Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojjunior
Topic Author

Jul, 20th 2006: 15 years ago: VARIG ceased operations

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:41 am

On this day, 15 years ago, Brazil and the world lost one of the biggest airlines ever.

It was 79 years of life for the airline known in Brazil as "A Pioneira" (The Pioneer).
No wonder it had this nickname, it was recognized for decades by Brazilians and foreigners as an avant-garde airline, with excellent services and employees who simply loved working there, no matter the area or function.

VARIG stores around the world were called "Consulates" by Brazilians abroad, many times they were used and recognized as such, Brazilians went there due the most diverse needs and were attended. Or simply went there to have a Brazilian coffee, whether in New York, Tokyo, Paris, Copenhagen, Hong Kong, Santiago, Johannesburg, London, Rio...

VARIG was present in important moments in the history of Brazilian aviation, such as having the GRU's inaugural landing in 1985 with its Boeing 747, having been the official carrier of the Brazilian Soccer team and bringing home 3 World Cups but also sad moments, like the 1973 Orly disaster and the infamous flight RG254 crash in 1989, they also brought Ayrton Senna's body back from Paris in 1994.
VARIG was also one of Star Alliance the founding member, back in 1997.

Who could forget the classical Electra operating the shuttle service CGH-SDU for decades? Yes, VARIG gave that to us as well.

Much is said and speculated about what led to the bankruptcy of this icon of Brazilian aviation, remembered with nostalgia to this day by those who flew, worked or simply loved VARIG's classic and unforgettable Christmas jingles.

Anyway, good memories, good times, many miss.

You can read about VARIG's history on this website:
https://www.varig-airlines.com/en/20.htm

For enthusiasts, here you can see the fleet that for years colored our skies:
https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Varig

And here a comprehensive dossier of the airline:
https://www.varig-airlines.com/en/

Thank you VARIG!
1927-2006

dcajet

Re: Jul, 20th 2006: 15 years ago: VARIG ceased operations

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:23 am

Best airline in Latin America. No other comes close.

KlimaBXsst

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:49 am

I am curious to know more how David Matlin, Lap Chan, and Mark Patterson’s

Private Equity firm in the United States factored in and contributed to the demise of this very historic company.

My Portuguese is not good in trying to decipher some articles.

Newark727

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:04 am

Quite a nice collection of photos there - I had no idea Varig ever flew the passenger 757.

DCA350

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:23 am

Never understood why a powerhouse like Brazil can not sustain a world class airline.

dcajet

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 pm

DCA350 wrote:
Never understood why a powerhouse like Brazil can not sustain a world class airline.

Not easy to answer. Just a few thoughts:

* VARIG was around when Brazil's economy was much more unstable than it is today. Foreign exchange issues always affected the airline: the yo yo effect of Brazil's economy back in the 80s and 90s did not do VARIG any favors.

* The airline benefited tremendously from a close relationship with Brazil's military dictatorship (1964-1985) which gave VARIG preferential treatment. For decades, it was the de facto flag carrier and had an almost exclusive monopoly on international traffic rights among Brazilian airlines. When democracy returned, the market began to open up and it wasn´t pretty for VARIG, sending it on a decline that lasted for more 10-15 years until its sad end

* The airline was controlled by a foundation and many point to bad dealings at the Ruben Berta Foundation as partly responsible for its demise

I'm sure that folks from Brazil can chime in with more thoughts. That said, VARIG was, at its peak, a world class airline. Of course, of a different age. And one that could not adapt fast enough to the changes in Brazil's commercial aviation sector.

leleko747

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Forever in the hearts of Brazilian aviation enthusiasts... and some non-enthusiasts aswell!
Varig was a symbol of class, a symbol of great service, a pride to many Brazilians. Too bad that era is now gone :tombstone:

Some cool trivia about the airline :old:

- Varig was the only Brazilian airline to ever operate the Boeing 747. Their first 3 B747-200B arrived in 1981, and were originally built to Libyan Arab Airlines. These were NTU and Boeing offered a nice discount to Varig. The airline went on to operate the B747-300 and B747-400 aswell.

- Varig was the first to operate a widebody in Brazil, when their first DC-10 (PP-VMA) arrived in 1974.

- Varig MD-11 PP-VOQ was the aircraft that brought the body of famous F1 driver Ayrton Senna after his tragic death in Imola back in May 1994.

- Varig was the only Brazilian airline (and the only South American airline aswell) to serve the famous Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong. The route was very long: GIG-GRU-JNB-BKK-HKG!

- Varig was the only airline in the world to have operated the three main commercial quadjets of the 1960s: Boeing 707, Douglas DC-8 and Convair 990.

PS: Thank you for not mentioning that "Frankenstein" Varig that Gol launched. I'm glad that project is long gone. :stirthepot:

capejet

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks for posting all the photos and links. In the third link (comprehensive dossier) there was a lot of info about their routes and I noticed they flew from LAX to Tokyo. Were they able to carry local traffic on that route or were they restricted to passengers originating in Brazil?

jfk777

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:09 pm

Very sad to see the biggest airline group in Latin America go under. Loved seeing their 747 at JFK, LHR and Miami.

Phosphorus

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:20 pm

dcajet wrote:

Interesting. I've often heard that "Best airline in Latin America. No other comes close." was Panair do Brasil. And Panair, if memory serves, was murdered to make way for VARIG.
And those were Panair offices around the world that were called "Embassies" by Brazilians, no?

LatinPlane

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:34 pm

capejet wrote:
Thanks for posting all the photos and links. In the third link (comprehensive dossier) there was a lot of info about their routes and I noticed they flew from LAX to Tokyo. Were they able to carry local traffic on that route or were they restricted to passengers originating in Brazil?

Yes, most definitely. Not only did VARIG have 5th freedom rights from LAX to Tokyo (Narita) (4x weekly), but also from LA to Nagoya (3x weekly). I don't think we even have LAX-NGO flights today anymore.

Just click below and look at that beautiful RG 743 landing at NGO's old airport from a trans-pacific flight from LAX. You'll never get to see that again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP7oymT76kY

dcajet

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:41 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Interesting. I've often heard that "Best airline in Latin America. No other comes close." was Panair do Brasil. And Panair, if memory serves, was murdered to make way for VARIG.
And those were Panair offices around the world that were called "Embassies" by Brazilians, no?

I wasn´t born when Panair was around. But, living in Buenos Aires, I had many opportunities to fly VARIG in the 70s and 80s. Best airline in Latin America until the mid to late 90s, It was all downhill from then on.

Like all opinions, very subjective.

SJPBR

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 pm

LatinPlane wrote:
capejet wrote:

Yes, most definitely. Not only did VARIG have 5th freedom rights from LAX to Tokyo (Narita) (4x weekly), but also from LA to Nagoya (3x weekly). I don't think we even have LAX-NGO flights today anymore.

Just click below and look at that beautiful RG 743 landing at NGO's old airport from a trans-pacific flight from LAX. You'll never get to see that again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP7oymT76kY

Lot of less than daily, triangular flights, 1-stop etc..

Different days! Miss it

rg787

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
dcajet wrote:

This probably has to do with timing. While Panair was big and reason for pride, its last flight was on the 60s, a time which aviation had not evolved so much as it did in the years after. It is true however that Varig got many of its assets and fame.

Panair was a company from the early years of the jet age and I am not even sure if they got to operate any jet. Some years after, advancements such as the 747 and after that, the 767 and 777, and also, colored TV with live streaming more easily available and the early days of the internet, meant the world was a whole different thing. Those waves were "surfed" by Varig, Panair was long gone at this time. Most of the folks who saw Varig growing to what it came to be are still alive to tell the story, while people who flown Panair are not so common to see.

Also, Panair never even got to 40 years of age, while Varig stopped operating after completing 75 years. Those are almost double the years to make your entry into history and at an age where it was already possible to broadcast Varig's planes landing with the Brazilian soccer team or Senna. This gets into one's memory.

Nonetheless, Panair was indeed a great company, I don't think its place in Brazilian aviation and overall history is correctly recognized. Many of the country's airports and even radio infrastructure were created and operated by them, and even one of their engine shops is still world class to this day under GE's umbrella.

It hasn't, however, been forgotten. One of the most famous artists of Brazilian music, Elis Regina, has a very well known song that refers to the company:

Lá vinha o bonde no sobe e desce ladeira
E o motorneiro parava a orquestra um minuto
Para me contar casos da campanha da Itália
E do tiro que ele não levou
Levei um susto imenso nas asas da Panair
Descobri que as coisas mudam
E que tudo é pequeno nas asas da Panair
E lá vai menino xingando padre e pedra
E lá vai menino lambendo podre delícia
E lá vai menino senhor de todo o fruto
Sem nenhum pecado, sem pavor
O medo em minha vida nasceu muito depois...
Descobri que minha arma é o que
A memória guarda dos tempos da Panair
Nada de triste existe que não se esqueca
Alguém insiste e fala ao coracão
Tudo de triste que existe e não se esquece
Alguém insiste e fere no coracão
Nada de novo existe nesse planeta
Que não se fale aqui na mesa do bar
E aquela briga e aquela fome de bola
E aquele tango e aquela dama da noite
E aquela mancha e a fala oculta
Que no fundo do quintal morreu
Morri a casa dia
Dos dias que eu vivi
Creveja que tomo hoje é
Apenas em memória
Dos tempos da Panair
A (primeira Coca-Cola foi
Me lembro bem agora
Nas asas da Panair
A maior das maravilhas foi
Voando sobre o mundo
Nas asas da Panair
Em volta dessa mesa velhos e mocos
Lembrando o que já foi
Em volta dessa mesa, existem outras
Falando tão igual
Em volta dessas mesas existe a rua
Vivendo seu normal
Em volta dessa rua, uma cidade
Sonhando seus metais
Em volta da cidade...

Translating one of the verses:
The beer I drink today is only to remember of the times of Panair.
The first coca-cola, I remember well, was on the wings of Panair.
The biggest of wonders was flying through the world on the wings of Panair.

leleko747

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 pm

rg787 wrote:
Panair was a company from the early years of the jet age and I am not even sure if they got to operate any jet.

Yep, they operated the Caravelle and DC-8s aswell. Varig inherited these DC-8s, not sure about the Caravelles.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:23 pm

I can’t say I was aware there was a Star alliance painted 743, I never got to see an RG aircraft myself.

2 of their 744s ended up with my home airline NZ. I think RG had 3 744s briefly?

ojjunior
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:55 pm

What about VARIG operating in HNL?

dcajet

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:59 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
I can’t say I was aware there was a Star alliance painted 743, I never got to see an RG aircraft myself.

2 of their 744s ended up with my home airline NZ. I think RG had 3 744s briefly?

IIRC; there were 747-341M, 767-241, 767-341 and a MD11 with the * Alliance livery at VARIG.

ojjunior
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:01 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:

Yep.
3 of them for about 3 years:
https://www.varig-airlines.com/en/b747400.htm

ojjunior
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:06 pm

dcajet wrote:

IIRC; there were 747-341M, 767-241, 767-341 and a MD11 with the * Alliance livery at VARIG.

2 Star Alliance MD-11 actually.
You missed the "albino" one:

leleko747

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:23 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:

This 747 was actually painted for just one day, as far as I know. Never entered service wearing the Star Alliance scheme. Sadly I don't know the reason :(

ZK-NBT wrote:

Yes, PP-VPG, VPH and VPI. I believe they arrived around 1991/1992 and were gone by 1994.
Two of them were 441s (41 being the Boeing Customer Code of Varig), while the other one was a 475 (Canadian Airlines NTU).
Leasing fees were too high and Varig financial shape was not that nice, so they got rid of the 400s.

dcajet

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:34 pm

ojjunior wrote:
What about VARIG operating in HNL?

IIRC, the flights to TYO (back when there was only Haneda) on the 707 initially made a tech stop at HNL, which was then switched to Anchorage. Eventually the intermediate stop was no longer necessary between LAX and Tokyo when the newer DC-10s arrived to the fleet (the likes of PP-VMS, delivered in the early 80s) and it was eliminated.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:08 am

ojjunior wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Yep.
3 of them for about 3 years:
https://www.varig-airlines.com/en/b747400.htm

Thank you. That’s states all 3 went to NZ, only 2 did I think the third went to GA?

How many 747 classics did they have at peak? And all up?

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:10 am

leleko747 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

This 747 was actually painted for just one day, as far as I know. Never entered service wearing the Star Alliance scheme. Sadly I don't know the reason :(

ZK-NBT wrote:

Yes, PP-VPG, VPH and VPI. I believe they arrived around 1991/1992 and were gone by 1994.
Two of them were 441s (41 being the Boeing Customer Code of Varig), while the other one was a 475 (Canadian Airlines NTU).
Leasing fees were too high and Varig financial shape was not that nice, so they got rid of the 400s.

You would think if they painted it they would have left it in that scheme given it was their own aircraft not some leased or demo frame from Boeing.

DCA350

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:00 am

dcajet wrote:
DCA350 wrote:

Not easy to answer. Just a few thoughts:

* VARIG was around when Brazil's economy was much more unstable than it is today. Foreign exchange issues always affected the airline: the yo yo effect of Brazil's economy back in the 80s and 90s did not do VARIG any favors.

* The airline benefited tremendously from a close relationship with Brazil's military dictatorship (1964-1985) which gave VARIG preferential treatment. For decades, it was the de facto flag carrier and had an almost exclusive monopoly on international traffic rights among Brazilian airlines. When democracy returned, the market began to open up and it wasn´t pretty for VARIG, sending it on a decline that lasted for more 10-15 years until its sad end

* The airline was controlled by a foundation and many point to bad dealings at the Ruben Berta Foundation as partly responsible for its demise

I'm sure that folks from Brazil can chime in with more thoughts. That said, VARIG was, at its peak, a world class airline. Of course, of a different age. And one that could not adapt fast enough to the changes in Brazil's commercial aviation sector.

Excellent breakdown.. Outside of COPA, international Latin American airlines are struggling despite traffic recovering stronger than most regions.. I really hope Avianca pulls through, very good airline in my opinion.

CDG777FAN

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:43 am

As rightly pointed out, country economics and bad management were the cause of Varig's demise.

Varig came to the spotlight by being cozy with the military dictators ruling the country back in the day. This same military joint that pushed Panair do Brasil into bankruptcy allowing Varig to take over Panair's routes and some assets the very night. Decades after it was Varig who will be let dying by the Brazilian government along the take over by GOL and the international expansion of TAM.

RG was a truly world class airline. Good onboard experience. I still remember their office in downtown Sao Paulo and the pricing team. On times were GDS weren't that effective on fare calculation specially when it comes to round the world fares the RG pricing was great. All done by fax.
My very first Amadeus training took place in CGH by RG staff. I do remember the classroom being not far from VASP hangars and the noise of engineers perfuming tests on 737 engines...

leleko747

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:08 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:

Thank you. That’s states all 3 went to NZ, only 2 did I think the third went to GA?

How many 747 classics did they have at peak? And all up?

PP-VPG (B747-441) went to Garuda as PK-GSI
PP-VPH (B747-441) went to Air New Zealand as ZK-SUI
PP-VPI (B747-475) went to Air New Zealand as ZK-SUH

Varig have operated 9 747 Classics:

B747-200BM PP-VNA (Combi)
B747-200BM PP-VNB (Combi)
B747-200BM PP-VNC (Combi)
B747-200B PP-VNW (leased from South African Airways for a short period. Oddball in the fleet - had a slightly different livery and had JT9Ds instead of GE engines)

B747-300 PP-VOA (full pax, GE CF6-80 engines)
B747-300 PP-VOB (full pax, GE CF6-80 engines)
B747-300 PP-VOC (full pax, GE CF6-80 engines)
B747-300M PP-VNH (Combi, GE CF6-50 engines)
B747-300M PP-VNI (Combi, GE CF6-50 engines)

ojjunior
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:33 pm

leleko747 wrote:
B747-200B PP-VNW (leased from South African Airways for a short period. Oddball in the fleet - had a slightly different livery and had JT9Ds instead of GE engines)

A very odd livery indeed for VNW

SRGVA67

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:02 pm

capejet wrote:

Yes they were allowed to carry local passengers. I flew with them from LAX to TYO on a B-707 back in 1973. Technical stop at SEA. Great airline and one of my best flights ever.

PB26

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:15 am

Yes, the VARIG was great and a symbol from a Brazil that wants to be a global powerhouse.

But the VARIG's origins were so prolific, with German influence from Condor Syndikat and Deustche Lufthansa. All the technical procedures were based in the german airlines. This was because the VARIG's founder was a former German pilot during the WWI and the company was founded in the Rio Grande do Sul, a state with larger German diáspora.

Rubem Berta, VARIG's first employee and later president, claimed the Company has good relations with government, with employees, customers and the society:

- Getúlio Vargas, Rio Grande do Sul's governor and Brazil's presidente from 1930-1945 and 1951-1954, saw Berta and VARIG as model for the employee and companies relationships. He made loans in the VARIG's early years, bought a stake in the company as governor. After, as president, gave the New York route concession.

- In 1945, Berta suggested the shareholders gave half of the equity to employees, and this was the origin of VARIG Employees Foundation, later Rubem Berta Foundation after RB passes away in 1966.

- In 1977, VARIG was the largest private company in Brazil. The largest private airline outside of US and the profit margin was one of highest of the world.

- The onboard quality began in 1955, when the company launched the route tô NY. Berta went to Vogue Restaurant in Rio de Janeiro and asked to Baron Max von Stuckart to make "something that we van proud". In 1979 VARIG was awardes The Airline of the Year by onboard quality by Air Transport World.

- In Eigthies, the Company had a structure that few companies in the world had too: largest maintenance complex in Southern Hemisphere (GIG, CGH and POA); training facilities in GIG and POA; catering complex in GRU and GIG and minor facilities in LIS, JFK, LAX and EZE); high luxury hotels in Manaus, Foz do Iguaçu, João Pessoa and São Paulo; regional service (Rio Sul); cargo service (one of the 20 largest of the world);

- Both VARIG and Panair had high customer services, but PB ceased in a polemic way tô benefit VARIG in 1965. Both was the best companies in its times. The agencies of both companies were known as embassies;

- The VARIG's fortune changed in 1990 when the Fernando Collor became Brazil's president. He had relationships with VASP's owner, Wagner Canhedo, and made a deregulation of the Brazilian Aviation, breaking the VARIG's international Monopoly tô favor VASP and Transbrasil;

- And, for me, the great factor to VARIG's dismiss was the feud that became Rubem Berta Foundation after Hélio Smidt's death in 1990.

The777Man

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 am

[url][/url]One of my favorite airlines and probably all time favorite livery as shown here:

Varig was the first airline to have internet onboard with the delivery of PP-VRA and PP-VRB.

The777Man

bunumuring

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am

Hey guys,
Spotting VARIG jets in that classic colourscheme at NRT and LHR on planespotting trips in the mid to late 1990s were highlights of the trips from my home in Australia. Such a classy colourscheme! I am sure that I remember correctly that Landor designed it? And that a certain a.netter here had something to do with it, hmmmmm?!?!
Sad that VARIG has gone like some other pioneering classics - wonder what they would've been flying if still around in 2021?
Take care,
Bunumuring

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos