Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LightChop2Chop
Topic Author

AA adds MIA-CTM & ADZ

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:36 pm

AA is adding both Chetumal, Mexico and San Andres, Colombia. Both very niche markets but but have a lot of potential. I believe this is CTMs first flights to the US. Definitely outside the box thinking for AA.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... e=facebook

OzarkD9S

Re: AA adds MIA-CTM & ADZ

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:45 pm

I've wanted to visit ADZ for a while now but it always involved 2 connections from STL. One stop over MIA, down on Wed back on Sat suits me just fine.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

IFLYUA767

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm

It sounds like AA is doing this to respond to NK invading their turf at MIA. It makes sense given that AA has ruled MIA for the last thirty years.

LightChop2Chop
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:36 pm

I looked up CTM and it is not a small city by any means. I wonder how long before UA says "me too". UA was in MID long before AA was and UA loves to serve secondary Mexican cities with RJs.

aacun

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 pm

Not too mention Chetumal is the capital of Quintana Roo……

aacun

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:54 pm

aacun wrote:
Not to mention that Chetumal is the capital of Quintana Roo……

alfa164

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:06 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
I've wanted to visit ADZ for a while now but it always involved 2 connections from STL. One stop over MIA, down on Wed back on Sat suits me just fine.

Having visited San Andres Island a few years ago, I would say that is about the perfect length of time to stay. Other than beach time, there isn't much to see or do (although the prominent church located on a hilltop south of San Andres City - you can't miss it - is worth an hour or so): a few good restaurants in the city, a few more along the south-east part of the "ring road", and... will, I am still thinking. Speaking of San Andres City, I wouldn't stay there; it is crowded, noisy, and smells more of exhaust fumes than of tropical freshness. Small hotels in the southeast offer more quiet and better beaches. San Andres is popular with Colombians because it is an easy trip for them, not because it is "paradise found".

All-in-all, it is an interesting island to add to your photo collection - but don't expect to come home with that many great photos. Consider it an R&R trip, and you'll feel fine.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

OzarkD9S

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:10 pm

alfa164 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Having visited San Andres Island a few years ago, I would say that is about the perfect length of time to stay. Other than beach time, there isn't much to see or do (although the prominent church located on a hilltop south of San Andres City - you can't miss it - is worth an hour or so): a few good restaurants in the city, a few more along the south-east part of the "ring road", and... will, I am still thinking. Speaking of San Andres City, I wouldn't stay there; it is crowded, noisy, and smells more of exhaust fumes than of tropical freshness. Small hotels in the southeast offer more quiet and better beaches. San Andres is popular with Colombians because it is an easy trip for them, not because it is "paradise found".

All-in-all, it is an interesting island to add to your photo collection - but don't expect to come home with that many great photos. Consider it an R&R trip, and you'll feel fine.

Thanks for the tips. At this point, all of my trips are R&R so good to know its a decent option for that type of getaway.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

BoeingGuy

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:29 pm

alfa164 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I’m personally an adventure traveler, not a sit on the beach person. Since I love Colombia, I thought about adding ADZ to a future trip. Sounds like it might be better to give it a miss for my personal travel interests.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:51 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
UA loves to serve secondary Mexican cities with RJs.

That certainly was the modus operandi of CO. As the single-class planes go away so also will some of the tertiary routes.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:59 pm

CTM is interesting. Spent time there years ago for work. Nice enough with access to Northern Belize and parts of the Mayan Riviera up the road but both those locales are accessible via BZE or CZM/CUN . Interesting add. Like MID I would imagine it is the type of route that will only work well from a MIA or IAH on short stage flights and many connections. CTM is not as charming ae MID IMO but a larger city nonetheless.
Ci sono formiche qui

FSDan

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:06 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
I looked up CTM and it is not a small city by any means. I wonder how long before UA says "me too". UA was in MID long before AA was and UA loves to serve secondary Mexican cities with RJs.

The more recent trajectory has been UA cutting smaller Mexican markets (SLW, PBC, VSA, CME, etc.) and AA adding them (LTO, LAP, CUL, etc.).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:54 am

Is this the first time we've seen a US carrier use an E170/175 on an intercontinental route from the lower 48?

.....I'm drawing a blank, attempting to think of a previous example.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

2travel2know2

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Is this the first time we've seen a US carrier use an E170/175 on an intercontinental route from the lower 48?

AA has sent its E175 to PTY if that counts as intercontinental.

RE: ADZ added to AA network
Don't expect ADZ to be RTB or CZM. It has its attractions but it's not for those looking for holidays on AUA, SXM, PUJ..
Colombians from San Andres have a diaspora in USA (my guess: mostly in NYC - but Brooklyn, not Queens - and with less numbers, in Dade/Broward counties), they'll surely welcome the non-stop from MIA.
No more transfers in BOG or PTY for them.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LightChop2Chop
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:02 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

No AA regularly uses them (or at least used to) to PTY, LIR, BZE, CZM, RTB and others. I would suspect B6 uses them in the Caribbean as well. I am pretty sure some routes out of SJU see them.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

No, AA has used them to Barranquilla. But ADZ is in North America, off the coast of Honduras.
a.

LightChop2Chop
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:45 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

No, AA has used them to Barranquilla. But ADZ is in North America, off the coast of Honduras.

Not to nitpick, but ADZ is off the coast of Nicaragua not Honduras. The islands of Honduras would be the Bay Islands (Roatan, Utila, Guanaja etc)

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:19 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
No AA regularly uses them (or at least used to) to PTY, LIR, BZE, CZM, RTB

None of which are intercontinental routings from anywhere in the Lower 48, as the question clearly asks.............

MAH4546 wrote:
No, AA has used them to Barranquilla.

Thanks!

MAH4546 wrote:
But ADZ is in North America

I know, but CTM isn't.
That's the one I was looking at.

2travel2know2 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

AA has sent its E175 to PTY if that counts as intercontinental.

Regardless as to whether one is using the European or N.American approaches to geography: that wouldn't count either way.

Panama is squarely within North America.

LightChop2Chop
Topic Author

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:30 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

MAH4546 wrote:

I know, but CTM isn't.

Chetumal, MX (CTM) is very much in North America

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:34 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

MAH4546 wrote:

I know, but CTM isn't.

Read that wrong. Switch the two.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:50 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I know, but CTM isn't.

Read that wrong. Switch the two.

Yeah but San Andres, Colombia is also in North America. It's not part of South America, it's a Caribbean island off the coast of Central America.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos