Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GalaxyFlyer
Topic Author

Ouch—AA at DFW hits light pole

Mon May 31, 2021 11:40 pm

Surprised this hasn’t been picked up here...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1399455292103004160

trnswrld

Re: Ouch—AA at DFW hits light pole

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 am

Yeah that’s not pretty. The amount of stress that wing had to have taken to make the entire plane twist to the left like that must have been pretty extreme. No clue what those pilots were looking at because it certainly wasn’t the area around them.

FlyingElvii

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 am

Murphy’s Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
Thompson’ Corollary to Murphy’s Law:
“Murphy was way too f’in optimistic. Plan for it, dammit!”

arfbool

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:42 am

Poor choice to taxi not on any line. However the video looks sped up to me.

ABpositive

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:07 am

Would those lights posts be designed in a way to minimise damage to the aircrafts in these instances, e.g. a built-in weak point? I have seen car accidents with more damage after hitting posts.

ASFlyer

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:11 am

I wonder if they stayed in the flight deck with the door closed as the passengers were made to deplane.

Q

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:14 am

I checked Google Earth Map. I see the pilot mistook the lineup in the wrong line. It was an edge line to avoid the area on the side. How could the captain missed lineup and not looking yellow/orange line paint? The edge line paint was a similar same color. I am not sure hard to see on Google Map. Go look at the map. I can't believe this happening.

smithbs

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:22 am

ABpositive wrote:
Would those lights posts be designed in a way to minimise damage to the aircrafts in these instances, e.g. a built-in weak point? I have seen car accidents with more damage after hitting posts.

The term you are thinking of is frangible. In airfield infrastructure engineering, frangible means the item must break off in a known manner, such that the aircraft might survive and continue to function. All airfield items such as lighting, poles and towers are supposed to be frangible.

It stems from the old days of incidents where aircraft strayed during takeoff (or balked landing) and had their guts ripped out by very sturdy runway fixtures and made a bad situation much worse. Had such fixtures not had the Earth attached to them but instead had given way in an engineered fashion, the aircraft could have had better chances of surviving.

IADCA

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:32 am

smithbs wrote:
ABpositive wrote:

The term you are thinking of is frangible. In airfield infrastructure engineering, frangible means the item must break off in a known manner, such that the aircraft might survive and continue to function. All airfield items such as lighting, poles and towers are supposed to be frangible.

It stems from the old days of incidents where aircraft strayed during takeoff (or balked landing) and had their guts ripped out by very sturdy runway fixtures and made a bad situation much worse. Had such fixtures not had the Earth attached to them but instead had given way in an engineered fashion, the aircraft could have had better chances of surviving.

It's quite clear from the way the fixture breaks and some closer shots of the aftermath circulating that this fixture was indeed frangible.

arfbool wrote:

Well, yeah, it's sped up. But so what?

arfbool

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:34 am

IADCA wrote:
smithbs wrote:
ABpositive wrote:

It's quite clear from the way the fixture breaks and some closer shots of the aftermath circulating that this fixture was indeed frangible.

arfbool wrote:

It's disingenuous. Makes the pilot look like they were taxiing like a maniac to boot.

Okie

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:44 am

Blimey Captain, she's a looking like Tea and Biscuits with the Chief for supper. :eyepopping:

Okie

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:45 am

IADCA wrote:
smithbs wrote:
ABpositive wrote:

arfbool wrote:

Any light pole is. That is why people dont usually die if they casually skid into a light pole on the side of the road. They are relatively light weight and sway and break off the base easily. That is why you often see a perfectly intact light pole laying on its side in the grass after a car drives into it

IADCA

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:54 am

arfbool wrote:
IADCA wrote:
smithbs wrote:

arfbool wrote:

It's disingenuous. Makes the pilot look like they were taxiing like a maniac to boot.

Fair enough I suppose, but it's so obvious given the walking speed of the guy in the foreground that I think most people would notice it immediately. Maybe I'm wrong.

Max Q

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:56 am

jfklganyc wrote:
IADCA wrote:
smithbs wrote:

arfbool wrote:

Any light pole is. That is why people dont usually die if they casually skid into a light pole on the side of the road. They are relatively light weight and sway and break off the base easily. That is why you often see a perfectly intact light pole laying on its side in the grass after a car drives into it

Anything’s frangible if you hit it hard enough..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

B6JFKH81

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:08 am

Looking at the pictures, it seems that it will need a hidden damage inspection and a slat change. I'm not familiar with the actuators and slat rails on the 737, anyone know if that impact was close to any of those items?
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Spacepope

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:15 am

IADCA wrote:
arfbool wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Fair enough I suppose, but it's so obvious given the walking speed of the guy in the foreground that I think most people would notice it immediately. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think the pilot has bigger fish to fry than whether the Benny Hill video makes him look (more) foolish. I think he’ll be right on that after he finished peeing in a cup.
The last of the famous international playboys

Boeing757rb211

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:20 am

Geez Those pilots look like they're flying / maneuvering that B738 the same way i drive my car when im racing and whatnot ;) lol. Bet my accidents/incidents are A LITTLE cheaper to fix the damages,, not to mention my deductible. i mean Wow.....

LAX772LR

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:25 am

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:34 am

Was it those pilots first time at DFW? How do you do that?

Max Q

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 am

Thats seriously bad damage

Hate to criticize a fellow pilot but what was he or she thinking ?

It’s like they forgot they had wings attached, wasnt even close

You stay on the line
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Alias1024

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:14 am

Max Q wrote:

You stay on the line

As mentioned above it looks like the captain likely mistook the taxiway edge line for centerline. With a little target fixation, target being the centerline in this case, it’s not hard to not even notice the light pole. First officer may have been heads down for any number of reasons, for example changing from ramp to ground frequency, and didn’t realize the captain was on the wrong line.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

hitower3

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:35 am

Dear all,

Duct tape jokes aside, what would be the cost to repair such a damage?

jetmatt777

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:57 am

hitower3 wrote:
Dear all,

Duct tape jokes aside, what would be the cost to repair such a damage?

In the low hundreds of thousands if the damage was only in that immediate impact location and stress wasn’t transmitted deeper into the wing root where it joins the airframe. If the latter happened it could be in the low millions.

Engineering will be involved no matter what. The rule of thumb is add a 0 to the repair price for “airplane”, “00” for multi-engine airplane, 000 for jets, and 0,000 for when engineering is involved.

jetmatt777

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 am

IADCA wrote:
smithbs wrote:
ABpositive wrote:

arfbool wrote:

Would you like your red-light camera video showed to the judge sped up at 300% or played at real time?

So what?

Noshow

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:05 am

This airplane could be a write off with a damage like this.

tjerome

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:07 am

21 year old aircraft... wouldn't be surprised if it's a write off depending on the cost to fix it.

jeffrey0032j

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 am

tjerome wrote:
21 year old aircraft... wouldn't be surprised if it's a write off depending on the cost to fix it.

11 years old, we are in 2021 now, not 2031.

Noshow

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:29 am

It's about the damage not about the age.

ba9216c

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 am

We shouldn't really criticise here. It is a busy time for flight crew. They've only just left the terminal, they've only just started the engines, they'll be busy doing after start check list and setting the aircraft up ready to fly. It is a busy time with lots of distractions and can happen to any professional.

alasizon

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:09 am

Based on where this happened - I wonder if this was a case of mistaking the taxiway edge markings for the centerline. I've never understood why DFW carried the edge markings through into the ramp.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Chemist

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:16 am

Speed tape and some buffing and it should be as good as new!

Atlwarrior

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 am

This just shows, that despite how small we think a task may be, you should treat it as new one each time it is performed.

777luver

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 am

Max Q wrote:

You stay on the line

You hate to criticize but you just did

777luver

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:09 am

As usual some posters are criticizing the pilots without knowing any of the circumstances.

Yeah let's be arm chair pilots. We know exactly what happened. We're professionals. *sarcasm

Noshow

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:43 am

You seem to know more? So it was some technical glitch? Steering locked or similar? Aren't you doing the same thing you criticize?

planecane

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:51 am

And I thought I had a delay for every possible reason on AA on my trip a couple of weeks ago. I guess there's always another possible cause!

2eng2efficient

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:53 am

Noshow wrote:

The cost to repair will be weighed against the remaining value in use of the airframe, which is indeed a function of age, among other factors/alternatives.

planecane

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:56 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
Noshow wrote:

The cost to repair will be weighed against the remaining value in use of the airframe, which is indeed a function of age, among other factors/alternatives.

It's only 11 years old.

Noshow

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:20 am

If the spar is damaged which could very well have happened the damage might be beyond economic repair. I know the damage and repair history of an aircraft that hit a snow wall. Only lightly...

chonetsao

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:35 am

The pilot had a bad day, it happens, although very very very rarely.

From an airport designer point of view, that is why non-circular building (i.e. terminal building and parking bays with straight lines) with minimum obstacle (i.e. light poles close to the terminal building or near or even behind the boarding bridge) as possible is the way to go forward. A design that eliminate any possibility of accident, or a dummy prove design is boring but badly needed to many older or smaller airports. Many modern airports got it right.

Maybe an opportunity to abandon the house shoe design in DFW (although the new spike annex in terminal A and C will drastically change the design, but it does not take away the obstacles).

FluidFlow

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:39 am

Could be worse, they could have dragged the wing along the runway during take off...

Will probably take a few weeks until we know the damage. AA has an abundance of aircraft at the moment, I wonder how fast they will have the structure checked for damage. Might be cheaper to lease a new frame and take everything of value out of this one if there is extensive damage to the structure (wingbox/wing joints).

Polot

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am

777luver wrote:
As usual some posters are criticizing the pilots without knowing any of the circumstances.

Yeah let's be arm chair pilots. We know exactly what happened. We're professionals. *sarcasm

The only two things that could clear the pilots:

1) If there was a brake/hydraulics failure and they did not have control of the aircraft. It’s obvious from the way the plane stopped after hitting the pole that brakes were applied and worked.

2) If the pilot steering suffered a medical event and veered off course. The rather smooth turn (it was a perfect turn, just taken too early) and no media about pilot suffering medical event since suggests there wasn’t one.

There is no other legitimate reason as to why the plane hit the pole (a fixed stationary object) other than someone in the cockpit wasn’t paying attention. It’s not like they were flying-if the pilots had any issue they always had the option to stop the aircraft.

gdg9

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm

This certainly wouldn't be a career ender for the pilot would it? Its a mistake sure, but... ?? Asking as I have no idea. I suppose too it also depends on other factors, history, etc.
@dfwtower

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm

arfbool wrote:

It is sped up. Which makes it even more disgraceful.

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 pm

ABpositive wrote:

Yes. They are frangible, as some of the other photos showed. It snapped at its base as it was designed to do.

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:39 pm

ba9216c wrote:
We shouldn't really criticise here. It is a busy time for flight crew. They've only just left the terminal, they've only just started the engines, they'll be busy doing after start check list and setting the aircraft up ready to fly. It is a busy time with lots of distractions and can happen to any professional.

And yet it usually doesn't...

Because procedures are in place to prevent exactly this. Like "follow the centerline".

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:40 pm

777luver wrote:
Max Q wrote:

You stay on the line

You hate to criticize but you just did

He's qualified to, unlike many posters on this site.

SWADawg

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm

gdg9 wrote:
This certainly wouldn't be a career ender for the pilot would it? Its a mistake sure, but... ?? Asking as I have no idea. I suppose too it also depends on other factors, history, etc.

Not a career ender at all, more embarrassing than anything else. This unfortunately happens from time to time. I’ve nearly lined up on taxiway edge markings thinking I was on the taxiway centerline. The line markings are very similar. What a lot of passengers don’t realize is the taxi from the gate to the runway and back to the gate upon landing is more fraught with danger than the flight itself because of all the obstacles that a wing can come into contact with along with other Aircraft and ground vehicles. It could honestly happen to anyone over the course of a 30 year flying career unfortunately.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm

2eng2efficient wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Please. It's gonna be repaired. Not even close.

Polot

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:43 pm

wjcandee wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Please. It's gonna be repaired. Not even close.

He never said it wouldn’t be. He was correcting the incorrect notion that age has no determination in whether a plane is repaired or not. It most certainly does.