Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tu144d
Topic Author

Rare video of Anacostia river approach RWY 19 DCA

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 pm

Found this online and found that late left turn to final insane since he levels out over the piano keys. This was in a BAE jetstream. Can't imagine if it's even operationally possible (approach speeds, wingspan) trying this on a "tiny" E-175 let alone something as large as a 737/320.

https://youtu.be/bpX_q3DvhK8

SEU

Re: Rare video of Anacostia river approach RWY 19 DCA

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Im not well versed in DCA - is this coming in from the "wrong" way from that famous over the river approach?

IADCA

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
SEU wrote:
Im not well versed in DCA - is this coming in from the "wrong" way from that famous over the river approach?

Not entirely opposite - that'd be coming up the Potomac and then making a complete 180. But more or less yes. The Anacostia (the river he's flying along at the beginning of the video) joins the Potomac (running roughly across the top of the screen at the video's opening, and along the flow of which DCA 1/19 runs) from the opposite shore directly across the river from the airfield. So in order to fly down the Anacostia precisely and land on 19, you'd have to make a sharp right and then more like a 130 degree left to land on 19 while over a river that's not super-wide at that point. He shortcuts it a bit and cuts north across Nationals Park and then Hains Point, so it's more like a 90-95 degree left on this video.

MR27122

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Great Find!

I went to School in DC & flew into DCA very often on Shuttle....never flew that approach!

Not so much the "wrong way" but certainly a very very very different way.

The "boring" approach is over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge w/ Alaxandria VA on the left side.

The River Approach is a lot of swerving & following the Potomac & lining up/stable by Haines Point (I think that's what it's named....the Pentagon is on the right side).

The video approach starts with RFK....and then Nat Stadium etc & I guess the Navy Yard(?) & then out over the Potomac and the steep left turn to land on 19.

QUESTION....I recall seeing commuter planes take off from Runway 15 (thank you Google Maps!!!)....do planes ever land on runway 33???? Can't recall ever seeing that & runway 15 seemed to always be a quick commuter prop take-off in-between landings on the main runway. Again very cool find.

RJNUT

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:21 pm

I once landed on 33 on Midway's Fokker 100 from MDW to DCA. in 1993 We were on a standard approach to 1 and then it seems at the last minute we made a maneuver to swerve over to the 33 approach. and then touchdown with quite a thud!. wasn't quite sure how that transpired, but cool none the less.q

hongming

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:39 pm

MR27122 wrote:

QUESTION....I recall seeing commuter planes take off from Runway 15 (thank you Google Maps!!!)....do planes ever land on runway 33???? Can't recall ever seeing that & runway 15 seemed to always be a quick commuter prop take-off in-between landings on the main runway. Again very cool find.

Yes! 33 landings do happen. Often from circle to land (breaking off the 01 approach), although there are videos of a straight in 33 approach, too.

Here’s when I was on a flight that circle to land 33, it was interesting watching us float a few hundred feet past the 1000ft marker, knowing we have ~3600ft remaining!
https://youtu.be/4WcOFgMZQFE

tu144d
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:04 pm

hongming wrote:
MR27122 wrote:

Yes! 33 landings do happen. Often from circle to land (breaking off the 01 approach), although there are videos of a straight in 33 approach, too.

Here’s when I was on a flight that circle to land 33, it was interesting watching us float a few hundred feet past the 1000ft marker, knowing we have ~3600ft remaining!

Yup. As much as I enjoy going out to Gravelly point when 19 is in use it's more fun watching the 33 landings. Never seen it in person but there's even one video of a US airways 757-200 using doing the circle to land to 33. Came to halt in nothing. But then again the 757 performance wise is something else...

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 pm

The Anacostia stuff was much more prevalent with the turboprop regionals back in the day. It was also fairly common to be vectored in East of the P airspace and then cleared for a 33 visual. One of my more memorable DCA experiences was being given a go around by the tower over the 15 numbers, then being told to “if you’re comfortable with it, maintain 1500 and keep circling right back around, you’re cleared to land 15.”

IADCA

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:36 pm

MR27122 wrote:
Great Find!

The video approach starts with RFK....and then Nat Stadium etc & I guess the Navy Yard(?) & then out over the Potomac and the steep left turn to land on 19.

Navy Yard is before Nats Park on that approach. The marina immediate after Nats Park is James Creek, and then the one further up the side channel opposite East Potomac Park/Hains Point is often just called The Wharf.

Redbellyguppy

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm

It would be hard to make stable approach requirements doing a late turn like that.

tu144d
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:51 pm

As an aside, for small commuter or GA aircraft it would seem much easier with acceptable winds to use the Anacostia visual to land on 22 when 19 is in use for the big guys so as not to interrupt traffic flow given lower approach speeds and not as demanding a turn for final. What's the deal with RWY 4/22. It's got an X on it according to google earth so must be closed. I've read stuff about pending construction. On airnav and wikipedia it appears active. Is this permanent or is there some plan to reactivate it. I swear when I was at DCA hanging out at Terminal A maybe 2 years ago I saw a turboprop depart from 4

MR27122

Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm

hongming wrote:
MR27122 wrote:

THANK YOU!!! That is an epically terrific video!!! I asked 'cause if "all doesn't go according to plan" you're stopping on the George Washington Parkway v. the Potomac!!! Next QUESTION....WHAT ABOUT TAKEOFF'S ON 33 AND/OR LANDING'S ON 15??? I've never seen either, and would think the Pentagon is an "issue". Again, thanks so much for sharing the awesome video!!!

tu144d
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Here's a vid of 15 ops from the pedestrian bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtOkQBhu7k

DL 757 departing 33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTW602DuLfA

and US Airways 757 landing 33 which I alluded to earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLxnGCuwlDs

I, myself in the 3 years I've been spotting at gravelly point only recall seeing 1 departure from 33 and it was a CRJ. It appeared to turn right quickly and then followed the Potomac NW but I'm sure others more familiar can comment on the intricacies of 33 departures. Need to get out to Gravelly point soon. Miss it like heck!

deebee278

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:55 pm

I can only vouch for my B99 and SD330 flying into DCA almost 40 years ago...We flew down the Anacostia a few times but we always landed on RW22. Flying right over the Pentagon on approach to RW15 was commonplace. When I made right seat in the DHC7, we'd land on RW33 to hold short of RW36. Captain's landing only. VREF was a mere 65 knots, full flaps.

As for the (neat) video, the crew must have flown it quite precisely so as not to have gotten 'The Phone Call' after landing. OP, now you've done it...I'm going to have to try it in MS Flight Sim!

tu144d
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:43 pm

deebee278 wrote:
I can only vouch for my B99 and SD330 flying into DCA almost 40 years ago...We flew down the Anacostia a few times but we always landed on RW22. Flying right over the Pentagon on approach to RW15 was commonplace. When I made right seat in the DHC7, we'd land on RW33 to hold short of RW36. Captain's landing only. VREF was a mere 65 knots, full flaps.

As for the (neat) video, the crew must have flown it quite precisely so as not to have gotten 'The Phone Call' after landing. OP, now you've done it...I'm going to have to try it in MS Flight Sim!

LOL. I already tried it doing with a 757-200 with a moderately low landing weight and it was disastrous. On a tangent, since you flew the 330, flew on the Short 360s internally on American Eagle when I lived in Puerto Rico several times and have nothing but fond memories of those flights in the mid 90's before the ATR's replaced them and the Casa 212s. Before I left PR, I recall seeing quite a few of those 360's that may have been previous AE aircraft in Roblex aviation liveries. Good times of smelling Jet-A on the tarmac rather than the yuppie privilege of boarding via jetbridge for a pampered RJ

ryanflyer

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:04 pm

This reminds me of the time we once took off on Runway 1 due to the winds, which I did not know was even possible. Had to make an immediate right turn, one of the steepest I had ever experienced. Just on a little E145 but still neat.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:56 pm

Departures off of 01 at DCA, formerly 36, were common. Haven’t been there a long time, but many 727 take-offs from 36, left up the Potomac. Also, in Citations when DC was a frequent bizjet stop.

MR27122

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:36 am

This just occurred at DCA
https://youtu.be/EnFj5lEXDT0

D L X

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 am

In all my years in and out of DCA, I have never seen that approach. I imagine only GA does that one.

But to answer the questions, landings on 33 happen all the time, especially when there are strong crosswinds. Takeoffs in 33 happen frequently as well, but I’ve never seen one with an aircraft larger than an E175.

MR27122 wrote:
This just occurred at DCA
https://youtu.be/EnFj5lEXDT0

That’s a whoopsie! If you had been at Gravelly Point, that would have looked rather exciting with a plane heading your direction without stopping.

Also, the stuck mic near the end is great. I think he says “wtf were they doing?”

https://twitter.com/dasha_afa/status/14 ... 93890?s=21

phllax

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 pm

When I was at GWU in the mid-90's we would go to Graverly all the time. We would routinely see the Dash 7's, Dash 8's and the 340's use 15 for landing and departing. As for 33, the props would also use it for landing along with DC9's/MD80's, F28's and F100's. I don't recall seeing 737's or larger using it for arrivals.

FlySail2015

Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:12 am

ryanflyer wrote:
This reminds me of the time we once took off on Runway 1 due to the winds, which I did not know was even possible. Had to make an immediate right turn, one of the steepest I had ever experienced. Just on a little E145 but still neat.

Departing on 1 is certainly not uncommon. The vast majority of DCA departures will be on either 1 or 19, obviously dependent on winds.

And I sure hope you didn't make an immediate right turn... because that would've sent you blasting off right over P56, the restricted area that covers the National Mall!! Maybe (hopefully) you meant immediate LEFT turn. The departure off of 1 is essentially the inverse of the arrival to 19: takeoff and immediately start following the Potomac to the northwest. Just like when you land 19, you follow the Potomac to the southeast, and then at the last minute turn right to line up with the runway.

As an airline pilot, I've flown into DCA several times. The arrival to 19 is busy/challenging/fun, and the same goes for the departure off of 1 (although nowadays with RNAV departure procedures, the challenge of this departure is far less eventful than in years past. Yes there's an RNAV approach to 19 as well, but they seem to always assign you the River Visual. Maybe a local controller can shed some light on this). And sometimes if you're really "lucky," you land on 19 and then in your 45mins of ground time, the wind shifts, and you then you depart off 1. Go ahead, ask me what happened on my checkride! Haha!

FlyingElvii

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
The Anacostia stuff was much more prevalent with the turboprop regionals back in the day. It was also fairly common to be vectored in East of the P airspace and then cleared for a 33 visual. One of my more memorable DCA experiences was being given a go around by the tower over the 15 numbers, then being told to “if you’re comfortable with it, maintain 1500 and keep circling right back around, you’re cleared to land 15.”

“Back in the day”, turboprop arrivals could be slotted in between the jet arrivals/ departures using approaches like this. Now, the RJ’s and Private jets use up all the same routes and altitudes.

To site just one example, depending on weather and winds, a jet from SDF or CVG to ORD was often routed Fort Wayne, or even Grand Rapids (sometimes both) for the ORD arrivals, while the low and slow turboprops could often be routed to “Boiler” in Lafayette, then almost direct O’Hare down the shoreline, doing a left or right downwind, that controllers could then call the base turn to slot them in between the bigger aircraft, sometimes arriving significantly earlier than a jet that left at the same time.

It isn’t just fuel burn that makes the turbo more efficient on routes under 500 miles or so, especially in the Northeast.

The same could be said for departures as well, the turbos being able to regularly use the “Low level escape routes” to get out of the busy terminal area, below the departing/arriving bigger traffic.

hiflyeras

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Wow, great video! Reminds me of flying AS's 'milk run' through SE Alaska. Some of those landings are about this crazy but you're dodging eagles and seagulls!

MR27122

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:34 pm

phllax wrote:
When I was at GWU in the mid-90's we would go to Graverly all the time. We would routinely see the Dash 7's, Dash 8's and the 340's use 15 for landing and departing. As for 33, the props would also use it for landing along with DC9's/MD80's, F28's and F100's. I don't recall seeing 737's or larger using it for arrivals.

I attended AU @ the same time u were @ GWU! In all my flights in/out DCA it was always 1/19. I probably have flown DCA-LGA >150 times. My most vivid recollects are 1) The funny Shuttle gates in the old DCA terminal, they were literally 15'-20' from terminal to aircraft door. 2) Spending more time waiting in the runway 1 "penalty box" than actual flight time 3) The hardest landing I ever experienced was on a crystal clear, no wind, mid autumn afternoon into LGA from DCA. Delta 727....we "hit" so hard that ceiling panels fell on pax's & I 3 pax's were taken off plane on via medics on stretcherS. It was a total odd-ball experience 'cause---due to the weather and a very stable/quiet approach---all the pax's were expecting a thump & not a BANG. I love DCA & LGA....and SNA!