Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fliplot

Re: Irish 7/21: I remember that Summer in Dublin

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Interesting that you think Virgin's involvment was not a factor. BA has on more than one ocassion tried to destroy Virgin to protect its lucrative transatlantic services. Virgin building a regional network would have been a threat!
EI were aware of every cent of revenue generated by Stobart and were heavily involved in day to day operations and management there. I know at least one EI captain who did a stint in Stobart operations.
We have noted here many times that some regional services needed jet operations yet EI are replacing like with like.
You have no way of knowing what Emerald bid, neither do I but I wonder if Stobart actually got the opportunity to bid at all?
Who knows?

OA260

Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:17 pm

An unbuilt version of DublinAirport. A 1960s artist's impression of T1 with 3 boarding gate piers.

www.twitter.com/dublinairport

shamrock350

Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:34 pm

First Aer Lingus A330 has been re-registered for the UK operations. EI-ELA becomes G-EILA.

https://twitter.com/FlyingIreland/statu ... 76616?s=20

davidjohnson6

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:10 am

Waterford loses funding for runway extension
https://www.munster-express.ie/front-pa ... rt-future/

OA260

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:50 am

An interesting read and will be eager to hear any other bits of info that come out over the coming months as the process pans out.

Former Aer Lingus regional operator Stobart Air is placed in liquidation
Staff tell judge of concerns over wages and ownership structure

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 18287.html

BrianDromey

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:56 am

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0705/12332 ... ers-covid/
70% of all cases are now Delta - which begs the question about travel restrictions? Were the seeds set before the variant was identified as an issue? Did all the original cases come over the land border? Did individuals not compete home quarantine properly? If the goal of arrivals testing, home or hotel quarantine is to keep variants out, the current approach is clearly not working. Is a more robust system of testing and sequencing pre and post travel preferable to the current approach? Especially given the open border with a non-EU country?

shamrock350 wrote:
First Aer Lingus A330 has been re-registered for the UK operations. EI-ELA becomes G-EILA.

https://twitter.com/FlyingIreland/statu ... 76616?s=20

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiments on the twitter post, but Barbados has never been tried from Dublin, even in the best of times. We have been quick to call out EI for "putting all their eggs in one basket" and focussing too much on the US for many years - it really does seem that the economics of routes outside North America just weren't there from Dublin. Why would they go to the trouble of a new base, a new AOC and all the rest if they could just operate DUB-BGI? I wish them all the best with this venture.

Fliplot

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:03 am

I don't belueve that EI at NAN is a direct result of covid. I think EI is the IAG carrier best suited to challenge any moves by Virgin at MAN. IAG will do anything to protect its transatlantic revenues.
Just my opinion.

OA260

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:07 am

Covid travel certificates may arrive in the post within days

Digital Covid Certificates for international travel may be arriving in letter boxes in the coming days as the Government ramps up plans to meet its July 19 deadline.
It is also expected EU travel passes will be used to pave the way for the return of indoor dining.

www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavir ... 19049.html

Will be interesting to see if this happens and the volume they dispatch.

dstc47

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Travel by air is beginning to look possible for the elder age group. Whether they will want to return in large numbers, given the reluctance to use public transport in evidence in many areas we will see.

Covid certs for those vaccinated by G.P.'s, mainly the over 70's, and much more recently by Pharmacists, will be issued by letter through the post.
Presumably the G.P's will handle the mailshot.

For those dealt with by the HSE, an email will be issued.
As the HSE systems may still be affected by the cyberattack, perhaps the letter may be a faster option.

Phen

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:49 pm

dstc47 wrote:
As the HSE systems may still be affected by the cyberattack, perhaps the letter may be a faster option.

I understand the HSE vaccine portal and associated infrastructure is managed by IBM (second hand information but I've no reason to believe its not accurate) and it has been said all along throughout the cyberattack that the vaccine system was not affected so I would hope that it will be relatively straightforward to get those emails out. But on the other hand supposedly GP access to the system is impacted by the cyberattack so I'd expect this is where delays may occur for people who got their vaccine with their GP.

But the Tánaiste said just now on RTÉ radio that there will be a helpline set up to assist those who have not received their certificate so hopefully any delays will be minimal or easily sorted out. He did reiterate that despite public health advice, non-vaccinated people will be able to travel on the basis of having a negative test result. Rightly so in my opinion - I know the CMO has his job to do and that is expected and is fine, but it is not for him to subvert or undermine EU law and policy which is that PCR tests can be a basis for a DCC for travel. People are not stupid - if someone is unvaccinated and worried about contracting covid while travelling abroad then they can simply decide not to travel. The CMO doesn't need to contradict the Government publicly on the issue and create even more confusion than there already is.

Fliplot

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Except that unvaccinated people are traveling right now! So for some no rules apply. And while the EU rules apply in general individual countries have some leeway. The sooner the certificates appear the better and it is great that the 18/35 year olds sre finally getting vaccinated.

OA260

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:16 pm

Phen wrote:
dstc47 wrote:

I understand the HSE vaccine portal and associated infrastructure is managed by IBM (second hand information but I've no reason to believe its not accurate) and it has been said all along throughout the cyberattack that the vaccine system was not affected so I would hope that it will be relatively straightforward to get those emails out. But on the other hand supposedly GP access to the system is impacted by the cyberattack so I'd expect this is where delays may occur for people who got their vaccine with their GP.

But the Tánaiste said just now on RTÉ radio that there will be a helpline set up to assist those who have not received their certificate so hopefully any delays will be minimal or easily sorted out. He did reiterate that despite public health advice, non-vaccinated people will be able to travel on the basis of having a negative test result. Rightly so in my opinion - I know the CMO has his job to do and that is expected and is fine, but it is not for him to subvert or undermine EU law and policy which is that PCR tests can be a basis for a DCC for travel. People are not stupid - if someone is unvaccinated and worried about contracting covid while travelling abroad then they can simply decide not to travel. The CMO doesn't need to contradict the Government publicly on the issue and create even more confusion than there already is.

When the helpline opens anyone wanting to travel soon after the 19/7 should call to make sure they have their email address loaded. Apparently those that gave their emails when they went for the first vaccine many have been either entered in wrongly or have been wiped off the system ! Email address needs to be entered into the primary email section of the portal profile.

Looks like Aer Lingus Regional are further cutting routes , frequencies . The CFN and KIR are being removed from sale until 31/1 . Now that may change should a suitable alternative come along.

DUB - IOM / NQY
SNN - BHX

Some axed from 31/10 - 12/6 . So major changes there along with other routes .

David_itl

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Find it odd that the EI A330 has "registered owners" Aer Lingus (UK) Ltd as expected but the address is not in Belfast but at MAN. I thought you don't need to necessarily have to use the airport you will be predominantly flying from as the "registered" address of the aircraft?

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:51 pm

David_itl wrote:
Find it odd that the EI A330 has "registered owners" Aer Lingus (UK) Ltd as expected but the address is not in Belfast but at MAN. I thought you don't need to necessarily have to use the airport you will be predominantly flying from as the "registered" address of the aircraft?

I doubt that's the reason, look at Ryanair, aircraft all over the place.
Where is the main HQ for this, I'd guess it's in Manchester anyway.

David_itl

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:59 pm

It's all been set up with HQ at Belfast City, I looked at BA Cityflyer as I knew they are based in Didbury to see what they do and aircraft are registered there which is why I'm a bit curious as to why have the MAN address for Aer Lingus UK

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Aer Lingus UK is formally Aer Lingus NI which was set up in 2012 and has been dormant for many years before been reactivated to file for US DOT approval in December last.

Quick way to move forward. They may well change address to Manchester in time.

OA260

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:03 am

ASL sees lift from cargo offset by passenger cuts due to Covid

Dublin-based carrier ASL has seen an uplift in cargo traffic during the pandemic offset by a hit to its passenger services, according to chief financial officer Mark O’Kelly.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 23088.html

JannEejit

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:25 am

BDKLEZ wrote:
Are we sure this is real? The phone number contains the international country code for Spain. I was pretty certain that Swords/Spain aren’t very close, or am I missing something I’m not aware of?

OA260 wrote:
Open letter from Ryanair to the transport minister

And since when does "himself" use a seismograph to sign his letters ?

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:26 am

The Emerald Airlines website is now live:
https://www.emeraldairlines.com/

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Based on comments today home quarantine for UK arrivals (fully vaccinated) is expected to end from 19th July in line with EU travel restrictions easing.

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:48 pm

JannEejit wrote:
And since when does "himself" use a seismograph to sign his letters ?

Hahahahaha!! :lol:

AmricanShamrok wrote:
The Emerald Airlines website is now live:
https://www.emeraldairlines.com/

Looks good!

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Based on comments today home quarantine for UK arrivals (fully vaccinated) is expected to end from 19th July in line with EU travel restrictions easing.

Well that makes sense, since you can just stroll across the border right now.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Vicenza

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Phen wrote:

He did reiterate that despite public health advice, non-vaccinated people will be able to travel on the basis of having a negative test result. Rightly so in my opinion

As long as you recognise that one can be infected between getting the test, and getting the result and so it is effectively meaningless.

alancostello

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Phen wrote:

He did reiterate that despite public health advice, non-vaccinated people will be able to travel on the basis of having a negative test result. Rightly so in my opinion

As long as you recognise that one can be infected between getting the test, and getting the result and so it is effectively meaningless.

It is not meaningless, it is an attempt at risk mitigation where essentially no other measures exist. Given that symptoms and a person's infectiousness doesn't generally begin until at least 3 days after exposure, you're just trying to remove as much infectious people in a confined space, if they do get infected and develop symptoms it'll likely happen after the flight. This all assumes that a person is truthful in honest in their passenger attestation during checkin that they've got no symptoms.

OA260

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:01 am

Avolon’s Credit Rating Outlook Improves to Stable

DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Avolon, the international aircraft leasing company, issues an update for the second quarter of 2021 (‘Q2’).

Q2 FLEET METRICS & BUSINESS HIGHLIGHTS

Executed a total of 48 lease transactions in the quarter, comprising new aircraft leases, follow-on leases and lease extensions;
Sold 3 aircraft, and entered into Letters of Intent for the sale of 12 owned aircraft during the quarter;
Delivered a total of 8 new aircraft to 6 customers and transitioned 5 aircraft to follow-on lessees;
Ended second quarter with a total of 149 airline customers operating in 62 countries; and
Owned and managed fleet of 581 aircraft at quarter end, with total orders and commitments for 256 fuel-efficient, new technology aircraft.

www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210707 ... -to-Stable

al2637

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:01 am

Some anecdotal evidence from a few expat groups I'm a member of, authorities in Dublin have been accepting QR codes (or at least the human readable form of the data on the QR code) from inbound travelers issued in other EU states.  Not sure this is policy, a mistake, or just some people getting lucky!

BrianDromey

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 am

alancostello wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Phen wrote:

It is not meaningless, it is an attempt at risk mitigation where essentially no other measures exist. Given that symptoms and a person's infectiousness doesn't generally begin until at least 3 days after exposure, you're just trying to remove as much infectious people in a confined space, if they do get infected and develop symptoms it'll likely happen after the flight. This all assumes that a person is truthful in honest in their passenger attestation during checkin that they've got no symptoms.

There really is not one 'silver bullet' with this virus. There will always be a risk, but by having a selection of protective measures the risks can be dramatically reduced. Australia is clearly very concerned about the spread of Delta in the population, where just 7% of the population are vaccinated. Its a shame they didn't keep the pedal to the metal with vaccination while case rates were non-existent in the community. Such is the nature of viral replication and human nature, that no one action or single-minded approach will work indefinitely. For travel we are looking at Social Distancing + Masks + Hand Hygiene + Vaccine + Negative Test ± Isolation on arrival.

I have to fall on my sword a little here and admit that closing borders and MHQ alone does not seem to be a foolproof strategy. What for travel then? I think we go back to testing. We need do as much testing as possible and be vigilant for infectivity trends and variants.

ClassicLover

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:22 am

Aer Lingus have partnered with Qatar Airways?

From today's e-mail with the latest AerClub offers...

"See more of the world with Qatar Airways
We are delighted to offer you an extended global network with our partner, Qatar Airways. Travel safely with them from Dublin and explore more than 140 destinations including Seychelles, Maldives, Phuket and many more."

Clicking it takes you straight to the Qatar Airways Ireland webpage.

I really didn't expect that!

OA260

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Aer Lingus have partnered with Qatar Airways?

From today's e-mail with the latest AerClub offers...

"See more of the world with Qatar Airways
We are delighted to offer you an extended global network with our partner, Qatar Airways. Travel safely with them from Dublin and explore more than 140 destinations including Seychelles, Maldives, Phuket and many more."

Clicking it takes you straight to the Qatar Airways Ireland webpage.

I really didn't expect that!

Got that this morning and deleted it. Its nothing more then a link to the website and nothing else. With QR having a stake in IAG its not a real surprise but I dont see anything about them becoming a AerClub AVIOS earning partner etc... Maybe that will come but currently its as useful as them adding a link to any other airline company. Its more advertising then real benefit.

Phen

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am

Vicenza wrote:
Phen wrote:

One may also choose to stay at home and not travel at all if one is worried about getting infected or picking it up from other travellers who may have been infected ;)

ClassicLover

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am

OA260 wrote:
Got that this morning and deleted it. Its nothing more then a link to the website and nothing else. With QR having a stake in IAG its not a real surprise but I dont see anything about them becoming a AerClub AVIOS earning partner etc... Maybe that will come but currently its as useful as them adding a link to any other airline company. Its more advertising then real benefit.

I completely agree, that's what I made of it as well. If you're going to funnel people over to a partner, then it should have some kind of benefit for AerClub members. Earning Avios and Tier Points on Qatar would be a start... I'd say that would make some people re-think using Emirates and Etihad for their flights east.

JannEejit

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Apologies if already covered but where is Emerald acquiring it's ATR fleet from ? How many are they getting, are they new or old, are they indeed ex Stobart and was that always going to be the intention ? If ex Stobart, will they remain in "old" EI livery or go to the new IAG era white uniform ?

JannEejit

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Apologies if already covered but where is Emerald acquiring it's ATR fleet from ? How many are they getting, are they new or old, are they indeed ex Stobart and was that always going to be the intention ? If ex Stobart, will they remain in "old" EI livery or go to the new IAG era white uniform ?

OA260

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 pm

JannEejit wrote:

A few are coming from Australia

Two ex-Virgin turboprops help launch Ireland's newest airline
The nimble ATR 72 aircraft will soon be darting across the Emerald Isle instead of the Aussie outback.

www.executivetraveller.com/news/two-ex- ... st-airline

EI321

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm

JannEejit wrote:

Apart from some coming from Virgin Australia their website only mentions ATR72-600s

Is the 72-600 able to fly comfortably from Donegal? I assumed the runway there was the reason Stobart operated a single 42-600.

I hope the emerald venture works out, I'd imagine they will benefit from lower aircraft leases.

Clydenairways

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:40 pm

EI321 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Apart from some coming from Virgin Australia their website only mentions ATR72-600s

Is the 72-600 able to fly comfortably from Donegal? I assumed the runway there was the reason Stobart operated a single 42-600.

I hope the emerald venture works out, I'd imagine they will benefit from lower aircraft leases.

Well Donegal like Kerry is a PSO so it would have to be put to tender, its not part of the EI contract. Loganair could potentially win that bid with the Saab 340.

JannEejit

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:20 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
EI321 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Well Donegal like Kerry is a PSO so it would have to be put to tender, its not part of the EI contract. Loganair could potentially win that bid with the Saab 340.

Thanks for the info folks, so I'll presume 'new' livery then. Oh and in reference to a Loganair Saab 340 operating PSO within Ireland; these are also currently being phased out to be gradually replaced by ATR-42 fleet, admittedly disrupted by the ongoing pandemic. The Saabs are on average over 30 years old now.

TUGMASTER

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Would take a Saab340/2000 over any ATR anyday.
Superior ride IMHO.!

Vicenza

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:10 pm

Phen wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Phen wrote:

One may also choose to stay at home and not travel at all if one is worried about getting infected or picking it up from other travellers who may have been infected ;)

Indeed, but that was not the point of my comment, as I imagine you were very aware of.

conflats

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
EI321 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Does brexit not come into play here with a UK registered aircraft operating internal EU flights? Stobart had a few atrs to be re-registered onto UK reg to operate out of Belfast

Phen

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:27 pm

conflats wrote:
Does brexit not come into play here with a UK registered aircraft operating internal EU flights? Stobart had a few atrs to be re-registered onto UK reg to operate out of Belfast

Its probably quite complex but I know EI decided to go with Aer Lingus "UK" for the Manchester operation with a standalone UK AOC to avoid any potential complications after the completion of Brexit at the start of this year. At the same time however you've had mainline Aer Lingus "Teoranta" operating domestic UK flights all along from BHD-LHR and now temporarily at least from BHD to MAN, BHX and EDI. Flight crew have even had to do specific courses for conversion to the UK AOC for the MAN TA ops. And I know that crews transferring to the UK will have to exchange their IAA EASA licences for UK CAA licences perhaps not right away but likely in a year or two at least. So with the UK domestic operation however still continuing as normal, I'm not sure if a UK AOC was really essential for the MAN operation? I know that doesn't answer your question but I'd be curious myself to understand how it all works from a regulatory point of view if someone knows.

David_itl

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm

It is absolutely essential as one of the things preventing US Citizens from booking seats was (hint, read that last word again!) the lack of a UK AOC and that EI as an Irish carrier would not have been permitted to fly to the States out of the UK as I believe the US-UK open skies treaty doesn't allow for EU operators to enter the market.

Phen

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 pm

David_itl wrote:
It is absolutely essential as one of the things preventing US Citizens from booking seats was (hint, read that last word again!) the lack of a UK AOC and that EI as an Irish carrier would not have been permitted to fly to the States out of the UK as I believe the US-UK open skies treaty doesn't allow for EU operators to enter the market.

Ah yes OK that makes sense. There still seems to be that issue, looking on the EI website there now, you can do MAN-MCO-MAN returning on the 23rd November but you can't buy a one-way MCO-MAN for that same flight. Hopefully that will be sorted out soon.

Fliplot

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 pm

There is too much fluff around the UK operation and I don't know why. From the 1st January 2021 any EU operator basing aircraft in rhe UK for UK/US service's requires a UK AOC/License. While a UK requirement it is also required under the US/UK air service agreement. UK domestic services by an EU carrier also require a UK AID/License. It's UK law as a result of the many tit for tat BREXIT arguments, oops sorry agreement!. I believe the CTA does not offer any opt out!

OA260

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:59 am

Aer Lingus cabin crew ‘appalled’ company will not be attending a Labour Court hearing on its Shannon airport closure

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/new ... 30001.html

Ryanair is the busiest operator across the region, with 1,655 flights on Wednesday this week. That’s 64pc of its 2019 levels.

But Aer Lingus has continued to struggle as Ireland lags other EU countries in opening up air travel. The number of flights operated by the carrier on Wednesday this week was 80pc below the equivalent date in 2019

https://m.independent.ie/business/world ... 31319.html

Hopefully Aer Lingus will reverse the decline come August when things start to pick up and hopefully these waves of cancelations will start to reduce.

Fliplot

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:12 am

Surely EI are already loosing out by not having flights available to book in advance? I expect there will be a sharp surge in bookings after July 19th but where to go? FR will clean up and based on discussions heard are already ploughing ahead with bookings for late July, August onwards.

Fliplot

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:33 am

I note EI received its UK AOC/License on July 8th. Perhaps that's part of the reason for the delayed service?

OA260

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 am

Good progress at DUB with the runway.

Today is a significant milestone in the North Runway project as we commence the process of bringing it & associated taxiways into the security restricted area on the airfield

https://twitter.com/dublinairport/statu ... 34786?s=21

metalinyoni

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:38 am

OA260 wrote:
Good progress at DUB with the runway.

Today is a significant milestone in the North Runway project as we commence the process of bringing it & associated taxiways into the security restricted area on the airfield

Good news. All DUB needs now is a rail link into Dublin and it will be a great airport.
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 74L, 743, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L 773, 77W, D10, AT46, AT76, AT75, 142, DH3, ER4, AR1, AR8

bx737

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 am

Fliplot wrote:
There is too much fluff around the UK operation and I don't know why. From the 1st January 2021 any EU operator basing aircraft in rhe UK for UK/US service's requires a UK AOC/License. While a UK requirement it is also required under the US/UK air service agreement. UK domestic services by an EU carrier also require a UK AID/License. It's UK law as a result of the many tit for tat BREXIT arguments, oops sorry agreement!. I believe the CTA does not offer any opt out!

I remember reading in Irish Air Letter (January 2021) that the CAA granted Aer Lingus a Foreign Carrier Permit to allow them operate the Belfast City services as a wet lease for British Airways. The permit covered EI-DVK, DVL and DVN.

Fliplot

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 am

Would that not mean that EI could not market or use their website for booking? I thought the Foreign Carrier Permit was only used for leased in foreign aircraft to be used by British air companies for their branded services? Nit sure though.