surprise in the aviation sector at the collapse of Stobart Air but there is increasing shock at the Government’s casual approach to the death of the wider aviation industry in Ireland.
Stobart’s liquidation is just the latest shoe to drop in the shambles that has become the once proud Irish aviation sector.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/incr ... 30819.html

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:34 pm

None of this is good news for the consumers or guests as Ei iike to call us! I agree that treading softly is the best approach. However let's ve honest IAG have all the types of aircraft necessary to operate any schedule and significant free capacity at present. Otherwise what is the point of a group of airlines if they are unable to step up in a crisis!
As I said time and creativity will tell.

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:55 pm

I for one am happy thst the Irish Givernment has not ploughed billions into what is a bottomless black hole! To imagine that Stobart was stable and finacially sound is silly.nonsence. There were too many factors involved.
It is horrible for those who have lost their jobs and I sincerely hope they will recover and be sucessful in the future.

But it is time for a complete rethink on commercial aviation operations in and out of Ireland. We have to rethink super chesp fares, work towards sustainable growth and build solid structure. I am sorry Seamus Brennan is not alive and in Transport. He remains one of the few ministers with vision and courage.
We also have to stop playing at politics and start making tough business decisions. Shut SNN if it cant successfully operate. Why are we enlarging Waterford which has no commercial flights! Why do we need PSO flights? Why aren't all our airports 24 hour operations like they are in EE, CEE and the CIS? Why is our summer season late May to early September - why not 10 months as there are enough sun destinations? Why arent airlines obliged to have contingency funds? Why are airlines allowed to rip us.off on refunds though the laws are there to protect us?

FR has the size, the ruthless pursuit of cost cutting, the flexibility and efficiency, and the vision. I dont particularly like them but I certainly cannot fault their enormous sucess!

EI320

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Fliplot wrote:

I think we should temper our expectations around a quick ramp-up unfortunately. I personally don’t see it happening. We continue to see mixed signals from Government (not just in Ireland) and I’m not sensing any real momentum behind a large-scale return to international travel.

I expect we’ll see an initial burst of leisure travel to the usual sunspots in Aug, Sep and Oct, as well as a certain amount of VFR travel to/from the UK & Europe, but I think “gradual” will be the word to describe the nature of the recovery. I’d expect business travel to remain muted until 2022. A material recovery in long-haul travel, particularly to Asia, may not be seen until 2023. Against this backdrop, EI is right to be cautious about returning a large number of aircraft to active service.

Not trying to be a pessimist here - I do believe we’ll see a strong recovery over time, but holding one’s breath for 2021 may not be advisable.

EI320

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:53 pm

EIFAK wrote:
Hi all, long time lurker (circa 15 years) and Stobart crew. I want to say thank you for the many kind comments about the Stobart crew. I've made some friends for life working there.

I've probably come across many of the posters here during my time without knowing. I had the pleasure of meeting BrianDromey and having a chat, simply as the name on the boarding card was pretty much the same as his username, a very nice guy.

Have to say that EI320's comment on management has been the feeling of many of us for a long, long time.

Thanks for joining us EIFAK, and my thoughts are with all of you today. Aviation can be an unforgiving industry, but I’ve no doubt the Stobart team will bounce back in time.

OA260

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Some Aer Lingus Regional flights to resume tomorrow

Aer Lingus this evening said it would operate five of the 12 routes and BA City Flyer will operate two more for at least the next week.

"Alternative operations for the outstanding routes are still being determined," it said.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0612/1227685-stobart-air/

Good news the response has been fast such is the importance of some of the routes .

Fliplot

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm

EI saying they don't know how many are effected by the Stobart collapse! How is that possible since it was the EI booking platform used by Stobart for regional services?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos