Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
KFTG
Topic Author
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Earlier this week, G4161 took 17 hours to reach its destination. It looks like they diverted to LAX first, and then eventually arrived in SCK 17 hours after departing LAS.
Local news media is jumping on the opportunity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhC0zjhhECg

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY ... /KLAS/KSCK
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY ... /KLAX/KSCK
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:53 pm

Seems like Allegiant's dispatch screwed this flight up. It is no mystery that SCK's tower closes after 21:00 local (9:00 PM PDT). However, the flight did not depart from LAS until 8:55 PM PDT (52 minutes late). SCK has ATIS and at least three aircraft on IFR flight plans managed to access it for weather information so they could approach & land that night, even after the tower closed. But if you look at the flight history of AAY161, it seems to be flown on an erratic schedule, which is typical of Allegiant. They even dispatched this flight (over 3 hours late) to SCK on July 5, arriving after midnight & long after the tower closed.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSCK
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15270
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:02 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Seems like Allegiant's dispatch screwed this flight up. It is no mystery that SCK's tower closes after 21:00 local (9:00 PM PDT). However, the flight did not depart from LAS until 8:55 PM PDT (52 minutes late). SCK has ATIS and at least three aircraft on IFR flight plans managed to access it for weather information so they could approach & land that night, even after the tower closed. But if you look at the flight history of AAY161, it seems to be flown on an erratic schedule, which is typical of Allegiant. They even dispatched this flight (over 3 hours late) to SCK on July 5, arriving after midnight & long after the tower closed.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSCK


The issue isn't arriving after the tower was closed; G4 does that all over the place, probably on a daily basis. It was that ASOS was down. Sort of a swiss cheese problem, since the ASOS outage wouldn't have been an issue had the tower been open.
 
amcnd
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Horrible reporting!! Yes control towers close, totally normal…, yes you need the ASOS to land IFR, usually fixed quick when they break. I have only ran i to this once in 23 years of flying…seems more of a Allegiant doesn't overnight there crews issue. Bet they timed out in LAX..
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:05 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Seems like Allegiant's dispatch screwed this flight up. It is no mystery that SCK's tower closes after 21:00 local (9:00 PM PDT). However, the flight did not depart from LAS until 8:55 PM PDT (52 minutes late). SCK has ATIS and at least three aircraft on IFR flight plans managed to access it for weather information so they could approach & land that night, even after the tower closed. But if you look at the flight history of AAY161, it seems to be flown on an erratic schedule, which is typical of Allegiant. They even dispatched this flight (over 3 hours late) to SCK on July 5, arriving after midnight & long after the tower closed.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSCK

What if I told you there are commercial airports all over the country that don’t even have towers
 
jjbiv
Posts: 1305
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:58 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 pm

It seems like Allegiant missed this before they departed LAS. SCK tower is open from 7 AM to 9 PM. The last reported visibility on the 12th was at 5:55 PM local time (12:55 AM on the 13th Zulu time). The next reported visibility was at 6:55 AM local time (1:55 PM Zulu time) on the 13th, shortly before the tower reopened. Didn't check the TAF but unless the weather changed drastically between departure from LAS and arrival in thr SCK terminal area, G4 messed up releasing this flight.

KSCK 131355Z 31006KT 10SM CLR 15/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP099 T01500117
KSCK 131255Z AUTO 32005KT CLR 14/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP096 T01440117
KSCK 131155Z AUTO 33005KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP092 T01560122 10200 20156 53008
KSCK 131055Z AUTO 32006KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP089 T01610122
KSCK 130955Z 33006KT CLR 16/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01610117
KSCK 130855Z 33006KT CLR 17/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP085 T01720117 58001
KSCK 130755Z 31005KT CLR 18/13 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01830128 403440156
KSCK 130655Z 29010KT CLR 19/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP084 T01890117
KSCK 130555Z 31008KT CLR 20/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP085 T02000117 10339 20200 53011
KSCK 130455Z 29015KT CLR 23/11 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP083 T02330111
KSCK 130355Z 29009KT CLR 26/12 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP077 T02610117
KSCK 130255Z 29012KT CLR 28/09 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP075 T02780094 56005
KSCK 130155Z 27010KT CLR 31/11 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP075 T03110111
KSCK 130055Z 29010KT 10SM CLR 33/14 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP074 T03330139
 
alasizon
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 pm

jjbiv wrote:
It seems like Allegiant missed this before they departed LAS. SCK tower is open from 7 AM to 9 PM. The last reported visibility on the 12th was at 5:55 PM local time (12:55 AM on the 13th Zulu time). The next reported visibility was at 6:55 AM local time (1:55 PM Zulu time) on the 13th, shortly before the tower reopened. Didn't check the TAF but unless the weather changed drastically between departure from LAS and arrival in thr SCK terminal area, G4 messed up releasing this flight.

KSCK 131355Z 31006KT 10SM CLR 15/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP099 T01500117
KSCK 131255Z AUTO 32005KT CLR 14/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP096 T01440117
KSCK 131155Z AUTO 33005KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP092 T01560122 10200 20156 53008
KSCK 131055Z AUTO 32006KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP089 T01610122
KSCK 130955Z 33006KT CLR 16/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01610117
KSCK 130855Z 33006KT CLR 17/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP085 T01720117 58001
KSCK 130755Z 31005KT CLR 18/13 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01830128 403440156
KSCK 130655Z 29010KT CLR 19/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP084 T01890117
KSCK 130555Z 31008KT CLR 20/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP085 T02000117 10339 20200 53011
KSCK 130455Z 29015KT CLR 23/11 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP083 T02330111
KSCK 130355Z 29009KT CLR 26/12 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP077 T02610117
KSCK 130255Z 29012KT CLR 28/09 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP075 T02780094 56005
KSCK 130155Z 27010KT CLR 31/11 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP075 T03110111
KSCK 130055Z 29010KT 10SM CLR 33/14 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP074 T03330139


Can't confirm this but my guess is that on Allegiant's end a missing visibility value doesn't automatically flag as a no-go item as long as the TAF is also valid as a missing visibility value doesn't always indicate that it will continue to be missing (intermittent issues are known to happen).

The bigger concern I have here is the fact that the weather package on the release would have had shown this as missing and the crew didn't realize the issue until just below 8,000'.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15270
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:21 pm

alasizon wrote:
jjbiv wrote:
It seems like Allegiant missed this before they departed LAS. SCK tower is open from 7 AM to 9 PM. The last reported visibility on the 12th was at 5:55 PM local time (12:55 AM on the 13th Zulu time). The next reported visibility was at 6:55 AM local time (1:55 PM Zulu time) on the 13th, shortly before the tower reopened. Didn't check the TAF but unless the weather changed drastically between departure from LAS and arrival in thr SCK terminal area, G4 messed up releasing this flight.

KSCK 131355Z 31006KT 10SM CLR 15/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP099 T01500117
KSCK 131255Z AUTO 32005KT CLR 14/12 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP096 T01440117
KSCK 131155Z AUTO 33005KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP092 T01560122 10200 20156 53008
KSCK 131055Z AUTO 32006KT CLR 16/12 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP089 T01610122
KSCK 130955Z 33006KT CLR 16/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01610117
KSCK 130855Z 33006KT CLR 17/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP085 T01720117 58001
KSCK 130755Z 31005KT CLR 18/13 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP087 T01830128 403440156
KSCK 130655Z 29010KT CLR 19/12 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP084 T01890117
KSCK 130555Z 31008KT CLR 20/12 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP085 T02000117 10339 20200 53011
KSCK 130455Z 29015KT CLR 23/11 A2978 RMK AO2 SLP083 T02330111
KSCK 130355Z 29009KT CLR 26/12 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP077 T02610117
KSCK 130255Z 29012KT CLR 28/09 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP075 T02780094 56005
KSCK 130155Z 27010KT CLR 31/11 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP075 T03110111
KSCK 130055Z 29010KT 10SM CLR 33/14 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP074 T03330139


Can't confirm this but my guess is that on Allegiant's end a missing visibility value doesn't automatically flag as a no-go item as long as the TAF is also valid as a missing visibility value doesn't always indicate that it will continue to be missing (intermittent issues are known to happen).

The bigger concern I have here is the fact that the weather package on the release would have had shown this as missing and the crew didn't realize the issue until just below 8,000'.


Hindsight is 20/20 but their plan for what would happen if they couldn’t get in to SCK also seems somewhat lacking.
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:34 pm

"flight from hell" is really rather ridiculous. Was it good? Seemingly not. It's not as though they flew across the country, circled then diverted to an entirely different airport. They flew an hour, realized they couldn't land there, flew an hour back, circled a bit then flew another 30-40 minutes to land at an alternate airport. The headline is disingenuous, making it seem as though they flew around for 17 hours when in fact they actually landed and had plenty of opportunity to find a hotel, get some rest then catch another flight to SCK. Ridiculous - everyone wants to cash in on the slightest inconvenience. Frankly, they paid for a budget vacation, they got budget vacation treatment.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Call me old-fashioned, but why didn't the plane divert to SMF, and then have the passengers bused to SCK?

Yeah, I get that diversions are never that simple. I get that they are ALWAYS messy. But this just seems excessive. And I also get that it rarely is ever a matter of "just call up the buses". Especially late at night.

However, this is utterly bizarre. That's a WHOLE lot of fuel to be burning, and regardless of the status of SCK, someone is going to have to deal with a planeload of diverted passengers. Seems like there's an awful lot of "not talking" going on within the company, and that's NOT a good thing. Once is a fluke, yes, but flukes happen. If there is no contingency plan for this sort of thing, then someone flunked business 101 for airlines, and shouldn't be working there.
 
alasizon
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Call me old-fashioned, but why didn't the plane divert to SMF, and then have the passengers bused to SCK?

Yeah, I get that diversions are never that simple. I get that they are ALWAYS messy. But this just seems excessive. And I also get that it rarely is ever a matter of "just call up the buses". Especially late at night.

However, this is utterly bizarre. That's a WHOLE lot of fuel to be burning, and regardless of the status of SCK, someone is going to have to deal with a planeload of diverted passengers. Seems like there's an awful lot of "not talking" going on within the company, and that's NOT a good thing. Once is a fluke, yes, but flukes happen. If there is no contingency plan for this sort of thing, then someone flunked business 101 for airlines, and shouldn't be working there.


No Allegiant staff at SMF - closest would have been OAK or FAT.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 pm

Honestly, their plan does not seem that bad.
The sent the flight, probably thinking the issue at SCK would be fixed - because that type of issue usually is fixed quickly. Plane got there and it wasn't.
Held for a bit hoping it would be.
Diverted back to LAS - my guess is because that's where that plane is based.
There were weather concerns there so then re-diverted to LAX as the nearest place to go at that point.
 
tofur
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:22 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
"flight from hell" is really rather ridiculous. Was it good? Seemingly not. It's not as though they flew across the country, circled then diverted to an entirely different airport. They flew an hour, realized they couldn't land there, flew an hour back, circled a bit then flew another 30-40 minutes to land at an alternate airport. The headline is disingenuous, making it seem as though they flew around for 17 hours when in fact they actually landed and had plenty of opportunity to find a hotel, get some rest then catch another flight to SCK. Ridiculous - everyone wants to cash in on the slightest inconvenience. Frankly, they paid for a budget vacation, they got budget vacation treatment.


I am not sure why you find the title disingenuous. Was the total journey time not 17 hours? That indeed would be hell for a scheduled one hour flight. According to the video provided upthread, passengers were held in a secure area for some time without facilities (they claim without toilets). Yes, there are people that try to cash in on a slight inconvenience, but this was not one of those "slight" incidents. Not being combative, I agree wholeheartedly with one of your points: they paid for a budget flight and should be prepared for budget treatment. Unfortunately many consumers have not received that memo.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Google says the drive is 7+36, so “time to spare, go by air; more time yet, go by jet”. Yes an old bit of doggerel
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:50 pm

tofur wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
"flight from hell" is really rather ridiculous. Was it good? Seemingly not. It's not as though they flew across the country, circled then diverted to an entirely different airport. They flew an hour, realized they couldn't land there, flew an hour back, circled a bit then flew another 30-40 minutes to land at an alternate airport. The headline is disingenuous, making it seem as though they flew around for 17 hours when in fact they actually landed and had plenty of opportunity to find a hotel, get some rest then catch another flight to SCK. Ridiculous - everyone wants to cash in on the slightest inconvenience. Frankly, they paid for a budget vacation, they got budget vacation treatment.


I am not sure why you find the title disingenuous. Was the total journey time not 17 hours? That indeed would be hell for a scheduled one hour flight. According to the video provided upthread, passengers were held in a secure area for some time without facilities (they claim without toilets). Yes, there are people that try to cash in on a slight inconvenience, but this was not one of those "slight" incidents. Not being combative, I agree wholeheartedly with one of your points: they paid for a budget flight and should be prepared for budget treatment. Unfortunately many consumers have not received that memo.


because the inference is that they were flying around, or stuck on a plane for 17 hours. Nobody knows how long they were in the secure area "without facilities" but they did mention that people had to get hotels on their own so we know they left that secure area and were able to get some rest. Yes, not arriving for 17 hours on what should have been a one hour flight is a lot. The "flight from hell" inference is that they were on that plane for 17 hours. That's not the case. With respect to them cashing in - yes, I think they're trying to do that. Based on what they most likely paid for their air transportation, a $250 credit really isn't bad. Especially when it seems that weather was a significant factor.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 5205
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:51 pm

I rarely defend the airlines in these stories but they landed at an alternate airport and bused the passengers. The title and article are not clear. They were not circling and landing over and over for 17 hours. AA and WN with those flight cancellations earlier this month delayed alot of passengers alot more then this......
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:01 am

17 hours? I saw an AA flight from DFW-OGG earlier this year get delayed by 30 hours (including a two-hour wait for the gate on arrival in Maui). Now THAT'S a flight from hell.
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 1060
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:19 am

Cubsrule wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
Seems like Allegiant's dispatch screwed this flight up. It is no mystery that SCK's tower closes after 21:00 local (9:00 PM PDT). However, the flight did not depart from LAS until 8:55 PM PDT (52 minutes late). SCK has ATIS and at least three aircraft on IFR flight plans managed to access it for weather information so they could approach & land that night, even after the tower closed. But if you look at the flight history of AAY161, it seems to be flown on an erratic schedule, which is typical of Allegiant. They even dispatched this flight (over 3 hours late) to SCK on July 5, arriving after midnight & long after the tower closed.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSCK


The issue isn't arriving after the tower was closed; G4 does that all over the place, probably on a daily basis. It was that ASOS was down. Sort of a swiss cheese problem, since the ASOS outage wouldn't have been an issue had the tower been open.


Then it begs the question: If G4's dispatch knew that ASOS was down and obviously aware that the tower at SCK was closed by the time this flight were to arrive, why did they release it? But true, it was one of those "Swiss cheese" problems.
Last edited by FLALEFTY on Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1448
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:21 am

Yawn. This happens. The airlines can and should do better, but that's far from hellish, and many of us have been through domestic trips that get strung out into similar durations.

Allegiant not only explained what was going on, but also gave them vouchers. Either of those alone would put the service that the passengers on this flight received a long ways ahead of what United gave us the last time I had a domestic trip plan fall apart due to a combination of weather and airline problems. Both happening sounds downright soothing.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:49 am

The weather looked clear…..whatever happened to flying over midfield and looking at the windsock, entering the pattern and landing?
 
jjbiv
Posts: 1305
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:58 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
The weather looked clear…..whatever happened to flying over midfield and looking at the windsock, entering the pattern and landing?


Is this allowed under part 121 operations?
 
bigb
Posts: 1417
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:01 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
The weather looked clear…..whatever happened to flying over midfield and looking at the windsock, entering the pattern and landing?


You kidding right?
 
User avatar
B727skyguy
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:09 am

G4 has some interesting clauses in their contract of carriage. Here's what it says about diversions (Rule 85(G)): "If a flight is unable to land at the destination airport and is diverted to another airport, the carriage by air shall, unless the aircraft continues to the original destination, be deemed to be completed when the aircraft arrives at the diversion airport."

It goes on to say that the carrier "may" provide alternate transportation to transport passengers to the original destination. The words "may" and "will" do not mean the same thing.

Rule 81 is titled "Class Action Waiver." According to that rule, G4 passengers are prohibited from joining in any class action lawsuit against the airline or its staff.
Last edited by B727skyguy on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15706
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 am

32andBelow wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
Seems like Allegiant's dispatch screwed this flight up. It is no mystery that SCK's tower closes after 21:00 local (9:00 PM PDT). However, the flight did not depart from LAS until 8:55 PM PDT (52 minutes late). SCK has ATIS and at least three aircraft on IFR flight plans managed to access it for weather information so they could approach & land that night, even after the tower closed. But if you look at the flight history of AAY161, it seems to be flown on an erratic schedule, which is typical of Allegiant. They even dispatched this flight (over 3 hours late) to SCK on July 5, arriving after midnight & long after the tower closed.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSCK

What if I told you there are commercial airports all over the country that don’t even have towers


That's an instant a.net classic :rotfl:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15706
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Google says the drive is 7+36, so “time to spare, go by air; more time yet, go by jet”. Yes an old bit of doggerel


KFAT to KSCK would have been 2:30, add an hour to arrange buses, they could have had everyone home by a little after midnight.

Terrible showing by CBS Sacto. They didn't even attempt basic research for the story and just took the moron passenger's concern and questions about towers/ASOS at face value.

*Mocking voice*: how can the tower close? how can they rely on some automated system? Why is the airport unmanned at night?

Ummm...226 average ops/day, only 3% each mil and commercial?
Last edited by Aaron747 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I rarely defend the airlines in these stories but they landed at an alternate airport and bused the passengers. The title and article are not clear. They were not circling and landing over and over for 17 hours. AA and WN with those flight cancellations earlier this month delayed alot of passengers alot more then this......


When I first saw the thumbnail title on the YT Video, Noting the '17 hours' and 'Hell', I thought the title said they were diverted to Stockholm...

I was disappointed when I found out that their destination was just Stockton. :lol:
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am

Youtube comment:

"The worst part is when they finally landed they were in Stockton."

:lol:
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8082
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Allegiant Air 161 "Flight From Hell" 17 Hrs LAS-SCK

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 pm

jjbiv wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
The weather looked clear…..whatever happened to flying over midfield and looking at the windsock, entering the pattern and landing?


Is this allowed under part 121 operations?


No, you can under Part 91, perhaps under 91K and 135, but not 121. Perfectly reasonable, but not allowed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos