Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Man jumps out of moving plane at LAX

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:38 pm

The madness continues.
A man opened the emergency exit and jumped out of a moving plane at LAX. This was after pounding on the cockpit door. Wonder why he was not restrained immediately when he pounded on the cockpit door and allowed to open the emergency exit.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/passenger-ho ... 12963.html

JetBuddy

Re: Man jumps out of moving plane at LAX

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 pm

Sounds like a person with problems. Glad to hear nobody else was injured.

alasizon

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:06 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
Wonder why he was not restrained immediately when he pounded on the cockpit door and allowed to open the emergency exit.

Last UA LAX-SLC flight of the night on a 175 - may not have been all that packed and not every passenger exactly wants to get between someone with mental health issues and their desired intent.

johns624

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Why would he even get on the plane? I could see problems happening, but they normally take awhile to manifest themselves. The plane has just left the gate and you already want to get off doesn't make sense.

Dominion301

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:07 pm

johns624 wrote:
Why would he even get on the plane? I could see problems happening, but they normally take awhile to manifest themselves. The plane has just left the gate and you already want to get off doesn't make sense.

Extreme claustrophobia perhaps? Maybe they remembered that they left the iron on at home. ;-)

The thing is mental health can be triggered at any time. Hope the person gets the help they need.

HowardDGA

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 pm

johns624 wrote:

Reminds me of an incident in 1982 when I was a passenger MSY-LAX. Pan Am 759 had tragically crashed a couple of weeks earlier at the same airport. One of the passengers had a panic attack as the flight was taxiing for takeoff. They returned to the gate and let him disembark, no police as I remember, although they have arranged mental health counseling.

I suspect the mounting suspense of impending takeoff, and the similarity of the weather may have triggered the panic.

traindoc

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:08 am

People with psychiatric problems can decompensate very quickly without warning or obvious provocation. And many times, alcohol, cocaine and/or methamphetaimes, by themselves, or in combination are contributing factors. As an ER Doc, I see this frequently. And it seems that the airlines are seeing more of them as well.

Heinkel

Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:08 am

It looks like most of these incidents take place in the USA.

Is the mental health state of the American pax so much worse than in the rest of the world?

Or do other countries just not report these incidents?

airplanenut

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:02 am

johns624 wrote:

He could be impaired, whether mentally or with alcohol/drugs. I was on a flight from ANC-SEA last August and just as we were getting on the runway at ANC, a guy came running up the aisle because he thought we'd just landed at SEA and wanted to be the first one off. He was the first one off, but that was because we went back to the gate to boot him.

TokyoImperialPa

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:36 am

Heinkel wrote:
It looks like most of these incidents take place in the USA.

Is the mental health state of the American pax so much worse than in the rest of the world?

Or do other countries just not report these incidents?

The only other more populous country with a large flying pax is China, where these incidents do happen.

And there are plenty of incidents on buses and trains at least in other countries.

FiscAutTecGarte

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 pm

maybe he was looking for answers

JannEejit

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Of course he could simply have had a panic moment related to fear of flying, which can also manifest itself quickly helped along by the person's physiological and or mental state at the time, who knows ? I'm just glad to have read through this thread so far without anyone using the terms 'wacko' or 'nutjob' or 'who does he think he is ?'

bennett123

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Perhaps he simply got on the wrong plane.

FGITD

Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:30 pm

HowardDGA wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Reminds me of an incident in 1982 when I was a passenger MSY-LAX. Pan Am 759 had tragically crashed a couple of weeks earlier at the same airport. One of the passengers had a panic attack as the flight was taxiing for takeoff. They returned to the gate and let him disembark, no police as I remember, although they have arranged mental health counseling.

I suspect the mounting suspense of impending takeoff, and the similarity of the weather may have triggered the panic.

I’m inclined to believe this explanation. I spent years as a manager in terminal operations, and couldn’t even begin to count how many people hit that wall at the last second. They spend thousands of dollars and hours in therapy, hundreds more on the tickets, and their dream vacation is a 6-7 hour flight away. But when it comes time to board…paralyzed with fear and can’t even stand up in the terminal.

It’s frustrating to be delayed or have a plane return to gate, but I feel for those people. They know it’s irrational, that they’ll almost certainly be just fine. But it’s an overwhelming sensation. I always tried to be on their side, but no amount of reassurance can help.

This guy will most likely get some help, but unfortunately his most vulnerable and horrific moment is out there for all to see.

(Or he’s just a lunatic, I’m no psychologist!)

Boeing757100

Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Wouldn't the force from the engines cause some more serious injury to him as he falls from the plane? The article said "non life threatening" injuries, but just curious, in an instance like that, wouldn't injuries sustained be more than "non life threatening" since the E170 stands several feet tall above the ground and he'd be thrown back in his fall because of the thrust from the engines?

Revelation

Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:29 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

More questions than answers in LA, I'm afraid...

slvrblt

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:40 pm

I'm struck by how many of these incidents seem to emanate going to, or leaving from, either Miami or Los Angeles.

ikramerica

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

Maybe he just picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue?

LAXintl

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 am

Here is DOJ press release about the criminal complaint.

33-year-old Luis Antonio Victoria Dominguez faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

Soon after the plane pushed back from the gate, Victoria Dominguez “sprinted” to the front of the aircraft past a seated flight attendant and “began banging on the cockpit door and manipulating the locked doorknob,” according to an FBI affidavit that was filed with the complaint.

When he failed to gain entry to the cockpit, Victoria Dominguez pushed past the flight attendant and went to the emergency exit on the right side of the plane, where he managed to partially open the door, causing the emergency slide to partially deploy, the affidavit states. While a nearby passenger attempted to restrain him, Victoria Dominguez managed to get away and jump from the aircraft, missing the emergency slide.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/ma ... -plane-lax

3rdGen

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:03 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicag ... y,amp.html

This happened when breaking into the cockpit was easy, just open the door. Passenger was later found to be suffering from inflammation of the brain.

airportugal310

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:43 am

And yet it turns out he was, in fact, a whack job...

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/man-fa ... ne-at-lax/

On meth, no less

Revelation

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:33 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
And yet it turns out he was, in fact, a whack job...

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/man-fa ... ne-at-lax/

On meth, no less

Yes, folks, this guy might have been in the seat next to you...

The 33-year-old arrived in Los Angeles on Tuesday from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, the complaint says. His plan was to get to Salt Lake City, but he did not have a connecting flight. He spent the night at a hotel in downtown Los Angeles after drinking several beers and buying “a lot” of crystal meth for $20, he told the FBI.

The next day, he continued to smoke the crystal meth and decided to fly to Utah instead of taking a bus, the complaint says. He smoked more of the drug before heading to the airport Thursday but ultimately missed his flight and wandered the streets through the night.

On Friday, he missed a second flight but was rescheduled to board United Airlines Flight 5365, operated by SkyWest Airlines, to Salt Lake City. Victoria Dominguez took his seat and began to doze as he “was coming down from all the drugs he had used the last couple of days,” the complaint says.

The passenger sitting next to Victoria Dominguez told authorities that he kept looking around and fidgeting. He asked her where she was going, and she said it was not his business. She said he then whispered to her that he needed to get off the plane and was going to jump out. “I’m serious,” he said.

traindoc

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:26 am

As I said above, it indeed was alcohol and meth! Most of the pax who act like this are intoxicated, and usually it is alcohol plus other drugs. And yes, there are people with claustrophobia and/or fear of flying. However, when was the last time one these type of passengers was charged with causing problems on a plane?

11C

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:15 am

For the numbskulls blaming local politics (already deleted by moderator), the guy flew up from Cabo, or La Paz, spent 2-3 days smoking meth, missing various flights, and wandering the streets. He was in fine shape when he finally made it onto the airplane. This is what meth does to a human brain. No mystery here, other than how do you stop someone like that from getting on an airplane in the first place.

aerorobnz

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:40 am

ikramerica wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

Maybe he just picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue?

. Gold. Now picturing Lloyd Bridges knocking on the cockpit door and deploying the slide and leaping out the way he leaped out of the control tower in Airplane.

Impaired mental health or not, Conscious decisions lead to consequences that impact your entire life, He chose to consume once upon a time, and that decision will now give him 30 years to get himself off Meth. Let us hope he can.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:34 pm

Please post on topic.
Take non-aviation discussion to the non-Av forum.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos