Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TMccrury
Topic Author

UA 2167 Evacuated Due to an AirDrop picture

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:28 pm

UA 2167 from SFO to MCO was evacuated after a teen air dropped a picture of an air soft gun to other passengers. All passengers were re-screened and then sent on their way except for the teen.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2632 ... -wrong.htm

F27500

Re: UA 2167 Evacuated Due to an AirDrop picture

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 pm

TMccrury wrote:
UA 2167 from SFO to MCO was evacuated after a teen air dropped a picture of an air soft gun to other passengers. All passengers were re-screened and then sent on their way except for the teen.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2632 ... -wrong.htm

Another genius.

Boeing757100

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:08 pm

Honestly what does one get by sending pictures of guns to people who they don't even know? I guess it's just another day of the American Airline Industry in 2021....

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:59 pm

At least he didn't send nudes like people have on some other flights.

Heinkel

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm

I'v read, that in the USA there are more (real) guns than inhabitants. And in that country a picture of a soft air gun on a smartphone causes panic?

Ridiculous.

hayzel777

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Heinkel wrote:
I'v read, that in the USA there are more (real) guns than inhabitants. And in that country a picture of a soft air gun on a smartphone causes panic?

Ridiculous.

Aviation security still remains a highly sensitive subject for the public.

Who in the world wants 9/11 2.0?

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:15 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
Heinkel wrote:

Ridiculous.

Nobody. But a stupid kid Air Dropping a stupid photo - whether it’s a gun or a bong or a naked woman - isn’t a security threat.

crosscheckyyz

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
Heinkel wrote:

Ridiculous.

Nobody. But a stupid kid Air Dropping a stupid photo - whether it’s a gun or a bong or a naked woman - isn’t a security threat.

If its not then when someone leaves a note saying there is a bomb? Is this a security threat?

I don't know what a soft air gun is. I had to look up what it looks like. To me it looks no different than a real gun. But I guess that's why the TSA does not permit even replicas (toys or what not). But if you read the article, another passenger mentions the teen even made threats.

zuckie13

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Didn't you know that everything is implemented as software these days - even the guns apparently.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:41 pm

crosscheckyyz wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

If its not then when someone leaves a note saying there is a bomb? Is this a security threat?

I don't know what a soft air gun is. I had to look up what it looks like. To me it looks no different than a real gun. But I guess that's why the TSA does not permit even replicas (toys or what not). But if you read the article, another passenger mentions the teen even made threats.

A serious threat - bomb or otherwise - should be treated as such. Teenage foolishness is not a serious threat.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 pm

Utter silliness brought to us by the TSA. I was given a key chain which had a very small replica of their product once by a famous gun manufacturer in Austria, did I mention is was small and a key chain. TSA confiscated like I would use a replica smaller than a dime to hijack a plane. God gave horses more sense.

FlyEndeavorAir

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:15 pm

TSA is starting to manufacture events to keep themselves relevant.

USAirALB

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:06 am

It's kind of a double-edged sword for me. I fail to see how this could be labeled as a threat to aviation security, but then again, if someone had air dropped a similar photo in say a school setting I would understand the security concern.

It's a bizarre and inappropriate incident, and yes air soft guns do often look like actual guns, but at the end of the day, if we are to trust the security theatre that is the TSA, what is the point of having everyone everyone deplane and go through the process again?

I'm much more concerned of the susceptibility of AirDrop to say the iPads in the cockpit.

jetmatt777

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:14 am

Is there any context as to the position of the gun in the photo? A photo taken from a first-person perspective looking down at a gun in the lap of what appears to be a seated position may convey the image of it being a "live" picture taken from onboard or in the airport -- in which case, this is a totally valid response to making 100% sure everything is in order.

If the photo was of one in "general" sitting by itself on a kitchen countertop or floor of a garage would be a bit over the top.

The two images below should elicit two different responses, we have no idea what the photo was or any associated messages that were sent with it; it is too early to say the response was overblown.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos