Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Gulf Air A321 engine fire upon landing at Kuwait

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 pm

Gulf Air flight GF215 from Bahrain to Kuwait, operates by an A321. One of the engines was on fire upon landing. All 7 crew members and 62 passengers were evacuated safely.
Last edited by xwb777 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ikolkyo

Re: Gulf Air A320 engine fire upon landing at Kuwait

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Definitely an A321, looks like it’s V2500 powered as well.

xwb777
Topic Author

Re: Gulf Air A320 engine fire upon landing at Kuwait

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:10 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Definitely an A321, looks like it’s V2500 powered as well.

Yes it is! My mistake :)

xwb777
Topic Author

Re: Gulf Air A321 engine fire upon landing at Kuwait

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PANAMsterdam

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:47 pm

“On fire upon landing”

Does that mean the built in fire suppression system didn’t work? Or did the engine catch fire after touchdown?
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

zeke

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
“On fire upon landing”

Does that mean the built in fire suppression system didn’t work? Or did the engine catch fire after touchdown?

Looks like it was the left engine, the slides forward and aft of the engine are not deployed.

Engine fires are detected between the area where there is supposed to be combustion and the outer nacelle, where the systems run. It is possible to have a failure inside the engine which should stop once the fire bush button is pushed.

If you have a fire indication close to landing there are different schools of thought on what do, some advocate delay the landing and sort the problem out, others advocate continue the landing and sort it out on the ground.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

AustrianSimon

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:13 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Gulf Air flight GF215 from Bahrain to Kuwait, operates by an A321. One of the engines was on fire upon landing. All 7 crew members and 62 passengers were evacuated safely.

Landing was entirely normal, aircraft vacated the runway without any distress, received taxi clearance, taxied and about 2 minutes after vacating the runway stopped and evacuated. As the crew reported their problem speaking Arabic, I can't tell what the nature of the problem was indeed, however, given how the slides were deployed a left engine fire warning appears possible.

basspaul

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 pm

AustrianSimon wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

Landing was entirely normal, aircraft vacated the runway without any distress, received taxi clearance, taxied and about 2 minutes after vacating the runway stopped and evacuated. As the crew reported their problem speaking Arabic, I can't tell what the nature of the problem was indeed, however, given how the slides were deployed a left engine fire warning appears possible.

It seems a very tragic lesson learned was forgotten, don't assume you don't have a fire if you have the warning for a fire. Land and stop, don't go for a joyride around the airport. Messed up ops at an airport is always the better choice than risking lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

I remember seeing that burnt airframe as a kid.

AustrianSimon

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:48 pm

basspaul wrote:
It seems a very tragic lesson learned was forgotten, don't assume you don't have a fire if you have the warning for a fire. Land and stop, don't go for a joyride around the airport. Messed up ops at an airport is always the better choice than risking lives.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding: there was no problem until 2 minutes after vacating the runway, then the indication started, they stopped, informed ATC and emergency services and evacuated.

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:45 pm

I think the emergency has started on approach to the airport. Emirates B777 has been instructed to enter a holding pattern to give way to the GF A321.

zeke

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:07 am

xwb777 wrote:
I think the emergency has started on approach to the airport. Emirates B777 has been instructed to enter a holding pattern to give way to the GF A321.

Maybe, they will also routinely delay other airlines airlines landing and departing. Gulf Air always gets priority there in my experience.

I remember calling for a push there and I had to wait for the Gulf Air next to me to push first, and they still had cargo doors open. Often got holds on downwind to make room for Gulf Air.

What you also don’t see in that FR24 is the US military run a lot of helicopters and ospreys to the northern part of the runway.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

n797mx

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 am

Is it me, or does it look like the R2 door would hurt to evacuate through with that slope?
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

zeke

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:21 am

n797mx wrote:
Is it me, or does it look like the R2 door would hurt to evacuate through with that slope?

There is always a risk with any evacuation that limbs will be broken, a decision to evacuate is not one that is taken lightly.

rida79

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:18 am

xwb777 wrote:

Actually the radar system at KWI was out yesterday for almost an hour, and airplanes were instructed to either divert or go around until the issue was fixed. Talk about a coincidence!!

Aesma

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:15 am

Was the evacuation really necessary in the end ? Not saying it was a bad call but there doesn't seem to be a major fire either.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

9252fly

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:28 am

Aesma wrote:
Was the evacuation really necessary in the end ? Not saying it was a bad call but there doesn't seem to be a major fire either.

That's something easy to say in hindsight after the fact.

Avgeek21

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 am

zeke wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

Maybe, they will also routinely delay other airlines airlines landing and departing. Gulf Air always gets priority there in my experience.

I remember calling for a push there and I had to wait for the Gulf Air next to me to push first, and they still had cargo doors open. Often got holds on downwind to make room for Gulf Air.

What you also don’t see in that FR24 is the US military run a lot of helicopters and ospreys to the northern part of the runway.

Not true regarding Gulf Air. I flew for them for a number of years. Great outfit but we never got priority other than at times at Bahrain airport itself. But that’s understandable as it was our home base.

zeke

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 am

Avgeek21 wrote:
Not true regarding Gulf Air. I flew for them for a number of years. Great outfit but we never got priority other than at times at Bahrain airport itself. But that’s understandable as it was our home base.

That is my personal experience, I have had to hold and delayed from pushing for that very reason.

All I can think of is when you were there they were out of flavour, it’s not like states over there to have petty grudges against each other and then kiss and make up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos