Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

Aer Lingus Relaunches Miami

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:33 pm

Aer Lingus will once again fly to Miami after having discontinued service as a result of COVID. Service will start on December 17th. Schedule loaded online but not bookable yet.

EI 141 DUB 1310-1750 MIA WeFrSu 332
EI 140 MIA 1935-0855+1 DUB WeFrSu 332

It seems like international demand is picking up significantly faster than airlines anticipated. In May 2021, Miami was at approximately 90% of May 2019 numbers, and it will likely exceed June 2019 numbers in June 2021. And looks like many other airports are seeing similar performance.
a.

Phen

Re: Aer Lingus Relaunches Miami

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Interesting that it currently shows 332 - I had expected the 330-200s would not be brought back into service. Perhaps it will yet be reassigned to a 333.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Phen wrote:
Interesting that it currently shows 332 - I had expected the 330-200s would not be brought back into service. Perhaps it will yet be reassigned to a 333.

Actually it just shows "330" in the schedule listing, so you're probably correct that it's a 333.
a.

Galwayman

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Very surprising, had heard this was a very marginal route , probably more suited to an A321XLR once it has the legs ...good luck to EI

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Very surprising, had heard this was a very marginal route , probably more suited to an A321XLR once it has the legs ...good luck to EI

This is a bulk tourist route. The A321LR would be an absolute disaster. They need the A330s capacity for the lower yields.
a.

ElroyJetson

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:16 pm

One thing I think folks are failing to see is that Aer Lingus rejoined OneWorld. As a consequence, the AA Miami hub is now a connection point for Irish travelers to pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean or South America. I think this route has the chance to truly be successful if given enough time.

Ishrion

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:22 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
One thing I think folks are failing to see is that Aer Lingus rejoined OneWorld. As a consequence, the AA Miami hub is now a connection point for Irish travelers to pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean or South America. I think this route has the chance to truly be successful if given enough time.

Aer Lingus hasn’t rejoined Oneworld. They’re now a part of the transatlantic joint venture with AA and other Oneworld European airlines. However, AA and Aer Lingus haven’t established a codeshare yet.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

Miami

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:

Aer Lingus is not apart of OneWorld, at least not yet. They left years ago but there's been rumors of them rejoining.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Galwayman

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

This is a bulk tourist route. The A321LR would be an absolute disaster. They need the A330s capacity for the lower yields.

If they're chasing low value yield they shoud go for Fort Lauderdale and drop MIA :-)

SCQ83

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Dublin and Miami are two of the cities in the world that have profited the most from Brexit (DUB) and Covid (MIA).

It looks like every other tech MNC / FAANG (and increasingly finance companies) that previously had open positions in London are now moving to Dublin because of Brexit (and their inability to hire EU citizens in the UK).

And it also looks like a lot of people has moved temporarily or permanently to South Florida from California or New York.

I wouldn't be shocked that DUB-MIA is increasingly becoming more "upmarket" and even business oriented.

ElroyJetson

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm

Ishrion wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

Aer Lingus hasn’t rejoined Oneworld. They’re now a part of the transatlantic joint venture with AA and other Oneworld European airlines. However, AA and Aer Lingus haven’t established a codeshare yet.

According to DOT the application for Aer Lingus to rejoin Oneworld was approved last December (see link). Are you saying this has since changed?

https://simpleflying.com/dot-aer-lingus-joint-venture/

Also, American Airlines announced the partnership and said Aer Lingus can now connect to over 200 cities in AA's network, which was my initial point. Again, if this information is no longer true please correct.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlin ... rship.html

Polot

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

According to DOT the application for Aer Lingus to rejoin Oneworld was approved last December (see link). Are you saying this has since changed?

Also, American Airlines announced the partnership and said Aer Lingus can now connect to over 200 cities in AA's network, which was my initial point. Again, if this information is no longer true please correct.

That is about joining the transatlantic joint venture, which is different than joining Oneworld. Although in terms of AA/EI relationship not really not much of a difference.

elewis

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Dublin and Miami are two of the cities in the world that have profited the most from Brexit (DUB) and Covid (MIA).

It looks like every other tech MNC / FAANG (and increasingly finance companies) that previously had open positions in London are now moving to Dublin because of Brexit (and their inability to hire EU citizens in the UK).

And it also looks like a lot of people has moved temporarily or permanently to South Florida from California or New York.

I wouldn't be shocked that DUB-MIA is increasingly becoming more "upmarket" and even business oriented.
Exactly a lot of tech/finance companies are starting to discover Miami and either relocate or open offices there.

This is actually my first post on this board so I’m excited to join the community.

Ishrion

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

That's typically called the Oneworld joint venture or "Oneworld Immunized Alliance" but Aer Lingus isn't actually a Oneworld member as of now. They're a part of the joint venture with several other Oneworld members. So, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to call it that for now.

Technically, Aer Lingus customers can't seamlessly connect through AA's flights because EI and AA are not codesharing with each other right now. They "will" be able to connect in the future per AA's official press release: https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx

The addition of Aer Lingus’ Dublin hub and its complementary network will significantly enhance customers’ travel options and add new European destinations not currently served by any other trans-Atlantic joint business. Aer Lingus’ customers will also obtain access to more than 200 new US destinations via the AJB network.

If I'm not mistaken, they have the ability to implement codeshares and begin selling codeshare flights whenever they want.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Anybody have CASM comparison between an EI A330-300 and the 321LR? Anybody want to hazard what dumping an extra 130 seats per flight does to avg fares?

ElroyJetson

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 pm

Ishrion wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

That's typically called the Oneworld joint venture or "Oneworld Immunized Alliance" but Aer Lingus isn't actually a Oneworld member as of now. They're a part of the joint venture with several other Oneworld members. So, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to call it that for now.

Technically, Aer Lingus customers can't seamlessly connect through AA's flights because EI and AA are not codesharing with each other right now. They "will" be able to connect in the future per AA's official press release: https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx

The addition of Aer Lingus’ Dublin hub and its complementary network will significantly enhance customers’ travel options and add new European destinations not currently served by any other trans-Atlantic joint business. Aer Lingus’ customers will also obtain access to more than 200 new US destinations via the AJB network.

If I'm not mistaken, they have the ability to implement codeshares and begin selling codeshare flights whenever they want.

Thank you for the clarification.

onwFan

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:25 am

Polot wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

That is about joining the transatlantic joint venture, which is different than joining Oneworld. Although in terms of AA/EI relationship not really not much of a difference.

Actually for all practical purposes from the point of view a traveler, there is really no AA/EI relationship either, is there? Neither do they have a codeshare nor a FF relationship. There has been no development of a partnership for a long time - not sure why it should take so long...

ContinentalEWR

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 am

Galwayman wrote:

If EI and AA were to ever cooperate through OW, surprisingly they don't seem to, the route would be less marginal.

shamrock321

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 am

The new flight timings are much better for allowing connections onto AA to Central America, the previous timings of this flight weren’t great even for connections at the opposite end at DUB.

anstar

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:21 am

Interestingly targeting routes that VS fly.

Detroit313

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:04 pm

So how could Aer Lingus be part of the joint venture but don't have a relationship with AA? I'm confused with what I'm reading.

shamrock350

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:41 pm

anstar wrote:
Interestingly targeting routes that VS fly.

VS doesn’t operate DUB-MIA and never has. If you’re referring to the upcoming MAN operation by Aer Lingus though, you’d be correct as they’ve launched JFK, MCO and BGI which are VS routes.

Detroit313 wrote:
So how could Aer Lingus be part of the joint venture but don't have a relationship with AA? I'm confused with what I'm reading.

Essentially Aer Lingus have been approved to join the transatlantic joint venture but have yet to implement or initiate a working relationship ie. code sharing, joint marketing and route consolidation.

Galwayman

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Anybody have CASM comparison between an EI A330-300 and the 321LR? Anybody want to hazard what dumping an extra 130 seats per flight does to avg fares?

There was something in a press a while back EI saying the 321LR CASM equals the A330 CASM - will post it if I can find it ..

ClassicLover

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:24 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Essentially Aer Lingus have been approved to join the transatlantic joint venture but have yet to implement or initiate a working relationship ie. code sharing, joint marketing and route consolidation.

They have been dragging their feet on this since IAG bought them.

I'll be doing cartwheels the day I see BA, AA and AY flights easily bookable on the EI website as choices over the EI services.

I really enjoy having the options when I am booking on BA across the Atlantic. Usually I will see all the AA services, even direct ones, and sometimes flights via HEL as well on AY, not to mention IB too. It gives plenty of choice.

Will we ever see the day with Aer Lingus? Who knows.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

GordonCC

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:06 pm

I'd like to see Aer Lingus strengthen their relationship with United Airlines...that would seem to be a good fit. Though, maybe unlikely on account of IAG.

tonystan

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:52 pm

This seems to stem from a contingency plan for a relaunch of longhaul travel from July onwards with a gradual increase of flights. The plan was to have IAD back in operation JFK & BOS operating at double daily schedules from August, SFO & EWR to recommence in September, MCO in October and a “winter only” MIA service to commence in December. LAX, SEA, PHL, BDL and the SNN-JFK/BOS all suspended until at least summer 2022.

However, for those of you not familiar with the current situation in Ireland and our governments rather complacent approach towards opening the borders and supporting the aviation industry, you need to treat the above as all just guess work at the moment. What Aer Lingus may have loaded into the system now could be very very different come December….heck it could be very very different in a couple of weeks time. And the G7 summit with its similarly complacent approach to reopening transatlantic travel before August suggests to me that any recovery will be very very slow.

But it will recover of that I have no doubt.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

jfk777

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 am

Too bad Miami is not year round, many European airlines are all year.

onwFan

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 am

GordonCC wrote:
I'd like to see Aer Lingus strengthen their relationship with United Airlines...that would seem to be a good fit. Though, maybe unlikely on account of IAG.

?? It is not just IAG. They just joined the TATL JV with AA. So the question is more like when is the relationship with UA coming to an end.

Miami

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:12 am

jfk777 wrote:

It’s always been year round.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

tonystan

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 am

Miami wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

The current plan by EI is Winter Season only it would appear.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Miami

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

tonystan wrote:
Miami wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

The current plan by EI is Winter Season only it would appear.

Is the timetable out?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos