Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Chemist
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:51 am

Seatback entertainment is nice, but AA needs to work on their soft product. I recently flew LAX-JFK on Flagship business and the service levels were abysmal for a transcon business flight. Even United on the return EWR-LAX was better, although they fell short in other ways. All of my international business on EVA Air, Virgin, and KLM have all been better service and professionalism.
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Chemist wrote:
Seatback entertainment is nice, but AA needs to work on their soft product. I recently flew LAX-JFK on Flagship business and the service levels were abysmal for a transcon business flight. Even United on the return EWR-LAX was better, although they fell short in other ways. All of my international business on EVA Air, Virgin, and KLM have all been better service and professionalism.


I was on AA in PE TATL this week and I was told "if you want your meal, you need to go in the back galley and get it." Not bad customer service....wow.

AA is not too different than BA however. I flew them last week for 4 hours on a plywood A321 seat with no headrest or IFE. Maybe oneworld carriers are aligning?
 
BigPlaneGuy13
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm

9w748capt wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Clearly there's more to DL's profits than just having IFE. But exact as you said - DL would still be in the black, right? So does it make any sense at all that they continue to invest in seatback IFE? If they were going to print money anyway, wouldn't removing IFE add to their bottom line? But for some reason, they continue to defy the infinite wisdom of this site and invest in IFE. Clearly they think there's something in it for them, otherwise they would've stopped. And quite clearly, Kirby thinks that investing in IFE will give UA an advantage, otherwise why do it? If it simply came down to routes/network/size, UA could've accomplished that with simply expanding their fleet. But they're going to expand their fleet AND invest in the product. How's that for a novel concept unheard of in AA HQ!


Since the mods have warned about staying on topic, let's stear this back to AA: I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to their guns for a little while. It's not like their product is abysmal. I mean, they just finished retrofitting every single 738 with a very nice new interior. I've heard a lot of positive feedback from other pax observing the newness of the cabin despite the metal being over 10 years old. They definitely are better than WN as everyone keeps comparing. WN doesn't have tablet holders nor do they have power or USB. AA has all three and has mood lighting and has space bins. I think their superior route network will keep people from fleeing to other carriers. My guess is they'll use the wait and see approach and determine if their routes and new seats on the 321s and 738s are enough to keep people happy.


Positive feedback about the Oasis 738? Seriously? They're laying the kool-aid on thick these days it seems. Let's see, horrible new F seats (which they had to reinstall because Dougie was too cheap to even do a mockup first), less MCE seats, reduced seat pitch overall, and no seatback screens. I mean I guess compared to Air Koryo, AA has a good product. But when comparing to DL or what will be UA in the not too distant future? Not even close.

And WN? Really? Is AA competing with WN for business traffic to LHR? There's no point comparing the two.


Well you're comparing apples to oranges because all of AA's widebodies have IFE.

I brought up WN because many are comparing their product to them when in reality it is a step above. I didn't say it was better than DL or UA, but it's definitely better than WN. So, AA kind of carved out a niche. The last two times I flew a 738 and 738M, people were really impressed with the cabins -- I'm not joking. Granted, these folks could've just been leisure travelers, but they literally said aloud that they liked the cabins and device holders.
 
Vicenza
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:35 pm

[quote="BigPlaneGuy13"

Well you're comparing apples to oranges because all of AA's widebodies have IFE.

I brought up WN because many are comparing their product to them when in reality it is a step above. I didn't say it was better than DL or UA, but it's definitely better than WN. So, AA kind of carved out a niche. The last two times I flew a 738 and 738M, people were really impressed with the cabins -- I'm not joking. Granted, these folks could've just been leisure travelers, but they literally said aloud that they liked the cabins and device holders.[/quote]

Very good post and comments. However, are "just leisure travellers" not allowed to have an equally objective view on what they like/don't like, or is that privilege only allowed for alleged business traveller's, or a.net members? Indeed, at this point I think it very important what 'leisure traveller's like or, equally, don't like.
 
BigPlaneGuy13
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Vicenza wrote:
[quote="BigPlaneGuy13"

Well you're comparing apples to oranges because all of AA's widebodies have IFE.

I brought up WN because many are comparing their product to them when in reality it is a step above. I didn't say it was better than DL or UA, but it's definitely better than WN. So, AA kind of carved out a niche. The last two times I flew a 738 and 738M, people were really impressed with the cabins -- I'm not joking. Granted, these folks could've just been leisure travelers, but they literally said aloud that they liked the cabins and device holders.

Very good post and comments. However, are "just leisure travellers" not allowed to have an equally objective view on what they like/don't like, or is that privilege only allowed for alleged business traveller's, or a.net members? Indeed, at this point I think it very important what 'leisure traveller's like or, equally, don't like.


Oh absolutely. Leisure travel is what's driving the current market. I should have given further context: leisure travelers won't convince Doug Parker and AA to make any changes. The reason AA went from Oasis to Kodiak mods was because of pushback from their most loyal/senior frequent flier base.

So yes, while I agree leisure travelers' opinions matter, they are unlikely to move the needle with AA management based on their feedback.
 
BigPlaneGuy13
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Here's a question I'll pose for the group: does anyone think it would be at all possible that AA would consider adding IFE to first class and MCE? Surely that would be unprecedented. But then at least the most loyal of FF would have the same experience as fliers on DL and UA.
 
chonetsao
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:53 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Here's a question I'll pose for the group: does anyone think it would be at all possible that AA would consider adding IFE to first class and MCE? Surely that would be unprecedented. But then at least the most loyal of FF would have the same experience as fliers on DL and UA.


I don't see them doing for one or two classes only while ignore the coach passengers. That is a suicide plan. It is either IFE for all or for none.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 am

Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.
 
onwFan
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:34 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.

AA has seat back entertainment on all long haul planes.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.


Huh? AA's IFE has been free for years, even on the few domestic flights that still have it.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:55 am

9w748capt wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.


Huh? AA's IFE has been free for years, even on the few domestic flights that still have it.


Forgive me. I have very limited experience with AA's IFE as I've only had a couple of flights that had them on their 32Bs (I've flown Southwest mostly these past few years). I assumed they were like that of UA which I believe needed payment for full features.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Forgive me. I have very limited experience with AA's IFE as I've only had a couple of flights that had them on their 32Bs (I've flown Southwest mostly these past few years). I assumed they were like that of UA which I believe needed payment for full features.


This is a case in point. On an aviation enthusiast website, someone with enough interest in the topic of IFE did not know what AA does, or does not offer. They assume/mistook the offering to be on-par, or the same as a competitor. Extrapolate that to SkyScanner, IFE is unlikely to be a revenue draw. Corporate Contracts, Low Fares, Miles Credit Cards and maybe upgrades for FF's draw revenue. Tiny TV screens? The jury is very much out.
 
Lootess
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:58 pm

Then again the last AA safety video was better than the current one. So I guess that goes with the territory.

USAirKid wrote:
N649DL wrote:
The big thing I always pondered was how he was able to make a move to UA from AA so quickly without violating some non-compete agreement.


He didn’t have a non-compete agreement. AFAIK none of the AA execs had one at the time.


Oscar's best move was hiring Kirby. Was a big fan of the decision then and even more so now.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:16 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.


Huh? AA's IFE has been free for years, even on the few domestic flights that still have it.


Forgive me. I have very limited experience with AA's IFE as I've only had a couple of flights that had them on their 32Bs (I've flown Southwest mostly these past few years). I assumed they were like that of UA which I believe needed payment for full features.


For years UA's DirectTV system was only available to people in Y for a fee (before that they were at CO). This was even to use the crappy moving map. Sometime within the last few years all features of the system became comped for Y passengers. This was a very smart move on UA's part as I recall the fee was not worth it unless you were on a longer flight. However, it was free in F. What I really didn't like was how there were no music channels via the DTV system inflight. The other funny thing about these DTV systems on UA is they are dated and old & were mostly installed a decade ago and no doubt are likely very heavy weight-wise.

AA's AVOD system has always been free, at least when I've flown with them domestically. There might have been some content which you had to pay for, but the moving map (which was awesome, the best I've witnessed from a UI perspective), movies, and music were in general free.

It seems the argument against AVOD is mainly by people who are tech savvy and know how to get pass the technical snags on certain platforms on their devices and/or are enthusiasts who care about weight limitations onboard the aircraft in order to save money. The vast majority of people (especially those with families) seem to appreciate IFE. There are space concerns while trying to multitask, but in general these streaming systems can be a giant headache if you don't have the right updates or releases on a tablet or laptop to connect to the system.

When UA decided to use the streaming-based 777s on the long flights to HNL and some Euro destinations out of EWR, I think that's when they realized they got carried away with it and decided to consider reinstallation of IFE. The technology simply isn't there yet. Delta can't even seem to get Wi-Fi right these days as it always seems to cut out and the prices seem to keep increasing on an hourly rate.
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Who needs seatback entertainment when their FOs provide it for free.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... lot_tells/

This probably deserves its own thread. Just glad we aren’t reading about germanwings 2.0. Insanity.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:49 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
Who needs seatback entertainment when their FOs provide it for free.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... lot_tells/

This probably deserves its own thread. Just glad we aren’t reading about germanwings 2.0. Insanity.


This is kinda sad..

Although I'm surprised the other person in the cockpit didn't cut him off?
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:23 pm

N649DL wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Huh? AA's IFE has been free for years, even on the few domestic flights that still have it.


Forgive me. I have very limited experience with AA's IFE as I've only had a couple of flights that had them on their 32Bs (I've flown Southwest mostly these past few years). I assumed they were like that of UA which I believe needed payment for full features.


For years UA's DirectTV system was only available to people in Y for a fee (before that they were at CO). This was even to use the crappy moving map. Sometime within the last few years all features of the system became comped for Y passengers. This was a very smart move on UA's part as I recall the fee was not worth it unless you were on a longer flight. However, it was free in F. What I really didn't like was how there were no music channels via the DTV system inflight. The other funny thing about these DTV systems on UA is they are dated and old & were mostly installed a decade ago and no doubt are likely very heavy weight-wise.

AA's AVOD system has always been free, at least when I've flown with them domestically. There might have been some content which you had to pay for, but the moving map (which was awesome, the best I've witnessed from a UI perspective), movies, and music were in general free.

It seems the argument against AVOD is mainly by people who are tech savvy and know how to get pass the technical snags on certain platforms on their devices and/or are enthusiasts who care about weight limitations onboard the aircraft in order to save money. The vast majority of people (especially those with families) seem to appreciate IFE. There are space concerns while trying to multitask, but in general these streaming systems can be a giant headache if you don't have the right updates or releases on a tablet or laptop to connect to the system.

When UA decided to use the streaming-based 777s on the long flights to HNL and some Euro destinations out of EWR, I think that's when they realized they got carried away with it and decided to consider reinstallation of IFE. The technology simply isn't there yet. Delta can't even seem to get Wi-Fi right these days as it always seems to cut out and the prices seem to keep increasing on an hourly rate.

It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Forgive me. I have very limited experience with AA's IFE as I've only had a couple of flights that had them on their 32Bs (I've flown Southwest mostly these past few years). I assumed they were like that of UA which I believe needed payment for full features.


For years UA's DirectTV system was only available to people in Y for a fee (before that they were at CO). This was even to use the crappy moving map. Sometime within the last few years all features of the system became comped for Y passengers. This was a very smart move on UA's part as I recall the fee was not worth it unless you were on a longer flight. However, it was free in F. What I really didn't like was how there were no music channels via the DTV system inflight. The other funny thing about these DTV systems on UA is they are dated and old & were mostly installed a decade ago and no doubt are likely very heavy weight-wise.

AA's AVOD system has always been free, at least when I've flown with them domestically. There might have been some content which you had to pay for, but the moving map (which was awesome, the best I've witnessed from a UI perspective), movies, and music were in general free.

It seems the argument against AVOD is mainly by people who are tech savvy and know how to get pass the technical snags on certain platforms on their devices and/or are enthusiasts who care about weight limitations onboard the aircraft in order to save money. The vast majority of people (especially those with families) seem to appreciate IFE. There are space concerns while trying to multitask, but in general these streaming systems can be a giant headache if you don't have the right updates or releases on a tablet or laptop to connect to the system.

When UA decided to use the streaming-based 777s on the long flights to HNL and some Euro destinations out of EWR, I think that's when they realized they got carried away with it and decided to consider reinstallation of IFE. The technology simply isn't there yet. Delta can't even seem to get Wi-Fi right these days as it always seems to cut out and the prices seem to keep increasing on an hourly rate.

It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.

Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15174
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:37 am

I was just on a 77W MIA-LAX where the wifi was broken. But there were IFE screens to fall back on.
 
miaami
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:06 am

ikramerica wrote:
I was just on a 77W MIA-LAX where the wifi was broken. But there were IFE screens to fall back on.


Streaming AA Entertainment is not available on Widebodies with Panasonic Internet. They have seatback video screens to watch movies and TV shows
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:39 am

miaami wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
I was just on a 77W MIA-LAX where the wifi was broken. But there were IFE screens to fall back on.


Streaming AA Entertainment is not available on Widebodies with Panasonic Internet. They have seatback video screens to watch movies and TV shows



He's referring to the inflight wifi, but yeah.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 am

USAirALB wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

For years UA's DirectTV system was only available to people in Y for a fee (before that they were at CO). This was even to use the crappy moving map. Sometime within the last few years all features of the system became comped for Y passengers. This was a very smart move on UA's part as I recall the fee was not worth it unless you were on a longer flight. However, it was free in F. What I really didn't like was how there were no music channels via the DTV system inflight. The other funny thing about these DTV systems on UA is they are dated and old & were mostly installed a decade ago and no doubt are likely very heavy weight-wise.

AA's AVOD system has always been free, at least when I've flown with them domestically. There might have been some content which you had to pay for, but the moving map (which was awesome, the best I've witnessed from a UI perspective), movies, and music were in general free.

It seems the argument against AVOD is mainly by people who are tech savvy and know how to get pass the technical snags on certain platforms on their devices and/or are enthusiasts who care about weight limitations onboard the aircraft in order to save money. The vast majority of people (especially those with families) seem to appreciate IFE. There are space concerns while trying to multitask, but in general these streaming systems can be a giant headache if you don't have the right updates or releases on a tablet or laptop to connect to the system.

When UA decided to use the streaming-based 777s on the long flights to HNL and some Euro destinations out of EWR, I think that's when they realized they got carried away with it and decided to consider reinstallation of IFE. The technology simply isn't there yet. Delta can't even seem to get Wi-Fi right these days as it always seems to cut out and the prices seem to keep increasing on an hourly rate.

It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.

Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 6013
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:16 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.

Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.


Also, on DL full access to the IFE system was free on Alaska/Hawaii and the Caribbean (I flew DL a few times to Puerto Rico and the movies were free of charge).
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:56 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.

Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.

In 2013 US was still an independent airline and the merger was just recently announced.

US policy was that IFE was only offered on flights to Europe, Hawaii, and South America. B767s/757s that operated segments within the continental US or to the Caribbean used the overhead monitors for the safety video and video PAs only. A330s that operated within the continental US or to the Caribbean would have the individual monitors disabled in Y but were supposed to be enabled in F. The policy continued IIRC until the merger was complete.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:04 am

Well, I just got off an AA flight (on a 321s) that had the Thales seatback system. While the system itself was fine, the immediate advantage of the wireless system was not having to sit through 20 minutes of Hyatt, AA Barclay card, more Hyatt, AA cleaning, more Hyatt, the same AA cleaning video, then repeated in Spanish.......

Sorry folks, it's no contest, the wireless system wins.......

Though with that said, they both had Kong v Godzilla on them, so maybe they both lose.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 6013
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:29 am

USAirALB wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.

In 2013 US was still an independent airline and the merger was just recently announced.

US policy was that IFE was only offered on flights to Europe, Hawaii, and South America. B767s/757s that operated segments within the continental US or to the Caribbean used the overhead monitors for the safety video and video PAs only. A330s that operated within the continental US or to the Caribbean would have the individual monitors disabled in Y but were supposed to be enabled in F. The policy continued IIRC until the merger was complete.


On my last flight on an ex-US 757 in early 2020, the overhead system wasn't used at all, not even for a safety video.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4540
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 am

onwFan wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.


AA has seat back entertainment on all long haul planes.


But unfortunately, AA flies non-long haul planes on routes of around 6 hours or even more (MIA-SEA, MIA-SFO, ORD-ANC, DFW-ANC, LAX-Hawaii, CLT-SEA) and those do not have seat back entertainment.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:49 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Well, I just got off an AA flight (on a 321s) that had the Thales seatback system. While the system itself was fine, the immediate advantage of the wireless system was not having to sit through 20 minutes of Hyatt, AA Barclay card, more Hyatt, AA cleaning, more Hyatt, the same AA cleaning video, then repeated in Spanish.......

Sorry folks, it's no contest, the wireless system wins.......

Though with that said, they both had Kong v Godzilla on them, so maybe they both lose.

20 minutes is a bit of the stretch....

The wireless streaming system also features at least two ads that play before each program so it is about the same. Both UA/DL (as do most international carriers, CX is notorious for their lengthy ads that precede their programming) feature ads on their PTV system.

The only thing (yet) the wireless system doesn't feature are the sterile cockpit video PA (that includes a Barclaycard ad) and the "what's playing on American Airlines" clip that immediately follows the sterile cockpit video PA.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:18 am

Time it, being in English and Spanish it was insane, as I've been saying, I like the AA wireless system and with the exception of AA leaving my luggage in Dallas (despite the 3 hour delay) service was great.
 
BarrenLucidity
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:29 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:25 am

N62NA wrote:
onwFan wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Personally AA should just stick to its guns of offering streaming on all its aircraft (with power on all seats of course) and then reflecting having one less service by having the lower/lowest cost consistently more than its competitors. I don't recall (me personally) booking a flight based on available IFE since most of the time you have to pay for it, but in one instance they had some stuff streaming for all viewers, unlocking more features if paying for it.

On a long-haul flight I might be more tempted to not go with the airline lacking IFE, so you got me there, but can be made up for it so long as streaming is available and my electronics don't overheat or drain on power (having it connected really heats up the device anyways).

On the other hand if they deem its more profitable to have IFE on select aircraft types, better bite the bullet, swallow their pride and apologize, and do what one thinks is going to make more money.


AA has seat back entertainment on all long haul planes.


But unfortunately, AA flies non-long haul planes on routes of around 6 hours or even more (MIA-SEA, MIA-SFO, ORD-ANC, DFW-ANC, LAX-Hawaii, CLT-SEA) and those do not have seat back entertainment.


I am eagerly awaiting the day that CLT-LAX, CLT-SEA, CLT-SFO have enough traffic, and CLT has enough wide body gates, to justify wide-bodies. The 5.5+ hours in the 321s can wear on you, especially if it's a red eye. Would also take 321T, just saying!
 
luckyone
Posts: 4017
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:02 am

Speaking only for myself, I much prefer the seatback screen. Using my own device means that I have to deal with either the battery, a cord while it charges, finding some place to put the device because most aircraft do NOT have a seatback holder still, and ultimately it means having to buy something I don’t regularly use. The only tablet I have is my smartphone, and looking at that for more than a few minutes is less pleasant than a larger screen. I’ve basically no other use for an iPad so why shell out for it? And if I have more than one kid then it’s either no iPad or multiple…Also, the new products all have a bespoke headphone jack and on many of them now you can’t charge and use headphones simultaneously, or you can buy Bluetooth headphones which is one more thing to pay for, break, or lose. On a flight under two hours fine, but longer than that — give me a large seat back screen.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9883
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:06 pm

BarrenLucidity wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting the day that CLT-LAX, CLT-SEA, CLT-SFO have enough traffic, and CLT has enough wide body gates, to justify wide-bodies. The 5.5+ hours in the 321s can wear on you, especially if it's a red eye. Would also take 321T, just saying!


You probably have a better chance of seeing AVOD on AA narrowbodies than on getting widebodies across the frequencies for those CLT routes. AA's hub ops at CLT aren't built on O&D. Among the 30 largest U.S. airports for domestic O&D, CLT has the largest fraction of connecting passengers (more than DFW or ATL). It's not even close: CLT was only 24% O&D for 12 mos ending 12/2020. Connecting traffic requires frequency. If AA has 1200 passengers/day on CLT-LAX it will run eight 321s, not four 77Ws.
 
Moosefire
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:28 pm

USAirALB wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
Well, I just got off an AA flight (on a 321s) that had the Thales seatback system. While the system itself was fine, the immediate advantage of the wireless system was not having to sit through 20 minutes of Hyatt, AA Barclay card, more Hyatt, AA cleaning, more Hyatt, the same AA cleaning video, then repeated in Spanish.......

Sorry folks, it's no contest, the wireless system wins.......

Though with that said, they both had Kong v Godzilla on them, so maybe they both lose.

20 minutes is a bit of the stretch....

The wireless streaming system also features at least two ads that play before each program so it is about the same. Both UA/DL (as do most international carriers, CX is notorious for their lengthy ads that precede their programming) feature ads on their PTV system.

The only thing (yet) the wireless system doesn't feature are the sterile cockpit video PA (that includes a Barclaycard ad) and the "what's playing on American Airlines" clip that immediately follows the sterile cockpit video PA.


It’s much closer to 20 min that 0 minutes lol. Every once in a while you get an FA that’ll mute it after the relevant safety stuff. Otherwise the video is brutal.
 
BarrenLucidity
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:29 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:08 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BarrenLucidity wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting the day that CLT-LAX, CLT-SEA, CLT-SFO have enough traffic, and CLT has enough wide body gates, to justify wide-bodies. The 5.5+ hours in the 321s can wear on you, especially if it's a red eye. Would also take 321T, just saying!


You probably have a better chance of seeing AVOD on AA narrowbodies than on getting widebodies across the frequencies for those CLT routes. AA's hub ops at CLT aren't built on O&D. Among the 30 largest U.S. airports for domestic O&D, CLT has the largest fraction of connecting passengers (more than DFW or ATL). It's not even close: CLT was only 24% O&D for 12 mos ending 12/2020. Connecting traffic requires frequency. If AA has 1200 passengers/day on CLT-LAX it will run eight 321s, not four 77Ws.


Yeah, I might get rescued by the XLRs but I'm not holding my breath. We don't even have enough gates to handle more wide body routes (2019 levels) at the moment.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 6013
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:01 pm

I bought a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A7) since I most frequently fly AA since I am based in Phoenix. However, it is much more comfortable to have a built-in monitor and I would much rather have the choice. The moving map is a bonus in case there are no movies that I like, where I can watch my purchased movies (currently Tooth Fairy 1 and 2, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and Thumbelina) on my tablet as a backup while leaving the built-in monitor on the moving map.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4607
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:38 pm

How bout when the WIFI works and the plugin to charge your device doesn't? And I can't tell you how many times the WIFI was not working.

From a passenger standpoint, I love the seatback IFE. Even if it is just staring at a map. Heck, they don't even stock inflight magazines anymore. That at least gave me something to look at to kill the boredom. And really, if AA and Delta had the same fares, and almost identical schedule that works for me..... I would likely book Delta. The "What's in it for me" is a big deal. I want to get the most bang for my buck.
 
acavpics
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Chapmads wrote:
I understand not wanting to feel left behind, but honestly, don’t most people these days have a device phone or otherwise, that can stream entertainment just fine? Sure, I love the map, but I’m ok without that (heck, you could give access to that on aainflight if you really wanted to). I question many of Parker’s decisions as much as the next guy, but this one seem to be a good way to save weight while minimizing disruption.


I would not want to be staring at my small phone screen for thé duration of a movie or set of TV episodes. And I don’t usually bring my tablet with me unless I’m on a trip for more than a week or two.

So for me personally, it’s either IFE or day dreaming on the flight.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:22 pm

BarrenLucidity wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
BarrenLucidity wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting the day that CLT-LAX, CLT-SEA, CLT-SFO have enough traffic, and CLT has enough wide body gates, to justify wide-bodies. The 5.5+ hours in the 321s can wear on you, especially if it's a red eye. Would also take 321T, just saying!


You probably have a better chance of seeing AVOD on AA narrowbodies than on getting widebodies across the frequencies for those CLT routes. AA's hub ops at CLT aren't built on O&D. Among the 30 largest U.S. airports for domestic O&D, CLT has the largest fraction of connecting passengers (more than DFW or ATL). It's not even close: CLT was only 24% O&D for 12 mos ending 12/2020. Connecting traffic requires frequency. If AA has 1200 passengers/day on CLT-LAX it will run eight 321s, not four 77Ws.


Yeah, I might get rescued by the XLRs but I'm not holding my breath. We don't even have enough gates to handle more wide body routes (2019 levels) at the moment.


It's not a lack of widebody gates -- it's the concept that it's incredibly challenging to turn a profit operating a premium-configured widebody in the domestic system, without the long-haul revenues. Hence why -- sans the dedicated domestic-configured widebody fleet of UA & formerly DL -- domestic widebody flights have been rare over the past decade. And most (pre-COVID) domestic widebody flights to do are for strategic (e.g. positioning) purposes.

Even ORD-LAX is only occasionally operated with widebodies by UA/AA, just as CLT-LAX has been (e.g. 777 earlier this year, the occasional 330 in the past).
 
dredgy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Chapmads wrote:
I understand not wanting to feel left behind, but honestly, don’t most people these days have a device phone or otherwise, that can stream entertainment just fine? Sure, I love the map, but I’m ok without that (heck, you could give access to that on aainflight if you really wanted to). I question many of Parker’s decisions as much as the next guy, but this one seem to be a good way to save weight while minimizing disruption.

Most devices also aren't going to last more than two hours if you're lucky. What do you do on a 6-hour flight or a 10-hour flight.


What? Most mobile devices will last much longer than 2 hours. My iPad will get me through a 6-10 hour flight with battery to spare. On flights of that length you usually have some form of in seat power anyway.

I’m fine with a good streaming app - Virgin Australia’s and Qantas’ are both fine. In general I usually only require IFE on shorter flights - on longer flights I’m more likely to take the effort to download some things I want to watch/play, for a short flight I won’t usually bother.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:29 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
It wasn’t at the very very start. I remember being moved from US to an AA A319 (with the New American screens and all) on a CLT-DFW flight and you had to pay a little bit to unlock the full IFE. It wasn’t much though.

Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.


Stop being a contrarian. DL *DID NOT* charge for full access to it's AVOD system through 2016. I definitely remember free movies in Y going back to 2009-2010. This is simply not correct.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:01 am

N649DL wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Indeed.

NBC Universal programming was free as was the moving map IIRC. Besides that, there was a couple of packages that you could choose from. A Disney/Kids pack, a Classic Movie pack, and then a package that essentially “unlocked” the entire system.

US/AA also charged for streaming video for a while.

Both streaming video and the PTV on domestic flights became free after the merger.

UA tried a similar thing on their IPTE 777s in Y for a while before the CO merger.


UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.


Stop being a contrarian. DL *DID NOT* charge for full access to it's AVOD system through 2016. I definitely remember free movies in Y going back to 2009-2010. This is simply not correct.


My recollection is correct, and a quick Google search confirms it:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-inflig ... ment-free/
 
N649DL
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:21 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
N649DL wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:

UA charged for access to the DirectTV system until 2019, although it was complimentary on internationally-configured aircraft.

DL charged for full access to its AVOD system until 2016. Previously, satellite TV and select program was complimentary. Like UA, complete access was free on long-haul configured aircraft, as well as international flights (e.g. on flights to CUN, the system was unlocked).

I’m not certain when AA unlocked full access. But I do recall flying a US A332 from PHL-PUJ-PHL circa 2013. On the outbound, the system was not activated. The inbound featured the first merged American Way magazine, and the PTV were activated. Programming carried the AA branding. So like DL and UA, AA offered complimentary access on long-haul configured aircraft. DL’s 2016 press release indicates it was the first airline to offer complete access for free, so I suspect AA followed suit shortly thereafter.

IIRC, HA is the last domestic airline to charge for full access to IFE.


Stop being a contrarian. DL *DID NOT* charge for full access to it's AVOD system through 2016. I definitely remember free movies in Y going back to 2009-2010. This is simply not correct.


My recollection is correct, and a quick Google search confirms it:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-inflig ... ment-free/


Your recollection is completely incorrect. I recall flying the DL domestic 763s and yes, DISH, movies, music on AVOD were free between 2009-2015 when I was an initial Silver Elite Member.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:22 pm

N649DL wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Stop being a contrarian. DL *DID NOT* charge for full access to it's AVOD system through 2016. I definitely remember free movies in Y going back to 2009-2010. This is simply not correct.


My recollection is correct, and a quick Google search confirms it:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-inflig ... ment-free/


Your recollection is completely incorrect. I recall flying the DL domestic 763s and yes, DISH, movies, music on AVOD were free between 2009-2015 when I was an initial Silver Elite Member.

DISH, select movies, and music were always free, in addition to games.

Premium programing, HBO, and new-release movies had a charge.

The complete package on the IFE became free on 1 July 2016 according to this press release: https://news.delta.com/delta-becomes-on ... nment-free.

AA followed almost immediately after IIRC.

This press release (https://news.delta.com/delta-offer-awar ... ent-system) states it was $5/HBO movie and $2/HBO TV series.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:53 pm

USAirALB wrote:
N649DL wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:

My recollection is correct, and a quick Google search confirms it:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-inflig ... ment-free/


Your recollection is completely incorrect. I recall flying the DL domestic 763s and yes, DISH, movies, music on AVOD were free between 2009-2015 when I was an initial Silver Elite Member.

DISH, select movies, and music were always free, in addition to games.
U
Premium programing, HBO, and new-release movies had a charge.

The complete package on the IFE became free on 1 July 2016 according to this press release: https://news.delta.com/delta-becomes-on ... nment-free.

AA followed almost immediately after IIRC.

This press release (https://news.delta.com/delta-offer-awar ... ent-system) states it was $5/HBO movie and $2/HBO TV series.


Thank you. DL offered free satellite TV, and a limited selection of programming, but much of it was for purchase, as were games ($5 per flight IIRC).
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1953
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: AA: Possible seatback entertainment return.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:11 pm

fwiw Alaska was the first to offer 100% free movies via GoGo. Digeplayers were available for $10.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos