Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tichydev
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Surprised there isn't a thread dedicated to LF/VTE. Anyone hear any rumblings of new EAS markets or resuming at risk service?

Former Contour managed fleet pilot here. Great company! They have allot of potential. Id love to see them adding some more east coast flying and beef up their current bases.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4307
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm

They are losing their TBN-STL route. Didn't re-bid it.

I also assume the IND routes that never started are dead at this point.
 
tichydev
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
They are losing their TBN-STL route. Didn't re-bid it.

I also assume the IND routes that never started are dead at this point.


I'd give IND a year to get back in the cards once business travel picks back up. Contour was looking at IND for quite a while before they made the move. I doubt STL would be in the cards without the TBN connection but BNA-IND has potential. Sad to see the sole STL route go though but Skywest should do well there. TBN-STL was a short/hard route on a jet.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4307
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 pm

tichydev wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
They are losing their TBN-STL route. Didn't re-bid it.

I also assume the IND routes that never started are dead at this point.


I'd give IND a year to get back in the cards once business travel picks back up. Contour was looking at IND for quite a while before they made the move. I doubt STL would be in the cards without the TBN connection but BNA-IND has potential. Sad to see the sole STL route go though but Skywest should do well there. TBN-STL was a short/hard route on a jet.


I personally think if BNA-IND happens that WN picks it up and then Contour will see its passengers go to WN instead. Same thing as WN was going to run STL-IND shortly after the announcement. But we'll see.
 
TexasAirCorp
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Any news on the resumption of SBA ops? Seemed like a great little operation, Santa Barbara is a beautiful town with a lot of air service potential.
 
MO11
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
They are losing their TBN-STL route. Didn't re-bid it.


It can't bid it. It has to be operated as AEAS for which a grant is requested by the community (as opposed to a subsidy paid to an airline). TBN is on the fence for maintaining EAS.

Greenville, MS has requested an AEAS grant, for which LF would provide service.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:34 pm

LF has added back its second OAK-CEC-OAK run 3x weekly for the season, on top of its year 'round daily. The daily is AEAS subsidized, but the extra flight is at risk. That ran in 2019 but not in 2020 with Covid. Glad to see it back.

It would be great to have it continue on or connect at OAK to SBA or elsewhere like it did before. Better yet, add one CEC-SMF (for personal reasons as well as...) where it could serve O/D to the state capital as well as connect to AA. Since AA pulled out of OAK (again), the LF-AA interline agreement is unserved.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5676
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
LF has added back its second OAK-CEC-OAK run 3x weekly for the season, on top of its year 'round daily. The daily is AEAS subsidized, but the extra flight is at risk. That ran in 2019 but not in 2020 with Covid. Glad to see it back.

It would be great to have it continue on or connect at OAK to SBA or elsewhere like it did before. Better yet, add one CEC-SMF (for personal reasons as well as...) where it could serve O/D to the state capital as well as connect to AA. Since AA pulled out of OAK (again), the LF-AA interline agreement is unserved.


With WN in the OAK-SBA and SBA-LAS market, it wouldn't be surprising to see LF move their ops from SBA to either SBP or SMX. If they go back to flying non-EAS routes, I don't think they would go head-to-head with WN.

I've flown LF twice...OAK-CEC RT and OAK-SBA RT. They were one of my favorite small airlines. I hope they do re-enter to non-EAS flying soon.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 am

From what I have been told, the Indy routes are on hold until next year. MKE-IND may replace STL, and makes a whole lot more sense. Downside for Contour: Sterling may be "Encouraged" to bid for it as well, MANY long-time Indy connections involved, the names are all well-known to the Authority Board..
 
User avatar
johnboy
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:08 am

Was at Crescent City airport a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a sharp-looking livery. Also had a rando person speak about how much she liked the service from OAK, as we were talking about Crescent City. . Gotta catch it up there sometime.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5676
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:48 am

johnboy wrote:
Was at Crescent City airport a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a sharp-looking livery. Also had a rando person speak about how much she liked the service from OAK, as we were talking about Crescent City. . Gotta catch it up there sometime.


Flights are reasonably priced...at least when I flew the route. But having a seat-pitch of 36 or so inches is really nice on an E-135.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:49 pm

One challenge for Contour's Indy service is that RJ slack in BNA and STL were a big part of the picture, but with the loss of the aEAS contract in Fort Leonard Wood that part is gone The IND plans were not only supported by extra capacity from the TBN-STL RJ, but part of what gave the IND operation a better shot is that aEAS subsidy for Tupelo and Fort Leonard Wood were to a great extent paying for the cost of those two aircraft and for the costs of the Contour stations in BNA and STL. Using those same RJ's to fly a few IND trips during their downtime meant those flights would be much less expensive than "setting up shop from scratch" where the entire cost of the aircraft, crews, station, etc. needed to be covered by the revenue form the route(s). Again, Contour wasn't only relying on this -- the IND and PIT stations were to be new and one aircraft was planned to serve the Indy market which was not supported by aEAS funds. But losing TBN-STL pulls a leg out from under the stool

Perhaps equally or more important is how business travel recovers in general. But Indianapolis was in a unique position for Contour because two of their aEAS markets were good potential markets from IND. Now BNA will be but STL no longer will.
 
tichydev
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:10 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
From what I have been told, the Indy routes are on hold until next year. MKE-IND may replace STL, and makes a whole lot more sense. Downside for Contour: Sterling may be "Encouraged" to bid for it as well, MANY long-time Indy connections involved, the names are all well-known to the Authority Board..


Connecting IND with MKE and PIT have always made sense and had corporate funding behind them. Remember: Contour operated for Onejet and essentially introduced the E135 to them only for Onejet to screw LF over when they stopped paying and, decided to “buy” Ultimate Air. If anyone has the edge and recent experience to bring those routes back effectively it’s Contour. As I and others suggested, I give it a year for them to revisit IND. It was on their radar for a long time!
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 am

DFW
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5676
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:00 pm

I still think Contour has opportunities up and down the West Coast, even if WN is flying some of their old routes.
 
tichydev
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Ishrion wrote:
DFW


GLH would be nice opportunity to add DFW. 1x day DFW and 1-2x day BNA. Anyone have the details on the AEAS bid there?
 
Delta28L
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Contour Airlines Routes and Predictions

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm

tichydev wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
DFW


GLH would be nice opportunity to add DFW. 1x day DFW and 1-2x day BNA. Anyone have the details on the AEAS bid there?


Boutique is flying the route to DFW and BNA right now

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos