Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Unique aerial drone footage of AN-225 takeoff

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l65NY4- ... troAntonov

BTW, if you're curious about what it's like to be a crew member on these Antonov jets, this channel is worth subscribing to.

Pittsburgher

Re: Unique aerial drone footage of AN-225 takeoff

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:13 am

Fascinating, thanks for sharing! Love how he’s flying the beast wearing a T-shirt

AA737-823

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:19 am

Nice find. Plus, it's always exciting when two of your gear won't come up.

jetskipper

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:33 am

Two things that stuck out to me was how busy the flying pilot was with non-flying duties. Traditionally for US carriers the flying pilot only focuses on flying and the monitoring pilot handles lights, systems, navigation, etc. The second thing was how labor intensive the reversers looked to deploy. It looked like a two hand maneuver with the pilot’s head down.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:33 pm

RIP to that tiny drone once it felt that colossal wake turbulence

estorilm

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Seems strange to me that someone tasked with flying a one-of-a-kind aircraft and the largest of its kind in the world, would wear a tee shirt with a cheap DC headset. Combine that with the little fans and the whole thing gives me more of a student pilot / 1970s C172 vibe than a freaking AN 225 LOL.

Woofbite

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:18 pm

estorilm wrote:
Seems strange to me that someone tasked with flying a one-of-a-kind aircraft and the largest of its kind in the world, would wear a tee shirt with a cheap DC headset. Combine that with the little fans and the whole thing gives me more of a student pilot / 1970s C172 vibe than a freaking AN 225 LOL.

Fits appropriately with an Aeroflot passenger IL-62 which had lace window curtains and a roller towel in the first class lavatory.

arcticcruiser

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:37 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Two things that stuck out to me was how busy the flying pilot was with non-flying duties. Traditionally for US carriers the flying pilot only focuses on flying and the monitoring pilot handles lights, systems, navigation, etc. The second thing was how labor intensive the reversers looked to deploy. It looked like a two hand maneuver with the pilot’s head down.

I think the video shows the PM (non-flying) pilot. With the russian way of doing things (as I have seen it) the Captain flies, and the co-pilot keeps a hand on the control wheel as well as doing the supporting work (the F/E also has his hands in a lot of things) at least on the IL76 which I have jumpseated on. Different way of doing things…

MrBretz

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:05 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

I think the video shows the PM (non-flying) pilot. With the russian way of doing things (as I have seen it) the Captain flies, and the co-pilot keeps a hand on the control wheel as well as doing the supporting work (the F/E also has his hands in a lot of things) at least on the IL76 which I have jumpseated on. Different way of doing things…

I was wondering about that too and I thought he introduced at least one guy he said was the captain, I thought. And did you notice all the guys were old f..ts? Oops, I mean experienced pilots.

N14AZ

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Wow, great video. Thanks for sharing!
What a pity I cannot understand anything …

So one question: where did they fly to? I cannot identify this airport… :scratchchin:

Noray

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:24 pm

N14AZ wrote:
What a pity I cannot understand anything …

So one question: where did they fly to? I cannot identify this airport… :scratchchin:

There are English subtitles available. It's Leipzig/Halle Airport (LEJ/EDDP), recognizable by the motorway that runs between the runways.

SuperGee

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:13 am

Dmytro is the chief pilot of that cargo line (https://aircargoworld.com/news/taming-t ... ing-world/). I've seen a number of videos now of him flying that plane as PF and while he has been in the left seat on some of them, he seems to mostly fly it from the right seat as he is doing in this particular video.

Can someone give me any insight on that? Could it be that he is left handed and just prefers flying from that side? I've seen a few captains over the years who fly their aircraft from the right seat (but not many) and have always wondered why. I believe that there may be some airlines that even prohibit it.

EightyFour

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 am

Amazing footage, and a great video. It also made me realize that my Ukrainian was much worse than I thought, I could only pick out some words here and there. Luckily there were subtitles.

wingman

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Best video I've seen in a while. First, he puts on his nice jacket for landing and meeting his first customer of the day...just like me. And you can't see it but clearly he's reaching into a tool chest to get the wrench out for reverse thrusting. And no one offers to help. All these modern day Boeing and Airbus pilots would never make it. I bet Dimitri scoffs at their puny workload.

Phosphorus

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:03 pm

MrBretz wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

I was wondering about that too and I thought he introduced at least one guy he said was the captain, I thought. And did you notice all the guys were old f..ts? Oops, I mean experienced pilots.

Well, this (flying An-225) must be the top spot in the seniority list/pecking order at Anotonov Airlines. Plus it's a fairly specialized flying, even compared to their "routine" An-124 and An-22 sort of thing.
Would you expect this work to go to anyone, but most senior crews?

MrBretz

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Yes, Phosphorus, you’re right. And, wingman, I like the wrench for reverse thrusting. No computer is going to tell them what to do.

redcap1962

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:12 pm

I wonder, why nobody so far mentions or discusses the topic of this thread.... :roll: Isn't flying of a drone in the vicinity of an airfield an absolute nogo :shock: ??? How great (or better near!) could the distance of the drone to the wingtip have been...?
Last edited by redcap1962 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crownvic

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:12 pm

SuperGee wrote:
Dmytro is the chief pilot of that cargo line (https://aircargoworld.com/news/taming-t ... ing-world/). I've seen a number of videos now of him flying that plane as PF and while he has been in the left seat on some of them, he seems to mostly fly it from the right seat as he is doing in this particular video.

Can someone give me any insight on that? Could it be that he is left handed and just prefers flying from that side? I've seen a few captains over the years who fly their aircraft from the right seat (but not many) and have always wondered why. I believe that there may be some airlines that even prohibit it.

I believe when the video posts it is reverse image that is why it appears he is in the right seat. Ive noticed on split screen shots where the camera is mounted from behind he is in the left seat, but at the same time the cockpit image makes it appear he is on the right.

On a side note, I met Dmytro here in Orlando at his hotel during a recent layover, he was polite and even signed all of my Antonov Airlines model boxes and poised for a portrait with me as well.

Dufo

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:19 pm

SuperGee wrote:

I am left handed and had no issues with handling any type flying from both left and right seats. You don't even think about it when flying.

DFW17L

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Great footage. Thanks for sharing.

Why the rolling motion at takeoff?

2eng2efficient

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:24 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
I wonder, why nobody so far mentions or discusses the topic of this thread.... :roll: Isn't flying of a drone in the vicinity of an airfield an absolute nogo :shock: ??? How great (or better near!) could the distance of the drone to the wingtip have been...?

I assume Antonov Airlines signed off on this entire production, including the drone. So it’s not like it was some 16 year old having fun.

The takeoff was in Kiev. I am unfamiliar with Ukrainian air regulations and am unable to comment on how easy it was to get approval to do this (or if approval was even necessary).

Scipio

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 pm

EightyFour wrote:
Amazing footage, and a great video. It also made me realize that my Ukrainian was much worse than I thought, I could only pick out some words here and there. Luckily there were subtitles.

They are speaking Russian, not Ukrainian.

JannEejit

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:53 pm

redcap1962 wrote:

You only need to attain the necessary approvals to fly drone at an airfeld or NFZ ( no fly zone), I've done aerial surveys of airport buildings and taken off from runway intersections during quiet periods Presumably it's been set up with full permissions and safety prep ? There are all kinds of pro drones out there now aimed at professional flyers with DSLR cameras on them with big zoom lenses. I'll also assume this particular drone isn't actually as close as it looks.

Phosphorus

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 pm

2eng2efficient wrote:
redcap1962 wrote:

I assume Antonov Airlines signed off on this entire production, including the drone. So it’s not like it was some 16 year old having fun.

The takeoff was in Kiev. I am unfamiliar with Ukrainian air regulations and am unable to comment on how easy it was to get approval to do this (or if approval was even necessary).

From what I see, the takeoff is from GML (Kyiv Gostomel). It's Antonov's home base, and if memory serves, this airport is operated by Antonov company itself. It must have a bunch of quirks and exceptions, compared to a more "normal" airport/airfield, as it's a literal home of experimental flights and test pilots. All new experimental, developmental planes, and prototypes of production planes (civil and military), ever designed by Antonov, and built at Kyiv Svyatoshyn (UKKT), would be ferried to GML and have their test programs there. I would gather they may have a very enviable portfolio of permits, waivers and exceptions, compared to their more "civilian" brethren.
Ukrainian sky is generally open to general aviation, below 3000 m or so, except certain areas -- airport airspace being one of such obvious areas.

My hypothesis -- the drone was in airport controlled airspace, and it was signed off both by the airport authority (part of Antonov company) and the airline (an Antonov company); they might have run it past aviation authority as a "matter of fact" thing, if ever that. Again, GML is special, and their airspace has seen far crazier stunts. GML even has its own artificial lighting generator, for tests!

SuperGee

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 pm

These crews and ATC were having a grand time when that thing landed at OAK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwQiaH5ZsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8m6qv8NoSo

EightyFour

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:22 am

Scipio wrote:
EightyFour wrote:

They are speaking Russian, not Ukrainian.

No wonder I didn't understand much then. ;)

TheSonntag

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:01 am

estorilm wrote:

I am a student C172 pilot and the DC 10.13 is great. You can certainly wear it for long periods of time. Even my instructor uses it. And I wouldnt call it cheap, it still has the typical aviation price tag. But it is also well made.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:57 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
RIP to that tiny drone once it felt that colossal wake turbulence

It was fine; vortices from wake turbulence descend and the drone was slightly above the altitude of the wingtips as he passed. Had it been lower, and closer in, then it would have been toast.

ro1960

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm

The reverse thrust manouvre seems complicated, so much that the pilot has to let go of the yoke and lean over. Or is he doing something else?

estorilm

Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:00 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
estorilm wrote:

I am a student C172 pilot and the DC 10.13 is great. You can certainly wear it for long periods of time. Even my instructor uses it. And I wouldnt call it cheap, it still has the typical aviation price tag. But it is also well made.

Hey I have one too! I wasn't trying to trash talk DC, just thought it was amusing and that they'd probably have the best of the best considering the value and prestige of the aircraft they're operating lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos