Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

Re: AS BOI focus city

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:28 pm

DeltaAVL wrote:
AS just announced daily BOI-IDA (Q400) and BOI-LAS (E175), with scheduling designed for connections in BOI for IDA-BOI-LAS and vice versa. They're also making BOI-PDX daily, year-round.

It would seem IDA-SEA should have a lot more utility -- way more non-stop flight offerings than the BOI focus city. I suppose they expect a little State business on IDA-BOI.

Tailwinds

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:37 pm

How do Alaska's BOI facilities match up with the growth and now connecting flights they have through there? I haven't been through BOI in a few years, but last I recall Alaska had a fairly compact ground-level passenger lobby and all ground-level boarding. With pax occupying the ground level do they even have a bag-sort facility to handle connections? It looks like there were plans to build an all-new terminal due in 2023, but google maps imagery dated 2021 doesn't even show ground broken. Did it get postponed?

Ossyoos

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:57 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DeltaAVL wrote:
AS just announced daily BOI-IDA (Q400) and BOI-LAS (E175), with scheduling designed for connections in BOI for IDA-BOI-LAS and vice versa. They're also making BOI-PDX daily, year-round.

It would seem IDA-SEA should have a lot more utility -- way more non-stop flight offerings than the BOI focus city. I suppose they expect a little State business on IDA-BOI.

I believe they added a daily IDA-SEA flight in the spring.

BoeingGuy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:09 pm

Ossyoos wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
DeltaAVL wrote:

Yes, SEA-IDA started in June (the same day as SEA-RDD). It’s supposed to go twice-daily next year.

SEA-IDA was really a resumption. AS has flown it in the past.

ASFlyer

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 pm

the flight from IDA to BOI will accommodate connections to ORD, AUS, LAS, PHX, SFO and LAX. I imagine they'll be able to make the route work with those connections and local passengers.

QXorVX

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Ossyoos wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Yes, SEA-IDA started in June (the same day as SEA-RDD). It’s supposed to go twice-daily next year.

SEA-IDA was really a resumption. AS has flown it in the past.

Both SEA and BOI were resumptions to IDA. Horizon (back when it was still AS but also their own thing) operated IDA-BOI for decades. After the retirement of the Dash 8-100/200 BOI-IDA declined from four daily, to a couple daily, and eventually the city was cut all together in 2010, only to come back earlier this year with the return of SEA. This route has long history, so time will tell if the demographics have changed enough in 10 years to support the flight.

The airport had some money set aside for a BOI flight, cannot remember if it was SCASD or private. At one point during the 10 year absence of Horizon they had Seaport operating PC12s on the route, that was short lived. It's been a major priority for them to see the return of intrastate service.

QXorVX

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:13 am

Tailwinds wrote:
How do Alaska's BOI facilities match up with the growth and now connecting flights they have through there? I haven't been through BOI in a few years, but last I recall Alaska had a fairly compact ground-level passenger lobby and all ground-level boarding. With pax occupying the ground level do they even have a bag-sort facility to handle connections? It looks like there were plans to build an all-new terminal due in 2023, but google maps imagery dated 2021 doesn't even show ground broken. Did it get postponed?

BOI's current terminal/ concourse is half of the current master plan, the net build out will just mirror (to a degree) both of the current buildings. An additional head house to the east and an additional concourse to the west. The Horizon and Alaska gates currently occupy the ground boarding area in the center with a jetway fitted to at least one of the ground boarding piers- perhaps there are two? There is room for improvement, but completely workable as it is.

BOI is roughly the same layout it was when Horizon operated a mini-hub in the 2000s, connecting LWS, IDA, PIH, and sometimes SUN to the rest of the network. They are capable of handling connections. I imagine there are a few odd-route connections through BOI everyday.

wedgetail737

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 am

ASFlyer wrote:
the flight from IDA to BOI will accommodate connections to ORD, AUS, LAS, PHX, SFO and LAX. I imagine they'll be able to make the route work with those connections and local passengers.

And they won't have to backtrack all the way to SEA for connections.

It wouldn't surprise me if we AS re-entering the BOI-RNO and BOI-SLC routes.

Wneast
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

And they won't have to backtrack all the way to SEA for connections.

It wouldn't surprise me if we AS re-entering the BOI-RNO and BOI-SLC routes.

Someone told me I’m guessing it’s probably true but AS is probably looking at the migration of people moving from elsewhere and a lot of the Californian card members are moving to Boise. Makes me think next summer a seasonal hawaii route could be coming or a lot sooner then we thought

knope2001

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:16 am

Looking at a weekday next July I see 37 departures -- 5 mainline, 24 E75, 8 Q400. A nice focus city but here's where those flights go:

22 to Washington/Oregon/Idaho
11 to California
1 each to AUS, LAS, PHX, ORD

The logical connections this schedule offers are pretty limited. And then when you note how many of those possible connections have nonstop service on Alaska and/or other airlines (like PDX-LAS, SEA-AUS, SMF-ORD, GEG-SFO) it's not likely to serve a lot of connecting "hub" flow.

Here's an example. There's cluster...maybe even a "bank"...of ten flights each morning arriving between 917 and 1010, and ten flights departing between 945 and 1050.

Arrivals
0917 PAE
0926 SMF
0934 SJC
0935 SFO
0936 SEA
0937 GEG
0943 PDX
1004 LAX
1005 IDA
1010 SAN

Departures
0945 SEA
1015 PUW
1020 PHX
1025 AUS
1025 SFO
1030 LAX
1035 PAE
1045 PDX
1045 ORD
1050 GEG

There are definitely some legit connections and thru flights there such as PAE--ORD, LAX-GEG SFO-PUW. But many of them have other options, for example PDX-AUS. PDX-BOI-AUS is the fastest connecting itinerary Alaska offers, leaving PDX 7:30am getting to AUS at 255pm. But Alaska has two daily PDX-AUS nonstops including a 7:00am arriving AUS as 12:52pm. There are two great GEG-BOI-LAX connections but bother of them have a nonstop GEG-LAX overlapping them. And with a 30-minute minimum connecting time some possible connections are scheduled too short. For example the new flight in from Idaho Falls arrives 1005 and connects to PAE/PDX/ORD/GEG, but it arrives a bit too late for a legal connection to PUW, PHX, AUS, SFO and LAX. Again it's not that there are zero connections they will run through Boise, and even when there are overlapping nonstops those Boise connections may come into play when the nonstops sell out (or sell out of cheap seats), and more options allows Alaska to manipulate traffic routing with pricing. But it's still not going to be a whole lot simply by the nature of what they are operating.

cjmoeser

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 am

As someone who is Born and raised in BOI and has seen the growth of BOI first hand, I can not see any major routes (Hawaii, Transcon, ECT.) Without the new terminal being built. Myself personally, I do not see Hawaii. I was on a North American Airlinss charter from BOI-OGG in 2003 and I remember being it half full. G4 tried it and they had somewhat of a success due to their low ticket prices. Even though their 757 reliability let them down.
The one route I can foresee AS starting is anc. A lot of people travel to Alaska for hunting and fishing and for leisure. I think alaska would rather funnel people through SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX to get to Hawaii from here and use BOI for the smaller stuff.
Resuming IDA is fantastic on the Q400. It's nice to see inter-idaho travel again after LWS was cut.

Wneast
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 am

cjmoeser wrote:
As someone who is Born and raised in BOI and has seen the growth of BOI first hand, I can not see any major routes (Hawaii, Transcon, ECT.) Without the new terminal being built. Myself personally, I do not see Hawaii. I was on a North American Airlinss charter from BOI-OGG in 2003 and I remember being it half full. G4 tried it and they had somewhat of a success due to their low ticket prices. Even though their 757 reliability let them down.
The one route I can foresee AS starting is anc. A lot of people travel to Alaska for hunting and fishing and for leisure. I think alaska would rather funnel people through SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX to get to Hawaii from here and use BOI for the smaller stuff.
Resuming IDA is fantastic on the Q400. It's nice to see inter-idaho travel again after LWS was cut.

I mean maybe not trans con for AS yet at BOI but JFK is coming back for B6 and Deltas got ATL so boise is starting to get transcon

IceCream

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 am

BOI is quite an interesting choice for a small focus city.

Wneast
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 am

IceCream wrote:

If you look at the way it’s growing it’s going probably turn out like the next Austin

IceCream

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:01 am

Wneast wrote:
IceCream wrote:

If you look at the way it’s growing it’s going probably turn out like the next Austin

Interesting outlook. AUS is quite large compared to BOI but that would be an interesting ambition for them!

wedgetail737

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:37 am

Wneast wrote:
IceCream wrote:

I would compare the growth of BOI to that of BZN.

AS has made BOI a small connecting complex a few times in their history.

jplatts

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm

cjmoeser wrote:

I agree that AS adding BOI-ANC nonstop service is a possibility, and there would also be connecting opportunities through ANC to some smaller Alaskan markets that don't have nonstop service out of SEA if AS adds BOI-ANC nonstop service.

ANC-BOI would likely require mainline aircraft as ANC-BOI is 1,842 miles long, which is longer than any nonstop route that AA, DL, UA, and AS have operated on regional jets.

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:46 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Looking at a weekday next July I see 37 departures -- 5 mainline, 24 E75, 8 Q400. A nice focus city but here's where those flights go:

11 to California

The logical connections this schedule offers are pretty limited. And then when you note how many of those possible connections have nonstop service on Alaska and/or other airlines (like PDX-LAS, SEA-AUS, SMF-ORD, GEG-SFO) it's not likely to serve a lot of connecting "hub" flow.

Here's an example. There's cluster...maybe even a "bank"...of ten flights each morning arriving between 917 and 1010, and ten flights departing between 945 and 1050.

How many mainline gates does AS have at BOI? If they handle a significant portion of those flights through the ground level gates, that's going to be a mess.

32andBelow

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:21 pm

jplatts wrote:
cjmoeser wrote:

I agree that AS adding BOI-ANC nonstop service is a possibility, and there would also be connecting opportunities through ANC to some smaller Alaskan markets that don't have nonstop service out of SEA if AS adds BOI-ANC nonstop service.

ANC-BOI would likely require mainline aircraft as ANC-BOI is 1,842 miles long, which is longer than any nonstop route that AA, DL, UA, and AS have operated on regional jets.

I don’t think ANCBOI makes sense. But I have always wondered why they don’t rotate the Alaska e75s back in something thinner. Seems like a waste to run them on ANCSEA when they could try something new. Which in this case could be ANCBOI.

WN732

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:35 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Alaska will not fly to Hawaii or Orlando from Boise. Get real.

The same was said about Austin. "DAllAs aNd HOuStON Are TOo ClOSe." That was pounded into the sand on this website. And it still happened.

Lootess

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 pm

ANC-BOI would likely work, always feels like that’s a missing piece.

WN732 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

The same was said about Austin. "DAllAs aNd HOuStON Are TOo ClOSe." That was pounded into the sand on this website. And it still happened.

Texas is large enough for everyone to have a party, unlike Idaho.

WN732

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:46 pm

Lootess wrote:

WN732 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Oh yeah Texas can do it all, but don't underestimate the Californian's moving to Boise. Even on a less than daily basis.

alohaislandair

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 pm

I don’t think BOI as a focus city needs to offer connections to a level as some of you are suggesting. Their definition of the BOI focus city to me is that they’re offering locals more options and trying to grow in a fast growing area of the country.

Pi7472000

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:15 am

WN732 wrote:
Lootess wrote:

WN732 wrote:

Oh yeah Texas can do it all, but don't underestimate the Californian's moving to Boise. Even on a less than daily basis.

AUS has grown but the airport doesn't even compare to DFW. They are not even close to routes or amount of flights.

wedgetail737

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24 am

32andBelow wrote:
jplatts wrote:
cjmoeser wrote:

I don’t think ANCBOI makes sense. But I have always wondered why they don’t rotate the Alaska e75s back in something thinner. Seems like a waste to run them on ANCSEA when they could try something new. Which in this case could be ANCBOI.

I think the whole point of the E-175's flying between SEA-ANC (or even PDX-ANC) is so they can rotate those airplanes out between the mainland and AK.

GSP psgr

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:13 am

Probably a few hundred miles too far, but perhaps an E-175 to Charlotte to link up with American's very large Southeast hub? Along with a daily 737 from SEA and/or PDX to CLT as well.

Along the same lines, with tech connections.....BOI-BOS? Though I have to think that's too long, thin, and without enough connections beyond BOS to actually make that work, doubly so on a 737.

sprxUSA

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:31 am

Cubsrule wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

11 to California

How many mainline gates does AS have at BOI? If they handle a significant portion of those flights through the ground level gates, that's going to be a mess.

All of AS flights are using ground level gates. There are 2 jetways attached to the ground level walkway. They can max 9 or 10 a/c at once, depending on mainline usage.

WN732

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Lootess wrote:

AUS has grown but the airport doesn't even compare to DFW. They are not even close to routes or amount of flights.

No one equated AUS to DFW. But there's no doubt that it can hold its own to Hawaii. BOI can do the same even less than daily.

MIflyer12

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:00 pm

WN732 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

The same was said about Austin.

You're getting way ahead of reality comparing Boise to Austin. Boise doesn't have the population, nor the government of a state of 30 million people. It's more comparable to Colorado Springs - without the proximity to DEN.

BigGSFO

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Thoughts on Vancouver or Calgary from Boise? Seasonally?

alohaislandair

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:12 pm

BigGSFO wrote:

I’m under the impression that BOI would have to have FIS at the airport to handle even Canadian flights. They obviously don’t at the main terminal building, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe they even have an FIS facility at the GA ramp.

flyoregon

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:35 pm

alohaislandair wrote:
BigGSFO wrote:

I’m under the impression that BOI would have to have FIS at the airport to handle even Canadian flights. They obviously don’t at the main terminal building, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe they even have an FIS facility at the GA ramp.

Canada has pre-cleared, and BOI use to have a facility on the north side by the FedEx ramp iirc.

N437QX

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:46 pm

flyoregon wrote:
alohaislandair wrote:
BigGSFO wrote:

Canada has pre-cleared, and BOI use to have a facility on the north side by the FedEx ramp iirc.

I can't recall exactly where I heard it (maybe at an airport commission meeting?), but my understand is that when Concourse A is built out, the area that comprises Concourse C will be partly converted to a customs/border control facility.

MIflyer12 wrote:
You're getting way ahead of reality comparing Boise to Austin. Boise doesn't have the population, nor the government of a state of 30 million people. It's more comparable to Colorado Springs - without the proximity to DEN.

Think by "Austin" he was referring to BOI-AUS service, which I confess I didn't see happening for at maybe another decade. Boise today may not have enough profitable traffic for Hawaii and Orlando, but it's not far away at the current growth rate.

32andBelow

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:10 pm

flyoregon wrote:
alohaislandair wrote:
BigGSFO wrote:

You still need customs and board agents at the arrival airport even if there’s pre clearance. But I’m not sure if they can just send a couple agents over to the arrival.

CBP will clear you at any airport if you call and make arrangements.

IceCream

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:26 pm

A BOI-YYC/YVR would be very interesting, but at the same time I feel like the AS YYC/YVR-SEA flights probably more than take care of all the connections.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:30 pm

If they could somehow add SJD weekend only I think that could be a hit but all depends might be alot to have Customs before the new FIS gates coming

EA CO AS

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:48 am

Wneast wrote:
IceCream wrote:

AAG does see BOI as what AUS was ten, maybe 12 years ago; experiencing growth, particularly in tech, and becoming a new trendy place to live. Unlike AUS, however, AS is already in a terrific place to support that growth.
Last edited by EA CO AS on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am

32andBelow wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
alohaislandair wrote:

You still need customs and board agents at the arrival airport even if there’s pre clearance. But I’m not sure if they can just send a couple agents over to the arrival.

CBP will clear you at any airport if you call and make arrangements.

You need a plan to clear a planeful of passengers if necessary. That may or may not mean agents on site.

lhpdx

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 am

I wonder with AAG's current/future expansion plans for BOI if the current 6 gates future concourse will be enough to handle all of this growth???

cjmoeser

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:07 am

To many quotes to do;
AS BOI uses 12 gates here. 2 are set up with jetbridges that can handle anything in the AS fleet. Then ground bording positions, which can accommodate pretty much anything. Alaska sends in 2 737s a night into BOI. And a few throughout the day for turns. And, that's why I would imagine they run BOI-ANC on. Not an E175.
BOI is not an international airport technically. There is a customs facility, however it is more for smaller biz jets making a quick stop. according to the master plan from 2009 there is no plan for an international arrivals/dep. Facility so any chances are little to none for international commercial service.
Again, Until new gates are built, I can't really see any major makets being opened until these new gates are built.

sprxUSA

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 am

cjmoeser wrote:
To many quotes to do;
AS BOI uses 12 gates here. 2 are set up with jetbridges that can handle anything in the AS fleet. Then ground bording positions, which can accommodate pretty much anything. Alaska sends in 2 737s a night into BOI. And a few throughout the day for turns. And, that's why I would imagine they run BOI-ANC on. Not an E175.
BOI is not an international airport technically. There is a customs facility, however it is more for smaller biz jets making a quick stop. according to the master plan from 2009 there is no plan for an international arrivals/dep. Facility so any chances are little to none for international commercial service.
Again, Until new gates are built, I can't really see any major makets being opened until these new gates are built.

Lol, the customs facility used by the buzjets iscwhat makes BOI technically an Intl airport. Same way Spokane, Medford, Missoula, Billings, and Casper are all international airports. That's all you need to be one. And, it is 'too' many questions....
Now, about the people parked in the no stopping area....

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:59 am

Wneast wrote:
If they could somehow add SJD weekend only I think that could be a hit but all depends might be alot to have Customs before the new FIS gates coming

With FIS I feel like that's more likely than BOI-Canada, at least initially.

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:44 am

sprxUSA wrote:
cjmoeser wrote:
To many quotes to do;

Lol, the customs facility used by the buzjets iscwhat makes BOI technically an Intl airport. Same way Spokane, Medford, Missoula, Billings, and Casper are all international airports. That's all you need to be one. And, it is 'too' many questions....
Now, about the people parked in the no stopping area....

GEG had service to either YVR or YYC with some AC commuter carrier using B1900's a few years ago.

32andBelow

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am

cjmoeser wrote:
To many quotes to do;

The e75s have to rotate out of Alaska anyways so the economics of starting a new route could be different. And if they go through with running more 75s in Alaska there neighs be multiple rotations a day. I don’t see why they can’t use them to trial new routes out of anchorage just like they have out of Seattle

N437QX

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 am

New cities are obviously more exciting but I'd also like to see AS carve out their niche in established markets like BOI-SLC/DEN. As the market grows, I have no doubt they can make it work. I could be mistaken, but it sounds like WN is exiting BOI-SNA despite reporting strong load factors. Perhaps that could be a candidate for future service.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:52 pm

N437QX wrote:
New cities are obviously more exciting but I'd also like to see AS carve out their niche in established markets like BOI-SLC/DEN. As the market grows, I have no doubt they can make it work. I could be mistaken, but it sounds like WN is exiting BOI-SNA despite reporting strong load factors. Perhaps that could be a candidate for future service.

I’m hearing the opposite that they are bringing back sail year round in January potentially with them getting three extra slots

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:34 pm

32andBelow wrote:
cjmoeser wrote:
To many quotes to do;

The e75s have to rotate out of Alaska anyways so the economics of starting a new route could be different. And if they go through with running more 75s in Alaska there neighs be multiple rotations a day. I don’t see why they can’t use them to trial new routes out of anchorage just like they have out of Seattle

I thought QX was employing more E-175's out of ANC next year. Also, either Skywest or QX is getting additional airplanes (like 10 or so) for Alaska Airlines.

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Wneast wrote:
N437QX wrote:

I’m hearing the opposite that they are bringing back sail year round in January potentially with them getting three extra slots

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if AS opens BOI-SNA.

wedgetail737

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm

I know it's very far-fetched, but maybe AS might consider building an AS Lounge at BOI. They need one at SAN, too...just throw that in there.

BigGSFO

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:47 pm

Given the AA/AS relationship, their operation also feeds Dallas, Phoenix and LAX flights (and vice versa).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos