Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

Hong Kong government will not renew work permit for Cathay expat cabin crew

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 am

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2-hong-k ... 28270.html
The report haven't stated any reason but wordings seems to indicate a motive of local employment opportunity?
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

eurotrader85

Re: Hong Kong government will not renew work permit or Cathay expat cabin crew

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:43 am

They stated it was due to the rising unemployment in Hong Kong, where there is plenty of past Hong Konger cabin crew having to find new work. The renewal of visas for ex-pat pilots will happen, just not for cabin crew.

smi0006

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Wonder what percentage of their crew are foreign nationals? I believe they have a large number of Pilipino crew- or did they have a MNL base?

Chasensfo

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:21 pm

I mean, the way people who fly at CX have been describing to me the changes in scheduling, morale, and other issues within the company pre-COVID which now most recently included huge and possibly permanent pay cuts...I think that CX may be a legacy carrier but they're obviously something else as an employer now in 2021. Much like friends I had flying for EK and FlyDubai all came home much sooner than expected with the grueling schedules and very limited days off compared to flying in the US. This investment by CX after all the recent cuts really shows you that they don't seem to value their pilot groups like legacy carriers at least usually pretend to. So sad, they used to be so prestigious.

a318

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Does CX still have their cabin crew bases in North America? I believe they have (had?) JFK, SFO, LAX & YVR.

NZ321

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 pm

I heard they are closed.
Plane mad!

Revelation

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:23 pm

NZ321 wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:
I was going to say, good thing they are working on single-pilot A350s because they are going to need those ex-pat pilots!

Have been a regular CX flier in the 1990s and early 2000s and recently returned to CX due to changes in living / working location. Great airline, especially up front. Have flown it many times. However, I - for one - won't be flying single pilot any time soon. That is one step too far for me, given what we know at present, unless automated flying becomes proven and reliable technology. As they say, the "proof" is in the "pudding" and in the case of a proposal such as this, it takes a significant amount of time to know whether the pudding" is worth eating Good luck to CX - on this one. But I won't be a front-runner signing up for this any time soon, maybe never.

I wouldn't be too worried. Best case this happens starting in 2025, even that is in doubt. It would only apply to cruise flight periods, during take offs and landings there still will be two pilots in the cockpit. Let's see what actually happens before we get too worked up about it.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

par13del

Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 pm

I think the key thing to look at from the company's perspective is when they start paying the pilots and how do they work out the hours to be paid.
Two pilots for take-off and landing still means paying two pilots, where do you save money???? by not paying or having a different rate for the pilot sleeping versus the pilot at the joystick, I am open to how else the carrier saves money.

RoyalBrunei757

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 pm

a318 wrote:
Does CX still have their cabin crew bases in North America? I believe they have (had?) JFK, SFO, LAX & YVR.

I believe all overseas cabin crew and pilot bases are under consideration for permanent closure or, if not have already closed. Feeling very sad for them. God speed!

RoyalBrunei757

Re: Hong Kong government will not renew work permit for Cathay expat cabin crew

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:16 pm

This webpage is a good read, a bit long but you guys can get a comprehensive information what is happening at CX.

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/06/17/strif ... s-hanging/

About 300 expat pilots are flying with CX now.
Last edited by RoyalBrunei757 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm

Always sad when crew are dismissed. How many are effected? I suspect any foreign pilot either uses the 7 year residency to be considered local, or they will be released after the next renewal.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

c933103
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:41 pm

par13del wrote:
I think the key thing to look at from the company's perspective is when they start paying the pilots and how do they work out the hours to be paid.
Two pilots for take-off and landing still means paying two pilots, where do you save money???? by not paying or having a different rate for the pilot sleeping versus the pilot at the joystick, I am open to how else the carrier saves money.

On normal long haul flights you need more than two pilots because they cannot work for the entire duration of the flight and rest is needed in the flight, this procedure mean you can just rotate between the two pilots across the entire length of the flight
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

kalvado

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Lots of businesses and countries all over the world benefit from ostarbeiter workers. Middle east, Norwegian crews, "undocumented immigrants" and H-1B workers in US, all cruise lines personell, etc etc etc.
Those are disposable people, with little rights and no leverage in terms of negotiations.
Sad, but being thrown under the bus for political reasons is just another aspect of being disposable. Been there..

Sad that some low paid crew is dismissed. Good that some higher paid locals will take those jobs. Lots of people in industry should be happy with raising the bar.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos