Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iRISH251

Re: Irish 6/21: Sunshine after the rain

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
The first revenue flight of FR's 7M8 (EI-HEN) took place this evening on the DUB-STN route.

To much fanfare and excitement Ryanair launches the first commercial Boeing 737-8200 flight from Dublin to Stansted this evening.

Enthusiasts gathered near the perimeter roads at Dublin Airport and Stansted to witness the departure and arrival of this super new aircraft on its inaugural revenue generating mission. The 8200's Leap engines propelled the aircraft skywards leaving a miniscule noise signature on departure. The aircraft was Captained by Ryanair Chief Pilot, Aidan Murray (who delivered the first 8200 from Seattle to Dublin last week) and assisted by recent AFTA graduate, First Officer, Frances Quinn.

Ryanair’s pilots have completed comprehensive 8200 differences training in preparation for entry to service of this magnificent addition to the fleet. Well done to all, onwards and upwards and best wishes and safe flying to all at Ryanair.

https://www.facebook.com/AtlanticFlightTrainingAcademy

I was at the runway 28L car park at DUB and saw only one other photographer. The weather was very dull in any case.

OA260

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 am

Loganair launches new Dublin – Aberdeen Route

Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement by Loganair that it will begin a new service between Dublin and Aberdeen.

The airline will operate its four times weekly service with a 49- seater Embraer 145 regional aircraft from September 5, increasing frequency to a daily service from March 28, 2022.

www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2021/ ... deen-route

Great to see another Regional route from Loganair.

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:11 am

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair calls on Eamon Ryan to explain why he is failing to reopen Ireland for air travel

http://www.joe.ie/amp/news/ryanair-call ... vel-724737

In fairness, Ireland is far from an outlier in the grand EU scheme of things, but I do think the body politic need to think slightly more rationally in respect of opening up. I disagree with the Minister Smyth's comments that "The HSE’s focus is on public health and on tests to isolate the virus, so they will not be using resources to provide test results for people wishing to travel". Without robust testing and tracing in the event of positive tests on arrival how will they achieve that? Really, the last thing we need is people gaming the system and coming through NI or other loopholes that the Green Certificate may provide. An accurate idea of who is coming, what their vaccination or covid status must be encouraged. Lack of testing and poor tracing allows the virus and variants entry in the first place.
Apart from being an island, Ireland has another unique issue, our two largest aviation markets are non-EU countries and I can't see much evidence that there is a plan in place to restart more normal arrangements between GB and Ireland, in particular.

Connectivity to regional airports is going to be a big problem when travel to GB opens up with the loss of Stobart. Ryanair offer a surprisingly robust route map from NOC, which seems to have passed me by. EI haven't made much noise about what they will offer on former EIR routes from Cork, for example.
As far as I can make out, other than the EI services on ORK-LHR and possibly SNN-LHR, the only options from regional airports are on FR. Apart from LON routes, these are only 2-3x per week.
NOC-BRS, EDI, EMA, LPL, LTN, STN,MAN
ORK-LPL, STN, LTN
SNN-LGW, STN, MAN
KIR-LTN, STN, MAN

iRISH251

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:35 am

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Ryanair calls on Eamon Ryan to explain why he is failing to reopen Ireland for air travel

http://www.joe.ie/amp/news/ryanair-call ... vel-724737

In fairness, Ireland is far from an outlier in the grand EU scheme of things, but I do think the body politic need to think slightly more rationally in respect of opening up. I disagree with the Minister Smyth's comments that "The HSE’s focus is on public health and on tests to isolate the virus, so they will not be using resources to provide test results for people wishing to travel". Without robust testing and tracing in the event of positive tests on arrival how will they achieve that? Really, the last thing we need is people gaming the system and coming through NI or other loopholes that the Green Certificate may provide. An accurate idea of who is coming, what their vaccination or covid status must be encouraged. Lack of testing and poor tracing allows the virus and variants entry in the first place.

Free PCR testing for travellers post-arrival (in line with public health advice) is already in place and serves a public health purpose. https://www.gov.ie/en/service/f4ad3-boo ... n-ireland/

People wishing to travel from Ireland have to pay for their own tests and arrange these privately.

OA260

Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Another hurdle to jump through for travel from 19/7 although a good travel insurance should override the
latest HSE issues .

EU health insurance applications suspended due to HSE cyberattack

www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40321523.html?type=amp

Currently no time frame to resolve this .

OA260

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Looks like many Aer Lingus Regional flights are starting to further be amended and axed right up to 30/10.

al2637

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Question, will Ireland accept EU Digital Certs for inbound passengers from other countries from July 1st? Or that also waits until the 19th?

My understanding is that the EU directive is that they need to be accepted on July 1st?

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

al2637 wrote:
Question, will Ireland accept EU Digital Certs for inbound passengers from other countries from July 1st? Or that also waits until the 19th?

My understanding is that the EU directive is that they need to be accepted on July 1st?

The cert acceptance for travelers to Ireland is from 19th July. Member States have 6 weeks from 1st July to adopt the certificate.

OA260

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:06 pm

al2637 wrote:

Basically even when the 19/7 comes around and it is implemented you will still need to follow any additional rules that your departing country - transit country and
arrival country impose . That may include a PCR test or antigen . The digital cert just proves you have met the first hurdle requirement and member states can impose what they like should the cases / deaths rise in another EU state. People think the digital cert is a passport to a holiday and in reality its just a stepping stone unless a country is deemed low risk. The EUDC map is getting greener but for instance parts of some popular Mainland Spanish resorts are red along with the Canary Islands. Tenerife has moved up to level 3 yesterday due to increased cases .

NI have just added Madeira / Malta / Baleric Islands and some Caribbean Islands to their green list from 30/6.

Allanc1987

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Frew announces £4.5m scheme to support NI’s air connectivity with GB

Economy Minister Paul Frew today announced a £4.5million initiative to support air connectivity between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.

https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/news/frew ... ctivity-gb

al2637

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:55 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
al2637 wrote:

The cert acceptance for travelers to Ireland is from 19th July. Member States have 6 weeks from 1st July to adopt the certificate.

Do you have a source for this? (not that I don't believe you, I'm just struggling to find something official online)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... n#timeline
(timeline seems to suggest July 1st is the day)

BrianDromey

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:02 am

I see that Barbados has gone on the UK Green list. Hopefully that bodes well for the Manchester-Barbados route. There still seems to be very little progress on opening US travel. It does seem like just as travel is opening up, or about to open that cases rise and travel gets taken off the agenda. I think its mainly political theatre at this stage.

OA260

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:34 am

al2637 wrote:
[I'm just struggling to find something official online)

The Irish government advice website is a good place to look .

“Government advice to avoid non-essential travel, and related penalties will remain in place until 18 July. As and from 19 July this will be changed to advise citizens to travel safely and in accordance with public health guidance and restrictions.

What you have to do before you arrive into Ireland from abroad
All passengers arriving in Ireland must:

complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form
provide evidence that you have a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive into Ireland, or have evidence that you are exempt from this legal requirement”

www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travell ... pandemic/#

As said EU member states have 6 weeks from the suggested start date to comply .

shamrock350

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am

BrianDromey wrote:
I see that Barbados has gone on the UK Green list. Hopefully that bodes well for the Manchester-Barbados route. There still seems to be very little progress on opening US travel. It does seem like just as travel is opening up, or about to open that cases rise and travel gets taken off the agenda. I think its mainly political theatre at this stage.

Unfortunately Manchester-Barbados isn’t due to start until late October (that was always its planned launch, it wasn’t pushed back like the two US routes) and considering Portugal only lasted a couple of weeks on the ‘Green List’ it’s hardly going to give much reassurance to anyone booking.

This summer was at the very least an opportunity to bring some clarity back into international travel, a full reopening was always unlikely but a more stable outlook would have been encouraging, instead we get more of the same with green, amber and red lists, confusion over data, last minute self isolation requirements and a long shadow of doubt for the rest of the year.

al2637

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 am

OA260 wrote:
al2637 wrote:
[I'm just struggling to find something official online)

The Irish government advice website is a good place to look .

“Government advice to avoid non-essential travel, and related penalties will remain in place until 18 July. As and from 19 July this will be changed to advise citizens to travel safely and in accordance with public health guidance and restrictions.

What you have to do before you arrive into Ireland from abroad
All passengers arriving in Ireland must:

complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form
provide evidence that you have a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive into Ireland, or have evidence that you are exempt from this legal requirement”

http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020- ... pandemic/#

As said EU member states have 6 weeks from the suggested start date to comply .

Yes, but that contradicts the EU Commission website, hence my confusion.

1 July
The EU Digital COVID Certificate enters into application throughout the EU.

1 July - 12 August
Phase-in period: if a Member State is not yet ready to issue the new certificate to its citizens, other formats can still be used and should be accepted in other Member States.

So yes, there is 6 weeks to issue the certificates, but reading above suggests that they should be accepted from July 1st?

BrianDromey

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 am

shamrock350 wrote:
This summer was at the very least an opportunity to bring some clarity back into international travel, a full reopening was always unlikely but a more stable outlook would have been encouraging, instead we get more of the same with green, amber and red lists, confusion over data, last minute self isolation requirements and a long shadow of doubt for the rest of the year.

The reality of an airborne viral pathogen means that it will quickly spring up places, even where it is unexpected. Covid-free Syndey has had a cluster, this week, for example. Melbourne has been in and out of some versions of lockdown over the past few months. Vaccination has not been quick enough to avoid some unfortunate mutations in the virus. That is not a criticism of vaccination in any way, the vaccine development, their industrialisation and the way they have been rolled out has far surpassed wildest dreams. Thats not to say it has been perfect and that there hasn't been issues, but I can't think of any vaccination program of this scale in history.

There is only so much certainty that can be given - due to the virus, mutations and political whims. The major economies seem to be doing just fine with the current limitations on international travel. There is very little political pressure to open up - especially while domestic life remains restricted. Travel seems to have developed quite a negative stigma, apparently the majority of Japanese are not happy about the Olympics going ahead, for example.

OA260

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am

Aer Lingus promo video :

https://youtu.be/OS8ZooBjgXY

Bia is due to be reintroduced in July and the refurbished lounge will also open shortly after.

Eirules

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus promo video :

Bia is due to be reintroduced in July and the refurbished lounge will also open shortly after.

What’s the situation with the other lounges in DUB operated by the DAA? Are any open?

OA260

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus promo video :

What’s the situation with the other lounges in DUB operated by the DAA? Are any open?

The DAA T1 lounge is open the others are still closed.

Eirules

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:00 pm

OA260 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus promo video :

Sad but unsurprising

JAmie2k9

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:14 pm

As expected DUB-EDI (x9 weekly), GLA (x7 weekly) and BRS (x5 weekly) to be operated by Aer Lingus for the summer. In addition to BHD-MAN, BHX and EDI.

ClassicLover

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 pm

OA260 wrote:

Exciting! Is shortly after still July or after that?

I'm possibly flying to AMS at the end of July, so I'd buy access if it was open. Any idea of dates?

OA260 wrote:

And apparently BA have no contract with the lounge at the moment, so there is no access for BA passengers.

Allanc1987

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:48 pm

Stobart Air workers face delays in getting wages promised
Staff who transferred to airline’s Belfast base last year fear for redundancy payments

Stobart Air workers face delays in getting wages promised when the airline folded, while staff who transferred to its Belfast base last year fear for their redundancy payments.

Part of the problem is rooted in the fact that Stobart’s UK and Isle of Man subsidiaries have ceased trading but are not in liquidation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4603794

Seems that the moment pilots,cabin crew at and other workers that work for Stobart Air UK at BHD are at moment temporary laid off

nu

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 pm

OA260 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus promo video :

Only for restricted hours. Not sure what they are but certainly not mid afternoon

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:27 pm

nu wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Only for restricted hours. Not sure what they are but certainly not mid afternoon

That would be because there is insufficient flights in the afternoon to justify it opening. Hours are below:

Tuesday: Closed
Wednesday: 8:30-14:30
Thursday: 6:00-16:30
Friday: 8:30-16:15
Saturday, Sunday & Monday: 5:30 - 13:30

OA260

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:50 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Exciting! Is shortly after still July or after that?

I'm possibly flying to AMS at the end of July, so I'd buy access if it was open. Any idea of dates?

The dates are fluid apparently no exact date announced yet. If 19/7 actually happens then it would certainly make sense to open even on a phased basis.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 pm

Aer Lingus have cut back on freq or resumption on many non holiday routes from 19/7 until 15/8.

OA260

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:41 am

www.twitter.com/dublinairport

A fitting send off . Sad to see them go .

OA260

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:47 am

From the archives old footage during delays at SNN Airport :

Passengers delayed in Shannon Airport by an air traffic strike in Britain are philosophical about the disruption to their travel plans.
Passengers travelling to New York, Boston and Miami in the United States of America are delayed in Shannon Airport when an air traffic controllers’ strike in Britain disrupts their flights

www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0601/1225322-s ... ort-delay/

Latest figures from the CSO :

The latest CSO figures show that a total of 85,400 overseas passengers arrived in Ireland in May and 97,000 overseas passenger departed the country.

This compares with 69,400 arrivals and 73,000 departures in April and marked increases of 23% and 32.9% respectively.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1231997/

It will be interesting to see August figures once hopefully restrictions ease then we can see what the real appetite for travel is currently.

iRISH251

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 am

OA260 wrote:
From the archives old footage during delays at SNN Airport :

Passengers delayed in Shannon Airport by an air traffic strike in Britain are philosophical about the disruption to their travel plans.
Passengers travelling to New York, Boston and Miami in the United States of America are delayed in Shannon Airport when an air traffic controllers’ strike in Britain disrupts their flights

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0601/12 ... ort-delay/

A very philosophical lot! The clergyman is Rev Donald Caird, later Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Caird

Eirules

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Guys, quick question on MHQ.

On the govt website it gives one of the exemptions as;
The Minister for Health has by regulation exempted the following additional categories from mandatory hotel quarantine:

a person who has completed a full course of an EMA approved vaccine (further detail below)

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3b8e1 ... quarantine

So, even if coming from a red list country such as UAE or South Africa, if you’re fully vaccinated, there’s no MHQ? Instead you need a negative PCR 72hrs before arrival and you’ve to home quarantine?

Eagleboy

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:58 pm

Eirules wrote:

So, even if coming from a red list country such as UAE or South Africa, if you’re fully vaccinated, there’s no MHQ? Instead you need a negative PCR 72hrs before arrival and you’ve to home quarantine?

Thats it. PCR for arrival, got into home quarantine at declared address. You can take a PCR on day 5, a negative result with release you from home quarantine.

(UK arrivals now need a PCR on day 5 and day 10

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Here is a link to the new thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1462283

Enjoy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos