Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b777900
Topic Author

SBY Growth

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 pm

Since there are 2 new airlines will SBY ever be consider for new service? When AA retires the e 145 what will happen to SBY ?? ANY updates>> WE NEED MORE Air service at SBY WE CAN TAKE 757's why cant we have more service. Maryland eastern shore wants more options for air travel.
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: All caps
[i[b]]Prepare for Gate arrival, Gate 32

airlineworker

Re: SBY GROWTH

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:06 pm

Very small market, had it not been for Piedmont having a maintenance base at the airport, service would be nil.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:09 pm

With 30,000 residents and only 650,000 on the whole of the DELMARVA, not a big catchment area. I’ve driven a number of times, amazingly empty for the east coast.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:57 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
With 30,000 residents and only 650,000 on the whole of the DELMARVA, not a big catchment area. I’ve driven a number of times, amazingly empty for the east coast.

That, and BWI a 2-hr drive from SBY.

uconn99

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

About the same time to DCA as BWI and PHL isn't much further.

3 daily flights each to PHL and CLT the airport is well served IMO. It has more service than HVN!

b777900
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I bet if Breeze came in and added NS to TPA and BDL on e190 those flights would be full. People want more options and BWI OR PHL are too far to drive,.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 pm

b777900 wrote:
Since there are 2 new airlines will SBY ever be consider for new service? When AA retires the e 145 what will happen to SBY ?? ANY updates>> WE NEED MORE Air service at SBY WE CAN TAKE 757's why cant we have more service. Maryland eastern shore wants more options for air travel.

Just because the airport has a runway that's long-enough to land/depart a 757, doesn't mean it has the traffic to fill the aircraft (or even a larger RJ, for that matter). With larger airports right nearby, the legacies most likely don't think the benefit is there for them to dilute their traffic at the other airports to fill a couple of daily RJs to keep a small population happy. See ISP, for example in the NYC area. It's the closest airport to a large portion of Long Island, and the only airlines there are Southwest, Frontier, and American with 2 Piedmont E145s a day to PHL.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

b777900
Topic Author

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 am

uconn99 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

3 daily flights each to PHL and CLT the airport is well served IMO. It has more service than HVN!

so We don't 1 airline we need more options it is not well served plus the 145's are retiring soon What will AA do about that>> E175?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:37 am

You’re served as well as profitably possible—the fact only AA serves SBY shows no other carrier sees additional service as economical. There’s a frequent refrain here, air service isn’t a right.

smokeybandit

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Assuming your flight isn't on a Sunday evening in the summer.

NJFlyer27

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:13 am

SBY could be a good seasonal airport. An airline like Allegiant could operate flights from parts of the Midwest (PIT, CLE, CVG, IND, etc) that could perform well.

Allegiant would need help promoting Ocean City as a destination to these markets. However, I could see it working well from April/May-September/October.

NW747-400

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 am

NJFlyer27 wrote:
SBY could be a good seasonal airport. An airline like Allegiant could operate flights from parts of the Midwest (PIT, CLE, CVG, IND, etc) that could perform well.

Allegiant would need help promoting Ocean City as a destination to these markets. However, I could see it working well from April/May-September/October.

Allegiant already tried SBY and left rather quickly. The market isn’t there.

NJFlyer27

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:48 am

NW747-400 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

Allegiant already tried SBY and left rather quickly. The market isn’t there.

They tried flights to Florida. Completely different market with locals going to Florida rather than Floridians going to Maryland.

I was suggesting flights that target SBY as the destination with Ocean City being the focal point. Different strategy.

Rookinla

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:54 am

I bet if Breeze came in and added NS to TPA and BDL on e190 those flights would be full. People want more options and BWI OR PHL are too far to drive,.[/quote]

If BZ decided to run routes like SBY-TPA or SBY-BDL, they would run through their cash on hand like water. I think it’s great that you love and support your local airport. However, the market is way too tiny to add another airline. BZ can utilize their assets in a more profitable manner elsewhere. SBY needs to work on filling the planes profitably to get AA service upgrades. I would be very concerned that once the ERJ145s depart the fleet there may not be justification to run larger jets out of SBY. There is nowhere near enough of a business travel market there and the vast majority of travelers to Ocean City drive. You are not going to get Tampa travelers to fly in mass to SBY when they have better beaches in their backyard.

deltairlines

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am

Rookinla wrote:
I bet if Breeze came in and added NS to TPA and BDL on e190 those flights would be full. People want more options and BWI OR PHL are too far to drive,.

If BZ decided to run routes like SBY-TPA or SBY-BDL, they would run through their cash on hand like water. I think it’s great that you love and support your local airport. However, the market is way too tiny to add another airline. BZ can utilize their assets in a more profitable manner elsewhere. SBY needs to work on filling the planes profitably to get AA service upgrades. I would be very concerned that once the ERJ145s depart the fleet there may not be justification to run larger jets out of SBY. There is nowhere near enough of a business travel market there and the vast majority of travelers to Ocean City drive. You are not going to get Tampa travelers to fly in mass to SBY when they have better beaches in their backyard.[/quote]

Exactly. I live in Florida - I'm not going to fly to Ocean City, MD to go to an inferior beach than what I can right here (the reason I say inferior is the water up north is far too cold to go in, even in the summer).

I used to live in Jersey - Ocean City was a popular drive for a week vacation for people up there. Aside from that though, it's not really on the radar nationally.

boeing773er

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:28 am

Ocean City, Maryland is busy enough during May-September, why would any person outside of the MD/DE/PA/VA/NJ area want to fly there? The area has a big mediocre beach, and a larger than the normal boardwalk but that's about it. Nothing that makes it pop out from any beach town on the east coast.

I'm always surprised how far people will fly/drive to get to MYR, but they do have enough unique attractions to make it worth it to some.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

NJFlyer27

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:09 pm

boeing773er wrote:
Ocean City, Maryland is busy enough during May-September, why would any person outside of the MD/DE/PA/VA/NJ area want to fly there? The area has a big mediocre beach, and a larger than the normal boardwalk but that's about it. Nothing that makes it pop out from any beach town on the east coast.

I'm always surprised how far people will fly/drive to get to MYR, but they do have enough unique attractions to make it worth it to some.

Marketing is a beautiful thing. Plus, if you are land locked in parts of the Midwest, a beach destination is very appealing.

If Myrtle Beach has gained popularity over the years, than Ocean City could have potential as well. Just look at all the seasonal flights that are operating out of Myrtle Beach.

I'm not suggesting it would be the same volume, but a few seasonal flights could work well at SBY.

FlyHPN

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

NJFlyer27 wrote:
boeing773er wrote:

Marketing is a beautiful thing. Plus, if you are land locked in parts of the Midwest, a beach destination is very appealing.

If Myrtle Beach has gained popularity over the years, than Ocean City could have potential as well. Just look at all the seasonal flights that are operating out of Myrtle Beach.

I'm not suggesting it would be the same volume, but a few seasonal flights could work well at SBY.

I'll preface this by saying I have a second home on the beach in OCMD and have been visiting there my entire life.

Rentals in Ocean City are not cheap by any means. I think one of its largest draws on the northeast is that families can drive there, eliminating the haste of the airport experience and airfare cost; making it affordable since there is no "per head" cost. The appeal for younger people (who you could see flying in) really isn't there - the only place they've probably ever heard of is Seacrets (and truthfully, there isn't much more). Transportation is also an issue. The bus is fine getting up and down coastal highway, but there isn't a good transportation option from the airport to your hotel (minimum 40 minute cab with no traffic, and on a saturday/sunday, you're talking about hours.

As others have said, once you're going to get on a plane to travel somewhere, might as well be a place where the water is warmer and there are some more well known attractions.

evank516

Re: SBY Growth

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 pm

SBY is quite fortunate to have CLT and PHL flights. They’re well served for such a small market. Be grateful for what you have.

Wingtips56

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:20 pm

And one can always drive.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

atcsundevil

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 pm

SBY is lucky it kept service when the DH8Cs retired. Ocean City is a tourist destination, but really only for people in Northern VA, DC, MD, southeastern PA, and maybe DE/NJ. Pretty much all of those people are driving even if there were an option to fly. It's not populated enough to warrant more service for locals, and it's likely always going to be a regional tourist destination rather than a big attraction large numbers of people would fly for. Moxy is going after medium sized markets point to point, and Avelo is starting a base in New Haven — I don't think SBY will be on their radar.

Whenever the E145s go, service will probably just be replaced by whatever Piedmont gets next.

crj900lr

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:40 am

b777900 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

so We don't 1 airline we need more options it is not well served plus the 145's are retiring soon What will AA do about that>> E175?

Piedmont is retiring the 145's soon? Really? where did this come from? If it's really a popular place and can make AA money you will probably see -700 service to CLT if the 145's do go away.

Rookinla

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 am

Piedmont is retiring the 145's soon? Really? where did this come from? If it's really a popular place and can make AA money you will probably see -700 service to CLT if the 145's do go away.[/quote]

SBY is a tiny market so if AA does decide to upgauge to the CR7 you are likely to see a decrease in frequency. Can SBY sustain service if the loads are in the 50% range with the higher capacity aircraft? I think it’s fair to assume that you will see some cities dropping off of the route map when this happens. Especially if the yields aren’t there and SBY is skewed heavily toward leisure and not business travel.