Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

AA asks HQ staff to volunteer at DFW

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:40 pm

After cutting numbers of support staff AA is asking for unpaid volunteers who work at HQ to volunteer at DFW. Similarly DL earlier in the spring asked for volunteers to assist in cleaning SkyClubs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cutting-30-s ... 42563.html

PHLspecial

Re: AA asks HQ staff to volunteer at DFW

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:53 pm

Unpaid work, but if I don't do it do I get bad end of year review?

So airliners got 50 billion plus to not layoff workers yet workers got laid off anyway? Granted some did take the retirement package but still to ask for unpaid work volunteers? How does that help anyone?

LCDFlight

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

It does not specify if it is on company time.

If it is on company time, then it is not volunteer work, it is fully paid. It would be an "optional work assignment" to be done during the workday.

Yet the article is trying to imply something that it is a charitable effort. Let's see if the article is accurate, or if it is misinformation.

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm

It’s actually quite common for freight operators like UPS to send their corporate staff out to support the operation in peak time. Salaried professionals earning more than $100K per year helping move boxes is fairly common when it’s peak. It’s not surprising to see passenger carriers do the same

ScottB

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It’s actually quite common for freight operators like UPS to send their corporate staff out to support the operation in peak time. Salaried professionals earning more than $100K per year helping move boxes is fairly common when it’s peak. It’s not surprising to see passenger carriers do the same

Yeah except this isn't really due to peak travel -- it's about not being able to find enough workers at the fast-food-level wages they usually pay their outsourcer for these roles.

Exeiowa

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:38 pm

with all the stories of tight labour markets, not sure many people will feel pressured to have to do this as the earlier case with less worry about employment.

usdcaguy

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:38 pm

The airlines will never pay enough until they're forced to by law. It's ludicrous to send people down to DFW when so many people were let go. Either AA should hire more people on, or HDQ staff should refuse to partake in the festivities.

chonetsao

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Surprisingly no Union representatives coming out to criticise the volunteering plea. AA should employee enough people to satisfy operational needs. Ask employee to help at unforeseen circumstances is one thing. but ask employee to volunteering because of staff planning issue is company's own doing, and should be discouraged.

phlswaflyer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Whew! More ways for Parker, Isom, and Vasu to cut costs and line their own pockets. All that free labor looks great for the stock Ok, cue the condescending comments!

alasizon

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:55 pm

They are asking for employees to step in and help with guiding and assisting passengers through the airport, not covered work at ticket counter/ramp. In past years, the Cust Experience team used to go help in DFW and CLT during peak summer periods, that team now is much smaller and has a lot more work going on compared to previous summers so it makes sense they aren't available.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:59 pm

How are the ground service providers like Swissport and DGS doing? If AA can't find people I can't imagine their outsourced suppliers are in any better shape.
I don't take responsibility at all

dfw88

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:05 pm

HOLD ON everyone! We need to get the facts straight on this one.

While the yahoo article linked here may not specify whether or not this is on company time the internal company memo, publish on Twitter by jonnyc, clearly states that AA is asking employees to come work at the airport during their normally scheduled work time. In other words, support staff are taking time out of their normal day-to-day work and being paid their normal salary. This is not volunteering in the sense of unpaid, outside of work time. It's volunteering in the sense that support staff can opt to spend some of their time helping at the airport instead of in the office.

So enough with the comments of Parker being cheap. In actuality, many of the support staff may be the highest-paid people at the airport :)

Boiler905

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Sounds like a unique opportunity for the HQ staff who have never worked in front-line operations.
Boiler Up

myki

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Nothing to see here, this is not news. It happens all the time, in many companies. Department stores having the CEO jump on a register to help ring up some sales during the Christmas shopping frenzy. That type of thing.

It may be volunteered, but on work time anyway.

PNWaviationNut

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Calls for volunteers to help out at the airports go out all the time. It's not unpaid, they're basically picking up unfilled vacant shifts in leu of their desk job for that one shift. It would be illegal for the company to ask for this as a volunteer unpaid effort. When I was at with US, professional staff would come and help with throwing bags at the ticket counter, working the ticket counter queues, providing direction, pushing wheel chairs, making announcements, etc. during the holidays and similar times. As agents we appreciated it as we were exhausted from the overtime we were taking to try to keep up with the ultra high volume times.

This honestly seems to be a poorly written article to make it seem like they're being underhanded. Now they shouldn't keep themselves understaffed, but we also don't know how many furloughed staff might have been recalled and chose not to come back, and those who have been recalled they likely have to clear background checks, get rebadged by the airport, complete any training that may have expired, etc. that takes time. I'm sure if they chose to just simply let all of those schedules go unfilled, there would be an outcry of how terrible AA is with check in lines out the door of the terminal, passengers missing flights that can't get processed, closed clubs and more.
717, 727-1/2, 737-2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 757-2/3, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, 787-8/9 DC9-3/5, MD80/81/82/88, MD90, F28, F100, A221, A300, A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, A359, A380, L1011-5, D328, DH6, DH7, DH8-1/2/3/4, S340, CRJ-1/2/7/9, E140, E145, E170, E175

NLINK

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:32 pm

Most administrative staff are salaried. Due to the positions they are not limited to 40 hours per week. It comes with corporate life and just part of it. It is not unique to American or just the airlines.

CALMSP

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm

Continental used to do this at IAH for holiday travel, but was a volunteer thing for people to get out and be in the airport, not something related to low staffing.

foxalphazulu

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

This is not news.

During busy times I’ve seen (and been part of) admin staff that assist pax in the terminal. This is usually limited to peak weekends of travel. And most often it’s just to help point people in the right way. The times I’ve had someone genuinely lost and not know where to go is so few that I can count them on one hand.

However, when the first thing you see is staff in corporate colours and willing to help - this adds a lot of points towards the passengers overall experience. Think of us as greeters at Walmart haha.

And as someone mentioned here, for those desk jockeys this is a great way to get out and move - be a part of the operations/ get exposure. We know the real heroes are the airport staff doing this day in and day out - but in my experience it is always appreciated.

What a great initiative!

alohashirts

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 pm

I would assume the majority of the HQ staff is Mon-Fri, with normal working hours. So I’m guessing they want them to “volunteer” after their normal work hours, or on the weekends? Forget that.

Doug Parker should be the first to volunteer if in fact AA is this desperate. Same with Bastian at DL. He should be leading the charge and be the first to stand behind the counters at the SkyClub in ATL handing people their bags of food or he should be cleaning up those SkyClubs himself.

dfw88

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm

alohashirts wrote:
I would assume the majority of the HQ staff is Mon-Fri, with normal working hours. So I’m guessing they want them to “volunteer” after their normal work hours, or on the weekends? Forget that.

Had you read the previous comments or the actual memo you would know that your guess is completely incorrect. AA is asking staff to spend some of their normal working hours (which, as you mentioned, are usually Mon-Fri) at the airport instead of at their desks.

avi8

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
The airlines will never pay enough until they're forced to by law. It's ludicrous to send people down to DFW when so many people were let go. Either AA should hire more people on, or HDQ staff should refuse to partake in the festivities.

Nope. Airlines will up the pay when there’s more demand for a job than people willing to work for that salary.
avi8

Corpsnerd09

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:41 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
How are the ground service providers like Swissport and DGS doing? If AA can't find people I can't imagine their outsourced suppliers are in any better shape.

AA can find plenty of people for the unionized and salaried/professional work (customer service, ramp, mechanics etc), AA DFW just hired 200 agents and 500 rampers with no issues, thousands of applications.

These are the outsourced jobs the union lost years ago, decades even, wheelchair pushers, UM runners, security, cabin cleaning, line organizers and baggage service most recently (yes, baggage service was given up by the union in 2015)... The direct AA union jobs pay living wages and have benefits, the outsourcers don't... Heck some of the outsourced jobs were tip based... Yeah, less than minimum wage. Those outsourcers are struggling and it's affecting AA... These HQ employees are being solicited to VOLUNTEER to do these jobs, but really they're salaried not hourly, it just means no extra salary or bonus for doing it. There's been other incentives at AA to help the contractors as well, like bonuses for referring family and permissions to hire 16 and 17 year olds as summer jobs.

PHLspecial

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:43 pm

avi8 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

Nope. Airlines will up the pay when there’s more demand for a job than people willing to work for that salary.

Why? I thought that one of the big problems that hold airlines back is labor cost. Less cost on labor better for profit correct?

avi8

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:50 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
avi8 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

Why? I thought that one of the big problems that hold airlines back is labor cost. Less cost on labor better for profit correct?

Correct. That’s very true. What I meant is that they will increase the low-wage salaries only if people aren’t willing to work for that pay anymore (better job opportunities elsewhere). Obviously if a law is passed that forces them to do so they will, but will then be forced to cut costs elsewhere.
avi8

UpNAWAy

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Over reacting much A.Net? This is a good idea, being done in lue of your normal work hours and I think it is a huge benefit for support departments to get to know the airport and the daily operations better. As someone that started in reservations, went on to Airport CS and eventually Tech Ops I was shocked how little I really understood the "big picture" after each job change. I have long advocated for a recurring support staff "Shadow or day in their shoes" program as I think its very valuable and makes you better at your regular job.

maverick4002

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:15 pm

dfw88 wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

Had you read the previous comments or the actual memo you would know that your guess is completely incorrect. AA is asking staff to spend some of their normal working hours (which, as you mentioned, are usually Mon-Fri) at the airport instead of at their desks.

But why will I even do this? Then I still need to make time to go back and do my actual job? And I dont want to hear BS about busy times. This is clearly not busy times and the airline just got a bunch of free money.

32andBelow

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:20 pm

Airline employees have to work for the airline at the airport. Say it ain’t so

Not to mention that cross training and interacting with customers is something everyone that works for an airline should be exposed to

dfwjim1

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:17 pm

Sounds like a golden opportunity for the show, "Undercover Boss".