Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fedex1
Topic Author

Just how big will FedEx get @ IND?

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:27 pm

I heard a couple years ago FedEx was expanding IND. with that how big do you think or know FedEx will get in IND?

Is Memphis expanding? I know IND is not even close to the size of MEM, or SDF. Just curious !

KarlB737

Re: Just how big will FedEx get @ IND?

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:00 pm

fedex1 wrote:
..........how big do you think or know FedEx will get in IND?

With this linked aerial view at IND is there ample room to even consider it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indianapolis+International+Airport/@39.7112461,-86.2819617,3453a,35y,135.85h,2.13t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x886ca7aaf0a1ffa1:0x248add2283fd672f!8m2!3d39.7168593!4d-86.2955952

fedex1
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 pm

I believe the airport owns south / south west of interstate 70…. They lowered the interstate 10-13 years ago….. I believe as well.

fedex1
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I thought MidWestIndy showed some pictures of airport land… but my memory does fail me!

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 pm

fedex1 wrote:
I believe the airport owns south / south west of interstate 70…. They lowered the interstate 10-13 years ago….. I believe as well.

Yes, it is being preserved for an additional runway once FedEx finishes their growth on the other side of I-70

fedex1 wrote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I thought MidWestIndy showed some pictures of airport land… but my memory does fail me!

What sort of pictures?

Oilman

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:25 am

Could some explain the role IND plays in the FedEx network? How does FedEx decide if my package goes through MEM or IND? This would help understand the future needs of the hub.

fedex1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:19 am

I thought you had airport maps showed what they owned? Maybe not!

Or was that INDY?

Dominion301

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 am

Oilman wrote:
Could some explain the role IND plays in the FedEx network? How does FedEx decide if my package goes through MEM or IND? This would help understand the future needs of the hub.

I guess it partly depends on which airports have service to MEM vs IND. My local airport sees more IND (4x weekly) than MEM (1x weekly - with a stop at BUF) and also has EWR on Saturdays.

fedex1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:58 am

I am asking what is the role of IND for FedEx moving forward… they are growing @ IND…. Is FedEx MEM land locked?

flyPIT

Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:09 am

Looks like FedEx could roughly triple the size of their IND hub:

FlyingElvii

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 am

FedEx has plenty of room to expand at Indy for the foreseeable future, and the Authority already owns almost all of it, and they haven’t stopped buying as properties become available to the south and west. Lots of GA hangars as well, I see.

BowlingShoeDC9

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:19 pm

fedex1 wrote:
I am asking what is the role of IND for FedEx moving forward… they are growing @ IND…. Is FedEx MEM land locked?

MEM is somewhat landlocked if they wanted to keep a single facility on the north side. There is a little room, but not much. They could probably do a massive expansion on the south side of the airport if they wanted to.

Moosefire

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:34 pm

fedex1 wrote:

More than anything FedEx has maxed out the ability for the Memphis workforce to support large hub operations. Bussing workers from deep Mississippi and the golden triangle is already a routine happening to staff the hub. Indy offers a more robust (albeit more expensive and competitive) labor market.

And before it happens simply saying “pay your people more” doesn’t solve these problems. Few folks are going to relocate their family to take a ramp job at the hub.

fedex1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:07 pm

We are starting major dirt work, at FedEx on airport grounds starting Nov 2021…. Once I get on the job I will know more of the scope. I own dump trucks. Suppose to last all winter long .

ilive4planes

Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:32 pm

fedex1 wrote:
We are starting major dirt work, at FedEx on airport grounds starting Nov 2021…. Once I get on the job I will know more of the scope. I own dump trucks. Suppose to last all winter long .

For what exactly?

fedex1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 am

I can’t tell you that honestly, I just know they are starting work in November dirt work, and it lasting all winter. I will post more when I know. Until we show up and see, I truly haven’t a clue. Heck it could be a road for all I know. But to last all winter, I’m guessing a little more, could be wrong.

ilive4planes

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:23 am

fedex1 wrote:
I can’t tell you that honestly, I just know they are starting work in November dirt work, and it lasting all winter. I will post more when I know. Until we show up and see, I truly haven’t a clue. Heck it could be a road for all I know. But to last all winter, I’m guessing a little more, could be wrong.

Okay

FlapOperator

Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:49 pm

Moosefire wrote:

More than anything FedEx has maxed out the ability for the Memphis workforce to support large hub operations. Bussing workers from deep Mississippi and the golden triangle is already a routine happening to staff the hub. Indy offers a more robust (albeit more expensive and competitive) labor market.

And before it happens simply saying “pay your people more” doesn’t solve these problems. Few folks are going to relocate their family to take a ramp job at the hub.

Moving forward, it makes more sense to just start using the regional sorts at GSO, ORD, AFW, ONT, etc. to keep regional freight from going on cross country trips and to avoid "eggs in one basket" events like prolonged ice storms in MEM.

Delta28L

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:04 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
Moosefire wrote:

Moving forward, it makes more sense to just start using the regional sorts at GSO, ORD, AFW, ONT, etc. to keep regional freight from going on cross country trips and to avoid "eggs in one basket" events like prolonged ice storms in MEM.

I’ve been noticing that AFW has been getting more mid day flights from the country plus all the amazon flights as well. They’ve recently been putting more East coast flights through GSO as well at night.

FlapOperator

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Delta28L wrote:

I’ve been noticing that AFW has been getting more mid day flights from the country plus all the amazon flights as well. They’ve recently been putting more East coast flights through GSO as well at night.

I'm no expert on Fedex system form, but there are lots of underutilized ramp and secondary sort space in the Fedex system IMO.

Right now, Fedex has a problem of not enough throughput, be it drivers, rampers, pilots, aircraft, etc.

garybow

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:58 am

Not sure where you got this info. The airport has been dumping landand selling off poroperty for the last 5 years.
quote="FlyingElvii"]FedEx has plenty of room to expand at Indy for the foreseeable future, and the Authority already owns almost all of it, and they haven’t stopped buying as properties become available to the south and west. Lots of GA hangars as well, I see.[/quote]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos