Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Brawl on Spirit AL flight from Las Vegas to Atlanta 7/23/21

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:47 am

https://www.headlinestoday.news/2021/07 ... nta-video/

The Twitter site Las Vegas Scoop has posted a video of the altercation between the two women.

The women had a verbal exchange before the punches were thrown.

The passengers jumped to separate the women about 30 seconds after they started to fight.

It is not known if anyone has been arrested.
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

stl07

Re: Brawl on Spirit AL flight from Las Vegas to Atlanta 7/23/21

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:00 am

A flight returning from Vegas is bound to have problems

Iluvtofly

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:31 am

Seems like you better take out extra insurance if you are travelling on a US domestic flight these days !!!!!

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:42 am

This 2 min video posted to YT has more footage before the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UfBAkmbH5s

F27500

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:53 am

Very classy crowd.

braniff2hav

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:17 am

Sad. ‘Y’all wanted $9 fares.’

ozark1

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 am

Seems to me that these days, even if there was no alcohol involved, this is an in-flight extension of the society we have become.

F27500

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm

braniff2hav wrote:

This same uncivilized and antisocial behavior happens on legacy carriers too.

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm

F27500 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

It’s not a carrier problem. It’s a fare environment and passenger mix problem. There are a ton of inexperienced passengers across all carriers right now.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:53 pm

Yep.....there are people traveling now that don’t normally travel and their behavior shows it.

lat41

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:59 pm

F27500 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

But is safe to say there is a proliferation of it on the bargain carriers and Florida is often the scene, though not this time.

estorilm

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
F27500 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

It’s not a carrier problem. It’s a fare environment and passenger mix problem. There are a ton of inexperienced passengers across all carriers right now.

I think you're over-simplifying things. You're essentially stating that if you raise prices you weed-out all the riffraff. I absolutely agree that you see more of these issues on budget airlines, BUT I'm a huge aviation enthusiast with many pilot friends working on my PPL and volunteer restoring WWII aircraft etc who has been traveling since I was kid (constantly) on all my dad's business trips, which is what got me obsessed initially. However, am I going to pay 2x as much to fly on an older United plane to the same place as Southwest or something? NOPE! Do I price shop? YUP!

So you'd throw me into this crowd too because I was "cheap" lol.

I do my part, when I get a buddy pass with my pilot friends I dress up in slacks and a button-up shirt, sport coat, etc.. even if regular fare I'm not exactly a bum.

I don't think you CAN quantify a simply way of fixing this - it's society in general. Absolutely this was never an issue on early air travel due to cost, but the same thing is happening everywhere. I'd like to think I can still get reasonable fares and be a respectful and professional passenger.

freakyrat

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
F27500 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

I haven't heard of much lately but this use to be a weekly to almost daily occurrence with Spirit at DFW where the airport police had to be called out.

Speedy752

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:17 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Yep.....there are people traveling now that don’t normally travel and their behavior shows it.

Quite a few of them won’t be traveling again anytime soon

william

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Speedy752 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Quite a few of them won’t be traveling again anytime soon

And not getting tax refunds checks. When the government fines you, it gets paid, one way or another. I wish they do follow up stories on those the government goes after. It too would be a very compelling YouTube video.

FiscAutTecGarte

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Jerry Springer Airlines.

breaks your heart. wish people could treat flight like the miracle that it is and leave all of their 'other baggage' at the security checkpoint.

Chasensfo

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The vast majority of people I know who never traveled by plane have since traveled once or more since the pandemic started due to prices.

That said, if you don't like cheap airfare and the crowds they attract, avoid the ULCCs. Spirit Big Front Seat is my favorite way to travel these days (unless flying standby with chances for upgrades/extra legroom seats on mainline carriers). My Frontier LAS-BUR this week cancelled well in advance (oddly the day after launching BUR, F9 cancelled a bunch of flights for what I'm told is likely due to an inability to hire enough ground staff for the sure airport minimum wage they must be paying) and I needed a new ticket. Ok cool, $19 BUR-SNA. WRONG. F9 cancels THAT too as they decided to modify the LAS-SNA route to operate daily except for Thrusdays. Well, got $100 in credit now each for myself and my girlfriend on Frontier, but I figured this last minute ticket to LA is going to suck. Couldn't find LAS-SNA/LAX/BUR on any carrier for less than $130 one way each (when we bought SFO-LAS-BUR/LAX-SFO for $87 each, that's a lot for one flight on a cheap trip!), but then I remember Spirit restarted LAS-BUR and found 2 Big Front Seat tickets for less than the price of a single ticket on WN on the same route. If our flight ends up on World Star Hip Hop, who cares if it doesn't cancel?

No one is forcing anyone to fly on ULCCs, if some of you guys have such a problem with ULCCs being so cheap they attract these kinds of people, don't fly them. Simple, not your problem. Let the rest of us enjoy them. Hell, SFO-MSP was $500-600 roundtrip in late June even booking a ways out for some reason. With a Spirit/Sun Country/Frontier combo buying one way tickets OAK-LAS-MSP-LAS-SFO with the longest legs in premium seating, I did the whole thing for $180 (MSP-LAS was only $33!). I love ULCCs, I can't afford first class or premium economy revenue right now, on Sun Country and Spirit I can fly in the same comfort as the mainline carriers (and SY even has wifi, outlets, and streaming entertainment to boot). It's great to have these options, and I have no problem with the riff raff these fares invite so long as I get where I'm going.

To add: I think everyone should BEHAVE on planes. I travel in t-shirts and basketball shorts for comfort so I could care less how people look, but sitting down, shutting up, and being polite and pleasant to the crew and those around you is a simple procedure that every human being who travels by air should follow. I'm only saying that the astronomically higher likelihood of this happening on a ULCC flight vs a legacy airline flight doesn't bother myself or many others enough to change our travel habits. Can't beat premium seats for less than legacy restricted fare economy prices!
Last edited by Chasensfo on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bpatus297

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm

I think this is a symptom of the larger problem. The behavior of people have been going downhill fast. Put them tightly pack together on a plane and its a powder keg.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Very early spirit airlines flight to the ATL after drinking all night, what could go wrong. Both probably each were expecting a row to sleep in or empty seats

Alot of people for some reason and despite the constant media coverage expect planes especially redeyes and very early morning flights to be empty?? I just spoke with someone who assumed their $89 flight would be empty because the price was cheap, every seat was full and they were "shocked" and expecting to get a row to sleep based on the low price. They were "shocked" the plane was full and thought planes were still pretty empty somehow. A surprising amount of people only watch tik-tok and Netflix lol so.........they are not really seeing what travelling is like now

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 pm

estorilm wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I think you're over-simplifying things. You're essentially stating that if you raise prices you weed-out all the riffraff. I absolutely agree that you see more of these issues on budget airlines, BUT I'm a huge aviation enthusiast with many pilot friends working on my PPL and volunteer restoring WWII aircraft etc who has been traveling since I was kid (constantly) on all my dad's business trips, which is what got me obsessed initially. However, am I going to pay 2x as much to fly on an older United plane to the same place as Southwest or something? NOPE! Do I price shop? YUP!

So you'd throw me into this crowd too because I was "cheap" lol.

I do my part, when I get a buddy pass with my pilot friends I dress up in slacks and a button-up shirt, sport coat, etc.. even if regular fare I'm not exactly a bum.

I don't think you CAN quantify a simply way of fixing this - it's society in general. Absolutely this was never an issue on early air travel due to cost, but the same thing is happening everywhere. I'd like to think I can still get reasonable fares and be a respectful and professional passenger.

It's not really a "rifraff" point, though there's an aspect that is undeniably socioeconomic. First, there's inevitably some loss of dignity associated with air travel. Those of us who fly a lot just deal with issues like unexpected seat changes and shouting security officers. That's harder to do when you are less accustomed, and maybe harder still if the pandemic has harmed your mental health.

Second, I don't think people should be flying if they don't have the means to deal with IROPS themselves. A few years ago, we had an AA cancellation on our way to Hawaii. It wasn't clear when or if AA was going to be able to get us there. I booked walkup DL tickets and we wound up with an extra half day of vacation in Salt Lake City (which we really enjoyed - IMO it's a highly underrated tourist town) and about an 8 hour delay getting to Hawaii. I had to "float myself a loan" of about $2,000 to make it happen, although at the end of the day I was only out of pocket about $200. I'm fortunate that most of my travel spend is on a credit card with a mid-five figure credit limit, so this really wasn't a huge deal in the context of what we were spending on the whole trip. But there are folks on very cheap fares these days who can't swing something like this.

As I said before, the changes to passenger mix are not just a ULCC thing. I was in the MacNamara terminal at DTW this morning and just about every international gate had a 321, 753, or widebody going to a domestic destination. That's very, very different from how a Monday morning would have looked in the summer of 2019, and the bursting at the seams bag drop and non-Precheck security lines confirmed that.

MD8090orDRIVE

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Holy cow, that is some serious fisticuffs. Between F9 last week and now back to Spirit, I think I have it figured out, These two airlines don't have free tv or movies so they are trying to provide entertainment to there pax. :duck:

At least it wasn't Miami. Though LAS is probably worse then MIA.

ScottB

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:57 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Is there a woman twirling a "souvenir" from one of the brawlers about 1:10 in???

F9Animal

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm

Greyhound has some serious competition lately. When I was in IAH a few weeks ago, I took a walk to see the Spirit gates. I swear it was like a Michael Jackson Thriller real life experience. $9 zombies everywhere.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:15 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
It's not really a "rifraff" point, though there's an aspect that is undeniably socioeconomic. First, there's inevitably some loss of dignity associated with air travel. Those of us who fly a lot just deal with issues like unexpected seat changes and shouting security officers. That's harder to do when you are less accustomed, and maybe harder still if the pandemic has harmed your mental health.

Second, I don't think people should be flying if they don't have the means to deal with IROPS themselves.

That second point is a very good one, but it's not just financial. It's awareness of passenger rights (and the very limited carrier obligations), self-rebooking on app/web, knowledge of alternate carriers XXX-YYY, getting an airport hotel room, one-way rental cars and all of the other things that can be in the mix. Somebody's who has flown four times in the last ten years just isn't going to master that stuff. U.S. carriers used to have employees to rebook, give vouchers, and give directions to the hotel bus pick-up spot but they want to take labor out of the operation so here we are.

planecane

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
It's not really a "rifraff" point, though there's an aspect that is undeniably socioeconomic. First, there's inevitably some loss of dignity associated with air travel. Those of us who fly a lot just deal with issues like unexpected seat changes and shouting security officers. That's harder to do when you are less accustomed, and maybe harder still if the pandemic has harmed your mental health.4

Second, I don't think people should be flying if they don't have the means to deal with IROPS themselves.

That second point is a very good one, but it's not just financial. It's awareness of passenger rights (and the very limited carrier obligations), self-rebooking on app/web, knowledge of alternate carriers XXX-YYY, getting an airport hotel room, one-way rental cars and all of the other things that can be in the mix. Somebody's who has flown four times in the last ten years just isn't going to master that stuff. U.S. carriers used to have employees to rebook, give vouchers, and give directions to the hotel bus pick-up spot but they want to take labor out of the operation so here we are.

Last weekend, I had a BWI to FLL flight on WN cancelled and the rebooking was a one stop the following morning which was going to create major issues. I ended up booking a United flight IAD to FLL about three hours later (turned out to be closer to 5 when it was delayed) and taking an Uber from BWI to IAD. It cost a few hundred dollars but I was able to deal with it. I knew WN wasn't really obligated to do anything since it was a weather delay. I contacted customer service and they did give me a LUV voucher that offset part of the expense and I really appreciate them doing that.

GSPSPOT

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:22 pm

If not for TSA screenings, we'd probably see shootouts inflight, mirroring the alarming trend in most American cities. Why? I have no earthly idea.

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Greyhound has some serious competition lately. When I was in IAH a few weeks ago, I took a walk to see the Spirit gates. I swear it was like a Michael Jackson Thriller real life experience. $9 zombies everywhere.

Sounds like Terminal 4 at FLL where NK has a bunch of departures.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:46 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

It happens fast, but at about :08 in the video, the woman on the left removes her glasses, as in "I'm preparing to throw down with you." The woman on the right then walks away, but the woman on the left brings her back...and the circus ensues.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:35 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
If not for TSA screenings, we'd probably see shootouts inflight, mirroring the alarming trend in most American cities. Why? I have no earthly idea.

Why? Because it's America.

STT757

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:04 pm

If it's an ULCC crowd thing why don't we hear about these type of incidents on G4?

superjeff

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 pm

freakyrat wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I haven't heard of much lately but this use to be a weekly to almost daily occurrence with Spirit at DFW where the airport police had to be called out.

Years ago, when Spirit and US AIrways' ticket counters were adjacent to each other in DFW Terminal E, I saw that myself - it was kind of a joke with the US Airways agents - when Spirit had a few flights going out about the same time (usually about 8:00am), there were all kinds of issues requiring the police to get involved. Usually when the customers showed up and figured out they had to pay extra for boarding passes, carry on, etc.

JettNC

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 pm

If this keeps increasing, you gotta wonder, perhaps instead of phasing out the 'Temperature Checks' some airllines and airports might need to phase in 'Breathalyzer Checks'.

joeblow10

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm

STT757 wrote:
If it's an ULCC crowd thing why don't we hear about these type of incidents on G4?

I can’t find the link anymore but there was an interesting study done years ago that showed G4’s customer base was actually among the most affluent in the US

I imagine that has changed slightly as they get into bigger cities/markets, but given their market towards golf trips, family vacations, etc - makes sense

PixelPilot

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:31 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

You are trying to justify assholes here.
Name things as they are. The intricate theories of $9 tickets are just funny.
Lack of accountability is what is causing this and is fueling an entitled generation of douchebags to come out of the woodwork.
Wait till people start pushing back.

freakyrat

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
STT757 wrote:

From my former home town of SBN G4 attracts mostly families with children and retired persons. G4 also sells ancillary things like vacation packages which also attracts a whole different crowd.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:07 pm

STT757 wrote:

G4 attracts a different crowd than NK/F9, mainly retirees and families.

cynlb

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:25 pm

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

I'm a little surprised nobody tried to intervene at the beginning before it escalated.

travaz

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 pm

cynlb wrote:
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

I'm a little surprised nobody tried to intervene at the beginning before it escalated.

What I find disturbing is the crowd is egging them on with shouts and cheers. It sounds like fight night at the arena.
The only disturbance I have seen was on AA out of PHX to DFW. The argument at the gate turned psychical but PHX PD jumped right on it and they never got to board the plane so it was not an issue on the flight.

usdcaguy

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
STT757 wrote:

You have to remember that G4 doesn't serve a lot of the big cities that some of these people come from. People from smaller cities tend to respect each other, be friendlier and behave more appropriately. There are plenty of exceptions, but that's generally the case. Note as well that you usually have to have a car to get to the airports G4 serves (or at least someone to take you/pick you up), so that will automatically weed some people out.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
STT757 wrote:

You have to remember that G4 doesn't serve a lot of the big cities that some of these people come from. People from smaller cities tend to respect each other, be friendlier and behave more appropriately. There are plenty of exceptions, but that's generally the case. Note as well that you usually have to have a car to get to the airports G4 serves (or at least someone to take you/pick you up), so that will automatically weed some people out.

True, very true.

N766UA

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Seems to me that these days, even if there was no alcohol involved, this is an in-flight extension of the society we have become.

Yep, we really are garbage.

Confuscius

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Spirit ought to charge its passengers for pre-flight entertainment. Just a thought.

dstblj52

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:35 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Im not sure thats the cause more that in most g4 markets they have no nonstop competition so they get the entire cross-section on most routes

whisperjet727

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:58 pm

It’s funny. People expect someone that behaves this way in a supermarket to Byron up just because they are on an airplane? That’s a fantasy world.

F27500

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 pm

..SO for those of you imperious legacy lovers who say this "kinda thing" only happens on ULCCs (or only in America .. or Florida. . )

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/12/us/delta ... index.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/202 ... 940075002/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4GvoYgTMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbn3KUDd5z0

usdcaguy

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:09 am

dstblj52 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Im not sure thats the cause more that in most g4 markets they have no nonstop competition so they get the entire cross-section on most routes

That's true as well, though plenty will connect to stay on their preferred carrier or to access a more convenient airport.

dstblj52

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 am

usdcaguy wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

That's true as well, though plenty will connect to stay on their preferred carrier or to access a more convenient airport.

Maybe I suspect its less then we think, given how few people have status, or opinions on airports in advance

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 am

F27500 wrote:
..SO for those of you imperious legacy lovers who say this "kinda thing" only happens on ULCCs (or only in America .. or Florida. . )

LOL

Agreed its not only a ULCC thing as a.net wants people to believe. Its usually more of a Miami thing though LOL

SEU

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 am

F27500 wrote:

Its definitely not just in America, but it does seem to be a majority on lower cost carries, for example in Europe you tend to see mainly Ryanair in the news for pax behaviour over Lufthansa, or BA or something.

WN732

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 pm

F9Animal wrote:

LOL I said the same thing. I went over there a few months ago from the WN A gates and I saw folks laying on the floor, kids running around everywhere.