Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CIDFlyer
Topic Author

CLT concourse E

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:03 pm

I’ve noticed on FlightAware some AAEagle Embraer 170 flights are now using concourse E at CLT. Looks like gate E16. How long have they been parking here and how is the expansion and renovation going? Was just there in Feb and noticed they were adding on to the E30ish gates.

FLIHGH

Re: CLT concourse E

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:58 pm

Envoy has been parking there for a few months now- E14, E16, and some E30s.

Roots1

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:17 pm

Yes just Envoy. Republic still parks Concourse C.

JohanTally

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Currently they are using E16 E16A E14A and occasionally E35B. Also arrivals from MZS arrive on the even side of D concourse but are ground handled by PT employees.

spinotter

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:50 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Currently they are using E16 E16A E14A and occasionally E35B. Also arrivals from MZS arrive on the even side of D concourse but are ground handled by PT employees.

Mostyn, Malaysia to Charlotte? That is an unusual flight!

Roots1

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:05 pm

spinotter wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

AZS - Samana, Dominican Republic. Flown by Envoy.

USAirALB

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:01 am

What was probably the most modern, state of the art regional terminal in the US has quickly become a royal dump and bottleneck.

The concourse is overcrowded to the point where it is near impossible to walk by people. Restrooms are filthy, with soap dispensers ripped off the wall and graffiti covered the bathroom stalls. Several gates lack jet bridges and board directly onto the tarmac, leading the humid Southeastern air to creep into the building.

While each individual gate had its own boarding area in the beginning, AA closed off the ends of some corridors and is now boarding multiple flights through the same desk, CVG C Concourse/IAH B Terminal-style.

The concourse simply wasn't designed to handle larger regional jets. Keep in mind when the concourse opened the CR7 was brand new, and most flights using the concourse were DH8 or CR2s. The fact that they are now using E-Jets on the concourse is crazy, but I guess it would make sense to consolidate all regional flights onto one concourse, and would allow C to be mainline only.

I believe CLT is in the process of adding jet bridges to every gate that currently lacks one. They are also currently in the process of building an extension onto the concourse that will add additional gates-this new area will be slightly elevated and will be designed specifically for E-Jets.

JohanTally

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 am

spinotter wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

That would be a weird one... yes I meant AZS

JohanTally

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 am

USAirALB wrote:
What was probably the most modern, state of the art regional terminal in the US has quickly become a royal dump and bottleneck.

The concourse is overcrowded to the point where it is near impossible to walk by people. Restrooms are filthy, with soap dispensers ripped off the wall and graffiti covered the bathroom stalls. Several gates lack jet bridges and board directly onto the tarmac, leading the humid Southeastern air to creep into the building.

While each individual gate had its own boarding area in the beginning, AA closed off the ends of some corridors and is now boarding multiple flights through the same desk, CVG C Concourse/IAH B Terminal-style.

The concourse simply wasn't designed to handle larger regional jets. Keep in mind when the concourse opened the CR7 was brand new, and most flights using the concourse were DH8 or CR2s. The fact that they are now using E-Jets on the concourse is crazy, but I guess it would make sense to consolidate all regional flights onto one concourse, and would allow C to be mainline only.

I believe CLT is in the process of adding jet bridges to every gate that currently lacks one. They are also currently in the process of building an extension onto the concourse that will add additional gates-this new area will be slightly elevated and will be designed specifically for E-Jets.

The 10 year master plan I've seen still shows E-concourse going away and becoming an island South of B and C Concourses where 5/23 is located. Until a massive build up of taxiways happens this airport will remain dreadfully inefficient with taxi times often times longer than regional flight times.

DeltaRules

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:10 am

USAirALB wrote:

I seem to remember E taking E170s when they first started serving CLT, with CR9s operating out of C, all of which seemed counter-intuitive at the time.

WkndWanderer

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:33 am

USAirALB wrote:

I mean it’s always been a bottleneck, dumping three prongs into the same choke point and the escalator situation have always been bad.

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 am

DeltaRules wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I seem to remember E taking E170s when they first started serving CLT, with CR9s operating out of C, all of which seemed counter-intuitive at the time.

It was operational because the CR9s were West/HP aircraft and before East cut over to SHARES only the low C gates had SHARES. Once everyone was on SHARES it made sense to switch since ground boarding is easier on CR9s and the E90s used C, though CLT never had much E90 service.

aaflyer222

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 pm

will they add bridges to any other gates on concourse e? e5a to e9 and e29 do not have them.

JohanTally

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:14 am

aaflyer222 wrote:
will they add bridges to any other gates on concourse e? e5a to e9 and e29 do not have them.

Every gate is supposed to have a jet bridge once completed. E4 and E5 have a makeshift jet bridge that is ultimately a long walkway with plexiglass windows and a roof. I'm not sure the long term plan on those two gates.

MLIAA

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:30 pm

USAirALB wrote:

A larger E-Jet concentration in CLT will send ripples through the entire Eagle network. Can I ask for your source on this?

USAirALB

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:49 pm

MLIAA wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

A larger E-Jet concentration in CLT will send ripples through the entire Eagle network. Can I ask for your source on this?

I'm a little bit confused at your statement.

Nowhere did I say that there will be a larger E-Jet concentration at CLT, just that they are now using the E-Jets on the E Concourse and that the new gates will specifically built for the E-Jets. From the E Concourse project page on the CLT website (https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/destination-clt):
This expansion also will enable larger regional aircraft to use the concourse due to the rising elevation on the north end and up-gauging of regional aircraft.

GSP psgr

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:57 pm

I feel like CLT (along with SEA) falls into the category of being in the situation where a dozen more mainline gates would make everything much more manageable for passengers. It, along with ATL and DFW feel absurdly crowded now that every other gate has a 321/739 parked at a facility which was really built for DC-9/733 capacity. American should really invest in building a dogleg extension off of B.

ATLgaUSA

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Concourse E at CLT is the worst concourse in the USA. The rest of the airport isn’t much better. I avoid connecting in CLT whenever I can.

GSP psgr

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:42 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Concourse E at CLT is the worst concourse in the USA. The rest of the airport isn’t much better. I avoid connecting in CLT whenever I can.

I think the UAX portion of A and all of C/D at IAD are worse (in different ways than CLT). F at PHL also isn't any great shakes. The two other worst are going/gone: LAX T3 and DCA 35X.

MLIAA

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:56 pm

USAirALB wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Nowhere did I say that there will be a larger E-Jet concentration at CLT, just that they are now using the E-Jets on the E Concourse and that the new gates will specifically built for the E-Jets. From the E Concourse project page on the CLT website (https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/destination-clt):
This expansion also will enable larger regional aircraft to use the concourse due to the rising elevation on the north end and up-gauging of regional aircraft.

If they’re building gates specifically for E-Jets, it means that they are expecting more E-Jets, at least to me.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to find some hard sources for rumors I keep hearing. Thank you for the link.

Boof02671

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:17 pm

MLIAA wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

If they’re building gates specifically for E-Jets, it means that they are expecting more E-Jets, at least to me.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to find some hard sources for rumors I keep hearing. Thank you for the link.

Or they could be moving the RJs/ERJs off of mainline gets to the E concourse to add more capacity for mainline jets

airplanedaj

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:20 pm

MLIAA wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

Not necessarily. They've had a pretty steady presence of 20-40 E75 departures a day pre-pandemic and YX absolutely went gangbusters there during the pandemic. I'd think AA/CLT is just going to try and move where they park from C to E to make room for more mainline flights.

As a passenger, please don't do this. C is nothing special but is so much better than E, which as everyone else has mentioned is an absolutely crowded mess.

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 pm

I wonder if CLT would ever consider adding some bus gates. They are unpopular in the US but OTOH I would rather park and take a bus than have a 40 minute taxi in to E like I have in the past.

USAirALB

Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:00 pm

I think the general idea is to move all Eagle flights off C, leaving C to mainline.

I'm not sure if mainline handles the Eagle flights on C or if its mainline, but if they are handled by Piedmont, I am sure it would be logistically easier to have all ops under one concourse.

E is bad, yes, although the city is supposed to be renovating the entire concourse soon, with the same renovations that A/B/C underwent. The renovation project was due to start last year, but was postponed due to the pandemic.

JohanTally

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I think the general idea is to move all Eagle flights off C, leaving C to mainline.

I'm not sure if mainline handles the Eagle flights on C or if its mainline, but if they are handled by Piedmont, I am sure it would be logistically easier to have all ops under one concourse.

E is bad, yes, although the city is supposed to be renovating the entire concourse soon, with the same renovations that A/B/C underwent. The renovation project was due to start last year, but was postponed due to the pandemic.

AA handles YX E175s on concourses A-D but primarily C PT handles MQ E175s on D&E. AA would like for PT to handle both MQ and YX but there isn't sufficient space on E and probably won't be unless OH scales back or PT stops flying 145s. The gates would need to be reorganized to accommodate an influx of 175s. 14 years ago it was quite common to have six or more E175s on E concourse without issues.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos