Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TMccrury
Topic Author

Power Outage at Denver 07-14-21

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Just came across this. The power is out at KDEN and a ground stop is in affect.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/ground-stop ... er-outage/

Sooner787

Re: Power Outage at Denver 07-14-21

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:10 pm

ok.....dumb question perhaps , but don't they have backup generators?

TMccrury
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
ok.....dumb question perhaps , but don't they have backup generators?

That was one of my first thoughts.

smokeybandit

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:24 pm

9252fly

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Maybe the backup generators needed power for the diesel engine starters. What are the chances of the batteries being dead.

sUAisDL

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:29 pm

That airport is such a joke. So sad how it’s fallen.

FlyEndeavorAir

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 pm

Got to turn on those "New World Order" generators.

smokeybandit

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:58 pm

Everything back to normal for now

ScottB

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:03 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Already in use to power Blucifer's eyes.

Sooner787 wrote:
don't they have backup generators?

You'd need a small power plant to run the entire airport. The backup generators are sufficient to keep critical safety systems running but they're not going to power all the computers at gates, passenger loading bridges, etc. Without a ground stop you're going to end up with more planes waiting for gates which can't accommodate them and their passengers.

alasizon

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:45 am

ScottB wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Sooner787 wrote:

You'd need a small power plant to run the entire airport. The backup generators are sufficient to keep critical safety systems running but they're not going to power all the computers at gates, passenger loading bridges, etc. Without a ground stop you're going to end up with more planes waiting for gates which can't accommodate them and their passengers.

Not that I disagree with the size of generators required but locally we have a generator installed that runs power for 14 gates, the entire baggage handling system on that concourse plus all of the required systems in the concourse for up to 120 min. The generator itself is maybe 30'x15' (and we have another for a second concourse) so back-up power for DEN wouldn't actually be impossible.

AA737-823

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:37 am

alasizon wrote:
ScottB wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Sooner787 wrote:

Not that I disagree with the size of generators required but locally we have a generator installed that runs power for 14 gates, the entire baggage handling system on that concourse plus all of the required systems in the concourse for up to 120 min. The generator itself is maybe 30'x15' (and we have another for a second concourse) so back-up power for DEN wouldn't actually be impossible.

Would your generator also be able to power all the jetbridges needed to accept arriving passengers?
Because I suspect that's the case today for DEN. It's a ground stop on arrivals; I bet they have generators for essential systems, but jet bridge motors require a TON of juice.

cynlb

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:00 am

ggflyboy

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 am

Last time I was at Denver the rental car shuttle canned recording was bragging about how many solar panels they have installed. I guess not enough…

alasizon

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:53 am

AA737-823 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Would your generator also be able to power all the jetbridges needed to accept arriving passengers?
Because I suspect that's the case today for DEN. It's a ground stop on arrivals; I bet they have generators for essential systems, but jet bridge motors require a TON of juice.

It powers the drive motors for the wheels, not sure about about vertical drive motors, I'll have to look at the panel again.

DLASFlyer

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Worst airport ever.

DEN1895

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm

alasizon wrote:
ScottB wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Sooner787 wrote:

While I am not an engineer or know the entire system, I believe that the airport was built with multiple redundancies rather than a bunch of back-up generators. When ATL had their power outage a few years ago it was because they only had one line running to the airport that went out, and it took them many hours to repair it. DEN has multiple sub-stations and feeds coming from different powerplants so the risk of a complete outage is incredibly low. From my understanding of what happened yesterday, the main feed lost power and parts of the airport automatically switched to the next feed, but some parts did not. This is why the terminal and parts of B and C had power. The automatic switch over failed and that is what caused the issues, I am not sure if the airport or the energy provider provides the equipment, but I do know before this happened they started testing all electrical equipment at the airport as certain pieces were nearing time to be replaced.

With all that being said, it would not be bad if the airport had more back-up power available, but full outages like this rarely happen, possibly once every 5+ years. This incident was mostly resolved in about 1 hour. The airport has looked into buying battery packs to create more of an isolated grid that would improve reliability as it would provide a buffer from the outside power sources, this would also allow them to store solar power for use later. I don't think this is a terrible solution as it would be used every day versus spending 100+ million on generators that are used once every 5+ years.

jetmatt777

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:52 pm

No surprise the switches failed. Denver does not inspect or maintain anything after it is installed. They always wait for something to fail before repairing it. There is zero accountability and zero proactiveness from the aviation department.

ScottB

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
When ATL had their power outage a few years ago it was because they only had one line running to the airport that went out, and it took them many hours to repair it.

No, ATL had a backup system in place; it's just that the fire damaged both the primary and backup systems.

87GROUNDED

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 pm

A typical Kim Day managed airport. And the new guy replacing her is a former director of the worst-run public transportation agencies in the country. DEN has such potential to be the premier airport in the country yet the yahoos at the City and County of Denver manage to screw up everything they touch. I'm looking at you Mayor "Can't-Keep-My-Hands-Off-Every-Woman-I-See" Hancock.

FlyHPN

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:10 pm

ggflyboy wrote:
Last time I was at Denver the rental car shuttle canned recording was bragging about how many solar panels they have installed. I guess not enough…

You can’t rely on Solar alone without some other source for 2 reasons: reliability and safety. In order to be able to operate on solar, you need to either have connectivity to a grid, or energy stored in batteries (or both). Most systems just feed back into the grid without storing anything (especially older ones).

Boeing757100

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:28 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

They'll restore power to the runway lights, so we'll all see the 'swastika' arrangement of the runways...

chrisair

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

They'll restore power to the runway lights, so we'll all see the 'swastika' arrangement of the runways...

I think the real question is whether the backup generators have capacity to run the entire underground reprogramming facility?

gwrudolph

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:40 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
No surprise the switches failed. Denver does not inspect or maintain anything after it is installed. They always wait for something to fail before repairing it. There is zero accountability and zero proactiveness from the aviation department.

Such is the case with many large airports in this country. Chicago is one such example. They wait til the place is falling apart before they fix anything. Their terminals are some of the worst-kept in the country IMO. Most of the larger California airport terminals start out real nice as well, then they don’t take care of them and soon enough they are awful! Can probably add NYC airports, PHL, WAS area airports and on and on to the list.

Not unique to Denver!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos