Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Update: Stobart Air ceases operations, appoint liquidator

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:30 am

It appears the end may be in sight for Stobart Air who operate on behalf of Aer Lingus as EI Regional. They have cancelled all flights today. According to Twitter sources the airline has appointed a liquidator.

They were due to lose the EI contract next year, and a proposed sale fell through due to financing issues.

This leaves EI without connections to a lot of the UK.

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/14 ... 60320?s=20

bmibaby737

Re: Stobart Air cancel all flights

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:34 am

seansasLCY wrote:
It appears the end may be in sight for Stobart Air who operate on behalf of Aer Lingus as EI Regional. They have cancelled all flights today. According to Twitter sources the airline has appointed a liquidator.

They were due to lose the EI contract next year, and a proposed sale fell through due to financing issues.

It's a shame that kid never writes a source for his information; just stealing information all the time and never recognising where it come from.

Sad news for Stobart Air but not unexpected; huge losses with even greater liabilities, and a wet lease contract that expires next year. Sad for all the crew and staff.

kaitak

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 am

I understand that EI cancelled the contract with immediate effect, which seems a rather odd move, given that it leaves them without regional feed until Emerald Air is up and running.

I think EI has treated STK very badly. To replace an airline that has given EI nearly ten years of good service, with great crews and a perfect safety record, with a paper airline, seems very odd behaviour. And to do this to the staff as well, who are basically left high and dry (some still stuck in Kerry and Carrickfinn overnight), is just as bad.

It would be interesting to hear EI's statement as to the reason behind this decision.

sbworcs

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:22 am

Original tweet has now been deleted as far as I can tell. Nothing on the Stobart Website when I just checked either.
The best way forwards is upwards!

MHG

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:25 am

kaitak wrote:
It would be interesting to hear EI's statement as to the reason behind this decision.

I can`t help but somehow sense there might be not just economical reasons behind EI´s decision ...
Considering the political situation and the technical implications (Stobart is not an EU airline anymore since the UK left the EU and the transition period ended) there might be regulatory difficulties for EI to continue with a UK registered operator.
... or did I miss out on something (e.g. Stobart having an EU/EASA license that I´m not aware of)

Just thinking ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

MHG wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I can`t help but somehow sense there might be not just economical reasons behind EI´s decision ...
Considering the political situation and the technical implications (Stobart is not an EU airline anymore since the UK left the EU and the transition period ended) there might be regulatory difficulties for EI to continue with a UK registered operator.
... or did I miss out on something (e.g. Stobart having an EU/EASA license that I´m not aware of)

Just thinking ...

Stobart Air is an Irish company so has always had an Irish/EU AOC.

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 am

sbworcs wrote:
Original tweet has now been deleted as far as I can tell. Nothing on the Stobart Website when I just checked either.

Check airport departure/arrival feeds. The tweet was updated and reposted. https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/14 ... 21792?s=20

According to many EI have cancelled the contract with immediate effect.

sbworcs

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:47 am

seansasLCY wrote:
sbworcs wrote:

Check airport departure/arrival feeds. The tweet was updated and reposted. https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/14 ... 21792?s=20

Thanks. Strange that Stobart website says nothing.
The best way forwards is upwards!

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:54 am

sbworcs wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
sbworcs wrote:

Thanks. Strange that Stobart website says nothing.

Indeed. Also strange that EI have said nothing.

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 am

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/14036 ... 44/photo/1

Statement from Stobart to staff. Am guessing a proper statement will be released later

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:22 am

bmibaby737 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

It's a shame that kid never writes a source for his information; just stealing information all the time and never recognising where it come from.

Sad news for Stobart Air but not unexpected; huge losses with even greater liabilities, and a wet lease contract that expires next year. Sad for all the crew and staff.

Not particularly fair on him. I’ve always seen him h/t others on Twitter. Sometimes people share stuff and it’s not possible to name your source - they might have received it in confidence.

Anyway it seems it was Esken who’ve pulled the plug according the leaked email.

8herveg

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 am

Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t EI just operate these regional routes themselves? As in, why can’t they buy their own smaller aircraft (say, the ATR’s, Embraers, Dash-8’s or whatever) rather than continuously looking for a franchise airline to do it?

yuomi

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1403617506103865344/photo/1

Statement from Stobart to staff. Am guessing a proper statement will be released later

Am I reading that statement wrong, or does it say the wet-lease agreement was with BA?

Considering it was an all-atr fleet, how does that work?

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:05 am

yuomi wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

Am I reading that statement wrong, or does it say the wet-lease agreement was with BA?

They were operating two E190s. At least one of which was flying for BACF I think.

8herveg wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t EI just operate these regional routes themselves? As in, why can’t they buy their own smaller aircraft (say, the ATR’s, Embraers, Dash-8’s or whatever) rather than continuously looking for a franchise airline to do it?

Most airlines use franchises or subsidiaries to lower costs. EI is well established and therefore has higher costs and rules (through union deals etc) that mean it’s often cheaper to outsource some regional flying. Nearly all major carriers do it - BA, Air France, KLM, SAS...

They also haven’t been continuously looking for an airline. They had Aer Arran who then became Stobart. Then they announced that Emerald would take over the contract from 2022. So basically one carrier from the start until now.

opticalilyushin

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:34 am

yuomi wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

I don't fully understand the exact set up but the wet lease was their way of somehow operating out of Belfast (post-Brexit) while waiting on their own UK AOC to come through. Stobart had it signposted at all gates for departing passengers.

ScottishDavie

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:37 am

For what it's worth all the Aer Lingus Regional flights at BHD are showing as cancelled - EDI, MAN, EMA, EXT, BHX, LBA

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:47 am

ScottishDavie wrote:
For what it's worth all the Aer Lingus Regional flights at BHD are showing as cancelled - EDI, MAN, EMA, EXT, BHX, LBA

Loganair are offering rescue fares for £60 including baggage for customers out of Belfast, according to their Twitter. You need to call 0344 800 2855 to make the booking and have to have proof of your Aer Lingus Regional booking. Valid if you hold a ticket through to 31 August.

Which routes do Loganair fly that would be relevant?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

factsonly

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:54 am

ScottishDavie wrote:

Also these routes out of DUB are cancelled today June, 12th:

- EDI
- GLA
- MAN
- KIR
- CFN

Source: Dublin Airport

tonystan

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:58 am

So sad to hear this.

RE has so many wonderful and experienced staff. A number of former colleagues of mine joined them last year when the BHD base was set up after they lost their jobs at my carrier.

This nightmare is never ending.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

ScottishDavie

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 am

ClassicLover wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:

Loganair are offering rescue fares for £60 including baggage for customers out of Belfast, according to their Twitter. You need to call 0344 800 2855 to make the booking and have to have proof of your Aer Lingus Regional booking. Valid if you hold a ticket through to 31 August.

As far as I know and subject to correction by anyone better informed, Loganair fly BHD-GLA, BHD-ABZ, BHD-INV. There was talk of BHD-DND at one point but I don't know if that happened. They also have a presence at DUB and LDY but I'm not sure of the details and as far as I can see their offer is only for flights out of BHD.
Last edited by ScottishDavie on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:19 am

ClassicLover wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:

I'm not sure what the relationship with Loganair is or was ? Loganair had only recently stepped in to replace the post Flybe service between BHD and GLA, and again in recent weeks dropped it in the face of Stobart opening up on the same routing, to add to their portfolio of post Flybe UK regional services. All very peculiar.

ScottishDavie

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am

JannEejit wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:

I'm not sure what the relationship with Loganair is or was ? Loganair had only recently stepped in to replace the post Flybe service between BHD and GLA, and again in recent weeks dropped it in the face of Stobart opening up on the same routing, to add to their portfolio of post Flybe UK regional services. All very peculiar.

There is/was no relationship between Stobart and Loganair as far as I know. Loganair used to operated as a Flybe franchise. That ended in 2017 and they have operated independently since although they have a codeshare agreement with BA.

EIEIDW

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:26 am

ScottishDavie wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:

As far as I know and subject to correction by anyone better informed, Loganair fly BHD-GLA, BHD-ABZ, BHD-INV. There was talk of BHD-DND at one point but I don't know if that happened. They also have a presence at DUB and LDY but I'm not sure of the details and as far as I can see their offer is only for flights out of BHD.

Loganair’s current operations from BHD:

• BHD-INV
• BHD-ABZ
• BHD-MME
• BHD-DND

They recently cancelled BHD-GLA following the announcement by Stobart that they would be flying the route

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:38 am

JannEejit wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:

It’s not peculiar. It’s a well established thing to offer rescue fares when a carrier goes under. Loganair and Stobart have no connection.

And the chopping and changing of schedules is because Loganair is aware the market isn’t big enough to both fight over small routes. They did that with Flybe/Eastern and both parties lost a fortune.

EIBPI

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am

Any chance that Aer Lingus will find a replacement operator in the next few days?

There must be plenty choice on the EU wet lease market right now.

by738

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:55 am

next few days would seem ambitious. Although there may have been prep work for weeks in the background. Lets hope Loganair don’t overstretch themselves taking on any of this. I cant imagine the DUB connections workload will improve any time soon.

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am

EIBPI wrote:
Any chance that Aer Lingus will find a replacement operator in the next few days?

Emerald Airlines (the proposed airline that would’ve most likely replaced Stobart on the EI Regional routes) said last year that they would be ready to operate by Summer 2021. No idea if that’s still the case. (https://www.blueskynews.aero/issue-586- ... ettle.html)

Perhaps a wet lease deal Danish Air Transport or WDL could fill in the interim?

Galwayman

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:35 am

Time for EI to stop faffing around and sign an agreement with FR to UK regional cities

davidjohnson6

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:41 am

Is putting your head near the lion's mouth a good idea ?

Breathe

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:01 pm

I wonder if CityJet could see an opportunity to pick up the pilots and lease some cheap ATR aircraft and bid for the franchise? Perhaps their finances would kibosh any ideas of this though.

Awful time for the crew and other workers of Stobart Air!

JannEejit

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:08 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

It’s not peculiar. It’s a well established thing to offer rescue fares when a carrier goes under. Loganair and Stobart have no connection.

And the chopping and changing of schedules is because Loganair is aware the market isn’t big enough to both fight over small routes. They did that with Flybe/Eastern and both parties lost a fortune.

By "peculiar" I'm talking about the sudden demise of Stobart Air and reasons or machinations as to that. I'm fully aware of the practice of rescue flights. And I'm also curious to know if talks were held between the two companies because Loganair were the pre-existing contractor on the BHD-GLA service (post -Flybe) whilst Stobart only added it to their portfolio recently. In effect they have walked away without a fight whereas the Flybe encroachment upon their traditional Scottish network was under different circumstances, and fought differently too.

ScottishDavie

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Breathe wrote:
I wonder if CityJet could see an opportunity to pick up the pilots and lease some cheap ATR aircraft and bid for the franchise? Perhaps their finances would kibosh any ideas of this though.

Awful time for the crew and other workers of Stobart Air!

Isn't CityJet in the Irish equivalent of Chapter 11?

hannah9898

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Will Aer Lingus take over the 13 ATR 72's from Stobart Air anytime soon?

EIBPI

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:35 pm

by738 wrote:
next few days would seem ambitious. Although there may have been prep work for weeks in the background. Lets hope Loganair don’t overstretch themselves taking on any of this. I cant imagine the DUB connections workload will improve any time soon.

Short term wet lease deals can be arranged in a matter of days if the airline involved is ambitious enough (which I’m not convinced Aer Lingus is).

Is the PSO contract assigned to Stobart or Aer Lingus?

vhtje

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:40 pm

EIBPI wrote:

Is there any evidence that the market needs that level of urgency to setup replacement services? One wonders if the loads on the Stobart Air operation were perhaps behind this decision - ie they were low because, Covid. Maybe the operation was bleeding money, so they decided to pull the plug to stem the losses, knowing they were not going to be running the operation when the good times roll around again. Why throw away money?

Does anyone know what the loads on the routes operated by Stobart has been like recently?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

davidjohnson6

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:46 pm

I imagine that the load factor on UK-Ireland flights will improve significantly after 19 July

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:48 pm

EIBPI wrote:
by738 wrote:

Short term wet lease deals can be arranged in a matter of days if the airline involved is ambitious enough (which I’m not convinced Aer Lingus is).

Is the PSO contract assigned to Stobart or Aer Lingus?

I believe the PSOs are assigned to Stobart

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm

Aer Lingus will temporarily operate Regional DUB-EDI/MAN and BHD-BHX/EDI/MAN themselves with A320s beginning Sunday. BA CityFlyer will take over BHD-EXT/LBA from next week

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rep ... 40700.html

davidjohnson6

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:50 pm

British Airways return to Exeter ?!?! So much for the London Airways label...

TexasAirCorp

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:03 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

I'm guessing it's just temporary until Emerald starts up. There must be quite a few CityFlyer Embraers sitting around

jomur

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Time for EI to stop faffing around and sign an agreement with FR to UK regional cities

Why? If people wanted to fly FR they would already be doing it. Aer Lingus use these routes as feeder flights to its hub. No way would FR want pax having the same baggage allowance that Aer Lingus has when connections.

CrimsonNL

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:11 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Maybe that guy talking about the 6 runway Exeter-Intergalactic-Spaceport was onto something..
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

AAMDanny

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:57 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Maybe that guy talking about the 6 runway Exeter-Intergalactic-Spaceport was onto something..

I absolutely love the fact that 5 or so years on, we still joke about that.

But on ta serious note, I'm glad to see BA Cityflyer pick up some extra work for their E-Jets, and connectivity at BHD restored.

Still a sad day for all those wonderful employees at Stobart Air.

Rajahdhani

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 pm

JannEejit wrote:
In effect they have walked away without a fight whereas the Flybe encroachment upon their traditional Scottish network was under different circumstances, and fought differently too.

Firstly, I must applaud your diction prior, and apologize for truncating the quote. That said, can you expand and explain a little more on this topic, please? I am not as familiar with the subject matter, and would feel remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to learn more - as both carriers are now no longer with us.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:02 pm

kaitak wrote:
And to do this to the staff as well, who are basically left high and dry (some still stuck in Kerry and Carrickfinn overnight), is just as bad.

I believe the KIR-DUB and CFN-DUB flights operated this morning as normal so that the aircraft and crews could position back to DUB.

According to RTÉ News, the Dept. of Transport is examining options to restore the PSO services relatively quickly.
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0 ... obart-air/

davidjohnson6

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 pm

If the Irish Govt want a continuation of domestic PSO service, it is very easy for them to assign an airline for PSO purposes in a hurry for about 6 months while a more formal bid process is carried out for the long term

opticalilyushin

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 pm

vhtje wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

Is there any evidence that the market needs that level of urgency to setup replacement services? One wonders if the loads on the Stobart Air operation were perhaps behind this decision - ie they were low because, Covid. Maybe the operation was bleeding money, so they decided to pull the plug to stem the losses, knowing they were not going to be running the operation when the good times roll around again. Why throw away money?

Does anyone know what the loads on the routes operated by Stobart has been like recently?

Out of Belfast almost full on most flights, and numbers to/from Dublin were starting to improve

SEU

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Can someone tell me what this Emerald air is? Is this a revival of the old HS748 cargo airline but as a passenger airline?

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:15 pm

SEU wrote:
Can someone tell me what this Emerald air is? Is this a revival of the old HS748 cargo airline but as a passenger airline?

No. It’s a new airline being formed by Conor McCarthy. His previous roles have included as CEO of Aer Lingus Commuter, Director of Group Ops at Ryanair, Director at Air Asia and Chairman at Dublin Aerospace.

Galwayman

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 pm

jomur wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Why? If people wanted to fly FR they would already be doing it. Aer Lingus use these routes as feeder flights to its hub. No way would FR want pax having the same baggage allowance that Aer Lingus has when connections.

People are choosing FR over EI day and night. Ei has no hub at the moment and it's moving to manchester . It would just take EI 2 minutes to match FR's luggage allowances .......and also FR is a much better airline than EI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos