Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast
Topic Author

AS BOI focus city

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:27 pm

What’s next for AS as it seems to be building BOI into a focus city ?

Jet-lagged

Re: AS BOI focus city

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:50 pm

A lounge?

Wneast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:52 pm

Jet-lagged wrote:
A lounge?

I wonder if that might happen actually

USAirALB

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:10 am

I can't really see them adding anything else as they seem to have most everything on the West Coast covered. BOI-HNL would be a possibility but I don't think a 738 could make the route. I could see BOI-RNO...I think AS might have even flown it before. I know WN did. BOI-LAS also comes to mind.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 am

USAirALB wrote:
I can't really see them adding anything else as they seem to have most everything on the West Coast covered. BOI-HNL would be a possibility but I don't think a 738 could make the route. I could see BOI-RNO...I think AS might have even flown it before. I know WN did. BOI-LAS also comes to mind.

I think the 737 mAx 9 would allow HNL and yes AS and WN flew to RNO I imagine that will be added back
Last edited by Wneast on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RWA380

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 am

Jet-lagged wrote:
A lounge?

AS knows how many MVP, MVP GOLD & MVP GOLD 75k's there are in each market, if the market continues in the direction where AS becomes the dominant carrier or even up to half the lift, I could see that. AS likes to hit the top ten markets at least from a hub or even focus city. SFO, DEN come to mind. Once again the E-175's seem to be a good fit for this kind of route. I would love to see AS flying BOI-HNL/OGG on the MAX 9, but do the numbers work out & how many will remain loyal to AS vs flying AA via LAX or SL via SLC or UA via SFO?

Keep in mind, PDX only has 1 flight daily to HNL, 2 x daily in Winter, OGG is 2 x daily, LIH is gone & KOA is 1 x daily. That's from PDX, a significant hub, where they have 50% of the lift out of the airport. I'm not sure the flights could be a few days a week, seasonally, maybe mix them with 4 x weekly BOI & 3 x weekly GEG?

jeffrey1970

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 am

USAirALB wrote:

They might be able to do that since Copacabana uses a 737-800 for the flight from Panama City to Santiago. I think that flight is around 7 hours.

Italianflyer

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:23 am

Isn't this like the second (or third) attempt at as BOI focus city/hublet?

I hope it works and I think this time it just might. Boise has a pretty significant biotech & IT space thanks to migration of people and industry from CA and WA. Plenty of well-heeled discretionary travelers with a nice business cushion once corporate travel comes back.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 am

RWA380 wrote:
Jet-lagged wrote:
A lounge?

AS knows how many MVP, MVP GOLD & MVP GOLD 75k's there are in each market, if the market continues in the direction where AS becomes the dominant carrier or even up to half the lift, I could see that. AS likes to hit the top ten markets at least from a hub or even focus city. SFO, DEN come to mind. Once again the E-175's seem to be a good fit for this kind of route. I would love to see AS flying BOI-HNL/OGG on the MAX 9, but do the numbers work out & how many will remain loyal to AS vs flying AA via LAX or SL via SLC or UA via SFO?

Keep in mind, PDX only has 1 flight daily to HNL, 2 x daily in Winter, OGG is 2 x daily, LIH is gone & KOA is 1 x daily. That's from PDX, a significant hub, where they have 50% of the lift out of the airport. I'm not sure the flights could be a few days a week, seasonally, maybe mix them with 4 x weekly BOI & 3 x weekly GEG?

I’m thinking the massive AS reward members moving from California from places like SAN and LAX area should make it feasible soon to do HNL or OGG work at 3 or 4x per week

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:26 am

Italianflyer wrote:

I hope it works and I think this time it just might. Boise has a pretty significant biotech & IT space thanks to migration of people and industry from CA and WA. Plenty of well-heeled discretionary travelers with a nice business cushion once corporate travel comes back.

Your right about it being the second or third time, it is most likely to succeed this time with the massive movement to BOI. And it becoming a big tech area possessed to become the next Silicon Valley
Last edited by Wneast on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cubsrule

jeffrey1970 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

They might be able to do that since Copacabana uses a 737-800 for the flight from Panama City to Santiago. I think that flight is around 7 hours.

This is really apples and oranges. BOI is higher than either SCL or PTY and Hawaii is, obviously, an ETOPS destination.

USAirALB

jeffrey1970 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

BOI-HNL is definitely within the range of the 738, but BOI is essentially a hot and high airport, and PTY-SCL doesn't cross a large expanse of open-water without alternates like BOI-HNL would.

afcjets

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 am

Would Hawaiian's A321 be able to fly BOI-HNL nonstop without weight restrictions?

seahawks7757

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 am

Why not use the A321NEO's for Boise to Hawaii? Surely they have a better range then the MAX 9.

FlyingElvii

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 am

As I recall, Boise was a big Horizon station “Back in the Day”. Something north of 40 flights a day if I remember correctly, for both carriers?
Metro’s, Fokker 27’s and 28 jets, the occasional 727 or MD-80….

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:50 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
As I recall, Boise was a big Horizon station “Back in the Day”. Something north of 40 flights a day if I remember correctly, for both carriers?

I’m hearing right now assuming they don’t add anything else which I imagine we probably see more there will be 43 flights daily between horizon and AS

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 am

Wneast wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Your right about it being the second or third time, it is most likely to succeed this time with the massive movement to BOI. And it becoming a big tech area possessed to become the next Silicon Valley

There are no MASSIVE NUMBERS, not from California into Boise, not from everywhere into all of Idaho, to generate air travel demand. Current home sales volumes are worthless in looking at the question. For existing home sales, every household moving in means one moving out. Look at new construction sales, or new construction permits. Single-digit thousands statewide annually.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:12 am

It appears PSP is now year round

RWA380

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

When QX flew PDT, IDA, PIH, LWS, TWF & SUN, all from BOI they had lots of F-27's & SWM's, the F-28's flew GEG, PDX & SEA. AS on & off have flown mainline to SEA with the 727 & M80.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:33 am

The next steps would probably be a lounge and more o&d heavy regional cities. Seems like they would have a ways to go before it's a true focus city. It's a very fast growing area so it's not a bad idea Imho. Market will only get larger.

Has AS become the largest carrier at BOI? Delta carries alot of seats to SLC still and that route is pretty elite heavy iirc

Alias1024

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 am

Wneast wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

We’re still talking about an area with a population a couple hundred thousand behind Omaha or Albuquerque. What seems like massive movement for Boise is downright small for other markets. For example in the last decade metro Seattle added 3x more people than Boise.

As to the “next Silicon Valley” I think Austin would like a word. And while Micron is a definite feather in Boise’s cap, it’s going to be hard to be the next tech mega hub without first rate universities like Stanford and Cal-Berkeley in the area. Boise State can compete on the football field, but it’s not going to draw the brainpower to the area like the Bay Area schools have.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 am

Alias1024 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

We’re still talking about an area with a population a couple hundred thousand behind Omaha or Albuquerque. What seems like massive movement for Boise is downright small for other markets. For example in the last decade metro Seattle added 3x more people than Boise.

As to the “next Silicon Valley” I think Austin would like a word. And while Micron is a definite feather in Boise’s cap, it’s going to be hard to be the next tech mega hub without first rate universities like Stanford and Cal-Berkeley in the area. Boise State can compete on the football field, but it’s not going to draw the brainpower to the area like the Bay Area schools have.

I agree AUS might be farther up on the list to be the next Silicon Valley but this is what people on Silicon Valley think https://www.sfgate.com/places/article/B ... 241920.php

ASFlyer

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 am

Wneast wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I think the 737 mAx 9 would allow HNL and yes AS and WN flew to RNO I imagine that will be added back

The 800’s have flown BOI-HNL as a charter in the past. I don’t think Alaska needs the Max to make it work.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:51 am

ASFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

The 800’s have flown BOI-HNL as a charter in the past. I don’t think Alaska needs the Max to make it work.

You are probably right I just think they could be waiting a little longer to see demand and use the max 9 because they wouldn’t have to block a bunch of seats we shall see soon enough if they add it I would imagine

hiflyeras

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:24 am

A lounge in BOI? SAN doesn’t even have a lounge. Don’t get your hopes up.

as739x

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:35 am

jeffrey1970 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

BOI is 3,000 in elevation vs PTY at sea level. That could make it challenging during the summer

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:39 am

Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Jet-lagged wrote:
A lounge?

I’m thinking the massive AS reward members moving from California from places like SAN and LAX area should make it feasible soon to do HNL or OGG work at 3 or 4x per week

You are ASSUMING that they are all moving to BOI and GEG, and I don’t think that is the case. Many, many Californians are moving to NV, AZ, CO, and UT. You cannot base the routes on just those people, it has to have enough base traffic without those people.

USAirALB

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 am

hiflyeras wrote:
A lounge in BOI? SAN doesn’t even have a lounge. Don’t get your hopes up.

Indeed. There are other cities in the network (SAN, SJC, SMF, PAE, SNA, IAD) that I would think would get a lounge before BOI.

LCDFlight

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

There are no MASSIVE NUMBERS, not from California into Boise, not from everywhere into all of Idaho, to generate air travel demand. Current home sales volumes are worthless in looking at the question. For existing home sales, every household moving in means one moving out. Look at new construction sales, or new construction permits. Single-digit thousands statewide annually.

To me, the rising house prices correlate with affluence of the population. That drives traffic. BOI has become and will become a new type of market.

ucdtim17

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 pm

RWA380 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

When QX flew PDT, IDA, PIH, LWS, TWF & SUN, all from BOI they had lots of F-27's & SWM's, the F-28's flew GEG, PDX & SEA. AS on & off have flown mainline to SEA with the 727 & M80.

QX also flew BOI-OAK before OAK was ceded entirely to WN

KCaviator

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:23 pm

MCI would be a cool, although highly unlikely, seasonal add.

Americanp

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 pm

I would expect more west / west coast cities. They do not fly to Vegas, Salt Lake, or Denver… yet.

rampbro

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:46 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

To me, the rising house prices correlate with affluence of the population. That drives traffic. BOI has become and will become a new type of market.

It's also not like folks are leaving Boise and moving to Helena. They are moving out to Nampa or Mountain Home, all within KBOI's catchment area.

And is one big company enough to sustain a focus city? Last year the major customer I had in the Boise area upped stakes and moved their manufacturing to the Midwest......

FlyingElvii

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

SLC and LAX as well, if I remember correctly.

LCDFlight

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:57 pm

rampbro wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

It's also not like folks are leaving Boise and moving to Helena. They are moving out to Nampa or Mountain Home, all within KBOI's catchment area.

And is one big company enough to sustain a focus city? Last year the major customer I had in the Boise area upped stakes and moved their manufacturing to the Midwest......

Boise’s average home price is rocketing up, currently at 475k. That says it is a desirable place to live for people with money. They already have good jobs. No need to worry about that. Air service also follows people who have money.

So I have no idea exactly how or why, but Boise is booming and when towns boom they need a lot more flights.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:29 pm

No one said Boise was america's fastest growing city or largest tech hub. Reality is........ it is growing very fast and has a solid tech/remote worker industry with much higher paying jobs then in the past. The future looks bright for boi

Boi will only become a better market over time and demand for o&d travel will only be going up. It is a city that we have already seen more people moving to from California because Denver and Salt Lake City have gotten so expensive. Boi is a more affordable alternative and that will keep being true. Boi o&d will keep going up and California people will continue moving there for affordable housing and better quality of life etc. Boi airport will grow, it will never be a hub but we will see more opportunities for some regional o&d flying for sure, most likely more to California.

BigGSFO

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Also worth mentioning is that their partner AA has 2 flights to PHX, 3 to DFW, and 1 to ORD, all on mainline. That's a decent amount of seats for a market the size of BOI.

wedgetail737

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:21 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

QX flew a circle trip of BOI-SJC-OAK-BOI back in those days with a F-28-1000.

RWA380

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Had to see what departedflights had to say:

As of 08/15/85 QX served from Boise -

Idaho Falls (ID), Lewiston (ID), Pendleton (OR), Pocatello (ID), Portland (OR), Salt Lake City (UT),
Seattle/Tacoma (WA), Spokane (WA), Sun Valley (ID), Twin Falls (ID)

As of 12/15/1989 QX served from Boise -

Idaho Falls (ID), Lewiston (ID), Pocatello (ID), Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma (WA), Spokane (WA),
Sun Valley (ID), Twin Falls (ID)

Alaska flew mainline to SEA & GEG.

As of 04/1995 QX flew from Boise -

Idaho Falls (ID), Lewiston (ID), Oakland (CA), Pocatello (ID), Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma (WA),
Sun Valley (ID), Twin Falls (ID)

As of 06/1999 -

Idaho Halls, Lewiston, Los Angeles, Pocatello, Portland (OR), San Jose (CA), Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane

Route map Jan 1986 - http://www.departedflights.com/QX010586.html
Route map Jun 1985 - http://www.departedflights.com/QX040885.html
Route Map Jun 1984 - http://www.departedflights.com/QX040885.html
Route Map Dec 1983 - http://www.departedflights.com/QX120183.html (Transwestern integration) Grand Junction CO, Logan UT, Future Jackson Hole.

Alaska/Horizon combined route maps:

Route Map Sep 1986 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS091586.html (Alaska Only) mainline to SEA & GEG
Route Map Sep 1988 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS090688.html
Route Map Jun 1992 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS060892.html
Route Map Jun 1994 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS060694.html
Route Map Jun 2000 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS062000.html
Route Map Oct 2001 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS103101.html
Route Map Oct 2002 - http://www.departedflights.com/AS102802.html
Route Map Oct 2003 -http://www.departedflights.com/AS102603.html
Route Map Oct 2004 -http://www.departedflights.com/AS102004.html

I see SJC, SFO, LAX, SMF & OAK, I did not look at the schedules & I won't, so if someone wants to dig further. I don't keep track of Boise, but I have every commercial service city in Oregon.
Last edited by RWA380 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jet-lagged

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Edit: Sorry but the quoting got a little mixed up when I tried to trim it down. Putting that aside…..

There already is a next Silicon Valley, and that is Seattle.

Comparatively speaking, it’s a very big drop from the Bay Area to Seattle. Then it’s another big drop to the third tier. Of that pack Austin might be strongest and has some momentum lately (the attractions of the disillusioned decamping to Texas. Dell, Oracle, Tesla (?) )

Boise won’t be Silicon Valley while any of us are still alive, unless Silicon Valley is simply a term for a metropolitan area with a high concentration of tech.

It’s a nice city though and over time as it grows I expect AS and others to add more flights.

Wneast
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:02 pm

Jet-lagged wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Edit: Sorry but the quoting got a little mixed up when I tried to trim it down. Putting that aside…..

Comparatively speaking, it’s a very big drop from the Bay Area to Seattle. Then it’s another big drop to the third tier. Of that pack Austin might be strongest and has some momentum lately (the attractions of the disillusioned decamping to Texas. Dell, Oracle, Tesla (?) )

Boise won’t be Silicon Valley while any of us are still alive, unless Silicon Valley is simply a term for a metropolitan area with a high concentration of tech.

It’s a nice city though and over time as it grows I expect AS and others to add more flights.

Do we see AS being the only one adding new flights or see others add there ?

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

That’s my recollection also. First QX flew OAK-BOI without SJC. Then they added the circle through SJC as you noted. Then QX dropped OAK from the equation and has only served SJC-BOI.

AS also tried BOI-SJC-SMF-BOI several years ago if I recall. They ran two flights with each in the other direction around the circle. So they served SJC-SMF for awhile. Anyone else remember this, or is my mind fading?

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:43 am

Wneast wrote:
Jet-lagged wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

I could see southwest and maybe frontier adding new destinations . The legacy airlines , most likely will stick to their hubs.

Wneast
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Jet-lagged wrote:

I could see southwest and maybe frontier adding new destinations . The legacy airlines , most likely will stick to their hubs.

I know this is about AS but what are you thinking from Frontier and WN

rbavfan

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:45 am

jeffrey1970 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Yes and They do not have the added fuel reserves needed to fly the HNL routes on Panama City -Santiago.

LAXBUR

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 am

Doubtful Alaska would build a lounge. If a lounge ever appears at BOI it well likely be an independent lounge.

Currently, Boise is running out of space and last time I checked they had delayed expansion because of COVID. However, they’re anticipating this being the busiest summer ever. I also read today that Boise will be moving into the mid-size airport classification and will impact funding.

They could probably shuffle and consolidate gates on the B concourse for temporary relief. However, for some reason everyone is scattered about and co-share B14 and B16.

iceberg210

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 pm

I'd settle for the next thing being a Bozeman flight. Be nice to finally have a flight to one of our closest neighbor states after 15 years of not having one.

Wneast
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 pm

iceberg210 wrote:
I'd settle for the next thing being a Bozeman flight. Be nice to finally have a flight to one of our closest neighbor states after 15 years of not having one.

I could see that it seems reasonable on e175

Wneast
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Does anyone have access to the AS in BOI expansion posted on Idaho statesman ? That they could post some of it

RWA380

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:52 am

Wneast wrote:
iceberg210 wrote:

I could see that it seems reasonable on e175

I believe many people drive long distances between places in that area. I'm in Central Oregon & there are lots of people driving around here from ID & MT. If it's going to happen, a Q-400 route for sure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos