Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: AA Facing Summer Cancellations and Crewing Issues

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:42 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The AA defenders are really working overtime these days lol . Good to see they have still have the energy

The service on all legacies has gone downhill so much, let's see what product remains lost covid. The real question is what service cuts become permanent. Nothing specific to AA, all legacies legacies have cut alot

Right now AA feels the most like spirit but with worse customer service, more cancellations and oasis seats are way less comfy then the big front seats on spirit.

No.
People are being hyperbolic about what was essentially 10 substandard operational days due to pilot staffing.
AA adjusted their schedule to compensate and there really haven't been further issues. Of course, now you have people complaining that AA adjusted their schedule.
These same people are being completely mute about WN actually having a summer from hell and not taking any action to address it.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The AA defenders are really working overtime these days lol . Good to see they have still have the energy

The service on all legacies has gone downhill so much, let's see what product remains lost covid. The real question is what service cuts become permanent. Nothing specific to AA, all legacies legacies have cut alot

Right now AA feels the most like spirit but with worse customer service, more cancellations and oasis seats are way less comfy then the big front seats on spirit.

No.
People are being hyperbolic about what was essentially 10 substandard operational days due to pilot staffing.
AA adjusted their schedule to compensate and there really haven't been further issues. Of course, now you have people complaining that AA adjusted their schedule.
These same people are being completely mute about WN actually having a summer from hell and not taking any action to address it.

A close in schedule change is pretty bad tho. Changing people’s travel plans by hours or sometimes days is not reliable. It just doesn’t show up as a cancellation

Woofbite

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Could it be because this is an AA topic and "these same people" maybe haven't been flying WN and aren't aware of all their problems.

These same people are being completely mute about WN actually having a summer from hell and not taking any action to address it.[/quote]

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:01 pm

32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

No.

A close in schedule change is pretty bad tho. Changing people’s travel plans by hours or sometimes days is not reliable. It just doesn’t show up as a cancellation

I feel for the people who had their plans changed 1-day to two weeks out - that sucks and AA deserves the dragging for that.
The over 30-day out schedule change that another poster is talking about in this thread has been the norm during COVID for all carriers and is really just drama queen behaviour.

lowfareair

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:52 pm

crownvic wrote:
The defenders of AA are alive and well here. All I am reading is how the problems are all in the past. Meanwhile, they just cancelled my return nonstop leg PHL-LAS in August and have put me on another connection. So, the problems are not over. Then they want to offer me a credit instead of a refund? Look forward to this battle. I just cancelled the trip and now refuse to fly this airline anymore.

Going from nonstop to connection is enough for a refund - just send them a message on Twitter and they should do it quickly if you can't do it through their website.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:08 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

No.

I feel for the people who had their plans changed 1-day to two weeks out - that sucks and AA deserves the dragging for that.
The over 30-day out schedule change that another poster is talking about in this thread has been the norm during COVID for all carriers and is really just drama queen behaviour.

We are reopen. 2 million people are flying a day. The 30 day schedule changes should end. It can really mess you up if you’re hitting additional transportation after you land.

USAirKid

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:11 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
crownvic wrote:
The defenders of AA are alive and well here. All I am reading is how the problems are all in the past. Meanwhile, they just cancelled my return nonstop leg PHL-LAS in August and have put me on another connection. So, the problems are not over. Then they want to offer me a credit instead of a refund? Look forward to this battle. I just cancelled the trip and now refuse to fly this airline anymore.

If your flight is not until August that is a schedule change not a cancellation. Words matter.
The AA COC is pretty clear that you are eligible for a refund if you are changed from a non-stop to a connection. It isn't automatic - you have to go to https://prefunds.aa.com and request it.

USFlyer is correct.

And since I looked it up once, it’s a schedule change if it’s made more than 168 hours (1 week) ahead of departure. It’s a cancellation if it’s made less than 168 hours ahead of departure.

Crownvic, sure this schedule change sucks, but would you prefer this or a last minute delay? A schedule change even just over a week in advance is better customer service than just leaving the flight and cancelling it just a few days or hours before (or after) it is supposed to depart.

The airlines in normal times are an absurdly complex business. In rapidly changing times? It’s an absurdly complex business raised to the tenth power.

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 pm

32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

We are reopen. 2 million people are flying a day. The 30 day schedule changes should end. It can really mess you up if you’re hitting additional transportation after you land.

Is it really that hard to reschedule ground transport one month in advance?
The traveler also has the option of switching to a different flight that will better meet their needs if there are time limitations.

HII

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

I've always wondered how the airlines got away with paying their employees so little (except the C suite of course). Maybe the travel benefits used to be appealing enough to make up for the low pay, but that no longer seems to be the case!

There is a large brain drain in the corporate side. Accountants/Finance/Legal won't stick around for airline pay if they're good at their job. If they aren't..

:checkmark:

This is very true. I started at an airline HQ in 2010 in human resources. They had a superb staff in our area. There is literally not one single person left who was there when I started. Everyone has either left the industry entirely or (in my case) moved to a non-airline sector of aviation. The pay just wasn't worth it and the travel benefits are practically useless anymore.

100% agreed with this. I left aviation for a different sector that paid more than enough to purchase my own flights instead. With the added benefit of not having to worry about being laid off every few years, I could never go back into commercial aviation finance again.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:11 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The traveler also has the option of switching to a different flight that will better meet their needs if there are time limitations.

It is if your going somewhere remote and connecting with another plane. Or it could mean another 300 dollar hotel cus you now have to fly the day before.

AirKevin

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Depends what mode of ground transport you're talking about. Rental cars might be available one day, but not another. Same for buses and trains. Cruise ship? Good luck.
Captain Kevin

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:29 pm

AirKevin wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Depends what mode of ground transport you're talking about. Rental cars might be available one day, but not another. Same for buses and trains. Cruise ship? Good luck.

Honestly, if a couple of hours is going to make that much of a difference you have scheduled your trip too tightly. You should be flying in the day before a cruise and have back up options for other forms of transport. What you do if there was a legit weather delay on the day of travel?

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:57 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Honestly, if a couple of hours is going to make that much of a difference you have scheduled your trip too tightly. You should be flying in the day before a cruise and have back up options for other forms of transport. What you do if there was a legit weather delay on the day of travel?

It still applies. If you planned to go the day before now you might have to go two days before when AA cancels the flight they sold you

ikramerica

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:24 pm

Well, the car service we booked knew AA changed our flight departure time 3 days before AA reflected it in our reservation… I thought their info was wrong, then three days later, AA finally tells us about it.

When we booked months ago, our connection was 70 minutes. Then 1st schedule change made it 52 minutes. Second made it 86 minutes and we felt comfortable again. Now this latest change less than 2 weeks out cut it back to 52 minutes again and the flight is coming up in a few days. And with so little warning, try finding 4available F seats available on the route on our day of travel.

We are crossing our fingers that we connect okay.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:14 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Well, the car service we booked knew AA changed our flight departure time 3 days before AA reflected it in our reservation… I thought their info was wrong, then three days later, AA finally tells us about it.

When we booked months ago, our connection was 70 minutes. Then 1st schedule change made it 52 minutes. Second made it 86 minutes and we felt comfortable again. Now this latest change less than 2 weeks out cut it back to 52 minutes again and the flight is coming up in a few days. And with so little warning, try finding 4available F seats available on the route on our day of travel.

Don’t worry they will rebook you into row 30 seat b

usflyer msp

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:28 am

32andBelow wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

It still applies. If you planned to go the day before now you might have to go two days before when AA cancels the flight they sold you

I have not heard one report of someone not being able to be rebooked the same day due to an advance schedule change.
At the last minute- Yes but weeks in advance there are usually plenty of options.

alasizon

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 am

ikramerica wrote:

Not sure where you are going but there have been a handful of changes (not just AA) at certain airports for departure spacing in the peak AM and early afternoon periods of busy VFR airports due to TSA advising the airlines they are unable to staff the security checkpoints and baggage screening to an acceptable level to ensure an on-time departure. In turn this is also causing gate availability issues for common use gates at these same airports.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AirKevin

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:03 am

usflyer msp wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Depending on the timing, a couple hours easily could. Suppose those couple hours puts you past when buses shut down, trains shut down, or rental car places shut down. Then what. And if the flight reschedule puts you in a position where you don't fly out until a day or two later, then you have a new set of problems.
Captain Kevin

crownvic

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:59 am

USAirKid wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
crownvic wrote:

If your flight is not until August that is a schedule change not a cancellation. Words matter.
The AA COC is pretty clear that you are eligible for a refund if you are changed from a non-stop to a connection. It isn't automatic - you have to go to https://prefunds.aa.com and request it.

USFlyer is correct.

And since I looked it up once, it’s a schedule change if it’s made more than 168 hours (1 week) ahead of departure. It’s a cancellation if it’s made less than 168 hours ahead of departure.

Crownvic, sure this schedule change sucks, but would you prefer this or a last minute delay? A schedule change even just over a week in advance is better customer service than just leaving the flight and cancelling it just a few days or hours before (or after) it is supposed to depart.

The airlines in normal times are an absurdly complex business. In rapidly changing times? It’s an absurdly complex business raised to the tenth power.

The problem is, we were re-booked on a connecting red eye, that gives us a risky 25 minute connection in Chicago. Red eye flights originate at the tail end of a days worth of flying and could easily be subjected to rolling delays. So, if we are late in any way getting into ORD and miss the connection, then what? Suppose the remaining ORD-PHL flights are full? Then what? Who knows how long we can be stranded at ORD with little or no compassion. Then when you try and review your ticket, AA makes it impossible to see if the ticket is refundable or not. As was mentioned on this thread, you have to basically "roll the dice" and submit a refund request not knowing whether you are entitled to a refund or not. I spent two hours with several people trying to just find out what kind of ticket I had, and none of us could figure it out. I even tried to call AA with zero luck. They offered me a call back service which I opted for. Never heard back.

Sorry, but when you spend $3000.00 on two domestic First Class tickets and you get zero service, that is not a way to run an airline. Bottom line is, I cancelled and re-booked on DL regardless of the refund.

bigb

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:12 am

crownvic wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

USFlyer is correct.

The problem is, we were re-booked on a connecting red eye, that gives us a risky 25 minute connection in Chicago. Red eye flights originate at the tail end of a days worth of flying and could easily be subjected to rolling delays. So, if we are late in any way getting into ORD and miss the connection, then what? Suppose the remaining ORD-PHL flights are full? Then what? Who knows how long we can be stranded at ORD with little or no compassion. Then when you try and review your ticket, AA makes it impossible to see if the ticket is refundable or not. As was mentioned on this thread, you have to basically "roll the dice" and submit a refund request not knowing whether you are entitled to a refund or not. I spent two hours with several people trying to just find out what kind of ticket I had, and none of us could figure it out. I even tried to call AA with zero luck. They offered me a call back service which I opted for. Never heard back.

Sorry, but when you spend $3000.00 on two domestic First Class tickets and you get zero service, that is not a way to run an airline. Bottom line is, I cancelled and re-booked on DL regardless of the refund.

There you go, problem solved. I am not here to defend AA, but you had ample to review the changes and if you dislike, you got your refund and went to Delta.

usflyer msp

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:26 pm

crownvic wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

USFlyer is correct.

You are making this way more difficult than it needs to be and stressing yourself out for no reason.
If they rebooked you on a flight that doesn't work for you - choose a different one that does or take a refund.
As far your ticket being refundable or not - it doesn't matter in a schedule change. If your flight was changed from a non-stop to a connection, you are eligible for a refund - that is a DOT rule for every carrier.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Please post on topic
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

asuflyer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 am

Lots of disruption on flights in and out of DFW diversions and cancellations today due to severe WX / Thunderstorms.

jolt3on

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Anyone know what is going on with AA and SLC? Seems daily cancellations to and from SLC and DFW and PHX last week.

Boof02671

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

crownvic wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

USFlyer is correct.

There is no way AA booked you for a 25 minute connection in ORD. Minimum connection time is 40 minutes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america ... n-etc.html

fun2fly

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:02 pm

AA at ORD on Sat 7PM 7/31. 60 active AA flights: 7 cancelations, 14 delays or 33% flights with issues and no weather issues anywhere. For us, it was 2:45 delay after a long trip home from Greece due to late arriving flight from MKE sitting in the bus terminal gate G17. Gate agents not overly helpful to people worried about getting home for the most part, recommending that you call AA (wow, that will take hours). I'm not sure how they expect repeat business. One and done for this other airline loyalist.

capejet

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:40 pm

For Sunday August 1, AA canceled 9% of its flights, Southwest canceled 2%. There were thunderstorms in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so that may have affected them but the real question is what happened to Spirit on sunday, as they canceled 19% of their flights. Was there bad weather in Fort Lauderdale?

Sooner787

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Lots of disruption on flights in and out of DFW diversions and cancellations today due to severe WX / Thunderstorms.

Local TV news in Dallas reported ping pong size hail in Euless, right next to DFW during that wicked storm late Sunday afternoon.

Anyone hear of any planes that got dinged at DFW?

IFlyMGN

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 pm

DFW has definitely had their issues of late. Trying to get home from PSP via DFW a couple of weeks ago was an experience that I hope not to repeat. Our flight (operated by MESA) was supposed to have departed DFW at 9:22 PM. As of midnight, we still didn't have a flight crew. We finally arrived shortly after 1:30 AM the next morning. Some passengers had been waiting since the morning before. AA had cancelled all DFW to MGM flights the previous day.
Felt sorry for the gate agent who was charged with trying to cover three gates at the same time.

ABEguy

Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 pm

Any idea if AA has aircraft out of service due to hail damage at DFW? Over 500 cancelations today systemwide. That’s too many to just chalk up to thunderstorms.

mcoatc

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:09 am

ABEguy wrote:
Any idea if AA has aircraft out of service due to hail damage at DFW? Over 500 cancelations today systemwide. That’s too many to just chalk up to thunderstorms.

Not when there's almost no arrivals or departures for a good 3 hours, and many of your diversions time out. It's gonna take AA a few days to recover, just my opinion. They had quite a few planes stuffed onto the ramp wherever they could. They kept putting in ground stops for gate issues. I also think they were having trouble getting reserve crews in.

There wasn't any noticeable hail last night. Some incredibly impressive microbursts, and some serious lightening damage to 18L, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hail on the airfield. And AA made no mention of it today. Moreso crew and operational issues.

deltairlines

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 am

I was stuck in the mess at DFW last night and didn't see any hail. We ended up canceling after sitting on the stand for a little over two hours. Was glad I decided to just book the Marriott on my own as soon as I got off the plane - by the time I got to the hotel they were sold out, and that was around 15 minutes after getting off the plane (lucked out that the shuttle was just pulling up as I got to the curb).

This morning was a zoo in Terminal C - I woke up in the middle of the night to a notification that my DFW-DCA flight canceled, but was able to rebook to the 1045a nonstop to JAX. As soon as I got to the airport, that flight went poof. At that point, the only options on the app were for tomorrow morning; so managed to book the last seat on a Delta flight out of DAL this afternoon.

Turns out I could have gotten a seat on AA later today; the third flight was delayed 1:04, the 619p flight is still sitting on the ground in DFW with a posted departure of 1035p and the 835p is sitting on the ground with a 1023p posted departure time.

Meanwhile, even with Delta taking a 30 minute delay on ATL-JAX, I'm at home relaxing before work tomorrow rather than getting in at some wee hour of the morning.

SWALUV

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 am

Last night seems to have rolled over to today. Near 40% of flights delayed out of DFW, and 33% of AA flights system wide delayed with about 18% cancelled according to Flight Aware. Rough day..

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am

FlightAware is showing AA (mainline only) has already cancelled 9% of its flights (276) as of 7:43AM EDT 8/3/21.

IFlyOff

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:22 pm

I noticed many DFW flights to and from SAN cancelled over the past couple of days. I think it was 4 yesterday. Weather or crew staffing issues again? My flight on UA to ORD had many customers sent over from American.

maps4ltd

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:31 pm

IFlyOff wrote:
I noticed many DFW flights to and from SAN cancelled over the past couple of days. I think it was 4 yesterday. Weather or crew staffing issues again? My flight on UA to ORD had many customers sent over from American.

WX issues yesterday.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

IrishAyes

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:47 pm

My dad was supposed to fly LGA-DFW yesterday afternoon, which was cancelled, and then they re-routed him LGA-MIA-DFW. He gets to MIA and then they cancelled the MIA-DFW flight. They overnighted him, and now, they're having to re-route him through MCO, to get from MIA to DFW. He was supposed to fly DFW-ORD tomorrow for a funeral and I told him to not come and rest at home. What a nightmare.

orlandocfi

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:02 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
My dad was supposed to fly LGA-DFW yesterday afternoon, which was cancelled, and then they re-routed him LGA-MIA-DFW. He gets to MIA and then they cancelled the MIA-DFW flight. They overnighted him, and now, they're having to re-route him through MCO, to get from MIA to DFW. He was supposed to fly DFW-ORD tomorrow for a funeral and I told him to not come and rest at home. What a nightmare.

Good advice. Weather in the Dallas area caused many problems yesterday and will be causing problems again today. Gotta love those stormy Texas summers!

AWACSooner

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:11 pm

IrishAyes wrote:

AA and DFW...when there's a bolt of lightning within 500 miles of that airfield, the delays/cancelations begin. I wish that was hyperbole, but after living in TX/OK/LA for the past two decades, DFW has been a nightmare every time a storm comes near the Metroplex.
Yet, somehow DL seems to not have these irrops issues with ATL whenever it storms in the vicinity...nor WN at DAL.

jetwet1

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:53 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

Good advice. Weather in the Dallas area caused many problems yesterday and will be causing problems again today. Gotta love those stormy Texas summers!

I can confirm, DFW is a mess right now, our flight keeps getting pushed back in 30 min segments.

UpNAWAy

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Flight aware misery map is a good tool when the weather is like yesterday and today.

https://flightaware.com/miserymap/usall/1629313200

bigb

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:28 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

AA and DFW...when there's a bolt of lightning within 500 miles of that airfield, the delays/cancelations begin. I wish that was hyperbole, but after living in TX/OK/LA for the past two decades, DFW has been a nightmare every time a storm comes near the Metroplex.
Yet, somehow DL seems to not have these irrops issues with ATL whenever it storms in the vicinity...nor WN at DAL.

That’s to be expected as the DFW region sits east of the dry line and south of Tornado alley. The region sees more Weather related issues vs ATL in general.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos