Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PITFlyer330
Topic Author

Turkish adding Dallas and Denver

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Turkish is adding Dallas and Denver https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 10213?s=20

I can understand denver but why dallas?

FLYKTPA

Re: Turkish adding Dallas and Denver

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:15 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
Turkish is adding Dallas and Denver https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/140 ... 10213?s=20

Dallas is a massive market with a lot of African, Middle East and South East Asian demand.

Don’t forget how well placed IST is for connections. So much of the world is one stop away with Turkish’s massive network. DFW should be easy on a 787 maybe 4-5x weekly.

ahj2000

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Really more why Denver. It’s not like there is much there that can’t be served over ORD/IAH/LAX/SFO.
Dallas is a huge local market to the Subcontinent and a growing one to Africa.

phatfarmlines

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:34 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Really more why Denver. It’s not like there is much there that can’t be served over ORD/IAH/LAX/SFO.

My sentiments exactly. DFW makes sense, DEN does not. Though I'd like to hear what the DEN community has to say about this.

BAINY3

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:40 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

My sentiments exactly. DFW makes sense, DEN does not. Though I'd like to hear what the DEN community has to say about this.

Well, DEN is still a big Star Alliance hub. DFW works for more O&D, DEN is for connections. But yes, there will be a lot of redundancy with ORD & SFO etc.

emre787

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

There's a decent sized turkish diaspora living in east of US midwest as well as the Denver region. People have been complaining that they have to drive for hours or connect to get on a TK flight to IST (and fly beyond domestic especially).

Also, DEN is a Star Alliance hub which should also help a bit.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Well, DEN is still a big Star Alliance hub. DFW works for more O&D, DEN is for connections. But yes, there will be a lot of redundancy with ORD & SFO etc.

There is of course redundancy at DEN, could easily send more and more via ORD, IAH etc. But look at the level to European service DEN has. It’s impressive and they even have Air France starting next week. Denver is a growing destination for international travelers and of course has a massive domestic network via United for Turkish to tap into.

TK has that massive new airport inIstanbul. Gotta keep adding new markets and DFW and DEN seem like natural additions for them in the US. Although if DEN wasn’t a UA hub I think the case for the flight would weaken.

A 787 3-4x weekly should be fairly easy to make work. No Emirates or Qatar at DEN will help.

Planes4you

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Funny part is this was supposed to be announced in 2018

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm

MAH4546

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm

emre787 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

There's a decent sized turkish diaspora living in east of US midwest as well as the Denver region. People have been complaining that they have to drive for hours or connect to get on a TK flight to IST (and fly beyond domestic especially).

No there isn’t.

This has nothing to do with serving the minuscule Turkish diaspora in Denver.

Boiler905

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 pm

Both of these routes make sense for TK.

DFW: Look at all of the non-oneworld international airlines in DFW: KL, KE, EK, LH, AF. Clear indication of the large O&D traffic coming from the DFW area.

DEN: Not as big as other hub cities in terms of trans-ocean traffic but it's still fairly sizable: particularly to India & Nepal. Add on the flow via DEN (which seems redundant given TK already serves ORD/SFO/IAH) and the spill traffic from western US>Europe and TK should do just fine there at least on a seasonal basis.

My guess for their next US destinations are DTW & LAS.

Sooner787

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm

I can't access that twitter link here at work. Does it say when DFW service will start?

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
I can't access that twitter link here at work. Does it say when DFW service will start?

Nope. Nothing on dates or schedule yet.

Miami

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:31 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:

That article is from 2019.

Highly doubt TK will go to MCO or LAS.

DTW makes more sense.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Miami wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

DTW makes more sense.

I’m aware it’s from 2019. Even with Covid, I doubt those plans have changed that much. Maybe just pushed a few years.

I agree DTW would be a great add. Along with LAS, SEA and MCO. MCO and LAS are too popular on an international level to ignore. I know it’s apples to oranges in a way, but Turkish makes CUN work, HAV etc. I think we’ll see MCO and LAS.

rjbesikof

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 pm

I can understand DFW because QR just upped DFW to 12x weekly (from 10). DEN will connect 2 mega hubs.

OA412

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:46 pm

I know DEN has been courting a ME carrier for a while, and I'm sure Norwegian's demise made the case stronger for TK. DEN-IST is certainly not about the rather miniscule O/D. It's going to be all about people connecting in IST. I'm hopeful TKs entrance puts fare pressure on BA, LH, and AF. DEN-ATH often costs twice as much as LAX-ATH. Hopefully TK helps bring those prices down.

LASVegan

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
emre787 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

No there isn’t.

Yeah, what? Justifying the service as a Star Hub, sure, plenty of connections beyond Denver to the west and beyond Istanbul to the east. Makes sense. But Denver does not have an abundant Turkish population by any means. Now had Ethiopian or Aeroflot started Denver, I could see that argument as Denver does have a sizable Ethiopian and Russian population.

intotheair

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Even as a DEN homer, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that there's going to be a meaningful amount of O&D on DEN-IST. But there still might be enough traffic with everything else taken into consideration. There's so much connectivity on both ends, especially looking at how UA has really grown DEN into a powerhouse in the last few years. Denver also isn't the same city it was even 15 years ago.

peterinlisbon

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 pm

ahj2000 wrote:

Denver is good for connections to/from a lot of midwestern cities. United has a huge hub there and it's in the Star Alliance.

peterinlisbon

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:55 pm

OA412 wrote:
I know DEN has been courting a ME carrier for a while, and I'm sure Norwegian's demise made the case stronger for TK. DEN-IST is certainly not about the rather miniscule O/D. It's going to be all about people connecting in IST. I'm hopeful TKs entrance puts fare pressure on BA, LH, and AF. DEN-ATH often costs twice as much as LAX-ATH. Hopefully TK helps bring those prices down.

If not maybe you could fly to Istanbul and use Pegasus to Athens. It's just a short 45m flight from here and generally pretty cheap. I actually used Norweigan to Denver a few years ago and then connected to Des Moines. I ended up passing through Denver again on my way to Des Moines to San Francisco on Frontier. I was quite impressed by the size and design of that airport, with runways pointed in every possible direction, good public transport connections and plenty of space.

Runway765

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:04 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Denver is good for connections to/from a lot of midwestern cities. United has a huge hub there and it's in the Star Alliance.

Yes, the real question is what took so long. With UA growing to 700 flights, it only makes sense.

AntonioMartin

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Once again, Denver beats Phoenix...(though not in the NBA playoffs, at least, :lol: )

MAH4546

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:18 pm

LASVegan wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
emre787 wrote:

No there isn’t.

Yeah, what? Justifying the service as a Star Hub, sure, plenty of connections beyond Denver to the west and beyond Istanbul to the east. Makes sense. But Denver does not have an abundant Turkish population by any means. Now had Ethiopian or Aeroflot started Denver, I could see that argument as Denver does have a sizable Ethiopian and Russian population.

That’s also a big nope on Russians. Maybe there’s a lot of people with Russian ancestry but there’s no “Russian community” in the sense of large first generation community like in Miami or LA, where Aeroflot flies. There’s no world where Aeroflot flying to Denver will ever make sense. It doesn’t even fly to SF or Toronto or Seattle, which actually have large Russian immigrant communities.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:35 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Where are we getting this idea that TK will serve the Midwest via Denver? This is the second mention of this in the thread. Denver might be useful for connections to the Mountain West and West Coast but the Midwest is the wrong direction.

Sooner787

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:40 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
I can understand DFW because QR just upped DFW to 12x weekly (from 10). DEN will connect 2 mega hubs.

I'd love to know what the loads looks like on those QR flights. ?

Heck, maybe EK reacts to QR by bringing their 380's back to DFW LOL :)

stlgph

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:44 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Where are we getting this idea that TK will serve the Midwest via Denver? This is the second mention of this in the thread. Denver might be useful for connections to the Mountain West and West Coast but the Midwest is the wrong direction.

1. the key here is *a lot* of the midwest.

2. consult a map.

PITFlyer330
Topic Author

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:50 pm

rjbesikof wrote:

12 weekly??? Whered you see that? Weren’t Qatar only 4 weekly a few years ago?

Now with Turkish...... thats alot of Middle East flights

rjbesikof

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

12 weekly??? Whered you see that? Weren’t Qatar only 4 weekly a few years ago?

Now with Turkish...... thats alot of Middle East flights

Ishrion mentions the increase from 10 to 12 in a Twitter post.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IshrionA/sta ... 3699761158

LASVegan

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
LASVegan wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

No there isn’t.

That’s also a big nope on Russians. Maybe there’s a lot of people with Russian ancestry but there’s no “Russian community” in the sense of large first generation community like in Miami or LA, where Aeroflot flies. There’s no world where Aeroflot flying to Denver will ever make sense. It doesn’t even fly to SF or Toronto or Seattle, which actually have large Russian immigrant communities.

Our own in house Intermountain West demography expert, ladies and gentlemen. Pipe down and read what I wrote. I don’t think for a minute believe that Aeroflot will be starting Denver at any time in the near future. I was merely using Aeroflot or Ethiopian in jest to drive home the point that even though neither would make sense from a purely O and D standpoint, they’d make far more sense than Turkish. Yes, Denver does have a sizable Russian born population (2200ish at last census count). Plus a much larger amount of Russian Americans in Colorado close to 30,000). Enough to start a direct Moscow link? Not even close.

Really the only ethnic O and D international flights I do see as feasible for DEN that isn’t already running may be a link to China. That may be stretching it a bit as well.
Last edited by LASVegan on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:05 pm

stlgph wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

2. consult a map.

Coming from IST, Denver is not useful for *a lot* of the Midwest. All of the populated areas are at least 550 miles East of Denver.

jfklganyc

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:12 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Dallas is a massive market with a lot of African, Middle East and South East Asian demand.

Don’t forget how well placed IST is for connections. So much of the world is one stop away with Turkish’s massive network. DFW should be easy on a 787 maybe 4-5x weekly.

No its not.

Let’s not make Dallas sound like Paris London NY or Tokyo.

It is a large US city with targeted international business connections, which an airline like TK will need to carve out a niche to be successful in

Pi7472000

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Denver make sense with Star Alliance and it is a growing city with so many connections. I am surprised by Dallas! Dallas doesn’t make as much sense.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

No its not.

Let’s not make Dallas sound like Paris London NY or Tokyo.

It is a large US city with targeted international business connections, which an airline like TK will need to carve out a niche to be successful in

Of course, it's not London, NYC, etc, obviously. But we can't discount the impressive qualities of DFW's international market, and yes business ties. DFW still filled Emirates A380s and QR 2x daily along with many other international flights. Still a very large market with a lot of demand for Asia, Africa, India sub continent, etc. TK should have no trouble carving out their own DFW niche thanks to the massive TK network from IST.

migair54

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I'd love to know what the loads looks like on those QR flights. ?

Heck, maybe EK reacts to QR by bringing their 380's back to DFW LOL :)

Most of the fligts are almost empty, but maybe with good cargo loads, I don't think EK will send the A380 anytime soon to DFW, But I think YYZ, IAD and JFK are back on A380 and I won't be surprise if LAX and SFO go soon again.

DFW flight could attract a big Indian crowd but TK don't have a decent sized network to India so far, and I don't think it will get better any time soon.

stlgph wrote:

2. consult a map.

Lot of Midwest is better served via Chicago with a very big hub of United also, however until the train is not operational connecting terminals in ORD, the place is a big headache, going from T5 to T1-2-3 is not very convenient, and immigration at ORD is not the fastest I have seen.

BAINY3

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Just for reference, here are the UA destinations that are served from DEN but nowhere else, at least in the current schedule (some of the ski stuff might have additional flights next winter but are not currently loaded):

Flagstaff, Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Eagle/Vail, Pueblo, Alamosa, Durango, Grand Junction, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, Hays, Dodge City, Liberal, Billings, Great Falls, Helena, West Yellowstone, North Platte, Scottsbluff, Santa Fe, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Minot, Dickinson, Williston, Pierre, Moab, Vernal, St. George, Everett, Sheridan, Gillette, Riverton, Casper, Rock Springs, Laramie, and Cheyenne.

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
Just for reference, here are the UA destinations that are served from DEN but nowhere else, at least in the current schedule (some of the ski stuff might have additional flights next winter but are not currently loaded):

Flagstaff, Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Eagle/Vail, Pueblo, Alamosa, Durango, Grand Junction, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, Hays, Dodge City, Liberal, Billings, Great Falls, Helena, West Yellowstone, North Platte, Scottsbluff, Santa Fe, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Minot, Dickinson, Williston, Pierre, Moab, Vernal, St. George, Everett, Sheridan, Gillette, Riverton, Casper, Rock Springs, Laramie, and Cheyenne.

All of those cities combined probably generate 40 international pax a day.

Planes4you

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Denver make sense with Star Alliance and it is a growing city with so many connections. I am surprised by Dallas! Dallas doesn’t make as much sense.

One word: connections

BAINY3

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:

All of those cities combined probably generate 40 international pax a day.

I almost wonder if more of the connections will be to duplicated destinations but with better timing. Let's say for instance that IST-ORD-XXX results in a weirdly long layover, or the only ORD-XXX flight departs before IST-ORD arrives, or there simply aren't many ORD-XXX frequencies, but IST-DEN-XXX is a much better connection and DEN-XXX has tons of frequencies. These seem more likely than just starting IST-DEN only for those DEN-exclusive destinations. A good example might be something like IST-DEN-SLC.

Runway765

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Does this diminish the chances EK comes to DEN?

LAXdude1023

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm

DFW makes sense. DEN is surprising. DEN doesn’t have near the ethnic presence of people that would use this flight that Dallas does.

They really should consider Detroit. They would be perfect for that market.

braniff2hav

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:00 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Is Turkish even still part of STAR Alliance (just kidding, I realize they are) .. but I haven't seen a decently priced itinerary in a decade (serious) that included UA and TK, it is always advantageous to buy separate tickets .. and then we know what that leads to. Granted there are mileage opportunities to be had on TK with UA MP.

TK will likely be very successful in both new markets - for the reason that their service is regarded highly, the hub at IST and airport are very lovely and function well. American carriers have avoided play in the markets for years now -- ignoring the destination essentially. TK will do well for the same reasons EK does ok at DFW.

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Plenty of large markets they can draw from west of Denver. SLC, BOI, LAS, RNO etc. just because those markets have flights to other hubs does not mean they won’t be able to pull traffic from them. Heck, we have connections off LAX and SFO to FRA, or DFW, IAH, etc to NRT. Connecting volume is not always so binary, just because markets have other options, even nonstop, does not mean every single passenger will take the nonstop flight, or fly to a different hub to connect.

gdg9

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 pm

migair54 wrote:
Most of the [QR DFW] fligts are almost empty, but maybe with good cargo loads,

That is not accurate at all. I think you'll find QR doing quite nicely on these flights in terms of pax counts. As for yield on those and cargo I can't speak, but I doubt they would go to 12x weekly running "almost empty" planes.

Miami

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:41 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
Miami wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

DTW makes more sense.

I’m aware it’s from 2019. Even with Covid, I doubt those plans have changed that much. Maybe just pushed a few years.

I agree DTW would be a great add. Along with LAS, SEA and MCO. MCO and LAS are too popular on an international level to ignore. I know it’s apples to oranges in a way, but Turkish makes CUN work, HAV etc. I think we’ll see MCO and LAS.

You're comparing them to a different country. HAV is the only city they serve in Cuba and CUN is one of two cites TK operates in Mexico.

Airlines have either tried and failed, other airlines announced service but never touched down in those cities. Probably for a good reason.

If they ever launch services there, it'll probably be 2 weekly like most other international airlines there.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Miami wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
Miami wrote:

DTW makes more sense.

You're comparing them to a different country. HAV is the only city they serve in Cuba and CUN is one of two cites TK operates in Mexico.

Airlines have either tried and failed, other airlines announced service but never touched down in those cities. Probably for a good reason.

If they ever launch services there, it'll probably be 2 weekly like most other international airlines there.

End of the day, IST will be expanded to serve 200 million passengers a year and TK continues to order more long haul aircraft. Over the next decade or two it’s not entirely unreasonable that Turkish will fly to the top 20-25 US markets (give or take a few) Their feed at IST is massive and they keep ordering more aircraft. This would especially be the case if India allows them to expand more into secondary Indian markets.

People on here scoffed at Emirates adding MCO, QR adding PHL etc etc, yet they stay. And I’m not suggesting they add IST to MCI or something silly. There’s a lot of potential, and based on TK’s comments, they see it.

BWIAirport

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Is there more information than what's provided? Start dates/schedules/frequency?

Brandon757

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Is there more information than what's provided? Start dates/schedules/frequency?

No, it was a very vague announcement.

Delta28L

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:57 pm

They keep passing DTW where they could make themselves the number one ME carrier

AshFlops

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:58 pm

As a Denver native I have been predicting TK for a while now. TK was trying to beat Emirates into DEN, as well as having Star Alliance hubs at both ends. DEN will soon be United's biggest hub with 700+ flights a day and 90 gates. The feed to the TK flight from UA flights at DEN will be massive, not to mention the onward connections at ISL. This flight makes a lot of sense, a lot more than if EK or QR tried to fly to DEN. The DEN airport already feels very much pre-Covid now and needs the new gates it is getting next year. This new flight isn't about DEN -ISL, it is about ABQ-DEN-ISL-TLV and so forth.