Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

Finnair adds long-haul from Sweden: ARN-MIA/BKK/HKT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 am

Finnair will launch non-stops from Stockholm to Miami, Bangkok and Phuket this winter.

Bangkok launches on October 23rd at 5x a week, increasing to daily November 28th.

Miami also launches on October 23rd, initially twice a week and then increasing to 4x a week on November 29th.

Phuket launches on October 24th and will operate once a week initially, increasing to 3w by November 30th.

All three destinations are also, of course, served by Finnair already non-stop from Helsinki.

Finnair will compete with Thai on Stockholm-Bangkok and SAS on Stockholm-Miami, but be the only scheduled carrier on Stockholm-Phuket.

Source:
https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news ... om-sweden/
a.

BawliBooch

Re: Finnair adds long-haul from Sweden: ARN-MIA/BKK/HKT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 am

MIA, BKK, HKT.

These look like Winter only flights to Sunny destinations?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:43 am

I believe Sunclass and maybe TUI also operate Stockholm-Phuket flights.

This will be interesting to see how it works out. I hope Finnair will expand further in Sweden as it’s great for us Oneworld flyers based here.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 am

Finnair would be foolish to operate long haul out of ARN for any longer than the after effects of the pandemic last. This should be a temporary measure until long haul business travel resumes... and nothing more. If travel between Europe and major cities in east Asia is not fairly robust by December 2022, Finnair have a major problem

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:15 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Finnair would be foolish to operate long haul out of ARN for any longer than the after effects of the pandemic last. This should be a temporary measure until long haul business travel resumes... and nothing more. If travel between Europe and major cities in east Asia is not fairly robust by December 2022, Finnair have a major problem

Why? SAS offer a relatively poor network from ARN, Swedes have a high propensity to travel and there is a significant Oneworld flyer base in Stockholm (you only have to see the gold card lane on a BA flight from ARN). There would certainly be a few routes which could work beyond the pandemic. Finnair also has a good reputation here.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:21 am

The cost of running effectively a separate mini base away from their home hub, to serve a seasonal long haul leisure market where they have no compelling advantage over other airlines
If SAS struggled to achieve strong profitability on Stockholm-Bangkok pre Covid with all the advantages of a home hub and a major partner carrier in Bangkok... then I don't see why Finnair can do significantly better

jhz94

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 am

SAS stopped flying to BKK years ago. At the time when they operated ARN-BKK, they also did fly ARN-PEK. But it seems like company politics (a pilot source) that brought both those routes to an end.
Did you know that you can run diesel cars on Jet A1?

LH748

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:18 am

I think it's a great and logical move. SK is very very focused on CPH for their longhaul operation and both ARN will like the added attention.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:23 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The cost of running effectively a separate mini base away from their home hub, to serve a seasonal long haul leisure market where they have no compelling advantage over other airlines
If SAS struggled to achieve strong profitability on Stockholm-Bangkok pre Covid with all the advantages of a home hub and a major partner carrier in Bangkok... then I don't see why Finnair can do significantly better

SAS is a poorly run airline and hasn’t served Thailand for years now.

Finnair have said it will be crewed with Finnair pilots and cabin crew from a partner service so that probably reduces the cost slightly. They already operate from ARN so have established systems in place and probably know the market well.

The A350s could also be rotated through on the HEL-ARN service when needed.

Ultimately I imagine it is just a stop gap but if loads and yields are good Finnair might consider it. This is similar to Aer Lingus new MAN base.

Kikko19

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 am

seansasLCY wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Finnair have said it will be crewed with Finnair pilots and cabin crew from a partner service so that probably reduces the cost slightly. They already operate from ARN so have established systems in place and probably know the market well.

Ultimately I imagine it is just a stop gap but if loads and yields are good Finnair might consider it. This is similar to Aer Lingus new MAN base.

If SK and TG didn't make money, once again, I don't see how AY would succeed.

NZ321

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Finnair will launch non-stops from Stockholm to Miami, Bangkok and Phuket this winter.

Bangkok launches on October 23rd at 5x a week, increasing to daily November 28th.

Miami also launches on October 23rd, initially twice a week and then increasing to 4x a week on November 29th.

Phuket launches on October 24th and will operate once a week initially, increasing to 3w by November 30th.

All three destinations are also, of course, served by Finnair already non-stop from Helsinki.

Finnair will compete with Thai on Stockholm-Bangkok and SAS on Stockholm-Miami, but be the only scheduled carrier on Stockholm-Phuket.

Source:
https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news ... om-sweden/

Love it. They will give SK a serious run for their money if they decide to hang around on long haul; testing the water?
Plane mad!

aemoreira1981

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:27 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

The problem is China. China had been a major part of Finnair’s eastward expansion, but with vaccine disputes, it’s unlikely that the West will reopen to them anytime soon or Vice versa. They need to fly their A350s somewhere.

Also, I don’t see them taking on SK head-on.

Efhkspotter

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:31 pm

Only a slight problem. Thailand and USA borders will most likely remain closed for Europeans during the winter.

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Efhkspotter wrote:
Only a slight problem. Thailand and USA borders will most likely remain closed for Europeans during the winter.

Phuket at least is already open to Europeans.

YQBexYHZBGM

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

If SK and TG didn't make money, once again, I don't see how AY would succeed.

This surprises me. Thailand is a major sun holiday destination from Sweden, and given the length of the flights, I don't see ULCCs being able to take a significant piece of the market. Yes, there are some budget-driven travelers in this market, but I find it odd that profit margins would be so low (or non-existent).

Perhaps the idea that the forward cabin generates the profit for the entire flight applies, but not all occupants of the J/F seats are business travelers, and I'm sure leisure travelers who have the means would purchase a significant portion of these seats for a flight of this length. (Although, on second thought, if they're using FF status and rewards to get those seats rather than paying for them, the profitability would suffer). In the absence of a significant need for cargo uplift on this route and limited business travel demand even in the absence COVID, I can see where profitability might be challenging, but not impossible. But I do concur, once business travel demand returns between HEL and major business markets in East Asia, it's likely that AY will redeploy the aircraft on more lucrative business routes.

x1234

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:34 pm

I don't see Finnair flying HEL-MIA right now. When is the resumption date?

Miami

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 pm

x1234 wrote:

November 6, 2021.
Last edited by Miami on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 pm

x1234 wrote:

November 6.
a.

2travel2know2

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Both AY and AA belong to One World.
ARN isn't AY hub, if AY wants to fill any void left by SK and turn ARN into a focus airport, that's another thing.
Wonder if AY and AA ever talked about AY code-share ARN-MIA on AA metal?
AY ARN-FLL had no chance, as MIA is a One World hub, regardless if AY ARN-MIA will be a mostly P2P route.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:47 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Both AY and AA belong to One World.
ARN isn't AY hub, if AY wants to fill any void left by SK and turn ARN into a focus airport, that's another thing.
Wonder if AY and AA ever talked about AY code-share ARN-MIA on AA metal?
AY ARN-FLL had no chance, as MIA is a One World hub, regardless if AY ARN-MIA will be a mostly P2P route.

Finnair is part of the JBA. The flight will have AA, BA and IB codes by default.
a.

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:10 pm

I see this more as AY replacing Norwegian not taking on SAS.

chonetsao

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:13 pm

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Perhaps the idea that the forward cabin generates the profit for the entire flight applies, but not all occupants of the J/F seats are business travelers, and I'm sure leisure travelers who have the means would purchase a significant portion of these seats for a flight of this length. (Although, on second thought, if they're using FF status and rewards to get those seats rather than paying for them, the profitability would suffer).

I would like to point out your misconception on frequent flyer mileage redemption. And I hope information below could help:
1, Even on profitable flights, the average paying J/F flyers are only 50% of even less. So for a 30 seats J cabin, the paying customers are expected to be around 13-15 to make the flight not to loose huge amount of money.
2, Frequent flyer mile redemption on J class is not free. Operating carrier get compensated by issuing carrier based on pre-set level in their contract. Of course it would not be as much as cash ticket, and often it only covers basic operational costs, but often it is still better than a cheap advance FIT leisure fare sold in coach (economy class).
3, There is a famous case with American Airlines few quarters ago (I think either 2018 or early 2019), that the airlines suffered in revenue and profit, its CFO blamed its system had to reduce the frequent flyer mileage redemption availability due to some issues and the airline failed to meet the revenue and profit guidance. If you are interested you could search news to read about it. What this tells you is that if you do not do frequent flyer redemption the financial situation could be worse.
4, There is a tool airline uses called Revenue Management, basically it controls how many seats sold on each flight would be open for mileage redemption, how many sold in different class and at what level. So we go back to the first point I made, airlines with a 30J cabin would expect to sell 13-15 cash tickets, and the rest had to be filled with redemption, employee travel and airport/online cash auction upgrades. It is not uncommon for legacy airlines to have 4-6 redemption in a 30J cabin.
5, Traditionally ARN/OSL/CPH is a market where J promotional fares to Bangkok/Southeast Asia run at USD$1,750-1,800 return level. So a single trip revenue for the airline would be USD$875-900 in J class. It is a very affordable J class travel to Southeast Asia from ARN/OSL/CPH. Airlines would rather a flyer to redeem on this route than a $3,000-4,000 return business route.
6, Finally, I am guessing Finnair has a surplus aircraft issue for this coming winter. It is better to get some more steady revenue than park the aircraft or fly it empty. Any ticket sale that brings in revenue would be a good thing.

JetBuddy

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:19 pm

There's been nothing stopping Finnair from opening up long haul in ARN, CPH or OSL for a long time. The reason they're doing it now is likely to capture market share at the most opportune time.

I'm wondering what SAS will do. They have new A350s being delivered and current frames being pulled from storage.

konkret

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Is there any particular reason why AY flies BGO-ARN?

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:44 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

The problem is China. China had been a major part of Finnair’s eastward expansion, but with vaccine disputes, it’s unlikely that the West will reopen to them anytime soon or Vice versa. They need to fly their A350s somewhere.

Also, I don’t see them taking on SK head-on.

Spot on. Asia and China in particular, is the corner stone of Finnair's long haul network and its competitive focus. The market for flights to the region will remain muted for a significant amount of time. There is no other place for Finnair to deploy long haul capacity and they had to get creative. I don't see an ARN hublet lasting in their future.

lesfalls

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:53 pm

konkret wrote:

The flight has been around for a couple of years with it being in codeshare with Wideroe enabling domestic connections in Norway. Thats all I can know.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Kikko19

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:29 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Nordic people are craving to go to vacation to Thailand next winter. So there might be some demand. But will still be one off. And only if New covid strains don't appear along the way.

kruiseri

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 pm

Is the frame going to be based at ARN, or do they fly the plane from HEL as a HEL-ARN flight first ?

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:46 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

AY has long a BKK cabin crew base (although I think they technically work for a contractor).

MareBorealis

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 pm

kruiseri wrote:
Is the frame going to be based at ARN, or do they fly the plane from HEL as a HEL-ARN flight first ?

According to AY three A350's will be based at ARN, flying ARN-XXX-HEL-XXX-ARN.

Finnair is not allowed to use their own cabin crew on these flights, they come from Airpro. At first the local union showed green light but the national Transport Workers’ Union (AKT) didin't accept the plan. The pilots come from AY.

In Finnish: https://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/finna ... uomalaista

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:11 pm

MareBorealis wrote:
kruiseri wrote:

Finnair is not allowed to use their own cabin crew on these flights, they come from Airpro. At first the local union showed green light but the national Transport Workers’ Union (AKT) didin't accept the plan. The pilots come from AY.

I'm curious as to why a Finnish union would rather have foreigners working than Finns? That makes little sense to me.

SurfandSnow

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:13 pm

IIRC Finnair invested a tremendous amount of its long haul capacity into HEL-China and HEL-Japan. Both of these East Asian markets are likely extremely challenging these days, and unfortunately that situation may not be changing anytime soon. If there was/is any void left behind by the cessation of Norwegian long haul operations, might as well attempt to fill it?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:22 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
MareBorealis wrote:
kruiseri wrote:

I'm curious as to why a Finnish union would rather have foreigners working than Finns? That makes little sense to me.

I would imagine they tried to stop it by refusing and Finnair called their bluff. Although Finnair has long used foreign crew so it’s nothing new.

MareBorealis

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:14 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
MareBorealis wrote:
kruiseri wrote:

The Transport Workers’ Union has a reputation of being a badass. They have often wrestled with Finnair.

It looks Finnair haven't given up getting their own cabin personnel on the new ARN long hauls. AY now encourage their laid off personnel to make temporary contracts with Airpro, these people could still return to AY they say. Airpro is a Finnish company, owned by an airport operator Finavia.

N1120A

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:38 pm

Efhkspotter wrote:

The Commerce Department has indicated that Labor Day is the latest that the US xenophobic border situation will end.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Galwayman

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Excellent idea -well done Finnair

They must have decades of data on travel and customers from ARN and their fantastic Asian crews are hard to beat

Fiend

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:11 pm

Efhkspotter wrote:

Europeans have been able to enter Thailand for quite a while now, but were required to stay at Approved State Quarantine hotels on arrival....
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

Galwayman

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:12 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

The base is essentially Bangkok in reality, not a big problem adding extra flights for the fabulous Thai crew ,

HJM

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:02 pm

AY using ARN as hub is not new, in the past they have operated European flights from there, for example to CPH.

MareBorealis

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:06 pm

HJM wrote:
AY using ARN as hub is not new, in the past they have operated European flights from there, for example to CPH.

Yeah they had an Euro hub in ARN in the late 1990's. From their annul report 1996/97: "A concerted effort to develop Stockholm as Finnair’s secondary hub continued. During the 1996/97 financial year, Finnair served a total of 14 destinations from Stockholm, including destinations in Finland."

In 2003-2007 Finnair had the LCC FlyNordic operating from ARN, with MD-82/83's. Was later bought by Norwegian.

Someone83

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:29 am

lesfalls wrote:
konkret wrote:

The flight has been around for a couple of years with it being in codeshare with Wideroe enabling domestic connections in Norway. Thats all I can know.

That flight has been going on for ages, long before they got cosy with Widerøe.

It used to be a key part of they Nordic offering to the Asian market, flying tourist on a round trip that included an ARN-BGO leg

davidjohnson6

Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:56 am

Is this for all the tourists doing the "Norway in a nutshell" tour between Oslo and Bergen ?

cityshuttle

Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 am

usflyer msp wrote:

I think so too. SAS might codeshare with Thai to BKK but that’s it. The market left vacant after Norwegian cancelled the longhaul routes is there. That’s what they are after.

On a personal note, I would suggest that AY should consider another sun-destination during winter schedule (or perhaps even year round): South Africa ! Their A 350 should be more than capable of performing this route out of HEL and back.

They would have a regional / domestic Oneworld partner with BA (Comair) in JNB and / or CPT. As a business destination JNB would make more sense, as a leisure destination it would be CPT. Plus BA (BA LHR) has a newly renovated lounge at JNB which they could use for there flights to HEL.

Entry into South Africa is permitted for Europeans and many others (even with new lockdown in place), only issue might be returning from a virus-mutation area and possible quarantine. But COVID-19 isn’t to last forever and vaccination in South Africa is also taking on speed.

konkret

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:19 pm

cityshuttle wrote:

On a personal note, I would suggest that AY should consider another sun-destination during winter schedule (or perhaps even year round): South Africa ! Their A 350 should be more than capable of performing this route out of HEL and back.

They would have a regional / domestic Oneworld partner with BA (Comair) in JNB and / or CPT. As a business destination JNB would make more sense, as a leisure destination it would be CPT. Plus BA (BA LHR) has a newly renovated lounge at JNB which they could use for there flights to HEL.

Entry into South Africa is permitted for Europeans and many others (even with new lockdown in place), only issue might be returning from a virus-mutation area and possible quarantine. But COVID-19 isn’t to last forever and vaccination in South Africa is also taking on speed.

Among other things traffic rights might be an issue.

tobsw

Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Is South Africa a popular destination for Scandinavians to go on holidays?

SASViking

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:08 pm

tobsw wrote:

Not really
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

MareBorealis

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:14 am

SASViking wrote:
tobsw wrote:

Not really

Not SA but the Americas may have some potential for Finnair. Before the Covid crisis they had scheduled service to Cuba and Dominican Republic. They have also had winter service to holiday destinations in Brazil and Mexico, lastly to Puerto Vallarta. Something like that could materialize in the future.

Thailand still is the number one, though are the golden years behind already ? If things go as planned, Finnair's schedule to Thailand looks like this in mid winter:

HEL-BKK 2x daily
ARN-BKK 1x daily
HEL-HKT 3x weekly
ARN-HKT 3x weekly
HEL-KBV 2x weekly.

Bostrom

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:43 am

cityshuttle wrote:

The problem there is geography. HEL is a great location for Asia-Europe, but pretty lousy for Europe-Africa.

usxguy

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:50 am

wow... Krabi gets a flight?!
xx

MareBorealis

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 am

usxguy wrote:
wow... Krabi gets a flight?!

AY have been serving Krabi seasonally for several years now, typically 2x weekly. I've flown the KBV-HEL leg on AY once myself, KBV had such a tiny int terminal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos