Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: AA Launches MIA-AXA, MIA-DOM

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:32 am

airplanedaj wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
These are cool missions for the modest E175. I like seeing airplanes used to their full capability. These are long overwater trips that the E175 can do with ease.

MIA-AXA is 1300 nm, MIA-DOM is 1500 nm. With an alternate theres no way these flights don't leave weight restricted or needing a tech stop. Especially out of these short runways. The 175 can barely do it, theres no ease about it.

You are confusing nautical miles and statute miles. MIA-DOM is 1229 nm and MIA-AXA is 1061 nm. AA E75's fly many routes longer than this. The DOM flight might end up restricted because of the runway length but AXA will be no problem.

N292UX

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:50 am

Totally thought this said "MIA-AXA, MIA-DOH" at first and almost jumped out of my seat. But I think these routes should do well with the E175 and I could see AA adding more weekly frequencies down the road for both cities. Also cool to see a lot of the cities formerly served by AA ATR-72 back in the SJU hub days getting AA service back, this time from MIA.

I was going to say EIS may be a future possibility too, however with its 4,600 foot runway, even the E175 can't land there.

GulfstreamFive

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 am

airplanedaj wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
These are cool missions for the modest E175. I like seeing airplanes used to their full capability. These are long overwater trips that the E175 can do with ease.

MIA-AXA is 1300 nm, MIA-DOM is 1500 nm. With an alternate theres no way these flights don't leave weight restricted or needing a tech stop. Especially out of these short runways. The 175 can barely do it, theres no ease about it.

Not sure how you are calculating that but I get 1,061nm AXA-MIA. Max range on the E175 is 2,200nm. Even with AXA runway of 5,463ft, that does not sound restricted from my point of view; but I don’t have a Type in the E175, so maybe someone who drives one can give better insight.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:39 am

N292UX wrote:
Totally thought this said "MIA-AXA, MIA-DOH" at first and almost jumped out of my seat. But I think these routes should do well with the E175 and I could see AA adding more weekly frequencies down the road for both cities. Also cool to see a lot of the cities formerly served by AA ATR-72 back in the SJU hub days getting AA service back, this time from MIA.

I was going to say EIS may be a future possibility too, however with its 4,600 foot runway, even the E175 can't land there.

DOM's runway is 4600 ft as well so EIS is definitely possible barring some local restrictions.

Zidane

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:50 am

Here is a recent AIP covering most of the islands for more informed speculation.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 39MBfwHvIU

BoeingGuy

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:53 am

usflyer msp wrote:
N292UX wrote:

DOM's runway is 4600 ft as well so EIS is definitely possible barring some local restrictions.

DOM’s runway is 5700 ft. About the same as SNA.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:39 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
N292UX wrote:

You are right. The chart I was looking at was very old. DOM-MIA should have no problems with a runway that long.

LCDFlight

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:20 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

You are right. The chart I was looking at was very old. DOM-MIA should have no problems with a runway that long.

It is cool they are giving the E175 fun work like that. Lucky planes.

LimaFoxTango

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 pm

DaveMetroD wrote:
Flew into/out of DOM on American Eagle ATR-72 from SJU years ago.

Coming in over the mountains shouldn't be a problem for the ERJ-175 as long as the visibility isn't impaired.

But what concerns me is the possibility of using runway 27 at night.
While the winds calm towards nightfall, I wouldn't want to be on an aircraft that has to go around.
Make a steep climb out of the valley with the possibility of tailwinds? No thanks.
In any case, I suspect that the use of runway 27 by an ERJ-175 is beyond the tech specs.

IIRC, the Amerijet 727 was weight restricted out of DOM.
The ATR-72 was weight restricted.
While waiting to load at SJU, we were switched to a different ATR-72.
The one that was scheduled had too much fuel on-board.
It was quicker to get another one than offload some fuel.

There's no weight restriction on the ATR 72 out of DOM. There's also no go around on runway 27 after the shoreline, and as a result of US regs I don't think they'll get approval to land on 27 day or night. Certain times of the year, the easterly tradewinds increases which would easily pass the tailwind limitation prohibiting landing on 27 as well.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:04 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
DaveMetroD wrote:
Flew into/out of DOM on American Eagle ATR-72 from SJU years ago.

Coming in over the mountains shouldn't be a problem for the ERJ-175 as long as the visibility isn't impaired.

But what concerns me is the possibility of using runway 27 at night.
While the winds calm towards nightfall, I wouldn't want to be on an aircraft that has to go around.
Make a steep climb out of the valley with the possibility of tailwinds? No thanks.
In any case, I suspect that the use of runway 27 by an ERJ-175 is beyond the tech specs.

IIRC, the Amerijet 727 was weight restricted out of DOM.
The ATR-72 was weight restricted.
While waiting to load at SJU, we were switched to a different ATR-72.
The one that was scheduled had too much fuel on-board.
It was quicker to get another one than offload some fuel.

There's no weight restriction on the ATR 72 out of DOM. There's also no go around on runway 27 after the shoreline, and as a result of US regs I don't think they'll get approval to land on 27 day or night. Certain times of the year, the easterly tradewinds increases which would easily pass the tailwind limitation prohibiting landing on 27 as well.

DOM added 1100 ft to their runway in 2010. An AT7 very well might have been weight restricted prior to 2010.

DCA350

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:36 pm

travaz wrote:
This photo of the ATR is labeled Oct 2018. Also if you google Airport DOM you get some nice Photos of a C-117:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... 3oECFcQAw#

Edit Typo

Wow, thanks for the link.. Surely if a C-17 and C-130 can serve DOM, an E-175 will have no issues.

DaveMetroD

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

DOM added 1100 ft to their runway in 2010. An AT7 very well might have been weight restricted prior to 2010.

It was December, 2010 after the improvements.
Could be American Eagle hadn't updated their manuals to reflect the airfield changes.

That link Zidane posted was good info about DOM.

I just hope the Dominica government realizes that getting same day service from a good chunk of the USA is far more important than bulldozing a chunk of the Nature Island for a runway that likely will experience crosswind restrictions.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:40 am

FYI

AXA is TQPF
AZS is MDCY
CAP is MTCH
CYB is MWCB
DOM is TDPD
TAB is TTCP
CAY is SOCA