Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 7/21: I remember that Summer in Dublin

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:13 am

Aer Lingus says Fórsa Shannon redunancy terms would cost €2.65m more
Airline says it cannot attend Labour Court as it cannot afford enhanced recommendation

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 6?mode=amp

Limerick Chamber ‘heartened’ by Tánaiste’s support for regional airports
Mid-west region awaits finalisation of Shannon Estuary Taskforce amid recovery fears

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 9?mode=amp

Im sure despite the current climate a deal could be done to make sure the Shannon staff are looked after.

Fliplot

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am

NOC should be left out of any discussion. At least the make the effort to cover their operating costs! And the people of the region support the airport.

OA260

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:27 am

Some positive news for pilots who have lost their jobs.

Ryanair to create 2,000 pilot jobs

Ryanair is to recruit 2,000 new pilots to crew aircraft deliveries over the next three years.

It comes as the airline recovers from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Ryanair has now taken delivery of its first Boeing 737-8200 Gamechanger aircraft, which it says will help lower costs, cut fuel consumption and lower noise and CO2 emissions.

https://m.independent.ie/business/jobs/ ... 42823.html

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:37 am

Possibly some announcement from Cork at 1pm. Not sure what but minister appears to be involved and airport consider it “major”.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:14 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Possibly some announcement from Cork at 1pm. Not sure what but minister appears to be involved and airport consider it “major”.

Looks like its just Gov funding 25% of the 40m runway project.

ClassicLover

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:27 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair is to begin operating flights between Dublin and Kerry on a commercial basis later this month, replacing the Government-funded route previously operated by Stobart Air.

Not bookable yet though! I was just looking for it.

EIBPI

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:43 pm

Yes, no KIR-DUB confirmation from Ryanair today.

Some toys are probably getting thrown out of the pram before the route is even officially announced.

How many low traffic domestic routes has Ryanair sustainably operated (except the usual Spanish flights)?

iRISH251

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:41 pm

A wonderful piece of statistical analysis here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4618392
I would have thought that, apart from anything else, the actual number of people travelling would be more relevant than the number of flights.

OA260

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:08 am

Aer Lingus trials IATA Travel Pass

Aer Lingus has become the latest carrier to trial the IATA Travel Pass digital passport app.

www.businesstraveller.com/business-trav ... avel-pass/

Irish air travel lags Europe with just 313 flights on Sunday
Total left the State at number 23 in Europe, behind Montenegro

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 2?mode=amp

You would think that as we approach 19/7 that there would be a bigger surge in bookings but from what people tell me it is currently not the case. Maybe the public want to see the system in place a few weeks before feeling confident to book .

Fliplot

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am

If there was a surge would EI be prepared? FR certainly would be. Do EI have the ability to ramp up quickly - I have my doubts. But it would be great should it happen

BrianDromey

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am

Fliplot wrote:
If there was a surge would EI be prepared? FR certainly would be. Do EI have the ability to ramp up quickly - I have my doubts. But it would be great should it happen

While FR might be operating flights, loads appear to be anecdotally low, as are the fares. I think someone mentioned that AGP has 2x A330s and 1x A320 on Saturdays, so the seem able to pump if demand and yield demands it.

Fliplot

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:09 am

Haven't seen the double A330s yet but it's possible and good news. EI fares are certainly at the higher level. I hope it all works out for them.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:12 am

SNN saying they will announce a new route shortly.

Fliplot

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:42 am

Will be good news for SNN. It needs a boost for sure. Business or sun route?

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:49 am

Fliplot wrote:
Will be good news for SNN. It needs a boost for sure. Business or sun route?

No idea just mention in there schedule launch today a new route to be announced shortly. Can only assume its holiday type and likely Ryanair.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:58 pm

FR have added NOC-BGY (Milan) 2 weekly over winter.

IrishTexan

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Clare media reporting on Ryanair recovery at SNN with reference to 2 previously announced new routes to Corfu and Turin plus another new destination announcement coming "shortly".
https://www.clareecho.ie/new-marketing- ... to-double/
http://clareherald.com/2021/07/air-serv ... ort-20603/
Also read this on regional airport "positive discrimination" by govt.
http://clareherald.com/2021/07/tanaiste ... ort-81187/

OA260

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Got my EU Digital Cert emailed to me today . Ready to travel loads now :)

Phen

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:33 pm

OA260 wrote:

Me too! Very excited. I have a lot of missed travelling to make up for :bouncy:. My phone, at least, doesn't recognise the QR code and so it doesn't lead to any link - I assume the special app that authorities have will recognise the code. Supposedly the Irish authorities will update the covid tracker app to hold a digital copy of your cert so you can keep it handy on your phone. However the cert is designed to be folded a certain way to make it easy to carry around. I hope the system for testing agencies will work well without any major hitches so those not yet vaccinated can avail of the cert easily.

Fliplot

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Congratulations to all involved in getting the EU Digutal Cert out to us. I'm sure it can't have been easy. I will also assume, until proved otherwise, that they are fit for purpose.

Thank you

marcogr12

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Phen wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Me too! Very excited. I have a lot of missed travelling to make up for :bouncy:. My phone, at least, doesn't recognise the QR code and so it doesn't lead to any link - I assume the special app that authorities have will recognise the code. Supposedly the Irish authorities will update the covid tracker app to hold a digital copy of your cert so you can keep it handy on your phone. However the cert is designed to be folded a certain way to make it easy to carry around. I hope the system for testing agencies will work well without any major hitches so those not yet vaccinated can avail of the cert easily.

I am a little confused by your post..The link for EU Digital Cert is available, if you google it, to all Eurocitizens who have been fully vaccinated..You just download it to your mobile phone or PC and store it..How is your phone any different?

OA260

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:07 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Phen wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I am a little confused by your post..The link for EU Digital Cert is available, if you google it, to all Eurocitizens who have been fully vaccinated..You just download it to your mobile phone or PC and store it..How is your phone any different?

Not in Ireland its very basic here . You cant request it online here . Its a manual process . Some are being printed and sent by post and some emailed to print off. Ireland has no App or website yet. We basically have a Digital Cert thats not actually digital ;)

Hopefully soon we will have a digital pass that can be stored in Wallet on iPhones and other smartphones.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 pm

OA260 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:
Phen wrote:

Not in Ireland its very basic here . You cant request it online here . Its a manual process . Some are being printed and sent by post and some emailed to print off. Ireland has no App or website yet. We basically have a Digital Cert thats not actually digital ;)

Hopefully soon we will have a digital pass that can be stored in Wallet on iPhones and other smartphones.

You can use this to put it on smartphone: https://covid19passbook.netlify.app/

The tracker app is to be updated next week to allow upload to.
______

Gov also confirmed PCR for people over 6 will change to 12 from Monday so might just help family holidays later in the summer.

Eagleboy

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:18 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair has now taken delivery of its first Boeing 737-8200 Gamechanger aircraft, which it says will help lower costs, cut fuel consumption and lower noise and CO2 emissions.
.....l

It seems the Indo mispelt "B737MAX"

Fliplot wrote:
Congratulations to all involved in getting the EU Digutal Cert out to us. I'm sure it can't have been easy. I will also assume, until proved otherwise, that they are fit for purpose........
Maybe Im being too cynical but I dont hold much hope.

EI321

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:18 am

Aer Lingus' remaining A350 slots have finally been re-assigned to other customers by airbus. Surprised it took so long.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/a ... 44.article

Fliplot

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:29 am

Ryanair are not taking delivery of B737MAX aircraft. They are receiving B737-8200. The change was made for passenger acceptability. Call it a marketing tango!!!

al2637

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:42 am

For the covid pass, you can even just take a photo on it with your phone and use it that way.

Curious question, have they issued certs to people who are only 1/2 vaccinated? Some countries/hospitality are accepting 1/2 vaccinated visitors, but it means they will have to reissue the certs again once the person is doubled jabbed.

Also most countries are only accepting travelers +14 days after the second jab. Does the Irish cert give you a breakdown in English on what data is in the cert? (In NL there is a button to display the data in plain English)

Phen

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:39 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

That worked perfectly thank you. Very handy to know. I had just saved the document as a PDF file on my phone but thats a bit cumbersome; having it available in the wallet app is a lot handier and would save some faffing around when you need to show it in a hurry. In any case, hopefully in a few months everyone who wants a vaccine will have had it and the recovery/testing aspect of the cert will be redundant and everyone will just have a permanent QR code.

EIDL

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am

al2637 wrote:
For the covid pass, you can even just take a photo on it with your phone and use it that way.

Curious question, have they issued certs to people who are only 1/2 vaccinated? Some countries/hospitality are accepting 1/2 vaccinated visitors, but it means they will have to reissue the certs again once the person is doubled jabbed.

Also most countries are only accepting travelers +14 days after the second jab. Does the Irish cert give you a breakdown in English on what data is in the cert? (In NL there is a button to display the data in plain English)

Fully vaccinated only (2 of mRNA/AZ, 1 JJ); and its only available two weeks after except Pfizer which is one week after - the dates are on the cert. That one week Pfizer thing could prove problematic if common destinations are requiring two weeks

marcogr12

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 am

Fliplot wrote:
Ryanair are not taking delivery of B737MAX aircraft. They are receiving B737-8200. The change was made for passenger acceptability. Call it a marketing tango!!!

Potato...potato...All of us know that the 8200 is the MAX8..Not your average pax maybe, but then there were many articles published about the name-changing tactics to appease public concern..

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:47 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Thank you so much for that!

I received my cert overnight so now it's in my iPhone wallet - looks pretty cool.

goldcrest

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:49 am

How will arrivals from UK be managed after the 19th July. Will the NHS Covid app/documentation be accepted?

OA260

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:52 am

Ryanair has confirmed that it will begin operating the Dublin-Kerry air route, previously run by the now defunct Stobart Air.

However, the new service will not begin until July 28.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0714/1235 ... lin-route/

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 am

goldcrest wrote:
How will arrivals from UK be managed after the 19th July. Will the NHS Covid app/documentation be accepted?

I was just checking that.

It is still listed that you need a PCR test within 72 hours of travel, then home quarantine for 14 days when coming from the UK. That applies to all travellers, vaccinated or not.

This is the next thing that needs to change, in my opinion. I'd love to pop over to the UK for a couple of days, but the PCR test requirement is annoying, even more so as I'm fully vaccinated. The 14 days home quarantine is a sham and always has been. I live on my own, so I have to go out for groceries and to exercise, and it's not like they can track it. So that aspect doesn't concern me at all.

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair has confirmed that it will begin operating the Dublin-Kerry air route, previously run by the now defunct Stobart Air.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/07 ... lin-route/

Great to see them finally announce it - it was dragging on a little. I'm likely to take a jaunt to Kerry and back just for the craic as I'm off the first week of August and I can't go to the UK like I want to, so that'll be an option.

OA260

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:33 am

ClassicLover wrote:
goldcrest wrote:

I was just checking that.

It is still listed that you need a PCR test within 72 hours of travel, then home quarantine for 14 days when coming from the UK. That applies to all travellers, vaccinated or not.

This is the next thing that needs to change, in my opinion. I'd love to pop over to the UK for a couple of days, but the PCR test requirement is annoying, even more so as I'm fully vaccinated. The 14 days home quarantine is a sham and always has been. I live on my own, so I have to go out for groceries and to exercise, and it's not like they can track it. So that aspect doesn't concern me at all.

OA260 wrote:

Great to see them finally announce it - it was dragging on a little. I'm likely to take a jaunt to Kerry and back just for the craic as I'm off the first week of August and I can't go to the UK like I want to, so that'll be an option.

I think that is due to change around 19/7 subject to the situation so we may see an update. From my understanding ROI will take the NHS App as proof of vaccination and thus avoid quarantine / tests. This of course is subject to change. Then the Irish cert will be accepted for Irish tourists coming back from UK .

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
I think that is due to change around 19/7 subject to the situation so we may see an update. From my understanding ROI will take the NHS App as proof of vaccination and thus avoid quarantine / tests. This of course is subject to change. Then the Irish cert will be accepted for Irish tourists coming back from UK .

Fingers crossed... if so I'll be booking tickets about 14 seconds later :)

goldcrest

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Flights are booked for me….. May need a change to Belfast…..

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:33 pm

OA260 wrote:

From the article:

"The route will be served by a Ryanair 737-800 aircraft, initially with one daily rotation, rising to two a day in the morning and evening from September 1."

"Fares will start at €19.99 one way, but the airline said to make the service viable it will need lower costs at Dublin and Kerry airports."

My prediction is that if DUB and/or KIR don't play ball with reducing costs for FR, they'll threaten not to add the second daily flight and if there is still no ball-playing, they'll pull it altogether in September/October and we'll be back to square 1.

OA260

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:58 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Fingers crossed... if so I'll be booking tickets about 14 seconds later :)

A bit of BA CE ;)

Fliplot

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:06 pm

When are the PSO routes due for renewal? That might determine FR's approach.

OA260

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Only one in three phone calls made to the emergency Covid travel cert helpline were physically answered by an operator.
Around 2,300 people “gave up” on their calls, according to junior minister Ossian Smyth.

http://www.independent.ie/news/only-one ... 53117.html

A friend of mine who needs to travel to see a sick relative next week was on hold 2 hrs 52 mins before being cut off . They certainly need to quadruple the amount of staff as demand will only increase.

—-

It seems EWR SFO YYZ and second BOS from DUB are further cancelled until mid September. SEA LAX until end October. Also random adjustments to the few flights / routes that are operating.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Fliplot wrote:

31 January 2022 hence Mr. O'Leary's offer to run KIR subsidy free for the rest of the year. Hard to see them not bidding for the PSO in 2022. They are already pressing for lower airport charges which will just result in taxpayer funding KIR so the savings for taxpayers might not be quiet as high as FR would imply.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:09 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

31 January 2022 hence Mr. O'Leary's offer to run KIR subsidy free for the rest of the year. Hard to see them not bidding for the PSO in 2022. They are already pressing for lower airport charges which will just result in taxpayer funding KIR so the savings for taxpayers might not be quiet as high as FR would imply.

If the route is run commericially (which it will with FR), there will be no PSO tender for the route in 2022. The point of the PSO is to guarantee a route's operation where there is no existing commerical service.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

If the route is run commericially (which it will with FR), there will be no PSO tender for the route in 2022. The point of the PSO is to guarantee a route's operation where there is no existing commerical service.

I am aware of that. Nothing stopping FR dropping in 6 months (current commitment) and then bid for PSO because its not commercially viable.

Fliplot

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:10 pm

You have to admire the Ryansir spin! It's magic. Ryanair will run the KIR route commercislly but the cost at JKR and DUB are to high and have to be adjusted if they are to commercially run the route. The fares will commence at €19.99. FR currently has fares of €4.99 on the STN /SNN route!
A PSO by any other name then?

OA260

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:42 pm

List of some of the routes due to resume at DUB and other airports from 19/7 onwards :

Routes set to start or resume after July 19 include:

Bilbao – Aer Lingus, from July 21
Bordeaux – Aer Lingus, from July 30
Budapest – Aer Lingus, from July 30
Cagliari – Ryanair, from July 17
Corfu – Aer Lingus, from July 24
Dalaman – Ryanair, from September 1
Ibiza – Ryanair, from July 17
Menorca – Ryanair, from September 4
Marrakech – Ryanair, from July 18
Rhodes – Aer Lingus (from July 23); Ryanair (from August 3)
Santiago de Compostela – Aer Lingus from July 19
Toulouse – Aer Lingus, from August 1
Venice – Aer Lingus, from July 21

www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-n ... 53950.html

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:50 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
"Fares will start at €19.99 one way, but the airline said to make the service viable it will need lower costs at Dublin and Kerry airports."

That's cheaper than the train! :) Lowest fares I can see for the train at the beginning of August anyway are €24.99.

OA260 wrote:
A bit of BA CE ;)

Yes, it's been far, far too long!! :D

Fliplot wrote:
The fares will commence at €19.99. FR currently has fares of €4.99 on the STN /SNN route!
A PSO by any other name then?

The fares were higher on Aer Lingus Regional, even with the PSO. I think €34.99 was the minimum?

BestWestern

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Are Ryanair doing this for Max familiarisation I wonder? Short route, IAA territory all the way. It’s not like the route will need the extra seats the Max gives them.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:25 am

No, it's not a Max; it's a 737-800.

Interesting move by FR. I guess this puts paid to the possibility of Nordica operating the route.

What's FR's agenda here? To demonstrate its distaste for the concept of PSO flights, or indeed subsidies generally?

EIBPI

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:38 am

I looked at FR’s schedule from September when they plan to go twice daily. It seems substantially less useful than what was in place before.

DUB-KIR 06:45-07:40 FR6677 D (at 11:00 on Saturday and Sunday)
DUB-KIR 18:00-18:55 FR6691 D (at 19:00 on Saturday and Sunday)

I would be surprised if the 06:45 gets more than a handful of passengers. The weekday 18:00 is also a bit early, with people needing to leave Dublin city centre at 16:00 or so. The weekday lunchtime flight at 12:40 during Stobart times, which was useful for a lot of connecting/self connecting passengers (from Europe but also the US) is clearly missing. I am not sure how many of those will be willing to wait for 18:00 or will instead take the 13:00 or 15:00 trains (arr. Killarney at 16:19 or 18:19)

KIR-DUB 08:05-09:00 FR6678 D (at 12:20 on Saturday and Sunday)
KIR-DUB 19:20-20:15 FR6692 D (at 20:20 on Saturday and Sunday)

A 09:00 arrival is not perfect, with the earliest one realistically expect to be in the city centre being 10:00. The first train from Killarney (06:37) gets people to Heuston at 09:31. For an 08:05 flight, one would most likely also be leaving Killarney around 06:40. I doubt we will see more than a handful of passengers on the 19:20 flight. The previously popular lunchtime flight is missing.

I would be surprised to see the operation last for more than a few weeks before the drama starts. There is also the VAT to be absorbed on domestic flights (23%!), which is not an issue for the rest of Ryanair’s operation.

Stobart’s schedule

DUB-KIR 12:40-13:40 EI3204 D (some days it operated at 12:10 instead)
DUB-KIR 18:50-19:55 EI3208 D

KIR-DUB 07:30-08:30 EI3201 D (departed at 09:00 on Sunday)
KIR-DUB 14:05-15:10 EI3205 D (some days it operated at 13:40 instead)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos