Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirKevin
Topic Author

AA2289 Security Incident to MIA

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Looks like a security threat happened on board an American Airlines flight a few days ago where the passengers were told to put their hands on their heads 45-60 minutes before landing. It isn't known what the security threat was, but once the flight landed, police boarded the aircraft and a passenger was arrested. I can't say I've ever seen a situation before where passengers were told to put their hands on their heads.

https://www.businessinsider.com/watch-a ... eat-2021-7

Boeing757100

Re: Passengers Forced To Put Hands On Head

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Man, ANOTHER one of these kinds of stories?! That is kind of outrageous. :banghead:

kiowa

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:18 pm

I have been on flights with perceived security checks but have never heard of this tactic. Seems like not a bad idea but---

Who gave the order? The Captain?
Who enforces it? Flight attendant?
What does the enforcer do if non compliance?
What if someone has to use the toilet?
Is this a company policy going forward or an idea from a flight crew?

tax1k

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:27 pm

I’m starting to wonder. With all the crazies that have shown up in the news, what are the odds that NONE of those flights had an air Marshall on them? Why are we not seeing any intervention by air Marshalls?

miegapele

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:39 pm

Maybe some IED was suspected? Holding hands to a head makes assembly impossible.

Prost

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Few flights have air marshals. There’s only an estimated 3400 air marshals in the US according to this article.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /13724331/
Last edited by Prost on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvado

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:14 pm

So they flew for an hour with a major threat on board and didn't consider diversion? Depending on where they were, TPA and MOB would be definitely closer than MIA

Noshow

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Some very good explanation seems to be warranted if this was not a Con Air (JPATS) flight.

planecane

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:28 pm

How can they just detain all passengers after landing with no probable cause? I think I would have phoned an attorney immediately.

rbavfan

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Looks like a security threat happened on board an American Airlines flight a few days ago where the passengers were told to put their hands on their heads 45-60 minutes before landing. It isn't known what the security threat was, but once the flight landed, police boarded the aircraft and a passenger was arrested. I can't say I've ever seen a situation before where passengers were told to put their hands on their heads.

I beleave if they are arriving to DCA and there is a security issue it is required due to being the capital.

DenverTed

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:16 pm

For how long? Not everyone is physically capable of doing this for a long period. Whose dumb idea was this?

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:23 pm

planecane wrote:
How can they just detain all passengers after landing with no probable cause? I think I would have phoned an attorney immediately.

People at a scene get detained to be interviewed all the time.

jetmatt777

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:25 pm

This will be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If the threat was so critical to require all passengers to be restricted from physical movement; then the flight should have landed at the nearest airport that has air stairs. This is insane.

johns624

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:37 pm

rbavfan wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

I beleave if they are arriving to DCA and there is a security issue it is required due to being the capital.
It was LAX-MIA. Nowhere near DCA.

ikramerica

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Where is the closest Airport that can handle a 77W 45 min out of Miami? SRQ? Was that going to be closer than MIA on the route they were on?

kalvado

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:17 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Where is the closest Airport that can handle a 77W 45 min out of Miami? SRQ? Was that going to be closer than MIA on the route they were on?

If there is no requirement for MTOW flight out.. They were either over the bay or over Florida. So at least 3 other airports which handled 777 in the past
Mobile: https://www.fox10tv.com/news/why-are-bo ... ecbff.html
New Orleans: https://onemileatatime.com/ethiopian-ai ... w-orleans/
Tampa: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-briti ... 14773.html

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:20 pm

kalvado wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

If there is no requirement for MTOW flight out.. They were either over the bay or over Florida. So at least 3 other airports which handled 777 in the past
Mobile: https://www.fox10tv.com/news/why-are-bo ... ecbff.html
New Orleans: https://onemileatatime.com/ethiopian-ai ... w-orleans/
Tampa: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-briti ... 14773.html

Yup. And AA uses gates at TPA that can handle a 77W. It would not have been a difficult diversion if warranted by the circumstances.

2eng2efficient

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Given how both airline and Federal security departments operate, I predict the exact threat won’t be disclosed.

That being said, this looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen so it will probably come out at some point.

CrimsonNL

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:08 pm

I'm really curious how this was handled on board, and if everyone complied. It seems completely ludicrous..

"Ladies and gentlemen, in preparation for landing we ask that you please fasten your seatbelt, put your seat in the upright position, and fold away your tray table. Also please now put both of your hands on your head for the remainder of the flight. Thank you for flying American Airlines, part of the One World Alliance"

Djarin

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:28 pm

From Twitter, seems a passenger tried to open a door, bit a flight attendant, and was then duct-taped to their seat: https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1414169376543047682?s=21

rbavfan

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:40 pm

planecane wrote:

Thats why we are a sue happy society. We should be part of a solutions, not increase the problems

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Djarin wrote:
From Twitter, seems a passenger tried to open a door, bit a flight attendant, and was then duct-taped to their seat: https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1414169376543047682?s=21

So, the threat was restrained, doesn’t really justify the hands on head action.

travelsonic

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Years ago my family flew down to Tampa for Christmas - every so often the timing of either arriving, leaving, or passing the airport, I'd see a BA 777 (either at the gate, or taking off). Glad someone shared a photo of one at TPA. Quite a cool sight seeing one take off out of there, IMO.
Last edited by travelsonic on Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

travelsonic

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:11 pm

rbavfan wrote:
planecane wrote:

Thats why we are a sue happy society.

Is it really that bad? I admit in recent years I've become numb to the world around me with all the ins and outs of daily life though, and am out of the loop somewhat. .

SoCalPilot

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Djarin wrote:

So, the threat was restrained, doesn’t really justify the hands on head action.

That picture was from a different AA flight from DFW to CLT.

FlyEndeavorAir

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:25 pm

Ha, I'd tell them no way, let them arrest me, and let my lawyer have a field day with them.

Dutch

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:40 pm

I was on the 2289 LAX-MIA service last Wednesday. There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around. Although my understanding of the event is limited, I can correct a few details. I was sitting in Business, so did not see or hear any events in the rear cabin.
1. We landed ontime into MIA with no indication that anything was amiss.
2. We taxied from 8L towards D terminal and then turned left and followed a pilot vehicle - headed to a "concrete walled" secure parking bay near the fire station.
3. We were then instructed over the PA to place hands on heads and not to video any events (threats of fines etc). The cabin crew also placed hands on their heads. We could see heavily armed security/police "hiding" behind the doors in the concrete bay wall, but nothing happened for probably 20-30 minutes, when stairs were placed at 1L and security came on board. The security personnel came down both aisles, pointing assault rifles and screaming at passengers to place our hands on our FACES (from heads to our faces).
4. After 15 or 20 minutes security deplaned a single 25/35 year old male, and then some 15 minutes later an older lady who we assume was his mother (she took their carry-ons with her). The police were being very courteous to the lady.
5. All this time, there were officers controlling each cabin.
6. Then suddenly we were removed in groups of approx 6 pax. We were instructed to leave all possessions on board. Happened so fast that I deplaned with out my cel or wallet. We were lined up outside the concrete walled area and had two separate dogs come past us, then we were taken to buses and transported over to Terminal D.
7. After significant confusion (no AA or security met us off the buses and we mixed into the normal passenger area) we got instructed over PA to go to D28.
8. At D28, AA ground staff arrived 15 mins later and informed us that the aircraft was being assessed and to wait. 30 mins later we were informed that EVERY bag was being checked and to go for a stroll for at least an hour. A significant number of pax missed connections. I immediately rebooked, but due to volume, some were still being rebooked when I left the gate 3 hours later.
9. Approx 2 hours after arriving at D28, the aircraft was towed onto the gate. We were taken on board in small groups to recover our carry on bags. The selection process to pick pax to go on was very disorganized and although mostly very calm, some pax got quite agitated with this process at the gate. One gentleman had an active verbal confrontation with police as he had seen another pax mistakenly recover and deplane with his bag (recovered).
10.... that's about it! Never seen anything like in 40 years flying. We still have no idea what the event was. AA sent me an apology email yesterday with an offer of miles credited to my account for the inconvenience.

travelsonic

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Dutch wrote:
3. We were then instructed over the PA to place hands on heads and not to video any events (threats of fines etc).

Something sounds kind of wrong there in terms of the fining part. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buck, or make a scene, etc, I just find the idea that fines could be levied alone for that as ... odd both in terms of what reason they feel would warrant levying them, or if they would even be enforcable. (IANAL though)

Dutch

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:58 pm

@travelsonic. They were VERY specific that according to federal law (I can't remember the details) anyone who recorded events WOULD be subject to prosecution and fined some thousands of dollars... they said $1200 or $2400.
The threat was so specific that I stopped filming and have not posted video of the event. I am also surprised to see some short vids on twitter... I'm not from USA and don't understand the "rights" of government or pax!

r6russian

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:58 pm

planecane wrote:

because nobody spoke up and asked if they were under arrest. if under arrest, they need to see the arresting officer and a list of charges against them, and if any of those dont pan out, theyre free to go.

ozark1

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:59 pm

kiowa wrote:
I have been on flights with perceived security checks but have never heard of this tactic. Seems like not a bad idea but---

Who gave the order? The Captain?
Who enforces it? Flight attendant?
What does the enforcer do if non compliance?
What if someone has to use the toilet?
Is this a company policy going forward or an idea from a flight crew?

Well if certainly wouldn’t have been a decision for the cabin crew. I would guess the pilot talked to the FBI through the control tower and the decision was made. To me it’s still very odd

FlyEndeavorAir

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:09 pm

Unfortunately many Americans do not know their rights, they just go the "easy" route of giving in.

travaz

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm

You can be "detained" without being arrested. It happens all the time "for investigation" After a time you are released or arrested.

braniff2hav

Assault weapons ... hands from head to over face ... I'm just not sure I could have contained my chit.
I mean what has this world come to. Does this type stuff happen in other countries? I honestly don't know.

USTraveler

It's not the first time this has happened; the feds act after the fact that the plane is in-air. Not a too stellar job of the TSA... But in this case it could just be speculation on my point.

MO11

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:02 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
Unfortunately many Americans do not know their rights, they just go the "easy" route of giving in.

Unfortunately, many Americans "think" they know their rights.

planecane

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 pm

rbavfan wrote:
planecane wrote:

Thats why we are a sue happy society. We should be part of a solutions, not increase the problems

I wouldn't have called an attorney to sue. I would have called to find out if I can be legally detained with no probable cause so that I could get on with my day.

cynlb

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Dutch wrote:
10.... that's about it! Never seen anything like in 40 years flying. We still have no idea what the event was. AA sent me an apology email yesterday with an offer of miles credited to my account for the inconvenience.

All they offered was miles after all that? AA is so generous

AAlaxfan

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm

planecane wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
planecane wrote:

I wouldn't have called an attorney to sue. I would have called to find out if I can be legally detained with no probable cause so that I could get on with my day.

Yes you can be detained. If you’re in a group of people, large or small, where there is a known suspect, you can be detained until that suspect is identified and placed into custody.

DLASFlyer

Re: AA2289 Security Incident to MIA

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:47 pm

Obviously AA can "detain" you by not letting you off the plane. The telling people they can't film part I have a problem with. It's a public place. The police should know better than anyone that we are in an era with a right to film.

FlyEndeavorAir

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:56 pm

MO11 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Unfortunately, many Americans "think" they know their rights.

Cite?

chonetsao

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 pm

I think it will take the passengers sitting next to that male and old lady in Dutch's post to figure out what had happened. Yet somehow I think they are not allowed to talk public about the info. It has to be something serious. I can't imagine things like a simple onboard theft would result in this kind of performance.

Speedy752

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 pm

I would suspect DHS and Patriot act would make things legal on an airplane that wouldn’t be legal on a street. I’m surprised they boarded and preceded to “look” and search all passengers belongings as though they didn’t know what they were looking for. I would assume knowledge like that comes with a name/seat number/life story. Thankfully it wasn’t a realized threat but what is going on with all these people going crazy on planes lately? Is it just reported more recently?

chonetsao

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:10 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Obviously AA can "detain" you by not letting you off the plane. The telling people they can't film part I have a problem with. It's a public place. The police should know better than anyone that we are in an era with a right to film.

I am not sure if inside an active airplane is considered as 'public place'. It is a property of American Airlines, hence somewhat private or at least authorised access only, no?

rdombrov

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:32 pm

Dutch wrote:
I was on the 2289 LAX-MIA service last Wednesday. There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around. Although my understanding of the event is limited, I can correct a few details. I was sitting in Business, so did not see or hear any events in the rear cabin.
2. We taxied from 8L towards D terminal and then turned left and followed a pilot vehicle - headed to a "concrete walled" secure parking bay near the fire station.
3. We were then instructed over the PA to place hands on heads and not to video any events (threats of fines etc). The cabin crew also placed hands on their heads. We could see heavily armed security/police "hiding" behind the doors in the concrete bay wall, but nothing happened for probably 20-30 minutes, when stairs were placed at 1L and security came on board. The security personnel came down both aisles, pointing assault rifles and screaming at passengers to place our hands on our FACES (from heads to our faces).
4. After 15 or 20 minutes security deplaned a single 25/35 year old male, and then some 15 minutes later an older lady who we assume was his mother (she took their carry-ons with her). The police were being very courteous to the lady.
6. Then suddenly we were removed in groups of approx 6 pax. We were instructed to leave all possessions on board. Happened so fast that I deplaned with out my cel or wallet. We were lined up outside the concrete walled area and had two separate dogs come past us, then we were taken to buses and transported over to Terminal D.
7. After significant confusion (no AA or security met us off the buses and we mixed into the normal passenger area) we got instructed over PA to go to D28.
8. At D28, AA ground staff arrived 15 mins later and informed us that the aircraft was being assessed and to wait. 30 mins later we were informed that EVERY bag was being checked and to go for a stroll for at least an hour. A significant number of pax missed connections. I immediately rebooked, but due to volume, some were still being rebooked when I left the gate 3 hours later.
9. Approx 2 hours after arriving at D28, the aircraft was towed onto the gate. We were taken on board in small groups to recover our carry on bags. The selection process to pick pax to go on was very disorganized and although mostly very calm, some pax got quite agitated with this process at the gate. One gentleman had an active verbal confrontation with police as he had seen another pax mistakenly recover and deplane with his bag (recovered).

That's incredible., or perhaps insane. I might have been ok with the first part, but that long wait to get belongings from the plane is beyond belief without some type of explanation. Makes me want to be sure to not book AA, and DFW is my home airport.

Speedy752

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:43 pm

rdombrov wrote:
Dutch wrote:

That's incredible., or perhaps insane. I might have been ok with the first part, but that long wait to get belongings from the plane is beyond belief without some type of explanation. Makes me want to be sure to not book AA, and DFW is my home airport.

I’d withhold judgement on AA on this one until more comes out. It is quite possible they were directed What to do and were just as helpless to control the situation as the passengers. I would expect some lawsuits to follow, it would be pretty traumatic to have armed agents boarding the plane shoving rifles in random passengers faces. I’d find it hard to believe AA would be ok with this, and my allegiances are usually with other carriers.

kalvado

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 pm

rdombrov wrote:
Dutch wrote:

Doesn't look like this is AA thing. More like homeland security playing its games and having to report to noone. If anything, AA is equally a victim of the situation, with aircraft - and probably crew - kicked out of schedule.

silentbob

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:05 pm

rdombrov wrote:
Dutch wrote:

I can assure you, in an event like this one, AA had zero control over that delay. Law enforcement takes over and makes every decision.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:11 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
This will be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If the threat was so critical to require all passengers to be restricted from physical movement; then the flight should have landed at the nearest airport that has air stairs. This is insane.

The aircraft in question was a B77W. How many other airports in the area are able to handle one that big?

graceintheair

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

The aircraft in question was a B77W. How many other airports in the area are able to handle one that big?

With the exception of EYW, all FL airports with airline service could handle a 777. It's not like the A380 that needed major airport renovations. Many smaller airports like DAB have had larger aircraft like 747's operate without issue. I imagine MIA was just easier to reaccomodate passengers and crew. But sounds like it was handled very poorly. They obviously knew who they were looking for. No need to put the entire plane in fear and shove guns in their faces.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos