Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
bob75013
Posts: 1092
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 am

Shakinthefat wrote:
In order it’s flight availability, seat selection, upgrade, power ports, lounge. WN has a way to go on some of those priorities.
WN’s domestic yield could definitely use a business passenger bump but they’ve never made the effort in 50 yrs.


Maybe because the domestic yield was already high enough to allow WN to be profitable almost every year many times with a higher GPM than it's competitors, and , unlike the legacies, not go into bankruptcy
and lay off thousands of employees over and over and over again ...
 
tax1k
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:39 am

One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4916
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:14 am

tax1k wrote:
One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.

How is it disingenuous? WN NEVER charges a change fee, regardless of how often you fly them. For the vast majority of travelers who aren’t regular fliers, legacies will charge a change fee (at least that was the case pre-COVID). Nothing disingenuous about WNs claim.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
FlyingJhawk
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:26 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:19 am

airzona11 wrote:
Maybe in-seat power would be a low cost add, but I’m perplexed by Anet anecdotes in this thread. The high value sophisticated road warrior needs power because they don’t carry a power battery or they don’t have a new iPad, iPhone, or laptop with long battery life? Power would be a perk, but I can’t see any airline losing or gaining customers or contracts based on power. Maybe I’m mistaken.

The next are lounges. Who that is a ‘road warrior’ is spending extra time in the airport that they need a lounge? If you’re talking LA-NYC transcontinental, I can see that, but WN will never compete in that space. Alaska with non lie flat seating is said to be uncompetitive, and that market is a bloodbath right now.

Assigned seating? First class? Different boarding? Is this a wish list to make WN like the legacies? Are we forgetting the financial comparison between legacies and WN?
.


Me. This week, last week, the week before that, next week, etc. And there tons of others that do the same. I do MCI-LAX on DL and it gets to the gate around 8:45am. My first meeting isn't until 1:00pm so yeah, I am suckin' down Starbucks coffee and wolfing down tasty treats, and (inspite of the chaos at T2) a relaxed atmosphere where I can leave my luggage and work bag without worrying about somebody walking away with it. Plus this allows me to miss the heavy traffic periods on the LA freeways. On the way back I'm there a 90 minutes early. Knock out some emails, expense reports etc. I've also done this at SEA, PDX, DTW and ATL more times than I can count.

And yeah, I am super grateful because I was on the sidelines for six months because of COVID cutbacks and I don't take any of this for granted. I am fortunate though to work for a company that prefers we travel this way.

The bottom line is if WN wants more business travelers then it is going to have to step up their game to attract them. If they don't then fine - they've been very successful doing their own thing.

But let's not pretend what the legacy carriers offer doesn't have add value.
 
Chemist
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:14 am

bkflyguy wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
Are lounges, assigned seats and premium class seats really that necessary for attracting corporate accounts ? For most corporations, on a flight under about 5 hours, the important things are cost, reliability and suitable flight times.

If a company set a travel policy as an experiment over a limited period of 12 months of "Fly Southwest and we give you a $75 voucher at a supermarket, or fly AA/DL/UA - employee and their boss get to choose" - what would employees pick ? After 12 months corporation can review (and modify) their travel policy...

On a 3 hour flight, a person might spend max 1.5 hours using a laptop after allowing for no-laptop times like taxiing, ascent, descent and eating food. A laptop battery will last at least 2 hours before recharging

The CFO or COO of a company doesn't care if an employee misses out on an hour in a lounge


A whole $75 supermarket voucher??? I'd still choose DL or AA, in that order. As a business traveler, what counts for me is schedule, non-stop flight, assigned seating, Y+ and an opportunity for an F upgrade in that order.


There is no "one" demographic for a business traveler.
When I was flying LA area to Bay Area every other week, WN was better because I was A-list and always got a good seat; I could avoid LAX by flying out of a non-primary airport (BUR in my case, but would be the same for ONT, LGB, SNA), I had decent legroom in Y, I could avoid flying on a regional jet (United cough cough) and having to gate check my roller bag, and the crews were always friendly and service-oriented. Oh and their FF program doesn't have blackout dates and if I have the points I can pick the flight I want.
 
tax1k
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 am

OA412 wrote:
tax1k wrote:
One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.

How is it disingenuous? WN NEVER charges a change fee, regardless of how often you fly them. For the vast majority of travelers who aren’t regular fliers, legacies will charge a change fee (at least that was the case pre-COVID). Nothing disingenuous about WNs claim.


That’s semantics. It costs money (hundreds of dollars) to change from a 4 pm flight to a 1 pm flight. What do I care what they call it? Rebooking fee? Free snack fee?
 
tax1k
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am

FlyingJhawk wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
Maybe in-seat power would be a low cost add, but I’m perplexed by Anet anecdotes in this thread. The high value sophisticated road warrior needs power because they don’t carry a power battery or they don’t have a new iPad, iPhone, or laptop with long battery life? Power would be a perk, but I can’t see any airline losing or gaining customers or contracts based on power. Maybe I’m mistaken.

The next are lounges. Who that is a ‘road warrior’ is spending extra time in the airport that they need a lounge? If you’re talking LA-NYC transcontinental, I can see that, but WN will never compete in that space. Alaska with non lie flat seating is said to be uncompetitive, and that market is a bloodbath right now.

Assigned seating? First class? Different boarding? Is this a wish list to make WN like the legacies? Are we forgetting the financial comparison between legacies and WN?
.


Me. This week, last week, the week before that, next week, etc. And there tons of others that do the same. I do MCI-LAX on DL and it gets to the gate around 8:45am. My first meeting isn't until 1:00pm so yeah, I am suckin' down Starbucks coffee and wolfing down tasty treats, and (inspite of the chaos at T2) a relaxed atmosphere where I can leave my luggage and work bag without worrying about somebody walking away with it. Plus this allows me to miss the heavy traffic periods on the LA freeways. On the way back I'm there a 90 minutes early. Knock out some emails, expense reports etc. I've also done this at SEA, PDX, DTW and ATL more times than I can count.

And yeah, I am super grateful because I was on the sidelines for six months because of COVID cutbacks and I don't take any of this for granted. I am fortunate though to work for a company that prefers we travel this way.

The bottom line is if WN wants more business travelers then it is going to have to step up their game to attract them. If they don't then fine - they've been very successful doing their own thing.

But let's not pretend what the legacy carriers offer doesn't have add value.


VERY well said
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 am

Lounge costs are probably keeping airline CFO's up at night. First we already know they can't get contract workers at the wages they are paying. Second the govt is paying the wages of the employees at the counter which ends later this year. Third - food/beverage costs are rising by alot For an industry that used to count the cost of olives in salads, this will hurt the majors but help SW keep price pressure on the other guys.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
     
    MohawkWeekend
    Posts: 843
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

    Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

    Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 am

    tax1k wrote:
    OA412 wrote:
    tax1k wrote:
    One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.

    How is it disingenuous? WN NEVER charges a change fee, regardless of how often you fly them. For the vast majority of travelers who aren’t regular fliers, legacies will charge a change fee (at least that was the case pre-COVID). Nothing disingenuous about WNs claim.


    That’s semantics. It costs money (hundreds of dollars) to change from a 4 pm flight to a 1 pm flight. What do I care what they call it? Rebooking fee? Free snack fee?



    IIRC a major would charged a change fee AND the difference in price. So if I booked a traveler on a $400 DL flight, and he changed to one that was now $600, we would be charged $350 more. SW would only be $200.
      300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
       
      mcdu
      Posts: 1695
      Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm

      bob75013 wrote:
      mcdu wrote:


      Isn’t SWA still reeling from cancellations and huge delays almost two weeks after the computer issues? ?


      Huh? It's been reeling from weather issues. The same weather that seems t have American reeling.

      By the way, tell us again how Southwest was guaranteed to fail in Hawaii...


      Southwest preemptively canceled flights and used weather as the excuse to avoid paying hotel costs for passengers this past week. Not going to win friends in business travel when you cancel hundreds of flights delay 40% of your flights on a daily basis and then call it all a weather issue.

      I don’t understand how relevant the Hawaii leisure market flying is to a topic about Southwest trying to attract business travelers. Perhaps you should start a new topic we can discuss the fallacy of that thought.
       
      KarlB737
      Posts: 2947
      Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 pm

      commpilot wrote:
      Ummm historical Southwest was always a business airline. They have always catered to business passengers


      But forgot the business travelers that wanted First Class.
       
      User avatar
      william
      Posts: 3506
      Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:33 pm

      I remember the "company plane" tag line from the 80s ( or was it the 90s?) SWA has always had a huge business pax market with its frequent flights. Who could forget the every 30 minute shuttles from DAL to HOU back in the day. Interesting that they would publicly state this.
       
      mcdu
      Posts: 1695
      Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:40 pm

      One way to lose business customers is to not be truthful with them. Southwest said they canceled flights in anticipation of weather. AA has said they are canceling flights ahead of time for staffing. Significant differnece in how passengers are handled in those two instances. The cheapest way to protect customers is to claim weather. Say it’s staffing and the airline becomes responsible for a lot more.

      The lack of an interline ticketing arrangement is not helping. When operational collapses happen, like the one taking place at SWA this month, they can’t re-route their high value customers on another carrier.

      https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2021/06/28/southwest-airlines-flight-attendants-stretched-to-the-limit-as-cancellations-drag-on/
       
      AMALH747430
      Posts: 263
      Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:06 pm

      mcdu wrote:
      One way to lose business customers is to not be truthful with them. Southwest said they canceled flights in anticipation of weather. AA has said they are canceling flights ahead of time for staffing. Significant differnece in how passengers are handled in those two instances. The cheapest way to protect customers is to claim weather. Say it’s staffing and the airline becomes responsible for a lot more.

      The lack of an interline ticketing arrangement is not helping. When operational collapses happen, like the one taking place at SWA this month, they can’t re-route their high value customers on another carrier.

      https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2021/06/28/southwest-airlines-flight-attendants-stretched-to-the-limit-as-cancellations-drag-on/


      This is THE post of the topic and hits the nail right on the head. It seems like WN started to stumble after Memorial Day weekend, then fell when their systems melted down twice in one week, and hasn’t really recovered. I’ve been clapped back at when I talk about their cancellation and delay numbers (especially when compared to DL and UA) and told “look at the weather over WN mega stations.” However, competitors dealing with weather aren’t cancelling or delaying as many flights and recovering faster.

      Some have brushed this off with “WN has been more consistently profitable than the legacies so any commentary on how WN needs to change is irrelevant.” Folks, at one point, SR was called “the flying bank” because they were so financially stable. Where is SR now??? Sure, WN has HAD a winning model. It isn’t working right now. It’s stranding and delaying more customers than any other US airline on a consistent basis. They didn’t want to have two pilot groups so they retired the 737 Classics when they still needed the lift. Now, they’re attempting to do what they do during every major economic recovery, grow their way out of the slump. Except, they can’t really do that this time because they don’t have the people or the aircraft.

      If they want to attract business customers they have to get these things ironed out. I’m not saying they won’t, but judging by their social media posts, they are incredibly tone deaf. They keep talking about how great they are and how much people LUV them, all the while they’re being excoriated by folks they’ve stranded. They were peddling “Freedom One” models on Twitter the same day they cancelled 307 flights (that same day, AA cancelled 82, United 9, and DL 2) and left customer stranded. They don’t understand how much damage they are doing to their brand right now. Reliability and good customer service are what made WN what they are and keep them flying high. Without that, they’re just another legacy with no first class, no lounges, no assigned seats, and (on the plus side, but not as important for business travelers) no bag fees.
       
      Cubsrule
      Posts: 15265
      Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm

      AMALH747430 wrote:
      Some have brushed this off with “WN has been more consistently profitable than the legacies so any commentary on how WN needs to change is irrelevant.” Folks, at one point, SR was called “the flying bank” because they were so financially stable. Where is SR now??? Sure, WN has HAD a winning model. It isn’t working right now. It’s stranding and delaying more customers than any other US airline on a consistent basis. They didn’t want to have two pilot groups so they retired the 737 Classics when they still needed the lift. Now, they’re attempting to do what they do during every major economic recovery, grow their way out of the slump. Except, they can’t really do that this time because they don’t have the people or the aircraft.


      It isn't working right now. But if they right the ship in the next 30-60 days - something that isn't guaranteed to happen but also isn't by any means guaranteed not to happen - the brand damage among business travelers won't be significant. None of us care about the whining about all carriers that goes on on social media. We care about results but more so about results when we are traveling. Many of us aren't yet back to pre-pandemic levels of business travel, although things are definitely moving in that direction.
      I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
       
      AMALH747430
      Posts: 263
      Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:48 pm

      Cubsrule wrote:
      AMALH747430 wrote:
      Some have brushed this off with “WN has been more consistently profitable than the legacies so any commentary on how WN needs to change is irrelevant.” Folks, at one point, SR was called “the flying bank” because they were so financially stable. Where is SR now??? Sure, WN has HAD a winning model. It isn’t working right now. It’s stranding and delaying more customers than any other US airline on a consistent basis. They didn’t want to have two pilot groups so they retired the 737 Classics when they still needed the lift. Now, they’re attempting to do what they do during every major economic recovery, grow their way out of the slump. Except, they can’t really do that this time because they don’t have the people or the aircraft.


      It isn't working right now. But if they right the ship in the next 30-60 days - something that isn't guaranteed to happen but also isn't by any means guaranteed not to happen - the brand damage among business travelers won't be significant. None of us care about the whining about all carriers that goes on on social media. We care about results but more so about results when we are traveling. Many of us aren't yet back to pre-pandemic levels of business travel, although things are definitely moving in that direction.


      IF they right the ship in that timeframe, I’ll agree with you. However, mixed into all these leisure travelers are business travelers taking vacations or taking their families on vacations. You can bet they’ll remember their experience this summer when business travel comes back.

      YOU obviously like the WN travel experience. Lots of people do or they wouldn’t have been as successful as they are. Some of us are just trying to point out that WN’s usual “tricks” aren’t working this time. Some of us don’t, but might use WN if they offer a nonstop or are having a sale. Some of us wouldn’t do that right now because of WN’s issues. I travel quite a bit (I’ve held status on an airline for quite sometime) so I DO have perspective on this. I’ve flown quite a bit since November 2020 (on both WN and my usual airline) so I’ve experienced this first hand as of late.
       
      Cubsrule
      Posts: 15265
      Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:23 pm

      AMALH747430 wrote:
      Cubsrule wrote:
      AMALH747430 wrote:
      Some have brushed this off with “WN has been more consistently profitable than the legacies so any commentary on how WN needs to change is irrelevant.” Folks, at one point, SR was called “the flying bank” because they were so financially stable. Where is SR now??? Sure, WN has HAD a winning model. It isn’t working right now. It’s stranding and delaying more customers than any other US airline on a consistent basis. They didn’t want to have two pilot groups so they retired the 737 Classics when they still needed the lift. Now, they’re attempting to do what they do during every major economic recovery, grow their way out of the slump. Except, they can’t really do that this time because they don’t have the people or the aircraft.


      It isn't working right now. But if they right the ship in the next 30-60 days - something that isn't guaranteed to happen but also isn't by any means guaranteed not to happen - the brand damage among business travelers won't be significant. None of us care about the whining about all carriers that goes on on social media. We care about results but more so about results when we are traveling. Many of us aren't yet back to pre-pandemic levels of business travel, although things are definitely moving in that direction.


      IF they right the ship in that timeframe, I’ll agree with you. However, mixed into all these leisure travelers are business travelers taking vacations or taking their families on vacations. You can bet they’ll remember their experience this summer when business travel comes back.

      YOU obviously like the WN travel experience. Lots of people do or they wouldn’t have been as successful as they are. Some of us are just trying to point out that WN’s usual “tricks” aren’t working this time. Some of us don’t, but might use WN if they offer a nonstop or are having a sale. Some of us wouldn’t do that right now because of WN’s issues. I travel quite a bit (I’ve held status on an airline for quite sometime) so I DO have perspective on this. I’ve flown quite a bit since November 2020 (on both WN and my usual airline) so I’ve experienced this first hand as of late.


      I hear you, but just speaking statistically, someone who takes the kids on a couple of vacations this summer isn’t that likely to have an issue even though WN’s operation isn’t acceptable right now. (And I think many folks have seen their leisure travel patterns change simply because some usual destinations either aren’t available to us period or have been too restricted for a visit to make sense.)
      I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
       
      TX2DC
      Posts: 5
      Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:49 pm

      I would disagree that WN never catered to business travelers. Their high-density DAL-HOU shuttle, on the hour, was aimed at business travelers. In addition, they had an ad campaign way back entitled "The Company Plane is on Call". Sure, they don't appeal to every type of business traveler, but it is incorrect to assume they never had business travelers in mind.
       
      TX2DC
      Posts: 5
      Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm

      I would disagree that WN never catered to business travelers. Their high-density DAL-HOU shuttle, on the hour, was aimed at business travelers. In addition, they had an ad campaign way back entitled "The Company Plane is on Call". Sure, they don't appeal to every type of business traveler, but it is incorrect to assume they never had business travelers in mind.
       
      TX2DC
      Posts: 5
      Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm

      I would disagree that WN never catered to business travelers. Their high-density DAL-HOU shuttle, on the hour, was aimed at business travelers. In addition, they had an ad campaign way back entitled "The Company Plane is on Call". Sure, they don't appeal to every type of business traveler, but it is incorrect to assume they never had business travelers in mind.
       
      Lootess
      Posts: 692
      Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:00 pm

      Niche routes like DAL-HOU shuttle doesn't mean they were business friendly previously, there is the whole "we are the carrier on the route and these are our rules". Which eludes to my point earlier. Forcing companies to use SWABIZ to book tickets on their airline versus their own GDS. Travel departments generally like everything all nice and tidy, but also want to know they are getting the best bang for the buck especially if it's on a client's dime. The competition has stepped up in terms of customer preference and prices. WN is no longer the lowest fare in many markets.

      OA412 wrote:
      tax1k wrote:
      One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.

      How is it disingenuous? WN NEVER charges a change fee, regardless of how often you fly them. For the vast majority of travelers who aren’t regular fliers, legacies will charge a change fee (at least that was the case pre-COVID). Nothing disingenuous about WNs claim.


      Change fees are almost a moot point for business travelers. Legacy elites have same-day confirmed options for no cost if they finish a meeting early and want to catch the next flight kind of thing.

      Even with or without the change fee, it's really down to the fare difference, sometimes on WN it's merely just upgrading to a business select fare for that flight.
       
      User avatar
      OA412
      Moderator
      Posts: 4916
      Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 pm

      tax1k wrote:
      OA412 wrote:
      tax1k wrote:
      One of the most disingenuous pieces of advertising is the “no change fee” silliness. If you travel regularly on a legacy carrier you probably have free same day changes anyway. And they don’t charge a change fee -just the increase in price on a same day ticket. It’s an abomination.

      How is it disingenuous? WN NEVER charges a change fee, regardless of how often you fly them. For the vast majority of travelers who aren’t regular fliers, legacies will charge a change fee (at least that was the case pre-COVID). Nothing disingenuous about WNs claim.


      That’s semantics. It costs money (hundreds of dollars) to change from a 4 pm flight to a 1 pm flight. What do I care what they call it? Rebooking fee? Free snack fee?

      Not all of the time it doesn't. Depending on the flight, I've made same day changes for maybe 100 more than my ticket price. Every airline charges a price difference, but the legacies were also charging a minimum $150 change fee on top of the fare difference. So again, it's not semantics. They were even charging a $150 cancellation fee, which is nothing but a cash grab. The idea that it costs an airline $150 to cancel your reservation defies logic. On WN I click a button and the entire cost of my ticket goes into my account for later use.

      Lootess wrote:
      Change fees are almost a moot point for business travelers. Legacy elites have same-day confirmed options for no cost if they finish a meeting early and want to catch the next flight kind of thing.

      Even with or without the change fee, it's really down to the fare difference, sometimes on WN it's merely just upgrading to a business select fare for that flight.

      And more often than not, the same day fare difference on WN is substantially smaller than on a legacy, even if you're upgrading to business select.
      Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
       
      tax1k
      Posts: 95
      Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:13 pm

      Obviously the potential factors are infinite but the last time I went through this with WN it was cheaper to book a same day ticket (I think on AA but don’t remember for sure) than to change to different WN flight.
       
      FF630
      Posts: 50
      Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:47 pm

      If WN would install power outlets, premium leg room seating for their top tier flyers and assigned seating it would go a long way with the business traveler. Free bag check is a nice bonus, but most seasoned business travelers do not check bags. Their service is on par with United , Delta, JB and Alaska. American lags all of them. Delta charges a premium because they believe their service is superior, not true. Corporate travel managers are looking for frequent schedules and consistent service. The lounges, first class and it's lousy meals are not necessary to business travelers. Only other drawback to WN is lack of a large international network for FF redemption.
       
      Lootess
      Posts: 692
      Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:03 am

      FF630 wrote:
      If WN would install power outlets, premium leg room seating for their top tier flyers and assigned seating it would go a long way with the business traveler. Free bag check is a nice bonus, but most seasoned business travelers do not check bags. Their service is on par with United , Delta, JB and Alaska. American lags all of them. Delta charges a premium because they believe their service is superior, not true. Corporate travel managers are looking for frequent schedules and consistent service. The lounges, first class and it's lousy meals are not necessary to business travelers. Only other drawback to WN is lack of a large international network for FF redemption.


      Delta just won the JD Power award as the #1 airline in customer satisfaction, yes they are superior.

      Economy+ could be feasible, even if it's just the first 3-4 rows to account for A15, and they could still keep the same boarding process.

      Free bags are overrated, business travelers don't check often, and even then they have elite status and get international free bags too. Delta was able to fight off Southwest in ATL easily because Richard answered the media question as "just get the Delta AMEX and it's not a problem". No one has to pay for bags if they don't want to.
       
      Shakinthefat
      Posts: 68
      Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:48 am

      Lootess wrote:
      FF630 wrote:
      If WN would install power outlets, premium leg room seating for their top tier flyers and assigned seating it would go a long way with the business traveler. Free bag check is a nice bonus, but most seasoned business travelers do not check bags. Their service is on par with United , Delta, JB and Alaska. American lags all of them. Delta charges a premium because they believe their service is superior, not true. Corporate travel managers are looking for frequent schedules and consistent service. The lounges, first class and it's lousy meals are not necessary to business travelers. Only other drawback to WN is lack of a large international network for FF redemption.


      Delta just won the JD Power award as the #1 airline in customer satisfaction, yes they are superior.

      Economy+ could be feasible, even if it's just the first 3-4 rows to account for A15, and they could still keep the same boarding process.

      Free bags are overrated, business travelers don't check often, and even then they have elite status and get international free bags too. Delta was able to fight off Southwest in ATL easily because Richard answered the media question as "just get the Delta AMEX and it's not a problem". No one has to pay for bags if they don't want to.

      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?
      https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-b ... fees-2019/
       
      Cubsrule
      Posts: 15265
      Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:11 am

      Shakinthefat wrote:
      Lootess wrote:
      FF630 wrote:
      If WN would install power outlets, premium leg room seating for their top tier flyers and assigned seating it would go a long way with the business traveler. Free bag check is a nice bonus, but most seasoned business travelers do not check bags. Their service is on par with United , Delta, JB and Alaska. American lags all of them. Delta charges a premium because they believe their service is superior, not true. Corporate travel managers are looking for frequent schedules and consistent service. The lounges, first class and it's lousy meals are not necessary to business travelers. Only other drawback to WN is lack of a large international network for FF redemption.


      Delta just won the JD Power award as the #1 airline in customer satisfaction, yes they are superior.

      Economy+ could be feasible, even if it's just the first 3-4 rows to account for A15, and they could still keep the same boarding process.

      Free bags are overrated, business travelers don't check often, and even then they have elite status and get international free bags too. Delta was able to fight off Southwest in ATL easily because Richard answered the media question as "just get the Delta AMEX and it's not a problem". No one has to pay for bags if they don't want to.

      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?
      https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-b ... fees-2019/


      If there’s a benefit to free bags for business travelers, it’s not having to worry about it while traveling for leisure. My wife and kids (who have no status) wind up flying without me a fair amount; often I meet them from a work trip or leave vacation to a different destination than they do. It’s nice not to have to worry about the bag fees if we’re traveling apart. But is that something that makes me book WN more for business travel? That’s a hard question.
      I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
       
      FlyEndeavorAir
      Posts: 78
      Joined: Sat May 15, 2021 10:49 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:13 am

      The WN of yesteryear attracted business travelers because of low fees, free drinks, and their reliable operation.

      The past couple of years however they have managed to make their operation unreliable and, since early last year, offers prohibition on their flights.

      I'll take my business with AA, DL and UA where up front I can get free drinks, power, lounges, and a more reliable operation.
       
      User avatar
      TWA302
      Posts: 1032
      Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:19 am

      Cubsrule wrote:
      Shakinthefat wrote:
      Lootess wrote:

      Delta just won the JD Power award as the #1 airline in customer satisfaction, yes they are superior.

      Economy+ could be feasible, even if it's just the first 3-4 rows to account for A15, and they could still keep the same boarding process.

      Free bags are overrated, business travelers don't check often, and even then they have elite status and get international free bags too. Delta was able to fight off Southwest in ATL easily because Richard answered the media question as "just get the Delta AMEX and it's not a problem". No one has to pay for bags if they don't want to.

      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?
      https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-b ... fees-2019/


      If there’s a benefit to free bags for business travelers, it’s not having to worry about it while traveling for leisure. My wife and kids (who have no status) wind up flying without me a fair amount; often I meet them from a work trip or leave vacation to a different destination than they do. It’s nice not to have to worry about the bag fees if we’re traveling apart. But is that something that makes me book WN more for business travel? That’s a hard question.


      I think the biggest thing that makes WN mine and my wife's number one is that for work WN is the number one option. We both have Chase cards, both have Companion and can literally fly our family free where we want. We fly DL second but since the options from STL are limited and require connections it is hard. Bag fees don't matter. It works out very similar but I get your point. I've enjoyed AMEX platinum perks but just feel WN has a better and more complete domestic option for us. International is another story.
       
      hohd
      Posts: 1023
      Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 pm

      Change fees are no longer an issue now with AA, DL, UA, Alaska etc. as most business or even many leisure travelers fly on regular economy. Most business travelers don't check in bags so it is not an issue either.

      The biggest difference is that on these other carriers one can go standby same day without extra charge (even on basic economy ticket), but on Southwest you have to be an A list member to do that.

      Going forward Southwest at a minimum, needs to introduce power ports as many of their flights are long enough that laptops, phones will need to be charged.
       
      frmrCapCadet
      Posts: 4971
      Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:06 pm

      Like the discussion on an auto blog. We see arguments on which proposed electric truck is the best business one. The answer obviously, it all depends. What do you want the truck to do, haul, carry, how far etc.. WN as appealing to the business traveler - it all depends. One size does not fit all.
      Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
       
      INFINITI329
      Posts: 2603
      Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:31 pm

      The problem with Southwest's boarding process that is being overlooked is connecting flights. For example, if flight A is late enough, flight B would be boarded already while holding for connections. More likely than not even if one has an A1 boarding pass for flight B you'll be in a middle seat. Assigned seat alleviates this problem.

      Shakinthefat wrote:
      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?


      My solution is a hybrid one. Cut the free baggage allowance from 2 to 1, and then charge less for the 2nd bag than what the competitors charge for their 1st. This cuts down on unnecessary checked bags while also creating a revenue stream from those who actually need the 2nd bag.
       
      WN732
      Posts: 1015
      Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:57 pm

      INFINITI329 wrote:
      The problem with Southwest's boarding process that is being overlooked is connecting flights. For example, if flight A is late enough, flight B would be boarded already while holding for connections. More likely than not even if one has an A1 boarding pass for flight B you'll be in a middle seat. Assigned seat alleviates this problem.

      Shakinthefat wrote:
      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?


      My solution is a hybrid one. Cut the free baggage allowance from 2 to 1, and then charge less for the 2nd bag than what the competitors charge for their 1st. This cuts down on unnecessary checked bags while also creating a revenue stream from those who actually need the 2nd bag.


      They would go to airlines like United who are putting screens into their seats. WN fares are a good portion of the time are a few +-$'s of other carriers Basic fares. Bags Fly Free really is the biggest differentiator from the Big 3 and WN knows that. It keeps a lot of butts in their seats.
       
      boe757300
      Posts: 1
      Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:25 pm

      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.
       
      87GROUNDED
      Posts: 78
      Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:54 pm

      Business traveler here with 27 r/t this year for client visits. Since I'm based in Denver I have the choice of WN, UA, F9, and DL to some extent to choose from. I'm A-List on WN but only use them as a last resort. I'd rather have an assigned seat, power plugs, upgrades to Business Class, and a nice lounge to work in at various airports. I don't enjoy the "cattle class" of customer and certainly don't appreciate the customers who rush to find a seat and shove their carry-ons into the bin while carrying a bag full of McNuggets from McDonalds.

      Until WN decides to devote their efforts into developing a real business traveler program with perks that DL and UA offer than I'll avoid them as often as possible.
      On your deathbed you'll receive total consiousness- so I've got that going for me.
       
      FlyPNS1
      Posts: 5550
      Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:12 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:18 pm

      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      But here’s the thing…WN has regularly carried 35% of its traffic as business travelers. The legacy UA/DL/AA have historically run no more than about 50% business passengers. So despite the lounges, international network, first class and assigned seating, it’s not really giving the legacies that big of a boost over WN.

      Clearly WN isn’t carrying just a small portion of business travelers.
       
      Vicenza
      Posts: 374
      Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:27 pm

      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.
       
      mcdu
      Posts: 1695
      Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:30 pm

      Vicenza wrote:
      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      Maybe one that doesn’t consider no assigned seats, no premium economy, first class or lounges. Those that appreciate the difference between that and a comedy routine safety announcement on a flight that is delayed 4 hours.
       
      tomaheath
      Posts: 701
      Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm

      mcdu wrote:
      Vicenza wrote:
      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      Maybe one that doesn’t consider no assigned seats, no premium economy, first class or lounges. Those that appreciate the difference between that and a comedy routine safety announcement on a flight that is delayed 4 hours.

      I’ve really missed your comments where have you been?
       
      LOT767301ER
      Posts: 149
      Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:01 pm

      tomaheath wrote:
      mcdu wrote:
      Vicenza wrote:

      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      Maybe one that doesn’t consider no assigned seats, no premium economy, first class or lounges. Those that appreciate the difference between that and a comedy routine safety announcement on a flight that is delayed 4 hours.

      I’ve really missed your comments where have you been?


      Probably on one of the thousands of delayed or cancelled WN flights..
       
      mpdpilot
      Posts: 825
      Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:44 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:26 pm

      Vicenza wrote:
      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      I would drop the "business" part, either you're a serious traveller or you're not, the reason for travel is probably less of an issue. Outside of here, there just aren't very many non-business serious travellers. But there are certainly many non-serious business travellers, and even more non-serious non-business travellers.

      I would say I am a serious traveller (being on this site should make that obvious), but only travel for business about every other month (pre-covid). But I have colleagues that travel weekly, and some love Southwest for all their travel and others only fly UA or AA or DL (usually depending on which hub they live by). The ones that fly UA/AA/DL, like me they show up early to use the lounge, they will fly a little extra to keep their status, they have the credit card, they fly the family to FL through ATL for the miles. The ones that fly WN, want to spend the least amount of time at the airport as possible, the flight is just the way to get where they are going.

      Nothing wrong with either, just personal preferences.

      I think Southwest's challenge, or hope based on the statements from leadership, is that those serious travellers who will pay extra to fly UA/AA/DL will pay extra to fly Southwest. The reason that is hard or unlikely, is that Southwest doesn't offer the benefits that are worth that extra cost. To put it another way WN would love the revenue of that business traveller who flies first class every week, but why would that business traveller who flies every week give up first class?

      Personally I grew up in an airport where we always had a connection and being a pilot and loving aviation, I love connections (two flights for the price of one). I rarely fly southwest because its always a 737 and usually nonstop. I fly DL because of the product and consistency, the aircraft variety and connections is a nice benefit.

      It also hurts WN that they don't fly to my most common destination MSN.
      One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.
       
      Pi7472000
      Posts: 334
      Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:50 pm

      WN needs to get its operations functional too. I got a text notice this weekend to expect cancellations and delays through the 8th. I cancelled my WN flight and booked with United instead. I don't have time to deal with the operational mess WN is facing this summer. Not a good way to attract business travelers.
       
      AMALH747430
      Posts: 263
      Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:07 am

      Pi7472000 wrote:
      WN needs to get its operations functional too. I got a text notice this weekend to expect cancellations and delays through the 8th. I cancelled my WN flight and booked with United instead. I don't have time to deal with the operational mess WN is facing this summer. Not a good way to attract business travelers.


      I did the same thing. I cancelled the two WN flights I had scheduled to LAS for the rest of the year and rebooked on United (and was happy to pay the fare premium) as I don’t have the time to deal with the circus that is WN. I used to use WN to LAS because it’s nonstop but I’d rather take a connection on UA and not have to worry about WNs mess. I’ll be Gold on UA this year anyway so might as well just stick with them and enjoy the perks.
       
      ORDPlanesTrains
      Posts: 7
      Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:47 am

      Vicenza wrote:
      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      There IS a difference between someone that takes one trip a quarter and a traveller that is gone 50 weeks a year. Both are on business trips, but the 50 week a year person is more likely to value lounges, premium cabins, etc... Did that crazy level of travel for 20 years and WN was a non-starter for me. It wasn't as much no lounge access or first class, but route network. Two clients had major sites near FSD. Another client called on a Friday and asked if I could be in HKG by Sunday. Add to that my wife still has family in Seoul. Didn't matter how much I traveled on WN, companion pass or not, no way they were getting me to ICN on award travel.

      However, WN works very well for other fellow business travelers I know.

      Neither approach is wrong, just what works best for the individual doing the travel.
       
      bob75013
      Posts: 1092
      Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:51 am

      Shakinthefat wrote:
      Lootess wrote:
      FF630 wrote:
      If WN would install power outlets, premium leg room seating for their top tier flyers and assigned seating it would go a long way with the business traveler. Free bag check is a nice bonus, but most seasoned business travelers do not check bags. Their service is on par with United , Delta, JB and Alaska. American lags all of them. Delta charges a premium because they believe their service is superior, not true. Corporate travel managers are looking for frequent schedules and consistent service. The lounges, first class and it's lousy meals are not necessary to business travelers. Only other drawback to WN is lack of a large international network for FF redemption.


      Delta just won the JD Power award as the #1 airline in customer satisfaction, yes they are superior.

      Economy+ could be feasible, even if it's just the first 3-4 rows to account for A15, and they could still keep the same boarding process.

      Free bags are overrated, business travelers don't check often, and even then they have elite status and get international free bags too. Delta was able to fight off Southwest in ATL easily because Richard answered the media question as "just get the Delta AMEX and it's not a problem". No one has to pay for bags if they don't want to.

      True....Delta AMEX is the key for me. Ancillary Baggage fees bring in so much money, it’s hard to believe WN continues with bags fly free program.
      If WN started collecting bag fees how many WN loyal customers leave? Not many...where would they go?
      https://thepointsguy.com/news/airline-b ... fees-2019/



      Since WN's profit margins regularly exceeds those of it's baggage fee charging competitors -- ie more profitable --why in the heck would it want to alienate it's customers by charging for bags?
       
      tofur
      Posts: 109
      Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 am

      87GROUNDED wrote:
      Business traveler here with 27 r/t this year for client visits. Since I'm based in Denver I have the choice of WN, UA, F9, and DL to some extent to choose from. I'm A-List on WN but only use them as a last resort. I'd rather have an assigned seat, power plugs, upgrades to Business Class, and a nice lounge to work in at various airports. I don't enjoy the "cattle class" of customer and certainly don't appreciate the customers who rush to find a seat and shove their carry-ons into the bin while carrying a bag full of McNuggets from McDonalds.

      Until WN decides to devote their efforts into developing a real business traveler program with perks that DL and UA offer than I'll avoid them as often as possible.


      Dear poster: '87GROUNDED', you have provided an eloquent, honest, fact based response. A company must evolve if they wish to be a full service carrier appealing to the wider cache of business travellers. Granted, I understand those living in WN cities with numerous nonstop options available choosing to fly with them, but is it enough to sway enough business customers their way? I have had the opportunity to fly with them several times; staff were very hospitable but hard product and services were sorely lacking.

      Disclaimer: I do enjoy the occasional Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with fries after an evening of frivolity! McNuggets no way!!!!
       
      Chemist
      Posts: 933
      Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:12 am

      Southwest has shown they can be profitable for decades with their current formula. The issue is whether they can take a bit more slice of the business market while not alienating other users of their network in a way that turns them into just another legacy with wild swings of profit and massive losses. They're never going to be a full 3-class/multiple aircraft types/lounge/charge for checked bags airline unless they want to perform like those airlines - which haven't been nearly as financially successful as WN has been.
       
      MIflyer12
      Posts: 9872
      Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:42 am

      Chemist wrote:
      Southwest has shown they can be profitable for decades with their current formula. The issue is whether they can take a bit more slice of the business market while not alienating other users of their network in a way that turns them into just another legacy with wild swings of profit and massive losses. They're never going to be a full 3-class/multiple aircraft types/lounge/charge for checked bags airline unless they want to perform like those airlines - which haven't been nearly as financially successful as WN has been.


      That's a rationalization that ignores a changing market. Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant have been very successful - and have a much lower cost base than WN. WN has pretty good total cost productivity (being all mainline helps that) but it fundamentally has AA/DL/UA wages without AA/DL/UA yields.
       
      Cubsrule
      Posts: 15265
      Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:14 pm

      mpdpilot wrote:
      I would say I am a serious traveller (being on this site should make that obvious), but only travel for business about every other month (pre-covid). But I have colleagues that travel weekly, and some love Southwest for all their travel and others only fly UA or AA or DL (usually depending on which hub they live by). The ones that fly UA/AA/DL, like me they show up early to use the lounge, they will fly a little extra to keep their status, they have the credit card, they fly the family to FL through ATL for the miles. The ones that fly WN, want to spend the least amount of time at the airport as possible, the flight is just the way to get where they are going.


      ORDPlanesTrains wrote:
      Vicenza wrote:
      What's a "serious business traveller"? You either travel on a business trip(s), or you don't.


      There IS a difference between someone that takes one trip a quarter and a traveller that is gone 50 weeks a year. Both are on business trips, but the 50 week a year person is more likely to value lounges, premium cabins, etc... Did that crazy level of travel for 20 years and WN was a non-starter for me. It wasn't as much no lounge access or first class, but route network. Two clients had major sites near FSD. Another client called on a Friday and asked if I could be in HKG by Sunday. Add to that my wife still has family in Seoul. Didn't matter how much I traveled on WN, companion pass or not, no way they were getting me to ICN on award travel.

      However, WN works very well for other fellow business travelers I know.

      Neither approach is wrong, just what works best for the individual doing the travel.


      I think you both are partially right but missing what really drives many of us to WN: schedule, frequency, and flexibility. Also, the stage length matters.

      Much of my work is project-based, so while some of my destinations stay the same over time, others vary widely. The most extreme example is probably that in 2013, I made 20 or 25 trips to OKC (sometimes multiple trips in the same week). I had never been to OKC before 2013 and have been once since 2013. If WN's schedule makes the most sense for one of these projects, and the stage length is short enough that the onboard product is tolerable or it's a destination like SNA where upgrades are essentially impossible anyway, then I'm a lot more likely to fly WN. I was going to TPA a lot for a period and TPA is like that. I also had some work in GEG for a period and GEG isn't.
      I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
       
      Shakinthefat
      Posts: 68
      Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

      Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

      Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:13 pm

      FlyPNS1 wrote:
      boe757300 wrote:
      WN can "want" to attract business customers. IMO, they catering to a small portion of the business clientele. A majority of the serious business travelers are going to care about all the amenities like lounges, premium cabin, upgrades, etc. The fact they push SWABIZ so hard is laughable.


      But here’s the thing…WN has regularly carried 35% of its traffic as business travelers. The legacy UA/DL/AA have historically run no more than about 50% business passengers. So despite the lounges, international network, first class and assigned seating, it’s not really giving the legacies that big of a boost over WN.

      Clearly WN isn’t carrying just a small portion of business travelers.

      Where is this info sourced, been looking?

      Popular Searches On Airliners.net

      Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

      Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

      Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

      Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

      Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

      Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

      Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

      Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

      Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

      Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

      Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

      Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

      Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

      Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

      Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos