Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

AA adds MIA-ALB/BTV/MSN/SLC/SYR/TUL

Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:38 am

AA keeps adding more domestic points from Miami.

Saturday service to Albany, Burlington, Madison, Syracuse and Tulsa, all on Eagle ERJ-175s, begin November 6th. Tulsa is a resumption (last flown around 2016/2017), the rest are new.

Daily service to Salt Lake City resumes (last flown around 2017/18 or so) on December 16th, with a 737-800.

All now bookable on their website.

Curious to see what else is added, there will undoubtedly be more. MIA is currently the fastest growing airport in the United States in terms of raw passenger numbers (as opposed to percentages) and is already past 2019 traffic levels despite international still being dragged down.

In the past year alone, domestically, AA has added from Miami: Bangor, Dayton, Des Moines, Huntsville, Lexington, Jackson (Miss.), Little Rock, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Portland (Maine) and Rochester.

Surprised still no Asheville, Buffalo, Portland (Oregon) and Providence.

USAirALB

Re: AA adds MIA-ALB/BTV/MSN/SLC/SYR/TUL

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:13 pm

MIA-ALB is nice to see, and frankly I am surprised it took them so long. Hopefully it stays year-round-lots of South Floridians have homes in the Adirondacks/Saratoga Springs area.

I just pulled PDEW numbers on the DOT website, and MIA-BUF is slightly higher than say MIA-ALB. The only thing I can think of for AA not starting MIA-BUF is simply because the timeline for reopening the Canadian border is in limbo and Canadian traffic would likely constitute a large percentage of a hypothetical MIA-BUF flight.

PA12

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:25 pm

ELP please.

MDC862

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:12 pm

Since MIA is a money-losing operation for them, I often wonder if the former DL "dart board" route planners are now at AA. It would make more financial sense for them to consolidate and dominate their only 2 hubs that make money and not expand financial holes.

x1234

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Didn't DL say they were going to fly SLC-MIA in addition to the existing SLC-FLL for Latin America connections after the DL/LATAM JV.

a320flyer

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:07 pm

x1234 wrote:
Didn't DL say they were going to fly SLC-MIA in addition to the existing SLC-FLL for Latin America connections after the DL/LATAM JV.

They already fly both

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:38 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Me too. Figured at least two or three of those would have been included in this expansion.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:42 pm

MDC862 wrote:
Since MIA is a money-losing operation for them, I often wonder if the former DL "dart board" route planners are now at AA. It would make more financial sense for them to consolidate and dominate their only 2 hubs that make money and not expand financial holes.

AA already dominates CLT and DFW.
MIA has historically been profitable. The margins have been middle of the road the last few years.
AA is trying to contain an ULCC incursion in MIA, one of the ways to address that is to serve lower-volume routes before the LCC's can since there is probably not enough traffic for multiple carriers and AA has the advantage of higher-yield international connections on the MIA end.

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:56 pm

MDC862 wrote:

No, it wouldn't. They couldn't be a just two hub carrier and be effective domestically or for intercon travel. The country is way too big, with a dispersed set of large CSAs. See the United Next investor presentation from 6/29/2021 for current arguments on the many-hub philosophy.

https://ir.united.com/static-files/c1c1 ... 7deb15cf9f

maps4ltd

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:56 pm

They also added Chetumal, MX, and San Andres Island (which I believe is Colombian).
https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... epointsguy

lat41

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:03 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Me too. Figured at least two or three of those would have been included in this expansion.

Perhaps observing how F9 does in PVD. No South & Central America or Caribbean connecting higher dollar sales for Frontier there though.

adamh8297

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:06 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
They also added Chetumal, MX, and San Andres Island (which I believe is Colombian).

San Andres (ADZ) is actually closer to Nicaragua though part of Colombia.

georgiabill

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm

Any chance of AA trying MIA-MHT saturday only service? I think it could work if flight was timed for cruise connections and South American a Caribbean flight connections.

86hoya

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:08 pm

Twice weekly service MIA-ADZ (Wednesday and Saturday) is a low risk method to dip your toe in a vacation destination with relatively limited hotel options for Americans - may open up for more Canada-MIA-beach traffic.

tphuang

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:38 pm

OMAAT on this https://onemileatatime.com/news/america ... expansion/

This kind of illustrates the problem AA has against NK. Thew new routes are really just pre-emptive srikes to discourage NK from adding them. The frequency additions will hurt LCC/ULCC yield on some markets, but they are not going to even slowdown the ongoing NK/F9 explosion to Florida. And they are going to definitely hurt AA yield here. The MIA airport fee changes really hurt AA here.

smw757

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm

OKC-MIA was absolutely packed the other day (maybe just because of the long weekend). Really wish the MIA-OKC leg wasn’t such a late flight.

American 767

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:30 pm

georgiabill wrote:
Any chance of AA trying MIA-MHT saturday only service? I think it could work if flight was timed for cruise connections and South American a Caribbean flight connections.

It could work, although only seasonal. Because it is during the winter months (Nov thru March) that New Yorkers and others living all over New England are willing to come to Florida and the Caribbean to spend holidays, and also to escape from the rough cold winters.

avi8

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:02 pm

maps4ltd wrote:

Aren’t GUA and SJO already operating at 3 daily flights?

AC4500

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:12 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

AA has never been successful at PDX.

- LAX-PDX can't sustain more than 2 or 3 daily flights. They tried increasing it to 4 in 2019, which did not work out.
- They tried increasing CLT-PDX to twice daily in 2019, it lasted all but 2 or 3 weeks before pulling it back down. Now it sometimes doesn't even operate once daily.
- PHL-PDX is gone for good.
- DFW-PDX still has significant seasonal reductions.

I thought AS joining OneWorld would have changed this, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all... Hate to be a downer, but it's hard to see MIA-PDX happening when they cannot maintain a stable CLT-PDX schedule (since CLT is a more integral hub for AA than MIA is).

miaami

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Surprised that MIA-PWM was not added back for the Winter Season

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:37 pm

miaami wrote:
Surprised that MIA-PWM was not added back for the Winter Season

They still have not finished loading back winter schedule. It will be as will others.

chrisnh

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:44 pm

georgiabill wrote:

A nemesis is Spirit, and I could surely see AA tweaking them with MIA-MHT service to siphon some of the Spirit MHT-FLL traffic. But an RJ against an A320 isn't necessarily going to win that battle.

Ionosphere

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:09 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
AA keeps adding more domestic points from Miami.

Saturday service to Albany, Burlington, Madison, Syracuse and Tulsa, all on Eagle ERJ-175s, begin November 6th. Tulsa is a resumption (last flown around 2016/2017), the rest are new.

Daily service to Salt Lake City resumes (last flown around 2017/18 or so) on December 16th, with a 737-800.

All now bookable on their website.

Curious to see what else is added, there will undoubtedly be more. MIA is currently the fastest growing airport in the United States in terms of raw passenger numbers (as opposed to percentages) and is already past 2019 traffic levels despite international still being dragged down.

In the past year alone, domestically, AA has added from Miami: Bangor, Dayton, Des Moines, Huntsville, Lexington, Jackson (Miss.), Little Rock, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Portland (Maine) and Rochester.

AA briefly flew MIA-PVD on the 319 Winter 2016/2017

flyoregon

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:11 pm

AC4500 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

- LAX-PDX can't sustain more than 2 or 3 daily flights. They tried increasing it to 4 in 2019, which did not work out.
- They tried increasing CLT-PDX to twice daily in 2019, it lasted all but 2 or 3 weeks before pulling it back down. Now it sometimes doesn't even operate once daily.

I thought AS joining OneWorld would have changed this, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all... Hate to be a downer, but it's hard to see MIA-PDX happening when they cannot maintain a stable CLT-PDX schedule (since CLT is a more integral hub for AA than MIA is).

The OW partnership with Alaska is new, give it time. I’m not privy to any information, but I suspect a MIA link will happen sooner or later on AS or AA metal. Same with PHL. Also, we’re coming out of a worldwide event that had a massive impact on air travel that is on the rebound. Things will get better. Just give it some time.

NWAESC

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:15 pm

I'll be curious to see how MIA-MSN does. People in WI treat going to Florida as a sacred duty.

With this add, MSN will have nonstop flights to MCO, MIA, RSW, and TPA. Not bad.

FLYKTPA

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:32 pm

NWAESC wrote:
I'll be curious to see how MIA-MSN does. People in WI treat going to Florida as a sacred duty.

With this add, MSN will have nonstop flights to MCO, MIA, RSW, and TPA. Not bad.

Sun Country dropped the TPA flight after one season back in 2019.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:11 pm

I was thinking so odd that Madison and Milwaukee would be at the same frequency, but looks like Milwaukee will operate daily starting November 2nd.

Also looks like ERJ-145 flying is largely ending from Miami? I've just took a cursory glance but I can't find much ERJ-145 flying outside of Gainesville and oddly Greensboro. Sometimes though the larger planes mean less frequency. For example, TLH goes from 4x ERJ-145 to 3x ERJ-175 and MEM goes from 2x ERJ-145 to 1x 737-800.

Also Austin and St. Louis used to operate a mix of mainline/Eagle, now all mainline.

I think definitely still a lot of TBD adjustments in the schedule. Oddly Richmond and Norfolk are down to one daily (although Richmond with a 737-800) which doesn't make sense - they typically are 2-3x daily (and indeed are at that frequency up until November 1st). Minneapolis is also showing only 1x a day which is odd (but mainline, compared to more usual 2-3x ERJ-175).

And some destinations still "missing" even though they are in the schedule right up until November 1st, like Columbia/CAE.

Long and short of it, I don't think the schedule we see is anywhere near final.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BoeingGuy

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:11 pm

86hoya wrote:
Twice weekly service MIA-ADZ (Wednesday and Saturday) is a low risk method to dip your toe in a vacation destination with relatively limited hotel options for Americans - may open up for more Canada-MIA-beach traffic.

I recall a thread while back where a few people predicted that AA should try MIA-ADZ. Colombia was one my personal favorite countries that I’ve been to, although I didn’t visit San Andres Island. For beachgoers, it sounds like an amazing place.

PVD757

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:52 pm

PVD-MIA on AA remains elusive. I guess the numbers just don’t project good enough to add it.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:01 pm

PVD757 wrote:
PVD-MIA on AA remains elusive. I guess the numbers just don’t project good enough to add it.

That and BUF. It’s odd especially because Frontier flies them and you’d think they’d want to protect share.

tlecam

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:01 pm

I think it’s smart for AA to add these hubs. Domestic flying is going to be higher in the near future; why not see if they can make some money, even if the routes aren’t viable once more international travel resumes.

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:01 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Hate to be a downer, but it's hard to see MIA-PDX happening when they cannot maintain a stable CLT-PDX schedule (since CLT is a more integral hub for AA than MIA is).

PDX-MIA would have O&D in a way that PDX-CLT would not (cruise travelers, among other), and MIA brings the Caribbean destination set not fully replicated by DFW.

asuflyer

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:39 pm

AA has also loaded PHL-KIN A321 3x weekly.

PITFlyer330

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:06 am

tphuang wrote:
OMAAT on this https://onemileatatime.com/news/america ... expansion/

This kind of illustrates the problem AA has against NK. Thew new routes are really just pre-emptive srikes to discourage NK from adding them. The frequency additions will hurt LCC/ULCC yield on some markets, but they are not going to even slowdown the ongoing NK/F9 explosion to Florida. And they are going to definitely hurt AA yield here. The MIA airport fee changes really hurt AA here.

how are these new routes strikes against spirit? they dont even fly to these 6 places

RWA380

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:11 am

AC4500 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

AA has & has not. Part of their biggest issue with premium or frequent flyers, were the MD-80's. We worked very closely with the regional sales rep for AA & she was always offering our entire office incentives to move 3% market-share & everyone would get 2 free Business Class Systemwide Tickets. Later on, the lack of connectivity to most places we fly was awful. Flying PDX-DFW-LGA is longer than PDX-ORD-LGA or PDX-MSP-LGA.

We barely did it, but it's very hard to push AA in PDX, with everyone that has flown them on a 4 hour PDX-DFW or PDX-ORD on the M80 hated them, as they were slower & .seemed cramped. I liked them, even in Y.

AS flies PDX-FLL & so does B6, that is where the traffic demands are drawn to. MIA is bigger, but I bet the demand is lower from PDX. It's well known PDX does not garner great numbers for S. America & Caribbean travel that warrant an entire aircraft, which is why it's such a long trip (minimum 2 connections on AA).

As US travel trends have changed, maybe AA can operate a daily 738 PDX-MIA, But let's hope it's timed for local traffic & not S. American traffic. Maybe if cruises rebound it may offer another aspect to the argument for it. I think it would be AA operating it, if it were to start, and that is more a big IF!

I loved them, but I was often in F, a very quiet ride & wonderful Hagan Das Ice Cream Sundaes. Yet I would agree with every bullet point, PDX has barely sustained a PDX-CLT connection, I doubt PDX-PHL comes back for a long time, never say never.

I still think AA drops PDX-LAX the moment they can, summer seasonal maybe or with one connection (ala United) for South Pacific Connections & Hawaii.

N649DL

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:59 am

MAH4546 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

That and BUF. It’s odd especially because Frontier flies them and you’d think they’d want to protect share.

MIA-BUF has been on an off seasonally by AA, I think using E175 or 319. Just very inconsistent.

I'm so happy for this though as I've said it for years that there needs to be more New England to MIA flights into the AA hub. BTV-MIA being the most surprising. Part of the reason for hesitation is probably for flying over the CLT hub (much like what AA had to deal with in the 1990s at RDU) so we'll see how it goes.

usflyer msp

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:09 am

MAH4546 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

In the case of BUF, I think they don't want to use an E75 because the CASM is not competitive with F9. BUF is very close to the the point (35 mainline flights per week) where they can't add more mainline flights without having to insource the station so that complicates things.

N649DL

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:22 am

RWA380 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

AA has & has not. Part of their biggest issue with premium or frequent flyers, were the MD-80's. We worked very closely with the regional sales rep for AA & she was always offering our entire office incentives to move 3% market-share & everyone would get 2 free Business Class Systemwide Tickets. Later on, the lack of connectivity to most places we fly was awful. Flying PDX-DFW-LGA is longer than PDX-ORD-LGA or PDX-MSP-LGA.

We barely did it, but it's very hard to push AA in PDX, with everyone that has flown them on a 4 hour PDX-DFW or PDX-ORD on the M80 hated them, as they were slower & .seemed cramped. I liked them, even in Y.

AS flies PDX-FLL & so does B6, that is where the traffic demands are drawn to. MIA is bigger, but I bet the demand is lower from PDX. It's well known PDX does not garner great numbers for S. America & Caribbean travel that warrant an entire aircraft, which is why it's such a long trip (minimum 2 connections on AA).

As US travel trends have changed, maybe AA can operate a daily 738 PDX-MIA, But let's hope it's timed for local traffic & not S. American traffic. Maybe if cruises rebound it may offer another aspect to the argument for it. I think it would be AA operating it, if it were to start, and that is more a big IF!

I loved them, but I was often in F, a very quiet ride & wonderful Hagan Das Ice Cream Sundaes. Yet I would agree with every bullet point, PDX has barely sustained a PDX-CLT connection, I doubt PDX-PHL comes back for a long time, never say never.

I still think AA drops PDX-LAX the moment they can, summer seasonal maybe or with one connection (ala United) for South Pacific Connections & Hawaii.

This I would believe. They certainly catered the S80 well too. Back in 2007 flying LAX-DFW-EWR I was able to get upgraded using certs to F (in College) and a "Snack" on DFW-EWR was a full on salmon dinner in the early afternoon. Flying between LAX and NYC in college it was usually not via DFW, but it certainly got tiring and boring flying on the S80 all the time and sometimes going out of the way as well. So to the point where I tried out UA for a bit getting on 757s on say LAX-DEN-EWR because it was a little more "exciting".

Buddys747

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 am

These are great adds!
Wonder when we will see MDT, ABE and MHT?
AVL would be interesting with the large G4 presence to FLL.

USAirALB

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:52 am

AC4500 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

CLT-PDX was definitely twice daily more than 2-3 weeks. It was twice daily for the entire summer season. The route has been flown daily since its introduction back after the HP merger. It's flying daily now. It looks like it's going to operate on some weird 5x weekly schedule the last two weeks of August but it goes back to daily service in September.

MSNfan

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:58 am

NWAESC wrote:

Agreed! Great to see Madison get more routes to go along with their recently announced terminal expansion.

Detroit313

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:40 am

As of November 2, 2021, American will be increasing frequencies from Miami to the following destinations:

Baltimore (BWI) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Cleveland (CLE) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Detroit (DTW) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Guatemala City (GUA) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Jacksonville (JAX) is increasing from 5x daily to 7x daily
Nashville (BNA) is increasing from 3x daily to 5x daily
New Orleans (MSY) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily
Orlando (MCO) is increasing from 6x daily to 10x daily
Raleigh-Durham (RDU) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily
San Juan (SJU) is increasing from 5x daily to 6x daily
San Jose (SJO) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
San Pedro Sula (SAP) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Santo Domingo (SDQ) is increasing from 4x daily to 6x daily
Tampa (TPA) increasing from 5x daily to 8x daily

albspotter

Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:16 pm

I'm very happy to see ALB receive MIA from AA, even it's Sat-only. I hope this also pressures Southwest to restart FLL-ALB because they cut that due to covid, and that route is very convenient for me when I go to my Florida house. Also I hope this also encourages AA to add DFW too, since all the other airports on this list also have it, or going to have it soon.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 pm

BTV-SYR-ALB-ROC are such similar airports. Of course numbers vary but where the people are heading is very similar. I think miami will work

HanCholo

Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 pm

PA12 wrote:
ELP please.

Ditto! At least Saturday service to ELP! That would be great!

dbo861

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
As of November 2, 2021, American will be increasing frequencies from Miami to the following destinations:

Baltimore (BWI) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Cleveland (CLE) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Detroit (DTW) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Guatemala City (GUA) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Jacksonville (JAX) is increasing from 5x daily to 7x daily
Nashville (BNA) is increasing from 3x daily to 5x daily
New Orleans (MSY) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily
Orlando (MCO) is increasing from 6x daily to 10x daily
Raleigh-Durham (RDU) is increasing from 4x daily to 5x daily
San Juan (SJU) is increasing from 5x daily to 6x daily
San Jose (SJO) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
San Pedro Sula (SAP) is increasing from 2x daily to 3x daily
Santo Domingo (SDQ) is increasing from 4x daily to 6x daily
Tampa (TPA) increasing from 5x daily to 8x daily

Also, DSM is going daily through the winter. It has only been twice weekly on weekends.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos