Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Someone83
Topic Author

United and Mesa with tentative Heart ES-19 order

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:03 pm

United and Mesa have placed an tentative order for 100 elektrisk Heart ES-19 aircraft

https://hub.united.com/electric-aircraft-set-to-take-flight-by-2026-under-new-agreements-with-united-airlines-ventures-breakthrough-energy-ventures-mesa-airlines-heart-aerospace-2653765004.html

United Airlines signs agreement to acquire 100 of Heart Aerospace's ES-19 aircraft, a 19-seat electric airliner that has the potential to decarbonize regional air travel

graceintheair

Re: United and Mesa with tentative Heart ES-19 order

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Interesting. But I can't imagine UA using these at congested SFO as the article suggests. Isn't it their plan to upguage aircraft at SFO?

phatfarmlines

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm

The return of the 19-seat market in the U.S. - finally.

MDC862

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 pm

More PR fluff so the green people will leave them alone.

Never see these on company property

randomdude83

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:32 pm

The real question is how long will it take to charge this thing between flights? doesn't seem like they believe in battery pack swap from the website.

scbriml

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:32 pm

MDC862 wrote:

You will - they'll be parked right next to the Boom Overtures. :rotfl:

codc10

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm

This seems more realistic than Boom.

Theoretically useful for major connecting airports with excess capacity and viable small markets within 250mi: DEN, ORD, IAD.

joeblow10

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm

codc10 wrote:

Theoretically useful for major connecting airports with excess capacity and viable small markets within 250mi: DEN, ORD, IAD.

At least people would want to fly Boom jets.

Much of the flying public in the US (myself included) will go out of their way to avoid a turboprop

Prost

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I think a lot of people would choose an airline that had an electric option.

ScottB

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm

randomdude83 wrote:
The real question is how long will it take to charge this thing between flights? doesn't seem like they believe in battery pack swap from the website.

That ain't the only problem. Who are they going to find to fly them? Much of the reason why Great Lakes went out of business was the lack of people with an ATP certificate who were willing to fly 19-seaters for poverty wages. Who could afford to be based at IAD (let alone SFO!) while making $25K or $30K/year? You'd be better-off working for a burger joint at the airport since you wouldn't have a bunch of debt from getting your ATP.

These planes are only going to have a range of 250 miles. I don't even know how they could dispatch these things if there's any weather since you'd need enough energy to make the alternate as well as meet the reserve requirement of 45 minutes at cruising fuel consumption (§ 121.639). Maybe the 250-mile range includes that reserve?

Economically, connections at hubs in extremely short markets (i.e. under 200 miles) are very challenging unless the spoke market is fairly large -- imagine things like ATL-BHM or IND-ORD. If the drive to the hub airport is under ~2 hours you're usually better off just driving to the big airport and taking a non-stop. These are going to be the first flights which will get cancelled in bad weather and honestly it'd be a lot more environmentally friendly to put passengers on an electric bus.

ILNFlyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:37 pm

Good luck with that.

AMALH747430

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 pm

This is likely a relatively low risk investment with some carefully crafted “outs.” However, it shows progress in the industry. Bob Crandall was on the Airlines Confidential podcast a few weeks ago. He opined that airlines are going to have to pull their heads out of the sand and figure out how to evolve beyond burning kerosene in all their aircraft. This, in and of itself, might not be the solution, but investment and support for this technology might lead us there.

One of the two biggest aircraft manufacturers in the world just caused a major problem for commercial aviation by hanging new engines on a stretched 1960s regional jet. That caused a grounding and (before the pandemic) a shortage of transportation options and higher fares for consumers. The Max isn’t a bad airplane, I enjoyed my flight on a Max 9 two weeks ago. However, it shows how much things have stagnated at the major aircraft manufacturers. Sooner than later, this industry is going to have to evolve.

This isn’t a big risk for UA but it has some reward if it works.

keesje

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:02 pm

It seems everybody (certainly United techies) know the batteries are an insurmountable obstacle for the foreseeable future. But good will for the environment and our grandchildren sometime tends to change physics. Or at least we hope so. https://leehamnews.com/2021/07/08/the-t ... ft-part-2/

avi8

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:04 pm

I wonder if new batteries could just be fitted in once technology gets better. That would be a game changer.

ScottB

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:21 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
This is likely a relatively low risk investment with some carefully crafted “outs.” However, it shows progress in the industry. Bob Crandall was on the Airlines Confidential podcast a few weeks ago. He opined that airlines are going to have to pull their heads out of the sand and figure out how to evolve beyond burning kerosene in all their aircraft.

Oh, it's obviously very low-risk for United. I'd be surprised if their actual cash outlay was as high as $10 million -- if they even put in a single dollar. The big value they bring is the "order" for 100 aircraft and it'll be a huge challenge to make this a commercially viable product which can also receive FAA certification. After the 787's battery problems nearly a decade ago, any plane with a few tons of Li-ion polymer batteries (and it's going to take that much for 250 mile range with 19 passengers) will have to demonstrate that thermal runaway isn't going to lead to a fireball crashing into a neighborhood.

Bob Crandall is right about the probable need to eventually move beyond kerosene for aviation, although to be honest, it's really one of the last applications which should due to the relatively unique requirements for energy density. But frankly, battery technology still hasn't reached the point where an aircraft carrying more than a handful of passengers can travel an economically useful distance apart from a few niche markets. Distances under 250 miles really shouldn't be flown -- they're better-served by electric-powered terrestrial vehicles like buses or trains.

william

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:30 pm

scbriml wrote:
MDC862 wrote:

You will - they'll be parked right next to the Boom Overtures. :rotfl:

Good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:31 pm

250 miles would get most small towns to a regional or major airport. The 'knock on' affect of that could result in most regional flights to larger airports could be up gauged.

travaz

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm

What could go wrong ... Mesa is going to be flying them!

codc10

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 pm

I would not be shocked if this were developed with an eye toward single-pilot operations.

kiowa

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:47 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

Much of the flying public in the US (myself included) will go out of their way to avoid a turboprop

I agree. Many people would book Boom for the experience. I would. I have no problems with turboprops but like many other people I go out of my way to avoid flying on a 737.

KCaviator

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm

United with an electric VTOL, supersonic, and now electric 19-seater. Stop with the publicity stunts, they’re getting old :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Prost wrote:

People where? Not in the U.S. Look at the fraction of battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S.(less than 2.0%) in 2020 versus exploding truck and SUV segments. Too few people give a care. UA isn't going to operate them OSL-CPH.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LHUSA

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

People where? Not in the U.S. Look at the fraction of battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S.(less than 2.0%) versus exploding truck and SUV segments. Too few people give a care.

That’s changing rapidly

codc10

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 pm

kiowa wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

I agree. Many people would book Boom for the experience. I would. I have no problems with turboprops but like many other people I go out of my way to avoid flying on a 737.

I'm thinking more of unserved/underserved, EAS markets and such which, in many cases, have prop service from outfits like Southern, Boutique, AC1, Cape, etc. if any airline operations at all.

All-electric service in an EAS bid could be quite competitive, and possibly a requirement in the future for federal subsidies.

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:57 pm

LHUSA wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

People where? Not in the U.S. Look at the fraction of battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S.(less than 2.0%) versus exploding truck and SUV segments. Too few people give a care.

That’s changing rapidly

What? U.S. BEV sales? The fraction in 2020 was smaller than in 2019. If people cared about CO2 emissions they would fly a lot less, not self-satisfy with a 200-mile electric segment to a 1500-mile kerosene-fueled segment.

EMB170

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:03 pm

codc10 wrote:
kiowa wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

I'm thinking more of unserved/underserved, EAS markets and such which, in many cases, have prop service from outfits like Southern, Boutique, AC1, Cape, etc. if any airline operations at all.

All-electric service in an EAS bid could be quite competitive, and possibly a requirement in the future for federal subsidies.

This makes more sense. You won't see UA and YV putting these on ORD-IND or ORD-MKE. No one (myself included) would ever want to fly them, especially when the drive isn't that bad. Putting it on an EAS route, that receives a subsidy to fly, however, such as with some small airports in northern WI or the Upper Peninsula of MI, however, might be a different story. Such a route might actually pay for itself (or come reasonably close to doing so).

alasizon

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

People where? Not in the U.S. Look at the fraction of battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S.(less than 2.0%) in 2020 versus exploding truck and SUV segments. Too few people give a care. UA isn't going to operate them OSL-CPH.

The choice of owning an SUV/Truck is partially due to need/desire for capability that electric sedans simply don't have. My Jeep can go off road, an electric sedan not as much. As electric/hybrid options for SUVs increase, so will the percentage of adoption.

The demand for 19 seats is probably really around the 300-400 mile mark in the West so if they can improve range there is better opportunities for connectivity to replace 50 seaters.

capitalflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 pm

This is not an aircraft purchase, but an investment by UA Ventures, its venture capital arm, in helping to develop the technology to the point it becomes viable for the airline. I imagine if it is successful, UAV will add to their investment and own a stake in the company. Oh man, look at that acronym. Its not one pilot, its unmanned aerial vehicles, zero pilots!

This indeed would be great for EAS type service and really the only financially viable way to do it with the end of the 50 seat jets. They might have a test flight in 2026, but I doubt it will be in service before 2029 at the earliest, probably later.

ScottB

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:22 pm

codc10 wrote:

Perhaps this might be true from a public policy standpoint, but not necessarily from a logistical standpoint. All the small airports with EAS would need a costly investment in charging infrastructure, and 19-seat battery-powered airliners are going to need charging that delivers energy at a rate that's at least an order of magnitude greater than what's necessary for rapid-charging an electric car. If you look at Fehrm's analysis referenced above, a 200-mile trip is going to consume at least 1,000 kWh. Compare that to the battery in a Tesla which typically holds 75-100 kWh. An airline operator isn't going to want an aircraft sitting around on the ground for five hours to charge (outside of overnight) and that kind of turn time at an EAS spoke is problematic for crew duty time.

And frankly it's pointless in any part of the country where a substantial part of electricity generation comes from fossil fuel sources. You're eliminating fossil fuel burned in a fairly efficient turbine on the aircraft in favor of fossil fuel burned in perhaps a slightly more efficient turbine in a power plant.

SA280

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:23 pm

Interesting.

Are they going to get electricity from green sources and solve all environmental issues related to producing and discarding batteries?

travaz

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Who would pay for the infrastructure to recharge them? I don't think your just going to run an extension cord from the hanger.

alberchico

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:32 pm

I've been following the progress of the Heart Aerospace ES-19 ever since it was announced. It seems to have attracted some interest from Finnair and some local carriers. They also unveiled a detailed model of the aircraft as well as a full scale prototype of one of the electric engines.

However, this article presents a damming indictment of the project, claiming that with the weight of the batteries it will be almost 2.4 times heavier than a Beech 1900, meaning that the useful range will be severely affected. The article concludes by saying that battery tech still has to make huge strides for a large commuter aircraft to be viable. For now, they should simply order the Cessna Skycourier.

https://leehamnews.com/2021/07/08/the-t ... ft-part-2/

https://twitter.com/flygkanalen/status/ ... 6%2Fpage-3

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:50 pm

Mesa is the roach of the airline industry, it will unfortunately never go away.

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm skeptical that 19-seat aircraft will ever be economical again.
As long as they need two pilots, it is going to be hard to make the math work especially since most regionals could take those same two pilots and carry 76 pax instead.
It is going to be hard to charge enough money to get 19 pax to cover the operating costs.

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Happy to see more forward-thinking from United despite the naysayers.

A.netters: Aviation has become so bland it is all wing-mounted 2- engine airplanes. Bring back the Concorde and 4-holers!

United: Hey we are ordering supersonic aircraft, electric sky taxis, and 4 engine electric regional aircraft!

A.netters: Gross. There is no market for it. Why didn't they just order more A320's instead?

smithbs

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:29 pm

alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

The choice of owning an SUV/Truck is partially due to need/desire for capability that electric sedans simply don't have. My Jeep can go off road, an electric sedan not as much. As electric/hybrid options for SUVs increase, so will the percentage of adoption.

Agreed, although physics makes the job harder. Current electric vehicles rely heavily on aerodynamics and limited weight to squeeze out their driving range (while they struggle in pricing against their ICE brothers). A pickup truck needs about three times more power to maintain freeway speeds, semi-truck tractors a whole lot more, and then add on a trailer or load and you've reached a conundrum: the load and aerodynamics are so heavy that the battery required to provide a decent range is enormously heavy, which compounds the whole equation to the point it's not really feasible. It circles around to the basic fact: fossil fuel energy density is superior for heavy loads and aircraft, compared to any battery technology we have today or can foresee at this point.

Will we find better energy storage solutions eventually? Sure. But some major paradigm is going to have to change in order to make it happen. Post-Newtonian physics, anyone?

LCDFlight

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Airlines will be the last thing to go carbon neutral. It is preposterous to even talk about it. There are much more important, real world carbon reduction activities to talk about. Airlines will be the LAST after everything else is decarbonized.

SEU

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Regardless of how its powered, 4 engines for 19 seats in the modern day? Maintenance costs is always doubled over 2 engines.

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm

SEU wrote:
Regardless of how its powered, 4 engines for 19 seats in the modern day? Maintenance costs is always doubled over 2 engines.

Sure you have twice the number of blades. But I would bet electric DC motors have much fewer wear parts and consumables. You aren't going to be running accessories such as bleed ducts and generators off of them. There are no oil changes to keep track of. No oil pumps to break, no fuel filters to change, no fuel pumps to replace. Your hydraulic system is going to run independently of the engines by a battery powered electrical pump. Your A/C and pressurization system will not rely on the engines, it will run off an electricall;y powered fan and compressor system much like an electric car. What you lose in the addition of 2 more motors, you gain from having a much simpler motor that exist only to provide thrust; not to power every other system.

VC10er

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm

HORRIBLE NAME: “Electric-risk” is basically what it says.

But I applaud UA again for making positive moves and positive PR around their green commitment!

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:12 pm

VC10er wrote:
HORRIBLE NAME: “Electric-risk” is basically what it says.

But I applaud UA again for making positive moves and positive PR around their green commitment!

The only place I see that used is in the OP's post, not in the press release. I wonder if he purposefully misspelled it.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:13 pm

randomdude83 wrote:

That’s probably why orders from electric aircraft are so big

N292UX

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:49 pm

If they actually are delivered, a bunch of EAS routes from ORD and DEN could maybe switch to it. Other routes like ORD-PIA/SPI/AZO/LSE, IAD-CHO/RIC/MDT/ABE, and DEN-PUB/CYS/COD may fit the aircraft well. I still am pessimistic this will actually happen, but we will have to see.

fun2fly

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 pm

Prost wrote:

Or have to if states like CALI mandate a % of your flights be up to some standard...look at what they did with heavy duty trucks and DEF.

jagraham

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 pm

alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

The demand for 19 seats is probably really around the 300-400 mile mark in the West so if they can improve range there is better opportunities for connectivity to replace 50 seaters.

Ford is doing an electric F150 next year. GM isn't far behind. These are supposed to be fully capable trucks.

But the question is the battery. And the time it takes to charge it. I see no reason that an airplane battery can't do the supercharge thing and get to 80% in an hour. But it will require a dedicated power feed (think several hundred amps at 440V)

19 pax plus pilot and flight attendant for 250 mi would really be cute. No engine overhauls. I hope they make it. But I haven't seen the math. As others have said, Leeham has gone into detail about how difficult the payload range equation is.

Elementalism

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
This is likely a relatively low risk investment with some carefully crafted “outs.” However, it shows progress in the industry. Bob Crandall was on the Airlines Confidential podcast a few weeks ago. He opined that airlines are going to have to pull their heads out of the sand and figure out how to evolve beyond burning kerosene in all their aircraft. This, in and of itself, might not be the solution, but investment and support for this technology might lead us there.

One of the two biggest aircraft manufacturers in the world just caused a major problem for commercial aviation by hanging new engines on a stretched 1960s regional jet. That caused a grounding and (before the pandemic) a shortage of transportation options and higher fares for consumers. The Max isn’t a bad airplane, I enjoyed my flight on a Max 9 two weeks ago. However, it shows how much things have stagnated at the major aircraft manufacturers. Sooner than later, this industry is going to have to evolve.

This isn’t a big risk for UA but it has some reward if it works.

Bob should invent a better battery before asking the airlines to pull their head out of the sand.

The MAX issues has nothing to do with going electric.

IceCream

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:19 pm

LHUSA wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Prost wrote:

That’s changing rapidly

I agree. We all need to realize that there's a rapid transition to renewable energy and EV's that is underway right now. EV's are close to becoming cost competitive with normal cars and that will cause us to quickly shift to EV's. It's not an overnight thing but it will happen. This order itself is a huge step forward. Obviously there are no long haul planes that are electric yet but actions like this really help sustainable technologies develop.

Bricktop

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

A.netters: Aviation has become so bland it is all wing-mounted 2- engine airplanes. Bring back the Concorde and 4-holers!

United: Hey we are ordering supersonic aircraft, electric sky taxis, and 4 engine electric regional aircraft!

A.netters: Gross. There is no market for it. Why didn't they just order more A320's instead?

99% correct. I can't believe the negativity on this. Well, this being a.net I really can.

By the way, you lost 1% for saying A320 instead of A220 :rotfl:

Italianflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Reason for delay: ramp didn't make sure charger was plugged all the way in last night.

SEU

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Bricktop wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

99% correct. I can't believe the negativity on this. Well, this being a.net I really can.

By the way, you lost 1% for saying A320 instead of A220 :rotfl:

That's at least 10% penalty, you're being nice

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos