Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305
Topic Author

AA Launches MIA-AXA, MIA-DOM

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:51 pm

AA is launching MIA-AXA and MIA-DOM starting Dec 11 and Dec 8 respectively. Both routes will be flown with the Embraer 75 and will be twice weekly.

MIA-DOM 11:00-15:21 (We,Sa)
DOM-MIA 16:24-18:55 (We, Sa)

MIA-AXA 10:50-14:49 (We, Sa)
AXA-MIA 15:40-17:53 (We,Sa)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... oOlhzfgG3l

Very big news for both AXA and DOM. I'm excited to see how AA does on both of these routes. I had no idea AXA's runway was long enough for passenger jet service.

luckyone

Re: AA Launches MIA-AXA, MIA-DOM

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Interesting timing for a nonstop DOM-Miami. The big traffic driver on and off the island to the States was Ross U, which relocated to Barbados after Hurricane Maria. I'll be curious to see how they handle that approach, because I heard people on this forum for years saying that jets can't handle the over mountain approach--never mind that 727 freighters did it regularly.

Edit: it would appear that AA did some proving runs in the last month or so, and the aircraft approached over the mountains.

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/hom ... ts-shores/

BoeingGuy

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Interesting. I’d predicted MIA-DOM in another thread recently and a number of others responded with reasons why it will never happen.

Dominica is very cool. Some good outdoor and ecotourism opportunities.

ATLgaUSA

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:44 pm

With these additions plus San Andres, what other airports with runways long enough lack Miami service?

luckyone

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:53 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Interesting. I’d predicted MIA-DOM in another thread recently and a number of others responded with reasons why it will never happen.

I still question whether the traffic is there but I guess we shall see.

Zidane

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
With these additions plus San Andres, what other airports with runways long enough lack Miami service?

I'd say TAB, maybe EIS if they extend the runway.

Brickell305
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:

On AA (excluding instances where AA already serves a distinct airport in the same market e.g SLU/UVF and restricted Cuban markets):

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

These are all I could think of. I’m not sure whether the runway at EIS is long enough for an E175. I doubt it though. AA’s Caribbean coverage ex MIA is extremely impressive.

Brickell305
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 pm

luckyone wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I also questioned that. However, at 2x weekly, I think there should definitely be enough traffic to support it. I’d question daily service though.

luckyone

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I also questioned that. However, at 2x weekly, I think there should definitely be enough traffic to support it. I’d question daily service though.

Possibly. The infrastructure in Dominica is not robust though to support even moderate numbers of tourists. That’s definitely part of its appeal, but both things would struggle to exist at the same time.

Ytraveller

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 pm

American will actually be returning to these 2 destinations. Both can be seen in AA's route map from 2002: https://www.flickr.com/photos/erussell1 ... /sizes/3k/

Not sure what aircraft type was used back then.

luckyone

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Ytraveller wrote:
American will actually be returning to these 2 destinations. Both can be seen in AA's route map from 2002: https://www.flickr.com/photos/erussell1 ... /sizes/3k/

Not sure what aircraft type was used back then.

They were served through SJU with ATRs until 2013 (Plus or minus a year or so) when the ATRs were retired. At least that’s for DOM. Can’t speak precisely when AXA was discontinued.

Q

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks for not putting cities for the code. Some members are not aware of it. I had to check and find. AXA is Anguilla, Anguilla and DOM is Melville, Dominica. Please next time comments for example JFK = New York Kennedy.

Thanks,

Q

luckyone

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

It used to be daily ATR from SJU.

BA744PHX

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Q wrote:
Thanks for not putting cities for the code. Some members are not aware of it. I had to check and find. AXA is Anguilla, Anguilla and DOM is Melville, Dominica. Please next time comments for example JFK = New York Kennedy.

Thanks,

Q

The benefits of using google when you aren’t sure of something.

I had to google it as well, it is what it is.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

On AA (excluding instances where AA already serves a distinct airport in the same market e.g SLU/UVF and restricted Cuban markets):

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

These are all I could think of. I’m not sure whether the runway at EIS is long enough for an E175. I doubt it though. AA’s Caribbean coverage ex MIA is extremely impressive.

AA flies to AZS but oddly from Charlotte instead of Miami. Also missing is La Romana which AA used to fly to for a very long time.

CAP was discontinued during COVID. I think it will come back soon enough.

dfw88

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:46 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

AZS was announced a few months ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/micheleherrmann/2021/07/23/saman-welcomes-new-seasonal-american-airlines-route-from-charlotte/?sh=722da65344f3

AA recently left CAP. I can't decide if that makes it more or less likely that they return (could they be back post-pandemic? vs. has it always lost money?). The other three you mention would be fascinating. I think the runway at CYB is too short (~6,000ft), but it looks like CAY and TAB could work. Of course, there's probably not much demand, but it would be fun to see them try.

Brickell305
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:51 pm

dfw88 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

AZS was announced a few months ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/micheleherrmann/2021/07/23/saman-welcomes-new-seasonal-american-airlines-route-from-charlotte/?sh=722da65344f3

AA recently left CAP. I can't decide if that makes it more or less likely that they return (could they be back post-pandemic? vs. has it always lost money?). The other three you mention would be fascinating. I think the runway at CYB is too short (~6,000ft), but it looks like CAY and TAB could work. Of course, there's probably not much demand, but it would be fun to see them try.

AZS was announced from CLT, not MIA. CYB’s runway is longer than DOM or AXA and it’s a much shorter distance so it should be long enough.

Brickell305
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:56 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
ATLgaUSA wrote:

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

AA flies to AZS but oddly from Charlotte instead of Miami. Also missing is La Romana which AA used to fly to for a very long time.

I forgot LRM. I think that one is especially odd. I guess we could also add Aguadilla and Ponce in Puerto Rico to that list as I don’t believe AA ever served those from MIA.

maps4ltd

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

I forgot LRM. I think that one is especially odd. I guess we could also add Aguadilla and Ponce in Puerto Rico to that list as I don’t believe AA ever served those from MIA.

Speaking of PSE, I'm surprised AA still lacks service to Aguadilla (BQN), especially since JetBlue, Spirit, and United have it.

iwastemyday

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm

MIA-VQS would be really nice too! But mot sure the 4k foot runway would be long enough for E175 to MIA.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

AZS
CAP
CAY
CYB
TAB

AA did fly MIABQN in the early 1990s. It’s also in the cards to come back this year, stay tuned.

phatfarmlines

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:18 am

iwastemyday wrote:
MIA-VQS would be really nice too! But mot sure the 4k foot runway would be long enough for E175 to MIA.

Other than that fancy "W" resort on Vieques, which by the way is closed since it got damaged by Hurricane Maria, is there really that much hotel room space there to warrant a mainland NS?

phatfarmlines

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:29 am

luckyone wrote:
Interesting timing for a nonstop DOM-Miami. The big traffic driver on and off the island to the States was Ross U, which relocated to Barbados after Hurricane Maria. I'll be curious to see how they handle that approach, because I heard people on this forum for years saying that jets can't handle the over mountain approach--never mind that 727 freighters did it regularly.

Edit: it would appear that AA did some proving runs in the last month or so, and the aircraft approached over the mountains.

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/hom ... ts-shores/

We had discussed this in another thread which I can't find, but the airport received improvements by leveling some of the hills close to the west end of the runway. Still a complicated approach though.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... n#2825bec2

USAirALB

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:58 am

AA's Caribbean route network is extremely impressive; not just from MIA, but rather from each hub. I totaled up the number of nonstop destinations served from each US3 hub, and no one comes even close to AA's size in the region:

1) AA/MIA: 33 destinations
2) AA/CLT: 24 destinations
3) UA/EWR: 22 destinations
4) DL/ATL: 19 destinations
5) Tie between AA/PHL and DL/JFK at 14 destinations each

YQBexYHZBGM

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 am

Bravo for AA. This is a welcome addition. While the timing is sensible for passengers originating in or traveling to MIA, it will likely require an overnight in MIA for those travelling to or from points north. Still, it will provide an easier option to reach MIA than connecting through one of the nearby islands on LIAT, Air Antilles or Inter Caribbean.

While Dominica lacks the large, all-inclusive beach resorts of some other islands to attract mass-market tourists, it does have adequate capacity for those who deliberately choose The Nature Isle over its neighbours. This flight will also be a boon for Dominica residents for shopping, given the limited availability and high prices of local retailers.

I believe the previous AA (Eagle) service to DOM was an ATR from SJU; I don't believe they operated nonstop from MIA in the past.

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:01 am

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Bravo for AA. This is a welcome addition. While the timing is sensible for passengers originating in or traveling to MIA, it will likely require an overnight in MIA for those travelling to or from points north. Still, it will provide an easier option to reach MIA than connecting through one of the nearby islands on LIAT, Air Antilles or Inter Caribbean.

While Dominica lacks the large, all-inclusive beach resorts of some other islands to attract mass-market tourists, it does have adequate capacity for those who deliberately choose The Nature Isle over its neighbours. This flight will also be a boon for Dominica residents for shopping, given the limited availability and high prices of local retailers.

I believe the previous AA (Eagle) service to DOM was an ATR from SJU; I don't believe they operated nonstop from MIA in the past.

Those flights fit right into AA's existing banks in MIA - connecting to/from most cities will not require an overnight.

maps4ltd

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 am

iwastemyday wrote:

Vieques? That's Cape Air territory man 8-) :D

(and they got a local carrier called Vieques Air Link. Either way, your main route off the island is through SJU)

n797mx

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 am

The bad thing about DOM is that it will be a VFR only city. The approach to 09 is a visual one and the RNAV to 27 approach only covers category A/B aircraft. The ERJ-175 is category C.

adamh8297

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 am

USAirALB wrote:
AA's Caribbean route network is extremely impressive; not just from MIA, but rather from each hub. I totaled up the number of nonstop destinations served from each US3 hub, and no one comes even close to AA's size in the region:

Do your numbers count Bahamas and Turks and Caicos? - Some consider these non-Caribbean.

If you do then B6 has 24 destinations from JFK and 15 destinations from BOS as well though the majority in BOS are not daily. I did not count anything Mexico or South America as well that may be on the Caribbean like CTG or CUN.

USAirALB

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Do your numbers count Bahamas and Turks and Caicos? - Some consider these non-Caribbean.

If you do then B6 has 24 destinations from JFK and 15 destinations from BOS as well though the majority in BOS are not daily. I did not count anything Mexico or South America as well that may be on the Caribbean like CTG or CUN.

As I said in the post, I only looked at the US3-not B6.

I did count Bahamian destinations, as well as BDA and PLS, but I did not count RTB.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:35 pm

USAirALB wrote:

AA was strong to the Caribbean before the last round of mergers and is even stronger now because it’s the only one of the Big 3 with both a high-O&D Caribbean hub and a domestic hub well-placed for leisure connections. This makes possible lots of synergies.

Brickell305
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

AA was strong to the Caribbean before the last round of mergers and is even stronger now because it’s the only one of the Big 3 with both a high-O&D Caribbean hub and a domestic hub well-placed for leisure connections. This makes possible lots of synergies.

I posit that DL could be similarly placed if it chose to be as JFK also has high O&D to the Caribbean. However, DL has left lots of that traffic to B6. ATL is similarly positioned as CLT. I never truly understood why DL hasn't attempted to become stronger in the Caribbean other than deciding that the market just isn't worth it.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:05 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I posit that DL could be similarly placed if it chose to be as JFK also has high O&D to the Caribbean. However, DL has left lots of that traffic to B6. ATL is similarly positioned as CLT. I never truly understood why DL hasn't attempted to become stronger in the Caribbean other than deciding that the market just isn't worth it.

You’re right about the demand ex-JFK, but I think part of the problem is geographic. From MIA, AA makes liberal use of regional jets (including 50-seaters to places like GGT). That’s harder from JFK.

USAirALB

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
I never truly understood why DL hasn't attempted to become stronger in the Caribbean other than deciding that the market just isn't worth it.

I recall they equipped several ASA CR7s to be capable of flying overwater and launched a number of routes between 2005-2006. They did ATL-PSE/BQN/FDF/PTP.

They also used to do ATL-BGI/CUR/GND; all stations that DL has since closed.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

You’re right about the demand ex-JFK, but I think part of the problem is geographic. From MIA, AA makes liberal use of regional jets (including 50-seaters to places like GGT). That’s harder from JFK.

I'd say classic case of opportunity cost as well. There is simply far more money to be made elsewhere out of JFK. The VFR and leisure skew of Caribbean traffic makes it quite low-yielding.

I always remember what Willie Walsh said when he was asked why BA gutted its African network. Profitable, but just too low-yielding.

DaveMetroD

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:38 pm

Flew into/out of DOM on American Eagle ATR-72 from SJU years ago.

Coming in over the mountains shouldn't be a problem for the ERJ-175 as long as the visibility isn't impaired.

But what concerns me is the possibility of using runway 27 at night.
While the winds calm towards nightfall, I wouldn't want to be on an aircraft that has to go around.
Make a steep climb out of the valley with the possibility of tailwinds? No thanks.
In any case, I suspect that the use of runway 27 by an ERJ-175 is beyond the tech specs.

IIRC, the Amerijet 727 was weight restricted out of DOM.
The ATR-72 was weight restricted.
While waiting to load at SJU, we were switched to a different ATR-72.
The one that was scheduled had too much fuel on-board.
It was quicker to get another one than offload some fuel.

737MAX7

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Q wrote:

Thanks,

Q

I didn’t know these city codes either yet it only took me 20 seconds on the Flightradar 24 app to figure them out. You’ll survive just like I did. :roll:

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:04 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I'd say classic case of opportunity cost as well. There is simply far more money to be made elsewhere out of JFK. The VFR and leisure skew of Caribbean traffic makes it quite low-yielding.

I always remember what Willie Walsh said when he was asked why BA gutted its African network. Profitable, but just too low-yielding.

All correct, and the longer the stage length, the higher the opportunity cost. So geography and opportunity cost are related.

DaveMetroD

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Playing around with ITA Matrix.
American has a round trip DTW-MIA that will work with the announced times MIA-DOM-MIA(not loaded yet in the schedule).
When I went I had to overnight in Tampa both ways. DTW-DOM and return wasn't possible in one day.

I noticed that Delta has a convenient DTW-SJU-DOM and return schedule.
Not so sure being in a Saab 340 for 1 hour 45 minutes is convenient. I've been in one for 40 minutes and that was long enough.

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:15 pm

DaveMetroD wrote:
American has a round trip DTW-MIA that will work with the announced times MIA-DOM-MIA(not loaded yet in the schedule).
When I went I had to overnight in Tampa both ways. DTW-DOM and return wasn't possible in one day.

Not so sure being in a Saab 340 for 1 hour 45 minutes is convenient. I've been in one for 40 minutes and that was long enough.

I presume the SJU-DOM would be a Silver codeshare?

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:20 pm

USAirALB wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
I never truly understood why DL hasn't attempted to become stronger in the Caribbean other than deciding that the market just isn't worth it.

I recall they equipped several ASA CR7s to be capable of flying overwater and launched a number of routes between 2005-2006. They did ATL-PSE/BQN/FDF/PTP.

AA has been able to expand its CLT-Caribbean network since the merger because the variable costs are low. They already have a full station set up for the MIA flights so adding a few CLT flights a week is not logistically difficult and probably actually lowers the cost per passenger for AA at that station.

DaveMetroD

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:23 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
DaveMetroD wrote:

Yes, I should have included that.
I can't see Delta getting any Saabs ;)

travaz

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 pm

This photo of the ATR is labeled Oct 2018. Also if you google Airport DOM you get some nice Photos of a C-117:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... 3oECFcQAw#

Edit Typo

BangersAndMash

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:39 pm

DaveMetroD wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
DaveMetroD wrote:

Yes, I should have included that.
I can't see Delta getting any Saabs ;)

We've seen weirder things! :lol:

When are they bringing the ATRs to SJU? Those Saabs must be on their last legs!

USAirALB

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

AA has been able to expand its CLT-Caribbean network since the merger because the variable costs are low. They already have a full station set up for the MIA flights so adding a few CLT flights a week is not logistically difficult and probably actually lowers the cost per passenger for AA at that station.

Indeed. I think at this point however, Caribbean expansion from CLT is likely complete. Every other Caribbean city that AA serves (but does not serve nonstop from CLT) is either an extremely small, premium market (like FTF) or a VFR market (like KIN, PAP, STI) that are best served elsewhere. The only market I could see them adding from CLT is BON.

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 pm

USAirALB wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Indeed. I think at this point however, Caribbean expansion from CLT is likely complete. Every other Caribbean city that AA serves (but does not serve nonstop from CLT) is either an extremely small, premium market (like FTF) or a VFR market (like KIN, PAP, STI) that are best served elsewhere. The only market I could see them adding from CLT is BON.

I would agree however they added AZS from CLT which was way out of left field so who knows?

I do think they will continue to connect some of the VFR markets with PHL - they've added STI and KIN and I wouldn't be surprised if they added another PR airport and PAP once things stabilize there.

USAirALB

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I would agree however they added AZS from CLT which was way out of left field so who knows?

I do think they will continue to connect some of the VFR markets with PHL - they've added STI and KIN and I wouldn't be surprised if they added another PR airport and PAP once things stabilize there.

I believe that the only reason AZS was added from CLT is there is some type of resort contract onto the route that stipulated CLT. In any case, the route was supposed to be summer-seasonal IIRC and it looks like it was extended to operate over this coming Winter...very strange route IMO, almost reminds me of the old PHX-GYM for Club Med.

I can't remember if PHL-KIN was flown before. I know US initially operated PHL-GND, and then cancelled it after Hurricane Ivan.

US also did CLT-LRM and CLT-KIN for a while (KIN was transferred to CLT after they suspended FLL-KIN). I'm surprised AA isn't on MIA-LRM.

LCDFlight

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:28 pm

These are cool missions for the modest E175. I like seeing airplanes used to their full capability. These are long overwater trips that the E175 can do with ease.

airplanedaj

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:26 am

LCDFlight wrote:
These are cool missions for the modest E175. I like seeing airplanes used to their full capability. These are long overwater trips that the E175 can do with ease.

MIA-AXA is 1300 nm, MIA-DOM is 1500 nm. With an alternate theres no way these flights don't leave weight restricted or needing a tech stop. Especially out of these short runways. The 175 can barely do it, theres no ease about it.

LCDFlight

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:37 am

airplanedaj wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

MIA-AXA is 1300 nm, MIA-DOM is 1500 nm. With an alternate theres no way these flights don't leave weight restricted or needing a tech stop. Especially out of these short runways. The 175 can barely do it, theres no ease about it.

Then I like it even better, it will be very entertaining for crews! And comfortable for passengers. It gives you the wonder of having the service at all. We stopped on Dominica on a cruise in 1990. The guy who drove us around would be an elder today.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos