Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546

Re: Spirit to Launch MIA with 30 Routes

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:37 am

RCS763AV wrote:
santi319 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:
Wow!!!! An airline lauches a station with 28 daily flights from the start. Very very ambitious specially with their largest base serving the same market.

Speaking of Colombia (NK's largest international market at least by No. of destinaitons) it seems they don't want the local LCCs to expand into MIA (Viva already there and Wingo expanding aggresively internationally), nor DL or F9 to start any routes.

The country is poised for a soid economic recovery this year and next but after the vaccine frenzy ends, will there be enough demand to sustain these flights to FLL and MIA? Please remember that Colombia's tree main internaitonal airports also have two and even three carriers fying to FLL!

BOG (NK, B6, AV)
MDE (NK, B6)
CTG (NK, B6)

Certainly NK is fighting tooth and nail to keep any competition at bay in South Florida!

Spirit is a hit in Colombia, they fly to more cities there than AA and B6 and just behind Avianca.

Not even! Avianca flies from four cities in Colombia to the US (BOG, MDE, CLO, BAQ). Spirit flies from seven! (BOG, MDE, CLO, BAQ, CTG, BGA, AXM)

Curious to see if Spirit adds BGA/AXM-MIA soon enough. Maybe up each to daily and split it between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Non-BOG Colombia to U.S. is booming. AA keeps adding frequencies to CLO, MDE, PEI, etc. AV even adding MIA-CUC later this year.
a.

Ishrion

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 am

777Mech wrote:
I'm very interested in AA's response to this, and that's if they even have the means to.

Adding MIA-MYR/BGA, FLL-AUS/LAS/LGA/RDU/BNA/BDL/IND/CLO/BOG/MDE :stirthepot:

Didn't AA used to have a few P2P routes out of FLL? They've re-added FLL-PAP (suspended for June though?) and FLL-BOS if we're counting that as P2P.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:03 am

Ishrion wrote:
777Mech wrote:
I'm very interested in AA's response to this, and that's if they even have the means to.

Sure, that will work great - go chase the customers of the low yield airline with your high cost airline. One might hope AA Rev Mgmt has some better route ideas than that.

jfk777

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:10 am

Where is Spirit going to park all these international flights , there are only so many gates at concourse F for FIS.

Another factor is will Spirit or JetBlue merge with a bigger entity?

We are currently in a state of too many LCC airlines, it dinner to go eat or be eaten ?

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:11 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Sure, that will work great - go chase the customers of the low yield airline with your high cost airline. One might hope AA Rev Mgmt has some better route ideas than that.

Wouldn't you call this short term pain for long term gain -- at least in AA's eyes.

MrPeanut

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:12 am

Yields at MIA are gonna take a tumble. More financial pressure on AA, this time at MIA.

jplatts

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 am

I remember NK saying a few years ago that it was considering adding service to MIA, even with the significant presence that NK already had at FLL.

Wneast

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:32 am

isp2 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Who you thinking they will merge with

F9. They are a lost cause at this point and NK would be better off buying them up to create an airline that could challenge WN.

How is NK buying F9 when F9's market cap is double NK's after going public a few months ago?

Either way one buy each other or WN buys F9 for there gates

elewis

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:46 am

maps4ltd wrote:
MIA has really hit the jackpot this year. Congrats to them. That said, some of their facilities are quite dated (especially F and G). We'll see what happens on that front.
They approved about $5 billion in phased improvements like two years ago I believe.

Due to the pandemic some of those plans were put on hold temporarily until traffic recovers. Some were shifted and work started immediately.

flymia

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:01 am

jfk777 wrote:
Where is Spirit going to park all these international flights , there are only so many gates at concourse F for FIS.

Another factor is will Spirit or JetBlue merge with a bigger entity?

We are currently in a state of too many LCC airlines, it dinner to go eat or be eaten ?

Let the market determine that. I don't think three "true" LLCC is too many, NK, G4, and F9 and then more mid-grade LLC like WN and B6 is too many. With two new entrants of Breeze and Avelo. If we go back to how many airlines there were 10-15 years ago the market is far from being saturated.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Someone83

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 am

How many aircraft is this equal to?

eastalt

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:22 am

This is not such a big surprise to me. American Airlines made the decision to compete with NK when it introduced Basic Economy Fares out of Miami. American then eliminated all the restriction on these fares and added wide body jets to some domestic markets such as JFK. LAS and drew passengers away from Sprit. Spirit has now retaliated with service out of Miami. Spirit might have a chance in this fight. If Spirit can perform better than AA in Miami after 5pm, they will win hands down. AA performance out of Miami in the evening is a logistical nightmare.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:59 am

This is a bold move by Spirit but I think people are overestimating it's effects upon AA. At least domestically, AA/MIA has been matching FLL fares for years so this really won't make that much of a difference IMHO.

SWADawg

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 am

I’m going to say that this announcement from Spirit is a direct reaction to WN opening MIA. I think they are now worried that WN will make the MIA operation bigger than their operation at FLL and pull leisure traffic that had been flying Spirit out of FLL down the road to MIA. If WN decided to turn MIA into the next DEN, that would be very bad for both NK and B6 up the road at FLL. B6 has a quasi Codeshare with AA but NK is completely on their own and if WN was able to acquire enough real estate at MIA to keep a competitor like NK out, I think they knew that they would lose market share in their most important geographic area of S. Florida. This seems more like a desperation move by Spirit to defend their market share than putting pressure on AA.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:20 pm

SWADawg wrote:
If WN decided to turn MIA into the next DEN...

We've got somebody upthread wondering how NK will be able to run even 30 flights/day, and now you're positing that 50 gates are just going to fall from the sky. Yeah, right.

WN can't turn MIA into DEN-sized operation - it doesn't have the ops, the foreign-market chops, nor the long-haul aircraft to have a substantial overlay of AA the way it does in DEN with UA. Look at all of the passengers to AA destinations out of MIA that WN doesn't serve at all.

Sdmccray1984

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 pm

I call foul! I live in Charlotte (CLT) and we STILL have only ONE airline connecting CLT and MIA. Look at all the cities who have 3 to 5 airlines connecting them with MIA, yet the fifth busiest airport east of the Mississippi River only has ONE? I travel the world regularly and I frequent Miami, but AA abuses us financially on this route. Sometimes the airline industry has me scratching my head...

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Most stick their toe in the pool…. Spirit just cannonballed!!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

AvgWhiteGuy

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:23 pm

This airline & those passengers - get your cameras ready. :roll:

SWADawg

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

We've got somebody upthread wondering how NK will be able to run even 30 flights/day, and now you're positing that 50 gates are just going to fall from the sky. Yeah, right.

WN can't turn MIA into DEN-sized operation - it doesn't have the ops, the foreign-market chops, nor the long-haul aircraft to have a substantial overlay of AA the way it does in DEN with UA. Look at all of the passengers to AA destinations out of MIA that WN doesn't serve at all.

They don’t have to. They have enough range with the MAX to hit quite a few of the most popular LA routes out of MIA. Domestically, WN can do a lot of damage out of MIA.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

BA744PHX

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm

AvgWhiteGuy wrote:
This airline & those passengers - get your cameras ready. :roll:

I was thinking the same LOL

a320flyer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
I call foul! I live in Charlotte (CLT) and we STILL have only ONE airline connecting CLT and MIA. Look at all the cities who have 3 to 5 airlines connecting them with MIA, yet the fifth busiest airport east of the Mississippi River only has ONE? I travel the world regularly and I frequent Miami, but AA abuses us financially on this route. Sometimes the airline industry has me scratching my head...

That's what happens when you have a legacy hub in a midsize market. AA would force out anyone (especially an ULCC) who tried a route out of CLT.

luv2cattlecall

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:02 pm

30 flights is about what it takes to fill up a large cruise ship, and there are a few new ones coming to the area - and I think one of the Oasis class ones is moving from FLL to MIA as well. I'm guessing that will help a bit to fill up aircraft, and generate good bag fees as well.

Anecdotally, NK flights to/from FLL have more full size carry-ons and bags at the carousel than F9 with Denver. I'm seeing more and more F9 travelers with large backpacks and such, and in general they're really lax about size enforcement.

jco613

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:17 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
Wow, BDL-MIA went from a once daily 738 to MIA on AA during the pandemic to 3x daily on AA, one each by B6/F9/NK.

It was 1X daily on AA long before that. With the worst possible times too!

Boiler905

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Wow wow wow, 30 routes!? This is huge!

So many questions: Will NK reduce their FLL schedule at all to coincide with the increase in seats from MIA? Will FLL be used more for connections? Do airlines now consider FLL/MIA two entirely separate markets?

MIflyer12 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Many ppl on here are saying this is an attack on AA, and you finally mention WN. I think this "attack" by NK is on multiple fronts: WN, F9, AA/B6.

I think WN is what tipped the scale over the edge in MIA, since F9 was already there but growing rapidly with more routes announced and starting later this year.

WN is invested too much in FLL already to turn MIA in to the next DEN. I think WN's goal in MIA is to serve MIA as a top destination from its other significant origins (DEN, MDW, BWI, DAL, etc).

Lastly, the AA hub in MIA isn't going anywhere with this announcement. Only the likes of another legacy carrier would threaten it.
Boiler Up

RCS763AV

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:27 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Spirit is a hit in Colombia, they fly to more cities there than AA and B6 and just behind Avianca.

Not even! Avianca flies from four cities in Colombia to the US (BOG, MDE, CLO, BAQ). Spirit flies from seven! (BOG, MDE, CLO, BAQ, CTG, BGA, AXM)

Curious to see if Spirit adds BGA/AXM-MIA soon enough. Maybe up each to daily and split it between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Non-BOG Colombia to U.S. is booming. AA keeps adding frequencies to CLO, MDE, PEI, etc. AV even adding MIA-CUC later this year.

All of Colombia to the US is booming. AA and DL are operating widebodies from all their destinations to BOG too, BOG-DFW used to be flown on a 75% full A319 and is now on the 77E filled up to the brim on trash fares with people getting vaccinations in Dallas. The stage length of US-Colombia is perfect to keep the WBs flying short rotations while Europe and Asia open up, filling them with dumping-level fares only viable due to the american government's special pandemic labor subsidies. It's a winner for US carriers.

Although the local carriers have seen some surges in traffic, they're the big losers here as they have had to match their fares with US careers (AV is offering US$229 round trips on BOG-JFK) but must actually be losing money. This is also why their capacity increases have been more cautious.

About NK launching MIA-BGA/AXM, it sounds interesting. They could lock up the BGA market which is small but could easily have AA on a daily A319 to MIA if subsidized enough, but not AA and NK (IMO). AXM has competition from AA daily to PEI which is 1 hr away, but they could try and give AA a hard time.

Again, I don't know if all of this capacity to Colombia will be sustainable once the vaccine tourism wave ends and/or the subsidies form the US government run out. Last minute fares on Colombia-MIA at 300USD round-trip is not sustainable pricing.

TWA302

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:43 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
No STL or MCI. Odd. Maybe more SoFLA traffic skews towards FLL?

I agree with you. Would be a great add given all the new routes NK has from STL, especially since WN has MIA now.

TyroneShoes

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:53 pm

shadez wrote:
They say they plan to keep FLL operations as is...we'll see.

Atlantic City (ACY) Daily
Atlanta (ATL) Daily
Baltimore (BWI) Daily
Bogota (BOG) Daily
Guatemala City (GUA) 4x per week
Medellin (MDE) Daily
Newark (EWR) Daily Oct. 6
Port-au-Prince (PAP) Daily
Santo Domingo (SDQ) Daily
San Salvador (SAL) 3x per week
Barranquilla (BAQ) Daily
Boston (BOS) Daily
Cali (CLO) Daily
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) Daily
Cleveland (CLE) Daily
Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) Daily
Denver (DEN) Daily
Detroit (DTW) Daily
Hartford-Bradley (BDL) Daily
Houston Intercontinental (IAH) Daily
Las Vegas (LAS) Daily
Myrtle Beach (MYR) Daily
New York LaGuardia (LGA) 2x daily
Orlando (MCO) Daily
Philadelphia (PHL) Daily
Raleigh-Durham (RDU) Daily
San Pedro Sula (SAP) Daily
San José, C.R. (SJO) 4x per week
San Juan (SJU) Daily
St. Thomas (STT) 3x per week

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-ai ... B34744363C

Just a quick note from Austin.....American, Southwest and Frontier fly to Miami. Frontier does fly from the South Terminal and that leaves Southwest and American to fight it out head to head

kickazzz2000

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:

I had the same thought. On top of that, WN or B6 don't fly to FLL from CLT, making caribbean and SA connections impossible.

lat41

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:19 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
Wow, BDL-MIA went from a once daily 738 to MIA on AA during the pandemic to 3x daily on AA, one each by B6/F9/NK.

A buyers market as fares will tumble initially. We will see if the MIA capacity puts the kabosh on AA's CLT connecting traffic, and if one of the carriers will at some point, quit the route.

cledaybuck

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:

That's the disadvantage of living in a fortress hub city. Of course, you also have access to tons of routes that wouldn't be there without the hub, so you win some you lose some.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jbpdx

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:42 pm

kickazzz2000 wrote:
Sdmccray1984 wrote:

I had the same thought. On top of that, WN or B6 don't fly to FLL from CLT, making caribbean and SA connections impossible.

Portland only recently got nonstops to FLL, currently on JetBlue and Alaska resuming in November. Also, with their new relationship with American, I don't see Alaska re-entering MIA.
^PDX’s one-hit wonders: NK, SY, F9

Miami

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:43 pm

jbpdx wrote:
kickazzz2000 wrote:
Sdmccray1984 wrote:

I don't see Alaska re-entering MIA.

They have plans to re-enter MIA sometime in the near future.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

lightsaber

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Please start a new topic for LCC/ULCC mergers. Those are off topic to this thread.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Brandon757

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Love seeing more options out of DFW on birds other than AA.

casinterest

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm

With full fare flyers down( business) it does seem that the battle for markets is going to be interesting this year. I wonder how much of this will survive through the next year., Will Business travel and international travel recover enough to help UA/DL/AA battle all the LCC in the leisure market?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

usdcaguy

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 pm

One option AA has is filing fares using Day/Time restrictions that price around the 1 flight NK will have per day to most of these places. AA will likely still have a schedule advantage to MIA, and they need to milk it for all it’s worth.

DL isn’t really in the game here. I expected them to come back strong in MIA after COVID by adding more markets, but it appears they’re waiting for DL/LA JV approval from the DOT before doing so. They’ll still be under pressure in MIA from low fares over ATL, but their exposure will be limited and they’ll get more lucrative business elsewhere.

WDBRR

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:32 pm

This reminds me of the huge overnight expansion of Braniff International in the late 70’s due to deregulation. They bit off more than they could chew and was a direct competitor to American. I wish Spirit luck but they might have a bloody fight with the 800 pound gorilla at Miami.

ScottB

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 pm

WDBRR wrote:
This reminds me of the huge overnight expansion of Braniff International in the late 70’s due to deregulation. They bit off more than they could chew and was a direct competitor to American. I wish Spirit luck but they might have a bloody fight with the 800 pound gorilla at Miami.

Except the 800 lb gorilla at MIA has finances more like Braniff.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Please post on topic.

Several topics are being used to bash airlines or aircraft not part of the topic. That is flamebait. This is your warning.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

TWFlyGuy

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
One option AA has is filing fares using Day/Time restrictions that price around the 1 flight NK will have per day to most of these places. AA will likely still have a schedule advantage to MIA, and they need to milk it for all it’s worth.

In addition, with excess widebody capacity AA could, to some degree, leverage that capacity to directly compete with the limited Spirit schedule in certain, clearly not all, markets to impair Spirit's ability to make inroads here.

ZazuPIT

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

In addition, with excess widebody capacity AA could, to some degree, leverage that capacity to directly compete with the limited Spirit schedule in certain, clearly not all, markets to impair Spirit's ability to make inroads here.

I agree. With NK only having a max of 1x daily on all these routes except LGA, AA could flex their muscles and make Spirit suffer a little. I'll be interested to see how many of these 30 routes are around a year from now.

uconn99

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:23 pm

jco613 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Correct, this is the most lift BDL-MIA has seen since AA flew 2x daily briefly in the early to mid 2000's with a 757 and 738.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Despite what a few loud a.net members scream, I think spirit is the perfect carrier to thrive in miami. The high end premium customer is a very very very small percentage of flyers. The ULCC will thrive in miami. AA has long had an almost fortress hub but that doesn't mean they can stop them. I think it's a very price sensitive market and we will see alot of flyers flock to spirit.

It's a huge metro area , I don't think this means anything for FLL. It's like JetBlue pretty much focusing on the northeast , spirit is making Florida a focus.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:58 pm

WDBRR wrote:

Are you living in 2021? I don't think sprit is even remotely scared of AA.

Spirit is in a fantastic position financially and their model is thriving right now. AA has alot of expensive long haul planes and business routes that are going to be slow to come back. Not good news for AA, but I am sure they realize spirit can easily elbow in with low fares on these routes. They have done this so many times now on legacy heavy o&d routes. They don't plan to kick aa off anything spirit is just gonna elbow in and also serve them. They see some low hanging fruit on routes they can pack the planes. Customers will win here even if you fly AA your last minute fares on these N/S routes is probably about to plummet.

CairnterriAIR

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 pm

uconn99 wrote:
jco613 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Correct, this is the most lift BDL-MIA has seen since AA flew 2x daily briefly in the early to mid 2000's with a 757 and 738.

You are correct. AA has operated one...occasionally two flights a day for years. Going back many years Eastern flew flight #181 to Miami without competition with a 727, but occasionally using an L-1011! BDL has been chronically underserved for years...glad to see more service.

ABEguy

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:15 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
WDBRR wrote:

Are you living in 2021? I don't think sprit is even remotely scared of AA.

Spirit is in a fantastic position financially and their model is thriving right now. AA has alot of expensive long haul planes and business routes that are going to be slow to come back. Not good news for AA, but I am sure they realize spirit can easily elbow in with low fares on these routes. They have done this so many times now on legacy heavy o&d routes. They don't plan to kick aa off anything spirit is just gonna elbow in and also serve them. They see some low hanging fruit on routes they can pack the planes. Customers will win here even if you fly AA your last minute fares on these N/S routes is probably about to plummet.

Agreed that there’s room for a Spirit in MIA. I don’t know what you mean that they’re in a fantastic position financially though. Are you saying they made money through COVID while everyone else lost? What people seem to be missing is that AA’s capacity to Colombia is double today what it was in 2019. That’s right, double! Avianca, LATAM, and other are struggling in a big way right now and the US carriers are looking to capitalize. There’s definitely room for a new entrant for MIA > South America right now. Will AA make it as uncomfortable as possible? Of course. People are underestimating how lean AA is these days. This isn’t 2002. All the legacies have adapted to fierce competition. Even SWA already dropped MIA-TPA.

sunking737

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:45 pm

If NK is adding all these routes from MIA, what cities are losing service, or cut back. ??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

OzarkD9S

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 pm

TWA302 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

No STL or MCI. Odd. Maybe more SoFLA traffic skews towards FLL?

I agree with you. Would be a great add given all the new routes NK has from STL, especially since WN has MIA now.

NK is not scheduling MIA for connections but some will be possible unless ALL the southbound flights leave in the early morning. And returns could always go through FLL or MCO if need be. I think STL and MCI may see some NK love from MIA over time.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 pm

sunking737 wrote:
If NK is adding all these routes from MIA, what cities are losing service, or cut back. ??

None should be for the most part. Spirit is getting more aircraft delivered this fall and they stated that the FLL operation won’t be cut to support this growth.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:56 pm

sunking737 wrote:

Cranky has some insight here:

https://crankyflier.com/2021/06/09/spir ... red-costs/
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos