Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Kent350787
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:36 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
[
Lots of people in Y would rather break their journey in LAX anyway. While the US border is painful in LAX, JFK aint exactly great either.


Do you have any data on the one-stop preference to NYC in Y, especially when that one stop is in LAX? I've never done LAX, but agree that JFK immigration was an interesting introduction to run-down US infrastructure.

One-stop I've chosen Japan to the east coast, and the old connections gave a travel time just over 23 hours SYD-JFK or BOS. BOS is a far nicer entry port than JFK. HKG last trip was done on price and availability (transit was still fine) but took the trip over 26 hours. At least both options avoided US domestic transcon.

I agree that ULH does seem niche, but likely high yield to JFK and LHR.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:38 am

QF moved to AA's T8 prior to covid, which is a 'newer' terminal to the older BA-run T7 that QF had used prior to the move.
 
ben175
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:25 am

Has QF removed the Q400 from MEL entirely? I can't seem to find any routes using the type anymore.
QFLink was hiring for their MEL base last week (Dash 8, not Cobham/NJS) but can't see any room for expansion with the type.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 am

ben175 wrote:
Has QF removed the Q400 from MEL entirely? I can't seem to find any routes using the type anymore.
QFLink was hiring for their MEL base last week (Dash 8, not Cobham/NJS) but can't see any room for expansion with the type.


Yes all Q300 or 717 now
 
a320fan
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:55 am

ben175 wrote:
Has QF removed the Q400 from MEL entirely? I can't seem to find any routes using the type anymore.
QFLink was hiring for their MEL base last week (Dash 8, not Cobham/NJS) but can't see any room for expansion with the type.

Sadly I believe so.
I think some Q400 flights have been up gauged to the 717 such as some flights to Canberra and Launceston. The rest have been downgraded to Q300s, though there has been some adds such as Bernie in Tas and Mt Gambier in SA
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 am

A few weeks ago when I made my first trip to WA, I noticed when coming into T4 after landing, one of VA’s previous A330’s was parked there.
Really scratching my brain here but I believe it might have been VH-XFE; happy to be corrected. Poor old brain was punished on a Margaret River visit. :champagne:

Does anyone know if it’s still parked there or has it moved on?

Thanks.
Cheers,
C1973


B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
A few weeks ago when I made my first trip to WA, I noticed when coming into T4 after landing, one of VA’s previous A330’s was parked there.
Really scratching my brain here but I believe it might have been VH-XFE; happy to be corrected. Poor old brain was punished on a Margaret River visit. :champagne:

Does anyone know if it’s still parked there or has it moved on?

Thanks.


It was still parked there two weeks ago, ill let you know friday if its still there :)
 
a320fan
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:57 am

Rumour going around is XFE suffered some severely damaged landing gear in a hard landing just before Covid hit and VA went into administration. Has basically being abandoned on the airfield with no one wanting to pay fix it at PER, and CASA and Airbus have rejected any ferry flight proposals to a maintenance facility equipped to repair it.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:46 am

[quote="ben175"]Realistically how far off could we be from bubbles with Fiji/New Caledonia etc? Surely they pose no more risk than New Zealand. I would imagine these island nations are keen to open up as soon as possible.

Edit: Had no idea Fiji was even experiencing an outbreak currently. Nevermind![/quo

Ben 175 I am sorry to say but Fiji may have the Indian Strain as the Island nation is struggling to contain this strain. So I think no bubble will be opening up which is a shame My family was meant to be there last year and could not go, even this year but that's not going to happen. I love Fiji and am so wanting to be there again, feel sorry for their people beautiful kind hearted and warm and very welcoming lets hope they can get over this. Not sure about New Caledonia haven't heard much about what's happening there. But at the moment it looks like Fiji is now getting hit hard. Not that us here in Melbourne can go anywhere now a days the Vic Government would shut down the state if some one sneezes the wrong way.
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:55 am

Watched a Melbourne spotting vid on you tube last night, Melbourne 2021 landings, can some one tell me about a 757 freighter that was filmed coming in, Olympis was the name and the Rego started with SX prefix, what airline and from what country was it from and what would it be doing in Melbourne, very very rear to see a 757 into Melbourne.
 
F100Flyer
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 pm

    Flyingsottsman wrote:
    Watched a Melbourne spotting vid on you tube last night, Melbourne 2021 landings, can some one tell me about a 757 freighter that was filmed coming in, Olympis was the name and the Rego started with SX prefix, what airline and from what country was it from and what would it be doing in Melbourne, very very rear to see a 757 into Melbourne.


    It’s a nightly PER-MEL freight rotation. I think it’s Pacific Air Express. Has been happening for a long time now - perhaps a couple of years.
     
    a320fan
    Posts: 929
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 pm

    Olympus is a Greek charter provider with a couple of 757 freighters and A321 pax aircraft. One of their 757s, SX-APX is based in AKL for Airwork and predominantly operates a 5x weekly overnight rotation to Sydney on a FedEx contract. It did operate one daytime rotation to MEL on April 7th, the only deviation from its usual pattern since arriving to AKL in December 2020.
    A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
     
    melpax
    Posts: 2138
    Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:27 pm

    jrfspa320 wrote:

    Lots of people in Y would rather break their journey in LAX anyway. While the US border is painful in LAX, JFK aint exactly great either.


    Though if you're just changing planes in LAX, you also have to go through TSA screening.

    Even if I was flying Y, and my final destination was JFK, I would rather a few extra hours on the plane & only having to clear CPB at my final destination, and not have to go through the additional TSA ordeal in LAX.
     
    User avatar
    CraigAnderson
    Posts: 709
    Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:38 am

    Rex update to ASX forecasts $15m loss, compared to previous break-even forecast. First loss for Rex for a long time, too, I think?

    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apima ... a206a39ff4
     
    VHOGU
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 am

    a320fan wrote:
    Rumour going around is XFE suffered some severely damaged landing gear in a hard landing just before Covid hit and VA went into administration. Has basically being abandoned on the airfield with no one wanting to pay fix it at PER, and CASA and Airbus have rejected any ferry flight proposals to a maintenance facility equipped to repair it.

    I believe it has been returned to the lessor. A strut from the landing gear caused structural damage to the aircraft and it needs to be put in a hangar to be fixed, which PER doesn’t have.
     
    sierrakilo44
    Posts: 588
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 pm

    CraigAnderson wrote:
    Rex update to ASX forecasts $15m loss, compared to previous break-even forecast. First loss for Rex for a long time, too, I think?

    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apima ... a206a39ff4


    Hold on I thought that John Sharp said starting a massive jet expansion during a global pandemic was a brilliant idea, so why are they complaining now that global pandemic has reduced demand? /s
     
    User avatar
    CraigAnderson
    Posts: 709
    Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:27 am

    sierrakilo44 wrote:
    CraigAnderson wrote:
    Rex update to ASX forecasts $15m loss, compared to previous break-even forecast. First loss for Rex for a long time, too, I think?

    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apima ... a206a39ff4


    Hold on I thought that John Sharp said starting a massive jet expansion during a global pandemic was a brilliant idea, so why are they complaining now that global pandemic has reduced demand? /s


    Because they can't blame it on Qantas and Alan Joyce?
     
    Pcoder
    Posts: 174
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:56 am

    https://newsroom.jetstar.com/new-jetsta ... -canberra/

    Jetstar is finally going to serve Canberra after so many years of avoiding it.
     
    RoyalBrunei757
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:03 am

    VHOGU wrote:
    a320fan wrote:
    Rumour going around is XFE suffered some severely damaged landing gear in a hard landing just before Covid hit and VA went into administration. Has basically being abandoned on the airfield with no one wanting to pay fix it at PER, and CASA and Airbus have rejected any ferry flight proposals to a maintenance facility equipped to repair it.

    I believe it has been returned to the lessor. A strut from the landing gear caused structural damage to the aircraft and it needs to be put in a hangar to be fixed, which PER doesn’t have.

    Oh dear, hope someone will take up the bill soon. I saw from flightaware history it did a short circuit around PER before going into storage the same day. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHXFE
     
    jrfspa320
    Posts: 695
    Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:15 am

    Pcoder wrote:
    https://newsroom.jetstar.com/new-jetstar-flights-set-to-take-off-between-brisbane-and-canberra/

    Jetstar is finally going to serve Canberra after so many years of avoiding it.


    Avoiding it as QF doesnt want them on that market, unsurprisingly its not SYD or MEL.

    Plenty of other potential JQ routes that QF doesn't want them on. PER-BME is a prime Jetstar route (even operated using Jetstar layout a lot of the time but charging QF prices)
     
    ben175
    Posts: 848
    Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 am

    jrfspa320 wrote:
    Pcoder wrote:
    https://newsroom.jetstar.com/new-jetstar-flights-set-to-take-off-between-brisbane-and-canberra/

    Jetstar is finally going to serve Canberra after so many years of avoiding it.


    Avoiding it as QF doesnt want them on that market, unsurprisingly its not SYD or MEL.

    Plenty of other potential JQ routes that QF doesn't want them on. PER-BME is a prime Jetstar route (even operated using Jetstar layout a lot of the time but charging QF prices)


    I always thought the same, but the route would probably require a PER crew base to avoid an eastern states based crew enjoying a layover every day at a pricy Broome hotel.

    Apart from BME, DRW and potentially a thrice weekly AYQ, I don’t see much need for a crew base in the West.
     
    jrfspa320
    Posts: 695
    Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 am

    ben175 wrote:
    jrfspa320 wrote:
    Pcoder wrote:
    https://newsroom.jetstar.com/new-jetstar-flights-set-to-take-off-between-brisbane-and-canberra/

    Jetstar is finally going to serve Canberra after so many years of avoiding it.


    Avoiding it as QF doesnt want them on that market, unsurprisingly its not SYD or MEL.

    Plenty of other potential JQ routes that QF doesn't want them on. PER-BME is a prime Jetstar route (even operated using Jetstar layout a lot of the time but charging QF prices)


    I always thought the same, but the route would probably require a PER crew base to avoid an eastern states based crew enjoying a layover every day at a pricy Broome hotel.

    Apart from BME, DRW and potentially a thrice weekly AYQ, I don’t see much need for a crew base in the West.


    Im sure they would operate as a return, arnt the DPS flights normally operated by eastern states crew?
     
    User avatar
    Chipmunk1973
    Posts: 403
    Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:17 am

    I recall quite some time ago, JQ had announced flights to BQB, Busselton in WA. It was to fly from either SYD or MEL about four times a week.
    Having just recently visited the region for the first time, I think such a service would be great thing. Especially if you want to avoid the 3.5 hour drive from Perth.

    Was this cancelled? Or did it not eventuate?
    Cheers,
    C1973


    B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B762, B763, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.
    AN, EK, MI, QF, SB.
     
    freshwater
    Posts: 22
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 10:24 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:46 am

    Flyingsottsman wrote:
    ben175 wrote:
    Realistically how far off could we be from bubbles with Fiji/New Caledonia etc? Surely they pose no more risk than New Zealand. I would imagine these island nations are keen to open up as soon as possible.

    Edit: Had no idea Fiji was even experiencing an outbreak currently. Nevermind![/quo

    Ben 175 I am sorry to say but Fiji may have the Indian Strain as the Island nation is struggling to contain this strain. So I think no bubble will be opening up which is a shame My family was meant to be there last year and could not go, even this year but that's not going to happen. I love Fiji and am so wanting to be there again, feel sorry for their people beautiful kind hearted and warm and very welcoming lets hope they can get over this. Not sure about New Caledonia haven't heard much about what's happening there. But at the moment it looks like Fiji is now getting hit hard. Not that us here in Melbourne can go anywhere now a days the Vic Government would shut down the state if some one sneezes the wrong way.


    Yes it is a very sad situation when so many of their Pacific neighbours are faring much better. I too have many local friends from previous visits who are struggling without the tourist dollar. Easy to forget a lot of this with the little media coverage some of our smaller neighbours are receiving here.
     
    freshwater
    Posts: 22
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 10:24 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:50 am

    Chipmunk1973 wrote:
    I recall quite some time ago, JQ had announced flights to BQB, Busselton in WA. It was to fly from either SYD or MEL about four times a week.
    Having just recently visited the region for the first time, I think such a service would be great thing. Especially if you want to avoid the 3.5 hour drive from Perth.

    Was this cancelled? Or did it not eventuate?


    Currently twice weekly MEL-BSB Friday and Sunday
     
    SYDSpotter
    Posts: 919
    Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:00 am

    CraigAnderson wrote:
    sierrakilo44 wrote:
    CraigAnderson wrote:
    Rex update to ASX forecasts $15m loss, compared to previous break-even forecast. First loss for Rex for a long time, too, I think?

    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apima ... a206a39ff4


    Hold on I thought that John Sharp said starting a massive jet expansion during a global pandemic was a brilliant idea, so why are they complaining now that global pandemic has reduced demand? /s


    Because they can't blame it on Qantas and Alan Joyce?


    Clearly it is QF and VA's fault, I mean how is it fair when competitors are allowed to fly the routes you fly, and its doubly unfair when there are 3 carriers flying 1 route :spin:
    319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
     
    anstar
    Posts: 3377
    Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:09 am

    Chipmunk1973 wrote:
    I recall quite some time ago, JQ had announced flights to BQB, Busselton in WA. It was to fly from either SYD or MEL about four times a week.
    Having just recently visited the region for the first time, I think such a service would be great thing. Especially if you want to avoid the 3.5 hour drive from Perth.

    Was this cancelled? Or did it not eventuate?


    It was due to start around the time COVID happened. Planned to restart late last year but Vic lockdown screwed that. Now MEL-BQB is planned to launch end of this month provided WA border opens.
     
    User avatar
    TheDutchman92
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:05 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:29 pm

    jrfspa320 wrote:
    BNEFlyer wrote:
    jrfspa320 wrote:
    Yesterday's (6 June) QF1003 HBA-PER flight diverted to KGI, eventually arriving into PER over 2 hours late. Anyone know if it was medical related or fuel?

    Weather (fog in PER). Flights from BNE/OOL/SYD/CBR also diverted to KGI.


    Ahh thanks! Would have been interesting to see the ramp at KGI! I see JQ978 diverted to ADL too!

    I see QF653 which had a similar arrival time from SYD (A330) was not diverted and flew straight in (presumably they had more fuel for holding unlike the 737s & A320s?)

    Stab in the dark but maybe also a CAT III autoland trained crew?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    a320fan
    Posts: 929
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 pm

    PER now has CATIIIB capability since mid 2018. With only 2 runways in the country certified to that level it is possible domestic operators haven’t certified their fleets and crews to that level. QFA330s fly (flew) internationally to places like Japan and China where such capabilities would be advantageous more often than domestically so are likely signed off on it.
    A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
     
    User avatar
    eta unknown
    Posts: 3039
    Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm

    The NZ contract with the Australian Govt. for NLK flights has been extended until August 2023. A temporary crew base will be set up in BNE to thwart any travel bubble shutdowns and necessitating another carrier to operate the route, similar to QF running a few flights recently.
    https://traveldaily.com.au/news/air-nz- ... eal/360837
     
    A350OZ
    Posts: 201
    Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

    Just noticed a Volga-Dnepr An-124 landed in CNS this morning, coming in from POM. Does anyone know what it’s doing here and when it will depart again? Thanks in advance.
     
    User avatar
    CraigAnderson
    Posts: 709
    Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:23 am

    Hasn't been reported by any local aviation news outlets yet but Rex has now gots itself a Boeing 737 simulator for training. And it's a proper simulator, not a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator sitting on a PC on John Sharp's desk LOL!
     
    anstar
    Posts: 3377
    Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:20 am

    eta unknown wrote:
    The NZ contract with the Australian Govt. for NLK flights has been extended until August 2023. A temporary crew base will be set up in BNE to thwart any travel bubble shutdowns and necessitating another carrier to operate the route, similar to QF running a few flights recently.
    https://traveldaily.com.au/news/air-nz- ... eal/360837


    I find it strange that an Aus domestic flight is not awarded to one of the Aus carriers.
     
    DavidByrne
    Posts: 1870
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:36 am

    anstar wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    The NZ contract with the Australian Govt. for NLK flights has been extended until August 2023. A temporary crew base will be set up in BNE to thwart any travel bubble shutdowns and necessitating another carrier to operate the route, similar to QF running a few flights recently.
    https://traveldaily.com.au/news/air-nz- ... eal/360837


    I find it strange that an Aus domestic flight is not awarded to one of the Aus carriers.

    It’s the single aviation market - NZ and Aus carriers are on an equal footing.
    This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
     
    soyuz
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:36 pm

    a320fan wrote:
    PER now has CATIIIB capability since mid 2018. With only 2 runways in the country certified to that level it is possible domestic operators haven’t certified their fleets and crews to that level. QFA330s fly (flew) internationally to places like Japan and China where such capabilities would be advantageous more often than domestically so are likely signed off on it.


    What I can’t understand is why they didn’t make BNE’s new runway CAT III? If you’re going to build a brand new runway in a place that does suffer with morning fog albeit occasionally, wouldn’t it make sense to spend the extra cash on CAT III ILS capability? It just seems shortsighted just like every other infrastructure project in Queensland.
     
    User avatar
    eta unknown
    Posts: 3039
    Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:56 pm

    soyuz wrote:
    a320fan wrote:
    PER now has CATIIIB capability since mid 2018. With only 2 runways in the country certified to that level it is possible domestic operators haven’t certified their fleets and crews to that level. QFA330s fly (flew) internationally to places like Japan and China where such capabilities would be advantageous more often than domestically so are likely signed off on it.


    What I can’t understand is why they didn’t make BNE’s new runway CAT III? If you’re going to build a brand new runway in a place that does suffer with morning fog albeit occasionally, wouldn’t it make sense to spend the extra cash on CAT III ILS capability? It just seems shortsighted just like every other infrastructure project in Queensland.


    You mean to say "just like every other infrastructure project in Australia".
    To answer your runway question, the number of weather diversions that BNE Airport must pay for is cheaper than installing CAT III- it's not worth the cost.
     
    zkncj
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:05 pm

    anstar wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    The NZ contract with the Australian Govt. for NLK flights has been extended until August 2023. A temporary crew base will be set up in BNE to thwart any travel bubble shutdowns and necessitating another carrier to operate the route, similar to QF running a few flights recently.
    https://traveldaily.com.au/news/air-nz- ... eal/360837


    I find it strange that an Aus domestic flight is not awarded to one of the Aus carriers.


    I would say it’s likely to have something todo with the a320 being the best fit for the purpose. Both VA/QF’s a320s all live on the West Coast so would be cost prohibitive to use them. JQ has a320s, but then probably isn’t interested in the route / not there target market for passengers.

    The a320 probably proves to be an bit more versatile when cargo size and loads on this route.

    Does NZ still bulk load the a320s to NLK? Using the main holds bulk loaded on an a320 does allow you to take some objects that you have no show getting in the standard cargo door of the 737 or 717.
     
    DavidByrne
    Posts: 1870
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 pm

    zkncj wrote:
    anstar wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    The NZ contract with the Australian Govt. for NLK flights has been extended until August 2023. A temporary crew base will be set up in BNE to thwart any travel bubble shutdowns and necessitating another carrier to operate the route, similar to QF running a few flights recently.
    https://traveldaily.com.au/news/air-nz- ... eal/360837


    I find it strange that an Aus domestic flight is not awarded to one of the Aus carriers.


    I would say it’s likely to have something todo with the a320 being the best fit for the purpose. Both VA/QF’s a320s all live on the West Coast so would be cost prohibitive to use them. JQ has a320s, but then probably isn’t interested in the route / not there target market for passengers.

    The a320 probably proves to be an bit more versatile when cargo size and loads on this route.

    Does NZ still bulk load the a320s to NLK? Using the main holds bulk loaded on an a320 does allow you to take some objects that you have no show getting in the standard cargo door of the 737 or 717.

    I understand it’s a tendered process. NZ put in the tender that the Aus government found most suitable. That’s it.
    This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
     
    anstar
    Posts: 3377
    Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:20 am

    DavidByrne wrote:
    zkncj wrote:
    anstar wrote:

    I find it strange that an Aus domestic flight is not awarded to one of the Aus carriers.


    I would say it’s likely to have something todo with the a320 being the best fit for the purpose. Both VA/QF’s a320s all live on the West Coast so would be cost prohibitive to use them. JQ has a320s, but then probably isn’t interested in the route / not there target market for passengers.

    The a320 probably proves to be an bit more versatile when cargo size and loads on this route.

    Does NZ still bulk load the a320s to NLK? Using the main holds bulk loaded on an a320 does allow you to take some objects that you have no show getting in the standard cargo door of the 737 or 717.

    I understand it’s a tendered process. NZ put in the tender that the Aus government found most suitable. That’s it.


    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.
     
    zkncj
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:34 am

    anstar wrote:
    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.


    I guess you could say the same about HiFly running a343s around domestically on behalf of the ADF?

    These flights are pretty regular, and could probably have been operated by QF with an a330.

    Seems to be cheapest tender wins, often non Australian labour is going to be the cheapest option.

    Last year NZ won the contract to provide an weekly LAX-BNE cargo flight for the Australian Government. Which was operated by an NZ 789. This could of been awarded to QF, and used crew employed in Australia. Seems to be an common theme of not going with Australian Labour.
     
    LTEN11
    Posts: 192
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:50 am

    zkncj wrote:
    anstar wrote:
    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.


    I guess you could say the same about HiFly running a343s around domestically on behalf of the ADF?

    These flights are pretty regular, and could probably have been operated by QF with an a330.

    Seems to be cheapest tender wins, often non Australian labour is going to be the cheapest option.

    Last year NZ won the contract to provide an weekly LAX-BNE cargo flight for the Australian Government. Which was operated by an NZ 789. This could of been awarded to QF, and used crew employed in Australia. Seems to be an common theme of not going with Australian Labour.


    NZ was the cheapest bid for NLK, simple as that. Nothing to do with the 320 being more suitable, if it had been, QF could've pulled one from W.A. while they've been operating the flight whilst NZ was unable.

    The HiFly isn't being used to run ADF personnel around the country, it is used to ferry them to and from the M.E. QF or VA were never going to operate their own aircraft for that purpose and if they had tendered and won, would've most likely chartered an aircraft for the flights. BTW, yes the HiFly does operate domestic sectors, but they are purely to pick up, drop off defence force personnel to and from the M.E.

    At the time that BNE/LAX freight flights were being tendered, QF was in the process of winding down the 787 operation. To have operated with a 787 would've meant keeping qualified crew active. They probably could've done it with a 330, but that would've required a tech stop and the aircraft just wouldn't have been suitable. NZ were keeping their 787's active, so for them it wasn't an operational hassle that it would've been for QF.
     
    DavidByrne
    Posts: 1870
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:25 am

    anstar wrote:
    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.

    But this was the very essence of the single aviation market - that it would be nationality-neutral. You can’t agree a single market on the one hand and then undermine it by making decisions on the basis of nationality. There would quite possibly have been a legal recourse if that was able to be proven.
    This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
     
    soyuz
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 am

    eta unknown wrote:
    soyuz wrote:
    a320fan wrote:
    PER now has CATIIIB capability since mid 2018. With only 2 runways in the country certified to that level it is possible domestic operators haven’t certified their fleets and crews to that level. QFA330s fly (flew) internationally to places like Japan and China where such capabilities would be advantageous more often than domestically so are likely signed off on it.


    What I can’t understand is why they didn’t make BNE’s new runway CAT III? If you’re going to build a brand new runway in a place that does suffer with morning fog albeit occasionally, wouldn’t it make sense to spend the extra cash on CAT III ILS capability? It just seems shortsighted just like every other infrastructure project in Queensland.


    You mean to say "just like every other infrastructure project in Australia".
    To answer your runway question, the number of weather diversions that BNE Airport must pay for is cheaper than installing CAT III- it's not worth the cost.


    Yep, I did mean to say that but thought I’d show some restraint. They didn’t seem to factor in the inconvenience to passengers who do get diverted. However if passenger convenience/comfort ever was top priority, we would all be zipping around in A380s. Nevertheless I wonder if the cost equation would be the same if we look ten or more years into the future with a much higher number of aircraft movements into and out of the airport (that’s why the runway was built in the first place). More landings equals more diversions on a foggy morning.

    As for the Hifly A340s, I’m glad for their presence especially TQZ with its new livery. Despite its “budget Aeroflot” appearance it does add some welcome variety.
     
    User avatar
    RyanairGuru
    Posts: 8669
    Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:58 am

    anstar wrote:
    DavidByrne wrote:
    zkncj wrote:

    I would say it’s likely to have something todo with the a320 being the best fit for the purpose. Both VA/QF’s a320s all live on the West Coast so would be cost prohibitive to use them. JQ has a320s, but then probably isn’t interested in the route / not there target market for passengers.

    The a320 probably proves to be an bit more versatile when cargo size and loads on this route.

    Does NZ still bulk load the a320s to NLK? Using the main holds bulk loaded on an a320 does allow you to take some objects that you have no show getting in the standard cargo door of the 737 or 717.

    I understand it’s a tendered process. NZ put in the tender that the Aus government found most suitable. That’s it.


    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.


    Australia doesn’t have a ‘buy Australia’ policy. If the public service is left to its own devices, the Public Governance, Performance, and Accountability Act requires that the best value tender is selected.

    If the politicians (of either major party) get involved then who knows who suddenly counts for something :box:
    Worked Hard, Flew Right
     
    Toenga
    Posts: 192
    Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:23 am

    RyanairGuru wrote:
    anstar wrote:
    DavidByrne wrote:
    I understand it’s a tendered process. NZ put in the tender that the Aus government found most suitable. That’s it.


    I stand by what said (and yes I know about the AU/NZ common market) - I find it strange it wasn't awarded to one of the AU based carriers and instead it was given to an airline that is majority owned by a foreign government.


    Australia doesn’t have a ‘buy Australia’ policy. If the public service is left to its own devices, the Public Governance, Performance, and Accountability Act requires that the best value tender is selected.

    If the politicians (of either major party) get involved then who knows who suddenly counts for something :box:

    The Common Economic Agreement, CER, between the two countries specifically precludes any form of favouring home based production or provision of services.
    When Australia introduced reduced liquor excise rates for small wineries, NZ wineries fulfilling the criteria had to receive the same benifit for NZ produced wine sold on the Australian market.
     
    User avatar
    eta unknown
    Posts: 3039
    Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:31 am

    With the NLK tender I wonder if Nauru Airlines still submits a bid...
     
    zkncj
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 am

    eta unknown wrote:
    With the NLK tender I wonder if Nauru Airlines still submits a bid...


    Or Alliance now that they have E190’s coming onboard. An E190 would probably allow the service to BNE/SYD to become daily.
     
    Deano969
    Posts: 56
    Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:02 am

    zkncj wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    With the NLK tender I wonder if Nauru Airlines still submits a bid...


    Or Alliance now that they have E190’s coming onboard. An E190 would probably allow the service to BNE/SYD to become daily.


    Daily, doubt it
    But a 190 would have a better load factor on the same schedule.....
     
    smi0006
    Posts: 2612
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 am

    Deano969 wrote:
    zkncj wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    With the NLK tender I wonder if Nauru Airlines still submits a bid...


    Or Alliance now that they have E190’s coming onboard. An E190 would probably allow the service to BNE/SYD to become daily.


    Daily, doubt it
    But a 190 would have a better load factor on the same schedule.....


    I’d imagine cargo is part of the tender not just pax. I’ve seen a NLK service being loaded - literally medical supplies and kitchen sinks.... I suspect a 190 wouldn’t have the volume to handle this either?
     
    zkncj
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

    Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2021

    Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:49 am

    Deano969 wrote:
    zkncj wrote:
    eta unknown wrote:
    With the NLK tender I wonder if Nauru Airlines still submits a bid...


    Or Alliance now that they have E190’s coming onboard. An E190 would probably allow the service to BNE/SYD to become daily.


    Daily, doubt it
    But a 190 would have a better load factor on the same schedule.....


    Does anyone know what the typical pre-covid was on the NZ NLK services pre-covid?

    NZ’s a320’s have 164 Y seats on board, at 5x services an week that’s 820 seats each way.

    In 2016 the location population was approximately 1700 people! 820 weekly seats almost is 50% of there population.

    Popular Searches On Airliners.net

    Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

    Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

    Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

    Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

    Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

    Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

    Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

    Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

    Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

    Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

    Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

    Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

    Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

    Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

    Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos