Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airzona11

Re: WN Wants To Attract Business Travelers

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:34 am

Chemist wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Mboyle1988 wrote:

Ah. It may be surprising to you but there’s actually a lot of business that happens in the heartland. The world doesn’t actually end at the Potomac.

Of course there is. But there is a finite amount. Southwest’s model is based on expansion. They are running out of business markets that they have a natural edge in, and there are significant product challenges in breaking into existing business markets where they have little brand awareness, or a subpar product offering for those business travelers.

As I said, they have done a good job. But they are too stubborn to change - they want business travelers to change to fit their model; they are incapable of changing to attract those business travelers.

They have a natural edge in the heartland markets because the flights are short so amenities don’t matter; the have a network that has good coverage in those areas so they can often compete on schedule. That is great and all, but those markets only supply a finite amount of passenger volume. There is a reason they have moved into the large markets over the past 20 years - they need the passenger volume that the heartland doesn’t supply.

The discussion here is conflicting on a few assumptions.

Who says WN should be going after the upgrade/transcon/bus class/lounge crowd? The companies offering those perks have all had bankruptcy and wild swings in profits/losses. WN doesn't need to grab or imitate those markets. Their differentiation is why they've been successful.

Posters here seem to be saying that the market is changing and the old formula won't work any longer for WN, so start imitating the legacy 3. But the more WN offers first class, lounges, assigned seats, and hubs, the more they look like AA or UA or DL, and then they're just another one of those, with all of the pitfalls of that approach.

I know that I like WN a lot. I don't feel the need to continue flying AA for example, even though I'm a million miler, as they've continued to devalue my FF miles and shrink my measly coach legroom. I'd rather fly WN. Yet I also don't want anything to do with Frontier/Spirit/Allegiant. In fact, WN has the best traditional coach legroom of all the airlines in the US.

So the real question is - is WN in such competitive trouble that they need to do something urgent to change their formula? Or is the comment made by WN really just that they want to make minor changes/additions to grab a bit bigger slice of business? Because they already have a big slice of business -- just not the transcon/lounge business. And IMHO that's best left to other airlines as that's not WNs formula.

Wonderful post. The framing of WN attracting ‘more’ business travels doesn’t mean emulating the legacies. They are going to expand the adjacent possible from their current model, not copy the historically less successful legacies.

Chemist

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 am

airzona11 wrote:

Wonderful post. The framing of WN attracting ‘more’ business travels doesn’t mean emulating the legacies. They are going to expand the adjacent possible from their current model, not copy the historically less successful legacies.

Exactly.
Some posters here seem to be saying "The most successful airline in the USA for the past 50 years is under pressure, so they should start emulating the far less successful airlines".

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:35 pm

bob75013 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I don’t mean to be daft, but what do you mean by “keep track?” Know who it is?

Go back to the original convo: WN allows you to change the name of your Travel Companion up to 4 times a year. Who will keep track of that? No one will, especially if/when they want to have their spouse benefit from it.

Ahh, I understand. You think that executives that potentially easily handle multi million business deals are incapable of remembering who they picked to be their companions?

REALLY???????????

Such executives would have assistants to do that work for them.
And then again, do you really believe companies do that? Maybe a handful, but that's about it; CEOs and executive assistants have more productive and lucrative things to do than save $1K a year (5 tickets at $200 each).

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
bob75013 wrote:

Ahh, I understand. You think that executives that potentially easily handle multi million business deals are incapable of remembering who they picked to be their companions?

REALLY???????????

Realistically multimillion dollar CEOs are not flying any airline - they are on their private jet.

I handle seven and eight figure deals and fly WN. So do many of my partners. I don't know why that surprises folks.

But do you use your Travel Companion privileges to fly a colleague for free and keep track of how many times you've changed it in the past year? That was the whole premise to this discussion.

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:50 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Realistically multimillion dollar CEOs are not flying any airline - they are on their private jet.

I handle seven and eight figure deals and fly WN. So do many of my partners. I don't know why that surprises folks.

But do you use your Travel Companion privileges to fly a colleague for free and keep track of how many times you've changed it in the past year? That was the whole premise to this discussion.

I believe I've already answered that question once but in your rush to bash WN you evidently missed it. The answer is no. I've only ever used companion pass for my wife.

tys777

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Thread has run its course and divulged into off topic, personal attacks, etc...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos