Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DKNEF
Topic Author

China Eastern interested in Mexicana.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:45 pm

China Eastern Airlines is analyzing in being part of Mexicana's rescue in order to have a market between China and Mexico. I know AM dropped its Shanghai route couple years ago and both China Southern and Hainan dropped Mexico a year ago. I think AMLO is really serious about Mexicana's return especially after that Interjet went belly up. Link in Spanish..

https://www.lapoliticaonline.com.mx/not ... -mexicana/

English translation from the source via Google..
"In the framework of the 100th anniversary of Mexicana de Aviación and more than ten years after it ceased to operate, the expectations that this important airline will be reactivated are not extinguished, as LPO learned, this case has already attracted the attention of Chinese investors, who evaluate a purchase, however, the Mexican market is less optimistic about it.

It is the company China Eastern Airlines that would be analyzing the rescue of the oldest Mexican airline, in order to create connections between China and Mexico City, according to sources with knowledge of the matter, who preferred anonymity."

wedgetail737

Re: China Eastern interested in Mexicana.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:06 am

I'll believe that when I see it. I give that as much of a chance as Ravn starting up Northern Pacific. But...if it becomes a reality, I hope they don't use the last color scheme.

dcajet

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:29 am

Won't happen... Wishful thinking from this news outlet (La Política Online), which, btw, operates for AMLO's administration. Smoke and mirrors...

airlinepeanuts

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:30 am

If anything I would think resurrecting Interjet might be a better option

TerminalD

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:38 am

Wait till they find out MX is now Breeze

cityshuttle

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:34 am

TerminalD wrote:
Wait till they find out MX is now Breeze

True ;-)

FSDan

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:57 am

Couldn't MU seek to tighten relations with SkyTeam partners AM and/or DL if they're interested in growing the China-Mexico market?

alfa164

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:35 am

FSDan wrote:
Couldn't MU seek to tighten relations with SkyTeam partners AM and/or DL if they're interested in growing the China-Mexico market?

That's one thing that makes this whole think smell fishy: DL owns 49% of AM, if I recall correctly; it also has a small percentage (is it about 4%?) of MU, as well as an "observer" seat on their Board. It any Chinese airline were interested in MX, I would think China Southern might be the one.

dcajet wrote:
Won't happen... Wishful thinking from this news outlet (La Política Online), which, btw, operates for AMLO's administration. Smoke and mirrors...

... and maybe wishful thinking, like: "If we start this rumor, maybe somebody in China will pay attention..."

socaljoeyb

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:45 am

If they brought back Mexicana would they try to force Volaris and Viva to use the new airport and take their slots at MEX for Mexicana? Could the government do this without compensation to Viva and Volaris?

FSDan

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:51 am

alfa164 wrote:
DL owns 49% of AM, if I recall correctly; it also has a small percentage (is it about 4%?) of MU, as well as an "observer" seat on their Board.

Well, their stake in AM is gone now since AM went into bankruptcy. No idea what the status of their investment in MU is...

santi319

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:58 am

Take Mexican news always with a grain of salt, specially with the current Government…..

Think Venezuela posting news in 2002…

alfa164

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:02 am

FSDan wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
DL owns 49% of AM, if I recall correctly; it also has a small percentage (is it about 4%?) of MU, as well as an "observer" seat on their Board.

Well, their stake in AM is gone now since AM went into bankruptcy. No idea what the status of their investment in MU is...

Not necessarily, depending on the recommendations of the Creditors' Committee, and the decisions of the Bankruptcy Court. Wiping out equit capital happens more often than not, but it certainly isn't always the case. The fact that Delta bought a small stake in AeroMexico's debt tells me that they want a seat at the proceedings and might think they could guide the other creditors towards allowing DL to retain an equity interest - even if it is a smaller equity interest than previously.

FSDan

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:07 am

alfa164 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Not necessarily, depending on the recommendations of the Creditors' Committee, and the decisions of the Bankruptcy Court. Wiping out equit capital happens more often than not, but it certainly isn't always the case. The fact that Delta bought a small stake in AeroMexico's debt tells me that they want a seat at the proceedings and might think they could guide the other creditors towards allowing DL to retain an equity interest - even if it is a smaller equity interest than previously.

Fair.

Italianflyer

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:15 am

santi319 wrote:
Take Mexican news always with a grain of salt, specially with the current Government…..

Think Venezuela posting news in 2002…

Sadly this is true on so many levels.

Maybe they can form a alliance with New Eastern. The concept is ridiculous. Better luck trying to get AM to restart it....or just have MU fly it themselves.
And where is MU coming up with all this money? (Being on life support and all).

ShanghaiNoon

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:31 am

FSDan wrote:

It would be too much of a headache with Mexicans and Chinese both needing transit visas for the US.

dcajet

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:59 am

alfa164 wrote:

dcajet wrote:

... and maybe wishful thinking, like: "If we start this rumor, maybe somebody in China will pay attention..."

I'd give more credit to the Chinese!!!

CMA727

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:56 pm

Any foreign inverstor, not just China Eastern that´s interested in helping bring back Mexicana will for sure get scared out of any potential deal the moment those making the decision are informed about the reality of union issues related to whatever is left of Mexicana.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos