Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fltbumped
Topic Author

Lufthansa back in Tehran with 2 planes?

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Hello,

noticed 2 A340-300 in Tehran IKA on Friday June 25,2021. One was on a remote stand, the other on a terminal doced with a Jetway...

Was this due to Technical difficulty or is this a regular occurrence? tried aviation herald but there was no mention of a postponed departure from IKA.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, best regards

a300

Re: Lufthansa back in Tehran with 2 planes?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm

This has been going on since LH restarted flights to IKA. The inbound flight stays overnight. The one already on the ground from 24-36 prior does the return flight. Of course, there is surplus of aircraft so the two plane approach is feasible. I am still not clear as to why they are employing such a strategy. Perhaps ground crew re-familiarization in IKA.

fltbumped
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Thank You.

cedarjet

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Great to see a European airline back in beautiful Iran. Lufty was always the leader in recent years, nightly 747 when other airlines sent A320s (AZ, OS) or at most MD-11/A330 (KL)

migair54

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:25 pm

A340-300?? I am quite surprise they still fly those, I though they are long gone from LH fleet.

If they are heavy on take off, and with IKA elevation, the take off roll must be quite long, I remember seeing A343 in MAD and they always look like they are going to finish every cm of runway, and MAD is only 2000' elevation.

Nowadays with COVID I see a lot of planes staying much longer than before, the other day I saw in Dubai BA, KLM, EL AL, all in remote stands and I think they spent the whole day in there.

777luver

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:02 pm

migair54 wrote:
A340-300?? I am quite surprise they still fly those, I though they are long gone from LH fleet.

If they are heavy on take off, and with IKA elevation, the take off roll must be quite long, I remember seeing A343 in MAD and they always look like they are going to finish every cm of runway, and MAD is only 2000' elevation.

Nowadays with COVID I see a lot of planes staying much longer than before, the other day I saw in Dubai BA, KLM, EL AL, all in remote stands and I think they spent the whole day in there.

Ummmmmm they are not long gone, 17 are still in the active fleet lol

DirkPV

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:15 pm

777luver wrote:
migair54 wrote:

Ummmmmm they are not long gone, 17 are still in the active fleet lol

That got me thinking, although slightly off topic; will the A343 survive the A380 in the LH fleet?

yvphx

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 am

From the information I’ve seen, there currently is talk of the A380 AND A346 being brought back on a temporary demand until more A359 and the 779 come on board. Right now from the US to FRA/MUC ect al, LH is averaging 95% load factor. Not bad considering European tourist are not allowed in the states yet. I suspect the A380 and A346 will be gone again at end of 2023/24

SpeedbirdDan

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:24 am

migair54 wrote:

The A343s are still active and during this pandemic period LH sends them to SIN from FRA (not sure why they don't use the A359s instead since BKK is currently serviced by the A359s from FRA).

NearMiss

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:21 am

migair54 wrote:

Well, you know what they say: We pay for the whole runway, we use the whole runway :biggrin:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos