GMR's plans for Nagpur airport after they won a court case against Maharashtra's Maha Aghadi Government:
1. The GMR Group on Friday said that it hopes to develop Nagpur's Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in phases to eventually reach a capacity of 30 million passengers annually.
2. "The first phase of development will see GMR initiate a complete transformation of the Nagpur Airport over a four-year period, including the construction of a new Greenfield integrated terminal with initial capacity of handling four million passengers per annum, associated aeronautical infrastructure including aprons and taxiways, new car park and approach road and a new cargo terminal,"
3. "At the same time, the existing passenger terminal will also be refurbished to enhance its capacity, improve passenger facilities, introduce modern technology and upgrade the overall ambiance to cater to the traffic and operational requirements in the interim period," it added.
4. Over the longer term, GMR will invest further in the Nagpur Airport project including the expansion of terminal handling capacity, development of a second runway and a new Air Traffic Control Tower (ATC) to boost capacity to levels that could potentially serve the needs for the next 2-3 decades of growth at the city, it stated.
5. Nagpur is also well placed to be developed into a major cargo hub, it said, adding that leveraging the city''s strategic geographic location, strong multi-modal connectivity with major economic centres across the country and supportive government and policy environment.
For Nagpur Airport, beginning with an initial capacity of 20,000 MT annually, GMR will pursue a cargo development vision modelled on its own experience at Delhi and Hyderabad as well as that of major global air cargo hubs such as Memphis, Paris, Hong Kong and Dubai to maximise the city''s growth potential, GMR said.
Sources: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/bom ... 77128.htmlhttps://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 66661.html