Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QXorVX

Re: Ravn Alaska going with Boeing 757 ETOPS and new subsidiary?

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:05 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
The story made the ADN. Nothing really new, except CEO Rob McKinney stating the plan is not very far along, and that “This is just an internal plan that might be similar to the video, it might be completely different than the video, or it might not happen at all”

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2021/07/02/ravn-alaska-considers-expanding-service-to-lower-48-and-asia/

"...or it might not happen at all".

Glad they are at least a little grounded in reality. I hope for the sake of their current operation they figure it out quickly and don't put much money into it.

32andBelow

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
The story made the ADN. Nothing really new, except CEO Rob McKinney stating the plan is not very far along, and that “This is just an internal plan that might be similar to the video, it might be completely different than the video, or it might not happen at all”

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2021/07/02/ravn-alaska-considers-expanding-service-to-lower-48-and-asia/

Dude this thing is never gonna happen. If anything he’s just searching to get a chunk of all the covid money ANC is getting. The new ravn is funded by cares act funding currently

Lootess

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:57 pm

32andBelow wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

Dude this thing is never gonna happen. If anything he’s just searching to get a chunk of all the covid money ANC is getting. The new ravn is funded by cares act funding currently

New Ravn is already much smaller and less risky than the old three airlines d/b/a Ravn Alaska as they only fly to 14 alaskan destinations, they can take on more risk without too much trouble since they don't have any debt right now.

snowzilla

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Ravn just got a Dash 8-300 so they can fly non stop to DUT. I'm not sure how many they are getting, but they are definitely spending money...

32andBelow

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:38 pm

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/07/06 ... Njjjr3WDnQ

I really think this guy is just hunting for loans and subsidies.

NameOmitted

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:56 pm

32andBelow wrote:
https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/07/06/reborn-ravn-eyes-launch-of-asian-routes-for-2022/?fbclid=IwAR1h0MnjWKmlDKiQszrMOzLBjlzKttlsCziVufBY_enPTvOmGNjjjr3WDnQ

I really think this guy is just hunting for loans and subsidies.

It's the new state sport, really. KABTA, AKLNG, A2A Rail Link, Ambler Access Road, Point Clearance, Mackenzie Point, Ravn is definitely fishing in lucrative waters.

They need to do something more with their name though. Perhaps the Ted Stevens Air Crossroads Project.

MO11

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Last month, Corvus applied to register the name Northern Pacific and deregister the name RavnAir Alaska. The DOT approved that today.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:44 pm

MO11 wrote:
Last month, Corvus applied to register the name Northern Pacific and deregister the name RavnAir Alaska. The DOT approved that today.

They are deregistering ravn?! Lmao. They just got that new plane painted!

usxguy

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:54 pm

... and Alaska SeaPlanes registered Dash Air, Aleutian Air, etc...

This is going to be interesting.

MO11

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 pm

32andBelow wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Well, specifically "RavnAir Alaska" was deregistered. Nothing was said about "Ravn Alaska" which is what it says on the planes. Subtle difference.

Not sure what Rambler Air intends to use.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:01 pm

MO11 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Well, specifically "RavnAir Alaska" was deregistered. Nothing was said about "Ravn Alaska" which is what it says on the planes. Subtle difference.

Not sure what Rambler Air intends to use.

What do you mean? They are just rambler and their call sign is rambler. It’s a different company

MO11

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:17 pm

I know Rambler is different; it's owned by the same parent as USA Jet. I thought Rambler was a placeholder name.

DL757NYC

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:34 pm

There are plenty of RR powered 757’s available. With lots of life left. PW maybe harder to find. UA has some 97-99 builds with 20k cycles 80k hours. AA has 100+ parked of that dozens have 16k-20k cycles 50k hours-70k hours. The ex US air frames 11-14k cycles 50-60 k hours. AA frames would be in the best shape as far as maintenance and history.

CarlosSi

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:01 am

Not much development now huh?

I concur. If they're to get any 757s, it'll be AA frames as some of the recently retired ones are still relatively fresh that could serve them for a good 10 years (before going a321(X)LR), assuming they run them on those long routes only and moderate frequency, unlike those ATL-Florida runs Delta keeps putting them on!

This is an idea I've always had myself; Anchorage as the Iceland of the East (I guess "West" technically); the middle point between two continents, so naturally I want it to succeed. Also 757s, not gonna lie. They definitely should play it as safe as they can and not go the way of Norwegian Air with super-rapid expansion, or like Midwest Express with a weird.... whatever plan they had.

Maybe go the extra mile and build their own simple terminal somewhere to promote shorter line waiting, selling people something like.... "30 minutes to one stop from Tokyo".

32andBelow

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:08 am

CarlosSi wrote:

I concur. If they're to get any 757s, it'll be AA frames as some of the recently retired ones are still relatively fresh that could serve them for a good 10 years (before going a321(X)LR), assuming they run them on those long routes only and moderate frequency, unlike those ATL-Florida runs Delta keeps putting them on!

This is an idea I've always had myself; Anchorage as the Iceland of the East (I guess "West" technically); the middle point between two continents, so naturally I want it to succeed. Also 757s, not gonna lie. They definitely should play it as safe as they can and not go the way of Norwegian Air with super-rapid expansion, or like Midwest Express with a weird.... whatever plan they had.

Maybe go the extra mile and build their own simple terminal somewhere to promote shorter line waiting, selling people something like.... "30 minutes to one stop from Tokyo".

They need to explain how they are going to get slots. They basically have their own terminal. The anchorage north terminal hasn’t been used since the 90s

CarlosSi

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:12 am

32andBelow wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

They need to explain how they are going to get slots. They basically have their own terminal. The anchorage north terminal hasn’t been used since the 90s

Ahh the slots. I imagine both Narita and Haneda are difficult (the latter being more difficult).

I'm a big fan of the RyanAir approach; flying to less-transited airports to get shorter lines, cheaper costs, although not so sure that's do-able in Tokyo, or Seoul.

32andBelow

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:25 am

CarlosSi wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Ahh the slots. I imagine both Narita and Haneda are difficult (the latter being more difficult).

I'm a big fan of the RyanAir approach; flying to less-transited airports to get shorter lines, cheaper costs, although not so sure that's do-able in Tokyo, or Seoul.

Also with only 2 cities on each side how are they ever going to fill it?

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:39 am

If they start next summer routes like MCO and LAS are pretty easy markets to stimulate demand. The LCC presence for Alaska natives to places is pretty small. I think the market could definitely be expanded pretty quickly. Look at all of the Frontier and Allegiant routes that have thrived that a.net laughed at. The LCCs get people to book if its where they want to go. Not saying this will ever takeoff but they could make those routes start until they get the connection to Asian cities thing going. Not sure this is the airline to make it work, but this isnt even close to the worst idea we have seen. We could see unprecedented demand and high fares down the road if people really are eager to travel after covid. Their timing could actually be quite good. The demand might greatly exceed the number of seats when covid is all over and people are trying to make up for lost time.

flyoregon

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
If they start next summer routes like MCO and LAS are pretty easy markets to stimulate demand. The LCC presence for Alaska natives to places is pretty small. I think the market could definitely be expanded pretty quickly. Look at all of the Frontier and Allegiant routes that have thrived that a.net laughed at. The LCCs get people to book if its where they want to go. Not saying this will ever takeoff but they could make those routes start until they get the connection to Asian cities thing going. Not sure this is the airline to make it work, but this isnt even close to the worst idea we have seen. We could see unprecedented demand and high fares down the road if people really are eager to travel after covid. Their timing could actually be quite good. The demand might greatly exceed the number of seats when covid is all over and people are trying to make up for lost time.

Anything west coast, Alaska will drop prices and stomp them. A route like MCO will have crap yields.

32andBelow

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:17 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

If it made any sense delta or United or American would already be doing it

BangersAndMash

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 am

CarlosSi wrote:

IBR anyone? ;)

I'm sure they could actually be paid to fly there!

FluidFlow

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:44 am

flyoregon wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Anything west coast, Alaska will drop prices and stomp them. A route like MCO will have crap yields.

Do it like a proper ULCC, charge $100 for the ANC-MCO return, 20$ each leg for the carry on and 75$ each leg for the checked luggage. 150$ for checking in luggage at the desk. 25$ Priority boarding and seat selection. As it is a really long flight, you can also make money of food and drinks. 25$ on top for Internet/IFE usage BYOD of course.

So your 100$ MCO return super cheap fare is actually around $300-$400 at least if you want to make your trip to Florida enjoyable, as you still need bath shorts and a rain poncho and as you will sweat a lot you almost need to check a luggage. So with 200 seats and roughly 350$ a pax you make 140'000 return.

Could work if you can fill the aircraft

theAviationGeek

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:01 pm

This is beginning to feel like the longest running April Fools post.

32andBelow wrote:
basically have their own terminal. The anchorage north terminal hasn’t been used since the 90s

Don’t forget that HP -> US & DL used the N gates for years in the early 2000s. Also seasonally you’ve had Condor; and, on a charter basis, you’ve had various Asian carriers in at times.

-R

QXorVX

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
This is beginning to feel like the longest running April Fools post.

32andBelow wrote:
basically have their own terminal. The anchorage north terminal hasn’t been used since the 90s

Don’t forget that HP -> US & DL used the N gates for years in the early 2000s. Also seasonally you’ve had Condor; and, on a charter basis, you’ve had various Asian carriers in at times.

-R

I don't think the North Terminal is really the selling factor they consider it to be. If anything, this "plan" is holding the airport back. Most master plans have the North Terminal being eliminated for a consolidated South Terminal only operation with various options for expansion. Now they have to wait until this whole adventure is over? Why Northern Pacific is under the impression the tired old North Terminal will be a benefit over the South Terminal with shops, restaurants, rental cars, transit, etc is beyond me. Their operation wouldn't need many gates, outside of the peak departure period (summer only, ~8pm - 2am) there is not a gate constraint in ANC. Most of the B gates sit empty all day.

*all my comments regarding this airline are hypothetical, I have very little confidence this ever happens*

QXorVX

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Do it like a proper ULCC, charge $100 for the ANC-MCO return, 20$ each leg for the carry on and 75$ each leg for the checked luggage. 150$ for checking in luggage at the desk. 25$ Priority boarding and seat selection. As it is a really long flight, you can also make money of food and drinks. 25$ on top for Internet/IFE usage BYOD of course.

So your 100$ MCO return super cheap fare is actually around $300-$400 at least if you want to make your trip to Florida enjoyable, as you still need bath shorts and a rain poncho and as you will sweat a lot you almost need to check a luggage. So with 200 seats and roughly 350$ a pax you make 140'000 return.

Could work if you can fill the aircraft

The ULCC model does leave a lot of room for extra charges, but if you look at the airlines running the model now the ancillary spend on top of airfare is around $60. Though this is a longer stage length than most ULCCs- so you can probably increase a little but even working in complete guesses / hypotheticals I think it will be hard to offer a competitive enough fare to draw a large number of pax from traditional carriers in ANC.

With the numbers above (ANC-MCO-ANC = 7,635 mi) x (200 seats) = 1,527,000 ASMs -- $140,000 / 1,527,000 = 0.092 TRASM, that's about the same amount Spirit did in 2019 overall. Spirit also has one of the lowest (the lowest?) CASM in the industry- so that number works for them. I'm not sure an airline that has to spread the fixed costs out among a tiny fleet will be able to do the same.

Weatherwatcher1

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:03 am

flyoregon wrote:
Lootess wrote:
I worked in Anchorage for over a year. There is a good amount of natives with a lot of money and affinity to travel, and not having to fly down to SEA to connect globally can probably work for HND and ICN. Good luck to new Ravn if they can pull it off. The old Ravn was certainly debt ridden.

This new Ravn probably won’t be much different. A bunch of old, tired 757s aren’t exactly cheap to operate. They better be prepared for maintenance delays and cancellations. All you have to do is look at Allegiant’s 757 experiment, and that’s an airline with reputable experience and money. This new Ravn has neither.

While a 757 isn’t going to be as reliable as newer 737s or A320s at 99.5% or better, it isn’t exactly a hard airplane to fly with decent reliability. 757 reliability is on par with most other widebodies. There has been a surge in demand among 757 freighter operators recently.

Last year we saw Delta’s narrowbody reliability numbers and the 757 is comparable to other airplanes.

Source https://airinsight.com/deltas-a220s-schedule-struggle/

B757capt

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:26 pm

Just read the new airline will be named "Northern Pacific" and they have bought five B757-200 aircraft.

Link is here:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2021/09/22 ... -757-200s/

RoyalBrunei757

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:04 pm

Actually first six B757-200s.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/northern ... 757%2D200s.

First aircraft is N206UW (27808), a former 26.5 year old American Airlines aircraft, which is currently at Roswell (NM) and being prepared for delivery in December. Once delivered it will be registered N627NP.

The five other B757s are also all former American Airlines but have so far not been identified.

Appreantly bought through AerSale Inc which has other 16 B757 to select from.Some are really old though.

1. N726WN 27623 / 792 Boeing 757-2Q8(WL) 23.6 Years
2. N206UW 27808 / 666 Boeing 757-2B7(WL) 26.5 Years
3. N207UW 32448 / 967 Boeing 757-28A(WL) 20.3 Years
4. N260AS 26251 / 897 Boeing 757-256(WL) 21.9 Years
5. N205UW 30887 / 946 Boeing 757-23N(WL) 20.9 Years
6. N204UW 30886 / 945 Boeing 757-23N(WL) 20.9 Years
7. N692AA 26972 / 578 Boeing 757-223(WL) 28 Years
8. N691AA 25697 / 568 Boeing 757-223(WL) 28.2 Years
9. N193AN 32387 / 981 Boeing 757-223(WL) 20.1 Years
10. N192AN 32386 / 979 Boeing 757-223(WL) 20.1 Years
11. N188AN 32382 / 969 Boeing 757-223(WL) 20.3 Years
12. N185AN 32379 / 962 Boeing 757-223(WL) 20.4 Years
13. N182AN 29592 / 853 Boeing 757-223(WL) 22.6 Years
14. N181AN 29591 / 852 Boeing 757-223(WL) 22.6 Years
15. N177AN 32396 / 996 Boeing 757-223(WL) 19.8 Years
16. N176AA 32395 / 994 Boeing 757-223(WL) 19.8 Years
17. N173AN 32399 / 1005 Boeing 757-223(WL) 19.6 Years
Source: airfleets.net

Newark727

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:42 pm

B757capt wrote:
Just read the new airline will be named "Northern Pacific" and they have bought five B757-200 aircraft.

Link is here:

Eh, it's been done.

flyoregon

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:06 pm

B757capt wrote:

Link is here:

I’ve been following this pretty closely and I still haven’t seen a very convincing argument or business case for this concept. Icelandair works because it’s much closer to mainland Europe. A budget airline going from Anchorage to Asia with 757s doesn’t have as many options in my opinion.

If their primary focus is lower 48 to Anchorage, isn’t that already pretty well covered by pretty much everybody else at this point?

Getting 6 757s right out the gate is probably the only smart thing I’ve seen so far. But I still go back to the fact that Rob McKinney is running the show, and his track record isn’t really the greatest, and that’s with Caravan operators. Running a 757 airline is a whole different animal.

kavok

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:30 pm

flyoregon wrote:
B757capt wrote:

Link is here:

I’ve been following this pretty closely and I still haven’t seen a very convincing argument or business case for this concept. Icelandair works because it’s much closer to mainland Europe. A budget airline going from Anchorage to Asia with 757s doesn’t have as many options in my opinion.

If their primary focus is lower 48 to Anchorage, isn’t that already pretty well covered by pretty much everybody else at this point?

Getting 6 757s right out the gate is probably the only smart thing I’ve seen so far. But I still go back to the fact that Rob McKinney is running the show, and his track record isn’t really the greatest, and that’s with Caravan operators. Running a 757 airline is a whole different animal.

Maybe it is just a ruse? Something to deter UA or DL from considering building up operations further at ANC, and challenging AS?

flyoregon

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm

kavok wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
B757capt wrote:

Link is here:

Maybe it is just a ruse? Something to deter UA or DL from considering building up operations further at ANC, and challenging AS?

That could be, but I think challenging Alaska would be a death wish for Ravn with their established/hoping to be established code share.

GlobalAirways

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:00 pm

If wish them the best and I love the 757. That being said it's an old aircraft and has increasingly poor dispatch reliability at most carriers. I wonder who they will partner with in Japan and Korea who can fix 757's?

sunking737

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

While these 757 maybe old. We have 2 DC-8-73 flying out of MIA, plus how many 747-200F are now back to flying the world hauling cargo???

32andBelow

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 pm

kavok wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
B757capt wrote:

Link is here:

UA DL and AA all fly 757s, 767s, and 787s into anchorage which feed from the whole lower 48 and beyond. They aren’t scared at all.

Will someone explain how they are going to acquire slots in Asia. And how feeding a couple of Asian markets to a couple of North American markets is going to fill planes?

Cardude2

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

concerning note, N260AS dosent even have engines (check flickr)

CarlosSi

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:24 pm

They almost don’t pick the oldest 757s available. Dunno if cargo is really going to bid high for those low time 757s.

Spacepope

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Cardude2 wrote:

If discussions on other 757s with non-working engines here on a.net are any indication, it's not too much of a hurdle to overcome.

Cardude2

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 am

Spacepope wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

If discussions on other 757s with non-working engines here on a.net are any indication, it's not too much of a hurdle to overcome.

I know but engines ain't cheap so that jet might not be in the running of picks and nor is the first one on the list that was previously owned by ASL Ireland because that's a pw.

Cardude2

Re: Northern Pacific Airways discussion thread

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:14 am

also thank you mods for renaming this chat

airlinepeanuts

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:15 am

AS can do NRT from ANC with the MAX, wonder if they will.

Cardude2

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:33 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:

they've been avoiding international travel as of late, but they could (they even have the lounge).

Cardude2

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 am

read this article and it says they can start operation as soon as the summer of 2022. Also no old AA business class, it will be premium economy (probably like what Alaska and AA have on their 737s)
https://onemileatatime.com/news/norther ... c-airways/

airlinepeanuts

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:48 am

Cardude2 wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

they've been avoiding international travel as of late, but they could (they even have the lounge).

Haven't they just recently announced Belize?

CX747

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 am

sunking737 wrote:
While these 757 maybe old. We have 2 DC-8-73 flying out of MIA, plus how many 747-200F are now back to flying the world hauling cargo???

Couldn't agree with you more. Age is a number. What are the hours/cycles? What is the maintenance history? What are we really looking to do and what is our operating arena?

Also, how much money do we have? If I can get 6 757s instead of 3 A321neos well, that's opening up possibilities that "new" can't compete with.

On the age thing again one "learnable lesson" moment. In 2001, the USN was leading the way on airstrikes in Afghanistan. The carrier launching the strikes had 1 F-14A squadron and 3 F/A-18C Squadrons. Which jets do you think hauled more iron, dropped more iron, buddy lased more iron and led the charge? It would be the 1972/73 fiscal year paid for F-14As. Analog gauges, battery powered hand held GPS units doing the hard work over glass cockpits and decades newer instrumentation.

FlyingElvii

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 am

Using Icelandair as an example, “The Fish Must Fly”… Theoretically, this could work. Practically however, it would all depend on execution.

VLCC to Asia, with an already existing cargo traffic base. Dirt-cheap aircraft leased at barely above already depressed scrap beer can prices, with plenty of available parts. 757 is more cargo capable than an expensive MAX, as well. The 757 is already a fairly efficient airplane, so that is less of a factor as well.

Low utilization that can be geared up for seasonable demand as needed. If anyone but RAVN Management we’re running it, I think it could be a winner in the long term.

Less than daily services, and a US Domestic first class for Very Long Haul LCC is just fine

32andBelow

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:11 am

Comparing it to Iceland is pointless. The market is way different/smaller/more spread out

Cardude2

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Haven't they just recently announced Belize?

they did but they have always been big in Central America. Otherwise, their international presence is non-exsistent.

Cardude2

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Found on this youtube video at 4:04 a map with the possible routes Northern Pacific Airways can fly with their 757's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFt6k8CSOVk

roadrunner165

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:02 pm

Does anyone know where they are getting their financing?

I only ask because a article in the Alaska Landmine said recently the Permanent Fund will not disclose where $200 million set aside for Alaska businesses is invested.

I have no evidence to support a connection - but I wonder who in their right mind would back a crazy idea like this without some sort of government guarantee or “free money”. Alaska is full of big ideas that never pan out - usually with a few making a hefty profit regardless of the outcome.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos