Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 25
 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM5AyuHzF9I

Great advertisement for DEN. Seems UA is trying to make it their #1, even past Chicago. Always liked UA at DEN.

Also, that jab at WN.
 
NewYork1K
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:21 pm

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
It looks like 2478 / N778UA currently grounded at ORD is next in line for an entire fan blade replacement on both engines, this after 2471 / N771UA received new fan blades, neither aircraft has a RTS date yet. Do we have any idea where United acquired these replacement fan blades from?

Also looking at newly updated maintenance reports 2515 / N215UA on the ground at SFO will be the first PW to be retrofitted with a modified/strengthened engine cowling no RTS date set.

The six PW 2500 series (2510-2515) 77As do not require new fan blades at least that is what I'm seeing in the maintenance documents .

redrooster3 wrote:
2512 in IAH has new fan blades and engine runs successfully complete. Will ferry to ORD for mx checks before RTS. When that RTS is I don't know but progress is being made for the P&W 777s. Even N771UA is ferrying to XMN soon.


2512 N212UA is still on the long term storage list not seeing anything about new fan blades or it being ferried to ORD for MX checks, N212UA hasn't flown in over 440 days. That particular aircraft has been on the ground at IAH since 4/21/2020 and entered into storage on 4/28/2020. I do see where maintenance ran the engines recently and the aircraft has been moved into a hangar but I'm not finding anything related to new fan blades a MX ferry. Perhaps they just re-installed the same fan blades after they passed inspection?


N772UA was doing taxi tests in DEN a couple of days ago. Taxied to a parallel taxiway off rwy 25 and sat for about 25min before returning to the hanger.


So they're planning on repairing and returning 2372 to service? I had thought that would be a writeoff.
 
codc10
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:11 pm

NewYork1K wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
It looks like 2478 / N778UA currently grounded at ORD is next in line for an entire fan blade replacement on both engines, this after 2471 / N771UA received new fan blades, neither aircraft has a RTS date yet. Do we have any idea where United acquired these replacement fan blades from?

Also looking at newly updated maintenance reports 2515 / N215UA on the ground at SFO will be the first PW to be retrofitted with a modified/strengthened engine cowling no RTS date set.

The six PW 2500 series (2510-2515) 77As do not require new fan blades at least that is what I'm seeing in the maintenance documents .



2512 N212UA is still on the long term storage list not seeing anything about new fan blades or it being ferried to ORD for MX checks, N212UA hasn't flown in over 440 days. That particular aircraft has been on the ground at IAH since 4/21/2020 and entered into storage on 4/28/2020. I do see where maintenance ran the engines recently and the aircraft has been moved into a hangar but I'm not finding anything related to new fan blades a MX ferry. Perhaps they just re-installed the same fan blades after they passed inspection?


N772UA was doing taxi tests in DEN a couple of days ago. Taxied to a parallel taxiway off rwy 25 and sat for about 25min before returning to the hanger.


So they're planning on repairing and returning 2372 to service? I had thought that would be a writeoff.


Minimal structural damage… it looked a lot worse than it actually was. Aside from the engine, of course!
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:30 pm

MAX 8 N27252 has been delivered https://fr24.com/UAL2705/28676aca
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:57 pm

N771UA, a grounded PW 772 is back in the air operating a LAX-HNL flight. Not sure if this is a revenue flight.

https://fr24.com/UAL2712/2867785c
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3340
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:15 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
N771UA, a grounded PW 772 is back in the air operating a LAX-HNL flight. Not sure if this is a revenue flight.

https://fr24.com/UAL2712/2867785c


Not with that flight number. As I understand, 2700-series are not normal flights.
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:21 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
N771UA, a grounded PW 772 is back in the air operating a LAX-HNL flight. Not sure if this is a revenue flight.

https://fr24.com/UAL2712/2867785c


united.com has the departure gate as SPT20 and the seat map is empty.
So I am guessing it is not a passenger flight and probably re-positioning? maybe on the way for maintenance with stops in HNL and Guam? due to crew?

having said all that, I am sure I am wrong.....
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm

ordbosewr wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
N771UA, a grounded PW 772 is back in the air operating a LAX-HNL flight. Not sure if this is a revenue flight.

https://fr24.com/UAL2712/2867785c


united.com has the departure gate as SPT20 and the seat map is empty.
So I am guessing it is not a passenger flight and probably re-positioning? maybe on the way for maintenance with stops in HNL and Guam? due to crew?

having said all that, I am sure I am wrong.....


It’s going to XMN on the 17th. Stopping in HNL and GUM
 
jayunited
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Hearing DEN just lost all power any one out there can confirm?

Not sure if this is just effecting United flights/gates/check-in area or if it is the entire airport.
 
AC4500
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 pm

jayunited wrote:
Hearing DEN just lost all power any one out there can confirm?

Not sure if this is just effecting United flights/gates/check-in area or if it is the entire airport.

It looks like it. This tweet shows airport monitors and gate areas without power: https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status ... 2605006857
 
User avatar
ChaseP
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Polaris Update:
N27959 (Boeing 787-9) entered XMN for maintenance and Polaris conversion.
N26970 (Boeing 787-9) entered XMN for maintenance and Polaris conversion.
 
United1
Posts: 4284
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 pm

AC4500 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Hearing DEN just lost all power any one out there can confirm?

Not sure if this is just effecting United flights/gates/check-in area or if it is the entire airport.

It looks like it. This tweet shows airport monitors and gate areas without power: https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status ... 2605006857


DEN tweeted the power was back on and the ground stop has been lifted. Ugh....that's going to be messy.

https://twitter.com/DENAirport
 
x1234
Posts: 1137
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:36 pm

Any update for UA TATL/TPAC? Australia (SYD, MEL) is on lockdown. HKG, SIN, PVG, PEK require strict crew quarantine. What about NRT/HND and TPE? Is the PVG market still being served via ICN?
 
bigb
Posts: 1417
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:48 am

x1234 wrote:
Any update for UA TATL/TPAC? Australia (SYD, MEL) is on lockdown. HKG, SIN, PVG, PEK require strict crew quarantine. What about NRT/HND and TPE? Is the PVG market still being served via ICN?


Japan or TPE don’t have the crew quarantines like like HKG. I still see United out of Japan and TPE.
 
portola2727
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:53 am

x1234 wrote:
Any update for UA TATL/TPAC? Australia (SYD, MEL) is on lockdown. HKG, SIN, PVG, PEK require strict crew quarantine. What about NRT/HND and TPE? Is the PVG market still being served via ICN?

UAL still flies to India from SFO. Idk about crew quarantines but they are flying SFO/EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM. I know cause I'm flying UA 867 soon.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:15 pm

I think a few weeks ago there were several posts inquiring about when IAH-LHR, DEN-LHR and LAX-LHR would return.
I don't know when DEN or LAX - LHR passenger service resumes but good news for those in Houston United has resumed IAH-LHR today July 15th. I looks like the flight for now will operate 5x weekly.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 pm

MAX 8 #3 has been delivered. https://fr24.com/UAL2706/286b9882
 
dcajet
Posts: 5037
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:25 am

jayunited wrote:
I think a few weeks ago there were several posts inquiring about when IAH-LHR, DEN-LHR and LAX-LHR would return.
I don't know when DEN or LAX - LHR passenger service resumes but good news for those in Houston United has resumed IAH-LHR today July 15th. I looks like the flight for now will operate 5x weekly.


Jaym Do you mean #UA5? It looks like it carried passengers yesterday (14th), and that it operated on the 8/9/10/11 July as well. (perhaps not with paxs but cargo?)
 
avi8
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 am

ikolkyo wrote:
MAX 8 #3 has been delivered. https://fr24.com/UAL2706/286b9882


Amazing what’s to come for UA fleet-wise. Can’t wait to fly on one of their MAXs.
 
IFLYUA767
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 11:42 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Does anyone know if UA is all 787 out of ORD at the moment? I think either later this year or early next year, ORD-LHR is back to a 763. Does anyone have any other information?
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:08 pm

It appears to me the MAX 8 will begin operations today. First flight with passengers looks to be UA2610, IAH-IAD.
 
autobahnal
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
It appears to me the MAX 8 will begin operations today. First flight with passengers looks to be UA2610, IAH-IAD.


I think it was very recently changed (within the last hour maybe?). Now it looks to be UA789 IAH-LAS today, then UA2106 LAS-IAH. Tomorrow (Sat the 17th) it'll be on IAH-EWR runs from what I see right now.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm

autobahnal wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
It appears to me the MAX 8 will begin operations today. First flight with passengers looks to be UA2610, IAH-IAD.


I think it was very recently changed (within the last hour maybe?). Now it looks to be UA789 IAH-LAS today, then UA2106 LAS-IAH. Tomorrow (Sat the 17th) it'll be on IAH-EWR runs from what I see right now.


Was definitely changed recently, I also see UA789 as being the flight.
 
autobahnal
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:12 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
autobahnal wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
It appears to me the MAX 8 will begin operations today. First flight with passengers looks to be UA2610, IAH-IAD.


I think it was very recently changed (within the last hour maybe?). Now it looks to be UA789 IAH-LAS today, then UA2106 LAS-IAH. Tomorrow (Sat the 17th) it'll be on IAH-EWR runs from what I see right now.


Was definitely changed recently, I also see UA789 as being the flight.


If anyone's in the know I'd be really curious about the reasoning for the seemingly last-minute shift.

In any event I'm supposed to be on it tomorrow from EWR-IAH...hoping that sticks. Excited to try it out!
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3281
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm

autobahnal wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
autobahnal wrote:

I think it was very recently changed (within the last hour maybe?). Now it looks to be UA789 IAH-LAS today, then UA2106 LAS-IAH. Tomorrow (Sat the 17th) it'll be on IAH-EWR runs from what I see right now.


Was definitely changed recently, I also see UA789 as being the flight.


If anyone's in the know I'd be really curious about the reasoning for the seemingly last-minute shift.

In any event I'm supposed to be on it tomorrow from EWR-IAH...hoping that sticks. Excited to try it out!


I think the plan was always to start the MAX 8s between IAH, LAS and EWR. I was actually confused when I was saw the IAD flight loaded up for it.
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

autobahnal wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
autobahnal wrote:

I think it was very recently changed (within the last hour maybe?). Now it looks to be UA789 IAH-LAS today, then UA2106 LAS-IAH. Tomorrow (Sat the 17th) it'll be on IAH-EWR runs from what I see right now.


Was definitely changed recently, I also see UA789 as being the flight.


If anyone's in the know I'd be really curious about the reasoning for the seemingly last-minute shift.

In any event I'm supposed to be on it tomorrow from EWR-IAH...hoping that sticks. Excited to try it out!


One possibility for the change is that the flight crew hasn’t been through the Max training yet, so subbing in a MAX wouldn’t work.
 
autobahnal
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:44 pm

EssentialBusDC wrote:
autobahnal wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Was definitely changed recently, I also see UA789 as being the flight.


If anyone's in the know I'd be really curious about the reasoning for the seemingly last-minute shift.

In any event I'm supposed to be on it tomorrow from EWR-IAH...hoping that sticks. Excited to try it out!


One possibility for the change is that the flight crew hasn’t been through the Max training yet, so subbing in a MAX wouldn’t work.


Good point...thanks for responding!
 
Boeing12345
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:47 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Probably means nothing, but some lists that were seen showed the Southwest 737s info in some MX manuals. Also, saw Singapore Airlines 777s info there too. Probably nothing, but will try to find out why those Singapore aircraft are listed there.
Lot of :777 PW powered aircraft are in China for RTS. Don't know when they go RTS..



The 777's have been included since the conversion to Boeing Toolbox and is nothing new. If you filter to one of those 777's it will only show SRM data, no AMM or IPC data. Long story short, but has to do with filtering and 3rd party access.

Used 737's are included in the data sets as we are actively receiving them. However some (not all) of the used 737 are going back to SWA too.
 
User avatar
UnitedRB211
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:44 am

N772UA flew to VCV recently. Any idea what's up?
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 am

UnitedRB211 wrote:
N772UA flew to VCV recently. Any idea what's up?


Just for temporary storage.
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:24 am

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N21129 returned to revenue service with CommutAir

CR5:
N519LR ferried AMA for paint

CR7:
N797SK exited ROW in EvoBlu livery
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:30 am

UAinAUS wrote:
UAX Update:

E145XR:
N21129 returned to revenue service with CommutAir

CR5:
N519LR ferried AMA for paint

CR7:
N797SK exited ROW in EvoBlu livery


I am impressed with how fast OO is getting the 700’s painted once it resumed. Seeing fewer and fewer gold liveries. Some were really presenting rather poorly.
 
flyboycpa
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:34 pm

757-224 (ship number 122) just left ROW yesterday, headed for ILN. A good friend of mine flew it out of there.

Questions:

1.) What work is done in ILN?

2.) How "live" are the Google Fleet sites? I don't see where #122 is showing that it's no longer in ROW. I love that site.

Cheers,
756FO guy
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Boeing12345 wrote:

Used 737's are included in the data sets as we are actively receiving them. However some (not all) of the used 737 are going back to SWA too.


Any idea why UA decided not to take all the ex-WN 73Gs?
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3348
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 pm

flyboycpa:
ILN (and GSO) are heavier maint. location that has been used for 757 and 767s in the past. A few units have been sent there from ROW to get maint prior to re-starting revenue service and now there are currently 4 units in ILN. N58101 was to depart ILN today after 78 days, but it was cancelled. N17122 is probably replacing N58101 at ILN.

As for the info on the Fleet Site, I review the entire mainline fleet daily, usually about 10pm EDT for the next day to see which planes are scheduled to fly. Many times there are changes to fleet assignment after that point or I can make occasional errors while reviewing the fleet.

The fleet spreadsheets have columns on the right side about Parked, Stored or (Flying if blank) status and that info is pulled down by Ross Paulson, who's Tableau vis is updated in the morning. The Tableau vis has some interesting stats from the entire pandemic. https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ ... leetStatus

I don't recall but probably missed AC 3122's movement yesterday. I see it was sked out of ROW the 15th, but FR24 indicates it must have cancelled that day. It's on the spreadsheet now and being shown in the Stored/Maint column as it will be in ILN for a while getting ready for revenue service.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:18 pm

IFLYUA767 wrote:
Does anyone know if UA is all 787 out of ORD at the moment? I think either later this year or early next year, ORD-LHR is back to a 763. Does anyone have any other information?

I just landed HNL-ORD this morning on a 77W.
 
x1234
Posts: 1137
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:12 pm

What's the status of UA's 777 capacity on Latin/TATL/TPAC with the 777 PW groundings?
 
GmoneyCO
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm

x1234 wrote:
What's the status of UA's 777 capacity on Latin/TATL/TPAC with the 777 PW groundings?


There is still capacity there, for instance there is still one GE 777 in storage that has not been reactivated yet. Between international schedules still being a fraction of what they were in 2019 and 15 787 deliveries in 2020 & 2021, the impact of not having the PW 777s in revenue service has been manageable.

For further context, there are still 12 764s and 7 763s that need to be put back into service. Depending on how long Boeing needs to complete inspections and repairs on its backlog of undelivered 787s, there are ~6 787-10s that will come online late this year or early next though this timeline is very much up in the air due to Boeing's pause in 787 deliveries.

I don't foresee any kind of issues coming up with widebody capacity until we get close to ~May 2022 assuming the PW 777s stay out of service for a while longer while the engine cowling is redesigned, manufactured, tested, and then put into service.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:19 pm

EWR-DEL to go to a 789 between 7/31 to 9/7
https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 5572726784
 
Cmac787
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:31 pm

UA needs to pull some aircraft out of storage for spare aircraft. Too many long MX delays and cancellations there should be at least 3-5 spare aircraft at each hub.
 
User avatar
ryanflyer
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:02 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
UA needs to pull some aircraft out of storage for spare aircraft. Too many long MX delays and cancellations there should be at least 3-5 spare aircraft at each hub.


I don’t think you understand. They have, and will continue to. It’s to my knowledge that every aircraft left in storage is due in for heavy MX. Every MRO is to capacity right now, hence the reason they can’t put more back into service.
 
MDC862
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Your advocating for 3-5 planes per hub...not going to happen. The acquisition cost to just have them sit there to get a "tan" is upwards of at least $600M and probably upwards of a billion for :on call" status. Do you have multiple cars if your daily broke? No industry will commit $1B just to sit there.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
UA needs to pull some aircraft out of storage for spare aircraft. Too many long MX delays and cancellations there should be at least 3-5 spare aircraft at each hub.


So with United operating widebodies from all 7 domestic hubs we would need a between 21 to 35 spare widebodies. That may be possible now because of the pandemic but as travel recovers do you actually think United would ever allow up to 35 widebodies to remain on the ground as spares?
 
ILikeTrains
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm

How does United mx compare to Delta TechOps? In my last job, we were working on implementing a version of the analytical systems Delta uses to ensure spare part availability for the Air Force.
 
alasizon
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
UA needs to pull some aircraft out of storage for spare aircraft. Too many long MX delays and cancellations there should be at least 3-5 spare aircraft at each hub.


There typically are 2-3 spares per hub plus 2-3 widebody spares somewhere in the system. People vastly underestimate how quickly a spare disappears and then you end up with embedded spares in the operation that may or may not be able to be swapped based on MX planning.

Sometimes a spare doesn't help either, could be a 319 spare on a flight scheduled to be on a 739, most of the time better to take the 2 hour MX delay than bump 60 people.
 
DoctorVenkman
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:43 pm

MDC862 wrote:
Your advocating for 3-5 planes per hub...not going to happen. The acquisition cost to just have them sit there to get a "tan" is upwards of at least $600M and probably upwards of a billion for :on call" status. Do you have multiple cars if your daily broke? No industry will commit $1B just to sit there.


The whole point is that the spares aren't sitting around "getting a tan" - they are used when there are mechanical or weather issues causing a delay with the originally scheduled aircraft. At a hub with hundreds of daily departures, you are basically guaranteed to have a couple of MX or WX delays on any given day.

I'd have to see the data to come up with an exact figure, but it's a relatively simple calculation. Basically you'd want to look at your average occurrence of significant delays at a given hub, then multiply that by your daily departures to get the number of aircraft you'd want on reserve. So for example if there was a 1% chance of a given flight having significant MX issues, and you had 500 daily departures at a hub, you'd want to have on average 5 extra aircraft ready to sub in. Those extra aircraft wouldn't be sitting idle - they'd be getting used basically all the time.
 
redrooster3
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:40 pm

jayunited wrote:
It looks like 2478 / N778UA currently grounded at ORD is next in line for an entire fan blade replacement on both engines, this after 2471 / N771UA received new fan blades, neither aircraft has a RTS date yet. Do we have any idea where United acquired these replacement fan blades from?

Also looking at newly updated maintenance reports 2515 / N215UA on the ground at SFO will be the first PW to be retrofitted with a modified/strengthened engine cowling no RTS date set.

The six PW 2500 series (2510-2515) 77As do not require new fan blades at least that is what I'm seeing in the maintenance documents .

redrooster3 wrote:
2512 in IAH has new fan blades and engine runs successfully complete. Will ferry to ORD for mx checks before RTS. When that RTS is I don't know but progress is being made for the P&W 777s. Even N771UA is ferrying to XMN soon.


2512 N212UA is still on the long term storage list not seeing anything about new fan blades or it being ferried to ORD for MX checks, N212UA hasn't flown in over 440 days. That particular aircraft has been on the ground at IAH since 4/21/2020 and entered into storage on 4/28/2020. I do see where maintenance ran the engines recently and the aircraft has been moved into a hangar but I'm not finding anything related to new fan blades a MX ferry. Perhaps they just re-installed the same fan blades after they passed inspection?


N212UA had new blades installed on the 7th/8th of July and used 30,000 pounds of fuel doing engine tests/taxi runs. It's last flight was on the 21st of February this year.

It's now scheduled to leave IAH and head to LAX and beyond as flight 2707. You may be thinking of 0297 which has been in IAH since 04/13/2020.
 
atrude777
Posts: 4497
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:23 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:38 pm

I realize Ishrion Posts here too.....

https://ishrionaviation.blogspot.com/20 ... field.html

Per his Blog Website..United will be ending Paine Field (PAE Airport)

As of October 5th, United in PAE will be no more.

I went to the UA Website and also see this too.

ATW is Ground Handled by UGE-United Ground Express, and BTW is by McGee of Alaska Airlines.

I am heartbroken for our UGE Folks up there. Myself and a colleague trained the original ATW Classes for United and UGE in March 2019. We were hoping for huge success up there!

I had a great time in Paine Field, and like to think we had a great group of UA/UGE Folks working up there.

Alex
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
MDC862 wrote:
Your advocating for 3-5 planes per hub...not going to happen. The acquisition cost to just have them sit there to get a "tan" is upwards of at least $600M and probably upwards of a billion for :on call" status. Do you have multiple cars if your daily broke? No industry will commit $1B just to sit there.


The whole point is that the spares aren't sitting around "getting a tan" - they are used when there are mechanical or weather issues causing a delay with the originally scheduled aircraft. At a hub with hundreds of daily departures, you are basically guaranteed to have a couple of MX or WX delays on any given day.

I'd have to see the data to come up with an exact figure, but it's a relatively simple calculation. Basically you'd want to look at your average occurrence of significant delays at a given hub, then multiply that by your daily departures to get the number of aircraft you'd want on reserve. So for example if there was a 1% chance of a given flight having significant MX issues, and you had 500 daily departures at a hub, you'd want to have on average 5 extra aircraft ready to sub in. Those extra aircraft wouldn't be sitting idle - they'd be getting used basically all the time.


That’s what they basically do, just not 3-5 per hub as suggested by the original poster. Also, keep in mind that often, sub-ins are accomplished by tightening up the turn time or maintenance window on other aircraft that would otherwise be on the ground for longer periods
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q3 2021

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:33 pm

atrude777 wrote:
I realize Ishrion Posts here too.....

https://ishrionaviation.blogspot.com/20 ... field.html

Per his Blog Website..United will be ending Paine Field (PAE Airport)

As of October 5th, United in PAE will be no more.

I went to the UA Website and also see this too.

ATW is Ground Handled by UGE-United Ground Express, and BTW is by McGee of Alaska Airlines.

I am heartbroken for our UGE Folks up there. Myself and a colleague trained the original ATW Classes for United and UGE in March 2019. We were hoping for huge success up there!

I had a great time in Paine Field, and like to think we had a great group of UA/UGE Folks working up there.

Alex


Hate to see that one go. But airfares were ofren not competitive with SEA (at least for me) and $300-$400/tkt difference x 6 people is a challenge to justify.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 25

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos