Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
cameronmd80
Topic Author
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:50 am

Although this happened several months ago, I noticed that this was never discussed on the forum from it happened. I thought that this was a pretty historic event for FLL as it was the largest plane to visit the airport (Well, depending on if you consider the Antonov 124 to be bigger).
https://youtu.be/X11SFdQqHaI
 
UA748i
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:31 am

Great video! A6-ABJ is a very clean 747, and I guess thats why I appreciate her so much. There are no other interesting 748 liveries out, so Ill take it.
 
B777Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:30 am

I think this aircraft now is part of Qatar Airways Executive it’s not Amiri , it’s using the registration as a call sign , the Amiri flights use “Amiri ##” as call sign
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:58 am

Hey guys,
Great video!
Interesting selection of aircraft in the first bit and then the main show. People like me who live in rural/remote areas and don't often get to airports appreciate this kind of work especially!
Well done and keep up the good work!
Take care,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 am

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

One question: Why would the airport need a runway inspection after a jumbo take off? I know this from some smaller airports with narrower runways, but both runways in FLL are 46m wide with additional two 10m wide shoulders on the sides. A total with of 66m should be more than plenty for a departing jumbo without the risk of swirling up debris or dust to the runway. Frankfurt for example has runways either 60m wide or 45m + 15m shoulders, where jumbos and A380s depart and land on a daily basis without any necessity for a runway inspection.

And... anyone noticed the L1 door on the Southwest 737 at 3:43? The turn handle on the door is not in the stowed position.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 am

Years ago , I watched a 747-121 take off from the same width runway runway in Cleveland. A piece of the asphalt shoulder (not the concrete runway) that had to be at least the 3m by 3m was torn from the ground and just missed the elevator. An airport with very infrequent departures by aircraft with engines outboard of the runway edges may not inspect those shoulders as frequently or they may know they might fail. FLL (like all of Florida) is probably very keen on concrete deterioration right now.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
     
    UAEflyer
    Posts: 1291
    Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:14 am

    B777Driver wrote:
    I think this aircraft now is part of Qatar Airways Executive it’s not Amiri , it’s using the registration as a call sign , the Amiri flights use “Amiri ##” as call sign

    Does that mean it’s available for charter for anyone with deep pockets?
     
    RoyalBrunei757
    Posts: 321
    Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am

    UAEflyer wrote:
    B777Driver wrote:
    I think this aircraft now is part of Qatar Airways Executive it’s not Amiri , it’s using the registration as a call sign , the Amiri flights use “Amiri ##” as call sign

    Does that mean it’s available for charter for anyone with deep pockets?

    Unfortunately no, Qatar Airways Executive only offers Gulfstream jets for charter. Although not carrying Amiri callsign, it was most probably carrying some royal family member or senior ministers on board.
     
    LCDFlight
    Posts: 1078
    Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am

    MohawkWeekend wrote:
    Years ago , I watched a 747-121 take off from the same width runway runway in Cleveland. A piece of the asphalt shoulder (not the concrete runway) that had to be at least the 3m by 3m was torn from the ground and just missed the elevator. An airport with very infrequent departures by aircraft with engines outboard of the runway edges may not inspect those shoulders as frequently or they may know they might fail. FLL (like all of Florida) is probably very keen on concrete deterioration right now.


    Excellent post; that would seem to be right on target.
     
    Virtual737
    Posts: 1134
    Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:34 am

    Why does the SouthWest 737 at the 4 minute mark seem to have the L1 door not fully latched? Might just be me.
     
    TEBfan
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:49 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 pm

    conaly wrote:
    Nice video, thanks for sharing.

    One question: Why would the airport need a runway inspection after a jumbo take off? I know this from some smaller airports with narrower runways, but both runways in FLL are 46m wide with additional two 10m wide shoulders on the sides. A total with of 66m should be more than plenty for a departing jumbo without the risk of swirling up debris or dust to the runway. Frankfurt for example has runways either 60m wide or 45m + 15m shoulders, where jumbos and A380s depart and land on a daily basis without any necessity for a runway inspection.

    And... anyone noticed the L1 door on the Southwest 737 at 3:43? The turn handle on the door is not in the stowed position.


    Hi, my guess is that FLL is classified for a different design group than the 747-8. During my time at KSEA, runway surface inspections were conducted after group VI aircraft like the An-124, A380 because the airport was classified as a group V airport. Biggest thing to look for besides debris (we had paved shoulders too) were edge signage that would be blown over by the thrust.
     
    Prost
    Posts: 2644
    Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:03 pm

    I was most interested in the BCAO 727 in the background. The 747-8i was very cool, but come on, a three holer in ‘21?
     
    dcaproducer
    Posts: 430
    Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:12 pm

    conaly wrote:

    And... anyone noticed the L1 door on the Southwest 737 at 3:43? The turn handle on the door is not in the stowed position.


    Someone commented on YouTube about the same thing. It definitely doesn't look stowed in the correct position.
     
    crownvic
    Posts: 2842
    Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

     
    User avatar
    Devilfish
    Posts: 7406
    Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm

    UA748i wrote:
    There are no other interesting 748 liveries out, so Ill take it.

    I think this one is pretty interesting as well..... :cheerful:

    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
     
    SMYD
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Sat May 22, 2021 4:40 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:51 pm

    The 737 door handle is spring loaded to retract into a flush position after you latch the door closed. If you let go of the handle after closing the door and the handle isnt aligned with its recessed slot it will stay in whatever position it was released at. Doesn't hurt anything. The door is still latched. Airstream will rotate the handle the the horizontal position after takeoff and it will be pulled into its recess.
     
    User avatar
    Erau82
    Posts: 31
    Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:13 pm

    The 727-200 was donated by FedEx to Broward College Aviation. It's used by the A&P school.
     
    User avatar
    kaminari
    Posts: 54
    Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:25 am

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 pm

    Technically, Cargolux had the first 748 at FLL in June, 2014 of which I have some pretty bad quality photos.. It was a diversion from Miami. I can't confirm any others, but I'm sure FLL had cargo 748s a few times as diversions or for horse cargo to Dubai.
     
    cameronmd80
    Topic Author
    Posts: 23
    Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:18 am

    kaminari wrote:
    Technically, Cargolux had the first 748 at FLL in June, 2014 of which I have some pretty bad quality photos.. It was a diversion from Miami. I can't confirm any others, but I'm sure FLL had cargo 748s a few times as diversions or for horse cargo to Dubai.


    Well that's the thing that always catches me off guard. Things like that people cant really expect to know because although those alleged visits were by accident, Nobody talks about those events or the pics/vids never surface. This exact issue is one of the reasons why I got into plane spotting.
     
    yyztpa2
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:41 am

    conaly wrote:
    And... anyone noticed the L1 door on the Southwest 737 at 3:43? The turn handle on the door is not in the stowed position.


    Virtual737 wrote:
    Why does the SouthWest 737 at the 4 minute mark seem to have the L1 door not fully latched? Might just be me.


    I saw that too. Can that be stowed from inside before take-off? Could not see position during take-off roll.
     
    UAEflyer
    Posts: 1291
    Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:17 pm

    Devilfish wrote:
    UA748i wrote:
    There are no other interesting 748 liveries out, so Ill take it.

    I think this one is pretty interesting as well..... :cheerful:


    Long time this aircraft wasn’t spotted anywhere.
     
    Q
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:29 am

    Re: Qatar's Boeing 747-8 BBJ Takeoff from FLL

    Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm

    The bridge jetway worker did NOT a good job to look at the door latched if locked right position before the jetway moved out. Why didn't the crew check before leaving the jetway? It's pretty crazy.

    Q

    Popular Searches On Airliners.net

    Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

    Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

    Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

    Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

    Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

    Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

    Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

    Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

    Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

    Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

    Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

    Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

    Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

    Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

    Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos